Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

Remember 

3 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

You got it right, EJ! 👍

Not in a million years would the thought have crossed my mind we'd find an even worse GM after CF.

And we did. That's the Wild.

An extension to KOIVU...

"We only need a few tweaks" yeah, like trade your best scorer you t*** CL...

In August BB: "our back up goalie plays more this season", in February: Dubnyk's "the guy"...

In exchange for THREE 1st round picks we get Rask, Donato and Fiala...

The FORMER team I rooted for...

wasted assets 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bear said:

Remember 

wasted assets 

Yeah... have to digest this one, this ugly m***** f****** s*** s***. I feel devastated....

I'm off to spank the monkey.

And I don't mean to go and hit Fenton in the head...

The team we had was going no where!! Everyone wants to win but when the guys you have aren't getting it done( unless you consider the first rd of the playoffs getting it done) so its time to move on. When we signed Parise and Suter I thought by now we would have won a cup, but the guys around them never developed to the point where we could count on them game in and out. Granny had a good year, then next he fell, Coyle same thing, Zucker had his best year last year and has done nothing of note this year, and Nino had some great stretches but there was no next level consistancy with any of them.... we had 6 yrs!!!! Time to move in a different direction

31 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

The team we had was going no where!! Everyone wants to win but when the guys you have aren't getting it done( unless you consider the first rd of the playoffs getting it done) so its time to move on. When we signed Parise and Suter I thought by now we would have won a cup, but the guys around them never developed to the point where we could count on them game in and out. Granny had a good year, then next he fell, Coyle same thing, Zucker had his best year last year and has done nothing of note this year, and Nino had some great stretches but there was no next level consistancy with any of them.... we had 6 yrs!!!! Time to move in a different direction

I agree with except for the bolded part. Granny has been our most consistent player the past 2½ seasons, even now he's on pace for 64 points. Well if he'd been in the Wild, willing to bet that he breaks 70 points in Nashville.

Edit: Just out of interest, took a look where Granny would be compared with the rest of the league in terms of Points per Game during the past past 2½ seasons, with atleast 200 games played as the only filter.

He ranks 32nd, right up there with the likes of Tarasenko, Benn, Pavelski etc. Ranks 30th in Total Points too.

Link to the thing

I don't know about you, but I personally feel that a guy like that is worth a 1st rounder, along with what we got.

14 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

I agree with except for the bolded part. Granny has been our most consistent player the past 2½ seasons, even now he's on pace for 64 points. Well if he'd been in the Wild, willing to bet that he breaks 70 points in Nashville.

He should thrive in Nashville. Better players around him 

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

All about dumping salary. They weren’t going to resign Granlund for over 7 mil

a year. I have no problem with this trade 

that's fine but at least get value return wasted assets

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

If Fenton's goal was simply to reduce payroll he's done great.   As far as value: Nino >>> Rask, Coyle >>Ted Drury's kid (probably more like >>>), MiG>>>>Fiala.  Three very sucky trades IMO!  Three horrible trades for the Wild!

The whole idea behind a Fire Sale is to get Picks or young prospects, not give quality players away for youngish journeymen.

And now the Wild are sliding back to the wimpy, non-physical team that gets out-muscled all the time, too.

I am 100% with you!  I cannot believe that we could only get a 'salary dump' via a younger post-injury reclamation project.  We also continue to get SMALLER and WEAKER.  Granlund is stronger than Fiala, NN was stronger than Rask, and Coyle is bigger and stronger than Donato.  Hasn't our size killed us in the playoffs?!?  Fenton has really wasted assets....I am just aghast at this return for Granlund.  I thought he should be the one veteran F we do not trade (from Staal, Coyle, NN, Zucker, etal).  The REAL COST of the Suter, Parise, and Koivu contracts is killing this team at present.

20, 9, and 11 are going to hear it from knowledgeable fans (if we have any).  Their contracts (and past playoff performance) is what caused this 'fire sale.'  I advocated a 'tear-down', but not at these returns.  We need a better GM, as he is making our division better with this trade - S T U P I D!!  At least look for a better return and out of our division.

The trade is a nice example of what is wrong with the Wild.
They say things like "we need to play our backup goalie more", "We only need a few tweaks", "We need to shoot more", etc and they continue to do the complete opposite.
So they said they want to continue to push for the playoffs yet trade their most consistent scorer. In exchange they get no draft picks for the future just a guy who shattered his Femur and people said doesn't look the same. So we really are not looking for the future either.

The team has no direct or rhyme or reason for their moves or ideas. Just throw it to the wall and hope to god it sticks. So you open some salary space but for whom? The teams core is still old as sin and entering their twilight and can't be moved. To make room for a elite/star player you are going to get right away I can understand. But to make room just cause with no reason behind it isn't exactly the smartest move and to move one of if not your most consistent scorer is really dumb.

So what is the game plan Fenton? Sort of, half try, a rebuild but by only moving key guys for journeymen and no draft picks? But you want to make noise in the locker room and move contracts for money? So you move Granlund but keep guys like Zucker and Staal who are making 3.5 million and 5.5 million and are doing absolutely nothing? Only thing it tells me is keep the overpaid guys not doing jack chit and sell off the guys who are effective and working hard every game. I guess we will see what happens but as of right now Granlund should have gotten us a draft pick and Fiala.

3 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

The trade is a nice example of what is wrong with the Wild.
They say things like "we need to play our backup goalie more", "We only need a few tweaks", "We need to shoot more", etc and they continue to do the complete opposite.
So they said they want to continue to push for the playoffs yet trade their most consistent scorer. In exchange they get no draft picks for the future just a guy who shattered his Femur and people said doesn't look the same. So we really are not looking for the future either.

