Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

10 minutes ago, puck_hawg said:

Just for fun go look at the Bruins, canes, and preds pages. Not one thread started about their newly acquired players. That's how little value those guys had around the league.  So ask yourself, how was Fenton supposed to get high picks, top prospects, and great players in return if what he was selling was a marginal talent.

Screw ignorant, non-used fan pages.  Go to actual, professional hockey websites.  Personally, I don't need other people to tell me what to think.  I've been watching the game for a long time and can form my own opinions.  Claiming Nino, Coyle, and MiG are nobodies is ridiculous.  MiG has a phucking stamp for phuck's sake.  Nino has been a stud in International tournaments.  Coyle has a ton of talent, size, skills and an excellent attitude.  They had/have a lot of value.  But Fenton sold stupidly cheap on all three of them.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, puck_hawg said:

Just for fun go look at the Bruins, canes, and preds pages. Not one thread started about their newly acquired players. That's how little value those guys had around the league.  So ask yourself, how was Fenton supposed to get high picks, top prospects, and great players in return if what he was selling was a marginal talent.

You're talking about the pages over here? Keep in mind that this is relatively small site yet. So activity is very minimal apart from a few team forums.

But checking other forums, people are more than happy that Nashville kept Tolvanen, Fabbri and their 1st rounder, considering they got Granny and Simmonds.

2 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

You're talking about the pages over here? Keep in mind that this is relatively small site yet. So activity is very minimal apart from a few team forums.

But checking other forums, people are more than happy that Nashville kept Tolvanen, Fabbri and their 1st rounder, considering they got Granny and Simmonds.

Yes...thank you.

We are still small and humble and in no hurry to get large and arrogant ;)

Although good new fans of ANY team are always welcome.

Judging fan opinion on pages we don't have many fans for yet isn't advised and not a good basis for an argument of for or against talent they picked up!

This isn't a deadline trade, but the Minnesota Wild did extend Eric Staal today...
2 yrs, 3.25M per.
Not bad.

We can't have EVERYONE on the team under 25 with little to no NHL experience, now can we?
Plus, its nice to have a guy like Staal who actually wants to be here and try to be part of the solution.

He has been more than solid since he got here.
I am fine with his term and AAV given to him.

10 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Screw ignorant, non-used fan pages.  Go to actual, professional hockey websites.  Personally, I don't need other people to tell me what to think.  I've been watching the game for a long time and can form my own opinions.  Claiming Nino, Coyle, and MiG are nobodies is ridiculous.  MiG has a phucking stamp for phuck's sake.  Nino has been a stud in International tournaments.  Coyle has a ton of talent, size, skills and an excellent attitude.  They had/have a lot of value.  But Fenton sold stupidly cheap on all three of them.

I agree with that bolded statement, but none of those things translated in cup wins, or even meaningful playoff pushes. 

I worked all night snow removal, took a nap, woke and found we gave Granny up for who? No picks? So Fenton only brings in guys he knows, trading with his former boss to bring the band back together. I still consider the Wild my home state team but GO Jets Go. I thought we were clearing salary for a stud.......basically resigned Staal with Coyle's allowance money and did nothing with Nino and Granlund savings. I baffled.

24 minutes ago, puck_hawg said:

It was meant as a joke. Thanks for the lecture though. 

Sorry, missed the joke.  Nino I could rationalize and make excuses and minimize how chitty the trade was for the Wild.  IMO the Coyle trade sucked big time, but the fact is we really don't know how good the Donato kid could become, and we could be nanosecond yards and pretend the last few games actually are relevant.  But MiG for Fiala is outrageously stupid and light years from a legit trade, it's a flat out stupid giveaway.

I am now totally on the Darkside.   When's the weekly Hater Club meet?

41 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

In a nutshell, Fargo is right.  NN, Granlund, and Coyle were all picked in Round 1; at 5, 9, and 28 of the same draft.  They have each scored more than 20 goals more than once, and have all hit 40+ points more than once.  Thus, these are not 'journeymen' players; from a pre-draft scouting or post-draft performance perspective.  Only two years ago, they were considered the 'cornerstones of the Wild' from a Team perspective.  After one off year of injuries for NN and Coyle, and a bit of team-wide scoring stagnation stretches this year, they are all 'overvalued by us and worth only what we could get??'  Sorry, I am not buying this.  This was a desperation sale caused by no Plan B from management.  Rask, Donato, and now Fiala, do not have the same pre-draft pedigree nor post-draft performance (I know two are still young).  Rask and Donato were not 1st round picks, while Fiala was #11.  None of these three players have even produced one year that was 'average' for NN, Coyle, or Granlund.  While they are younger, and much smaller (or softer in the case of Rask), there are some big holes in their game, and they don't do anything 'above average' - skate, shoot, defense, size.  This means that there is low potential for any of them to even approach an average year for NN, Coyle, and Granlund.  Thus, why many of us are saying that we did NOT GET 'like value'.  Fenton was gamed, as everyone knew we were/are desperate to throw together some trades to complete a 'salary dump,' as we ARE going to get eliminated from the playoffs.  But, what FA will want to come here next year? 

21 minutes ago, Antti_Laxative said:

It's curious trading one midget for another. Was it solely for the money? If so, are bigger plans in the future with the extra cash ... Or is it a Miami Marlins-type move?

Marlins, clearly....No one will come here.  So, unless they are going to get Kaprisov with the $, nothing changes

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This isn't a deadline trade, but the Minnesota Wild did extend Eric Staal today...
2 yrs, 3.25M per.
Not bad.

We can't have EVERYONE on the team under 25 with little to no NHL experience, now can we?
Plus, its nice to have a guy like Staal who actually wants to be here and try to be part of the solution.

He has been more than solid since he got here.
I am fine with his term and AAV given to him.

IMO that's an excellent signing for the $..  But kind of irrelevant now that Fenton has gutted the team and it'll probably suck for several years, at least!

I've been sold on Greenway and have warmed a lot towards Kunin but IMO you're silly if you think EEk is going to be as good as Mikko.  IMO dark days ahead for the Wild.

No more bidtching about 1st round outs, this team is going to be a bottom feeder for years.  Back to the Past.  Another smoke up the azz 5 Year Plan on the way!

I agree that the trades, on paper, look like a fleece job.   My fleeting hope is now centered on two outcomes.  1) Fenton is the genius talent evaluator that some have suggested and Donato and Fiala turn out to be something special. 2).  He's created some cap space and he'll end up using it for the #1 Center,  elite scoring winger and future goaltender which IMO, the Wild desperately need.   That said, the Nino-Rask deal and the lack of, IMO fair value in return for Granny have seriously raised my doubts on Mr. Fenton.

@Fargocase

Well, if we are gonna be bad for a while, let's at least hope this current Wild front office knows how to select high draft picks....been so long since Minnesota had those opportunities....
Hoping for Petterssons and Hischiers, and no Yashins and Prospals…. ya know? :)

I am absolutely a believer that the Playoffs are a new season.  I'm not going to bore anyone with examples, there are MANY (Sakic, Forsberg Colrado; Van Booturdzi, Morrison, Naslund)  so I reject the claim the Wild would inevitably lose in the 1st Round this year or any year.  

Until now.  Fenton has 100% pucked this roster.  I absolutely question his basic competence and hockey intelligence.   Wasn't he some fringe grinder for Calgary back in the old days? As a GM, I'm stunned at how he's destroyed this roster for garbage returns.  ALL HE GOT WAS ONE 5TH ROUND PICK?  SERIOUSLY?

HELP ME, I'M HAVING FLASHBACKS TO NEAGLE AND DUMSTER DOUG DAYS!!!!

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Fargocase

Well, if we are gonna be bad for a while, let's at least hope this current Wild front office knows how to select high draft picks....been so long since Minnesota had those opportunities....
Hoping for Petterssons and Hischiers, and no Yashins and Prospals…. ya know? :)

Based on the Filip Johansson pick this past draft, I wouldn’t trust Fenton to pick his nose...

I like the trade. Granny has always been overvalued here and this year the lack of shooting killed this team. We were not going to win the cup this or next year, more than likely, and his $8 mil number is incredibly high for what he produces here.

We got younger again and broke up most of the youngs that did not pan put to star status. I would have liked a prospect but if Fiala turns out to earn a similar $8mil number this is a big win for the Wild. 

Through these deals the team got younger and less expensive. These guys earn some contracts we have a solid core when we get the Russian Reinforcement.

3 hours ago, TonyOday said:

I like the trade. Granny has always been overvalued here and this year the lack of shooting killed this team. We were not going to win the cup this or next year, more than likely, and his $8 mil number is incredibly high for what he produces here.

We got younger again and broke up most of the youngs that did not pan put to star status. I would have liked a prospect but if Fiala turns out to earn a similar $8mil number this is a big win for the Wild. 