The team has no direct or rhyme or reason for their moves or ideas. Just throw it to the wall and hope to god it sticks. So you open some salary space but for whom? The teams core is still old as sin and entering their twilight and can't be moved. To make room for a elite/star player you are going to get right away I can understand. But to make room just cause with no reason behind it isn't exactly the smartest move and to move one of if not your most consistent scorer is really dumb.

So what is the game plan Fenton? Sort of, half try, a rebuild but by only moving key guys for journeymen and no draft picks? But you want to make noise in the locker room and move contracts for money? So you move Granlund but keep guys like Zucker and Staal who are making 3.5 million and 5.5 million and are doing absolutely nothing? Only thing it tells me is keep the overpaid guys not doing jack chit and sell off the guys who are effective and working hard every game. I guess we will see what happens but as of right now Granlund should have gotten us a draft pick and Fiala.

This trade reeks/smells of three things:  Salary Dump, Desperation, and Lack of Plan B.  Clearly, CL has done a 180, and told Fenton to 'trade whatever you can and reduce salary for whatever you can.'  There is likely no plan other than that.  Further, this team will look like a hollowed out husk to any FA they might be chasing - Old, overpaid, entitled, Lazy buzzards (9, 11, 20) and a bunch of loose parts and youngsters thrown together.  No additional picks, and strange fits into a new team - where the hell does Rask fit?  Donato has started out strong, but is supposed to be short on D ability, is clearly small, and has some warts.  Fiala is damaged goods, small, never at the Granlund level, and is a strange trade target (as he is of the same stature now as Parise, Zucker, Donato, Kunin, etc).  Where in the HE77 is the Plan, you ask?  There simply isn't one...CL is a Tard (no offense), and Fenton is carrying out the vision of an owner in need of a drool cup.....

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

Very interesting thing to think about. The team got built around Suter, Parise and Koivu. These 3 guys would never win a cup for a team by themselves and even paired up can't. Yes the guys around them never developed into players that would compliment those 3. But as we seen when they go off to other teams, aka Haula, Tuch, Nino for a short list example, and allowed to pair the hockey their skill set allows them they flourish. I believe when we would see these guys look good here it was because they were starting to use their skill sets instead of trying to develop a skill set to help the big 3 out. Eventually they would get forced back into doing something their skill sets don't really allow them to do.

And you would hear it how they are trying to find ways to get Parise or Suter going again when they are on awful droughts including breaking up great scoring lines. Everything about this team is to nourish and protect the big 3. Not part of the big 3 then expect to figure out your issues on your own. You better quickly too as your TOI will continue to drop to the point you will be benched.

I don't think these players we traded were bad or just not developing. It was that they were not developing to what the Wild wanted them to be cause they never really bothered to look at their skill set and develop that way.

This is what the start of a fire sale looks like.. and I am fine with it. I would have liked more back for Granny, Coyle Nino but who's to say Fenton could get anything more back? these might have been the best offers. I expect more to be done prior to or during the draft also. The Wild need a culture shift and its not going to happen over night and we probably aren't going to be happy with most of the trades but its how you start a rebuild and thats exactly what this going nowhere past the first round(if they even make the playoffs) team needed.

Sadly most of the guys we REALLY want gone have no trades or no movements or whatever Fletch loved to hand out like candy and its going to take them being very unhappy to get them to waive those. Fenton is moving what he can when he can. I think some of us including myself overvalue a lot of the players on this team. Sometimes a GM just has to take whats offered if he really wants to make a trade and change.. especially when other teams know how the Wild are in a bind with other contracts and players.

The bad part is we have to watch players that get shipped out succeed more than they did here because other teams will put them in better situations with better players than the Wild ever would/could.

I look at it this way.. big picture there is a good amount of cap space being free'd up for the future and if it continues Fenton can make a run at some quality free agents in the next few years as well as keep the cap space for our young players that will eventually earn raises in the case that Parise, Suter and Mikko's bloated contracts are still around for years to come.

Hahaha! After last season the wild boards lit up with anger that CL announced they were a tweak away. Now they realize that a tweak wasn't feasible and are breaking the team up, and shockingly (not really) the forums light up with the same dudes pissed that they aren't tweaking the roster. Face it guys, the majority of the fan base just isn't as excitable as you are. We all know that Granlund. Coyle, and Nino weren't going to hoist the cup here so who cares. The truth is most of the Wild players aren't worth a whole lot, they are all just over achievers. So go kick rocks for awhile have a beer, or twelve, and relax. 

Maybe let this thing play out. Fenton hasn’t even been here a year yet. Again the guy has his hands tied somewhat with those terrible contracts of Suter and Parise. I’m on the side of giving this guy some more time. Rome wasn’t built overnight 

4 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Maybe let this thing play out. Fenton hasn’t even been here a year yet. Again the guy has his hands tied somewhat with those terrible contracts of Suter and Parise. I’m on the side of giving this guy some more time. Rome wasn’t built overnight 

Lol... The GM only gets a few months to prove himself here. That's why MN sports always fail, they invest so much emotion into the players, good and bad, they never look at the bigger picture. The players they traded were of little value, except Grandlund. The core of this team can't be moved, but building for their departure is the smartest thing I've seen the wild do in years. So good for Fenton! 

Just for fun go look at the Bruins, canes, and preds pages. Not one thread started about their newly acquired players. That's how little value those guys had around the league.  So ask yourself, how was Fenton supposed to get high picks, top prospects, and great players in return if what he was selling was a marginal talent.

Archived