Through these deals the team got younger and less expensive. These guys earn some contracts we have a solid core when we get the Russian Reinforcement.

No one comes to a bottom feeder.  The Russian Reinforcement you speak of (Kaprisov)?  Why would he come to an old, decrepit team run by 3 Country Clubbers that run the team?  They will say that he 'shoots too much' and 'doesn't play two-way hockey like Koivu.'  They also ignored him after drafting him for months.  I don't see it.  What #1C is going to come to the Wild with this mess?  If one does come, we will have to GROSSLY OVERPAY like we did for 11 and 20.  We should have asked for all draft picks, versus other teams discards.

Rask still burns me up.  Older, very expensive, hurt often, soft, and no average or above average skill.  He reminds me of Ennis - not in stature or play, but in having no purpose on this roster.....We will see long-term on Donato and Fiala, but I don't like the size issue (when we already have one come playoffs).

3 hours ago, TonyOday said:

Definitely, the team is going to be younger, will have more energy and a speed. I had a chance to listen the whole post gamer radio show after the Wild’s win over St.Louis. I think it was a very nice discussion. The key word of that show was the word –solid play makers are not enough for the team’s success; we also need to look for the more consistent creative scorers (low creativity in scoring is a major negative part of our team) and because of that a certain trade was going definitely to happen on Monday. Every season we (fans) have seen boring games; minimal creation in production was going through the mentality of our team; team many times did not work hard entire 60 min. per game. This season was not an exception too. The number one player on this list for trading was the most valuable team's play maker Mikael Granlund. That means I was not surprised that they traded him first of all. Wish him the best in Nashville, who is extremely good player. Of course, I wished to see in addition to Fiala at least a 2nd or 3rd draft pick this season. Maybe they cleared some salary cap space for the future Russian reinforcement (not only for Kaprizov, but maybe Panarin and Bobrovsky) too? Who knows? Just wish to our team an evident progress in results. Sincerely, I have more depressed about our team’s play this season than the previous 2 regular seasons. Even not talking about other animal – Stanley Cup playoffs in which we are usually a down sided team in scoring. Traditionally, the players are the main team’s problems to achieve a significant success but not coaches. The art is to find the best fit for the entire team. Maybe Kevin Fiala will be one of them? Interesting, when I looked on his stats through the hockey elite prospects link - I found about his promising traits is a creativity (look for a Rafik Soliman description there). We need that and hope we will see that out of him.

13 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Sorry, missed the joke.  Nino I could rationalize and make excuses and minimize how chitty the trade was for the Wild.  IMO the Coyle trade sucked big time, but the fact is we really don't know how good the Donato kid could become, and we could be nanosecond yards and pretend the last few games actually are relevant.  But MiG for Fiala is outrageously stupid and light years from a legit trade, it's a flat out stupid giveaway.

I am now totally on the Darkside.   When's the weekly Hater Club meet?

Welcome to the fold...OMG...are you a minion now?!?!

Grandlund >< Fiala

Granlund was one of the guy that I was ok to be moved. And, as a swiss guy, I really like Fiala: he has a great potential, quick, great skills and don't worry, his broken femur won't be an issue. As severe as it sounds, this kind of injury heals very well with little to no consequences. It's way worse if it involves tendons, articulations, especially at the level of the knee or, even worse, the shoulder. So I'm elibigle to have a strong bias in favor of this trade.

However, I think it's a terrible one. The return -- well, the no-return -- is ridiculous. I hardly believe that Fiala will be grater here than in Nashville because he won't be surrounded by enough talented players.

Besides the salary dump, by looking to the overall picture of this transaction period, I fell it was more making moves to make moves. Like if Fenton wanted to show that his hands are free and that he has 100% latitude to command those trades.

With Nino, Coyle, and Granlumd, the Wild were a mediocre team at best. Each year they fight to make the playoffs, and the last three years have been bounced in the first round. The Wild were never going to be better than that with the core that former GM Fletcher  put in place, and the contracts he gave Parise and Suter. 

I like the recent moves, in that it shakes up the status quo, got rid of three players who were not playing up to their salary cap hit (one might argue that Granlund was) and gives Fenton some desperately needed salary cap space. And with Donato and Fiala they got younger and faster.

We can all agree to disagree and only time will tell how all of this shakes out. Again I’ll give Fenton more time than the short time he’s been with the Wild 

Archived