Wild Trade deadline day

Jimtown guy

14 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Up until the recent trades... The future of the Wild was being given to Coyle and Granlund. Both of them were given far more ice time when it seriously wasn't warranted (their rookie year and the year after) and from then on they've still received prime treatment - of the core of younger players that everyone accused of not stepping up enough.

However, while the Coyle, Granlund and Nino's of the team were accused of not stepping up and growing as anticipated; they actually had gotten better, but the aging core that Leipold keeps protecting by feeding them all kinds of ice time, cushy contracts and verbal rave... They haven't done squat to 'up their game' and the reality is their game has all dropped off (due to age.)

Why did I say Leipold? Because the same turn of events keep repeating themselves regardless of who the had coach is or who the GM's are. What I see are a bunch of investors sitting at a table blindly committing this team to where they think it needs to be... Because there's not one head coach (in our case there's been 4: Richards, Yeo, Torchetti & Boudreau) across the rest of the NHL that serves an owner (and two different GM's: Fletcher & Fenton)... By not being able to put one frikking line together [which spans 10 years now*] for more than a month and leave it the hell alone. Can ANYONE other than truly frustrated Minnesota Wild hockey fans comprehend that dreadfully embarrassing feat?

* Richards was signed as head coach in 2009. Since then it's been what I call 'Scrambled Eggs' for all the line changes this team keeps seeing.

So ummm, what's in the water in those meetings anyway? Could there, or can there be any other reason for such stupid moves since Leipold took over?

Post of the Year ^^^^ ... ;) ...Too much? The red asterisk was a nice touch and brought some sparkle to the post. :P 

It is strange how much CL has put his influence (which is oddly close to influenza) with the GM. Normally you hire someone to run the business and report back to you. I know CL's a 'fan' of the game but he needs to have some confidence in his GM and back off.

The "Scrambled eggs" has driven me nuts for a long time. I never realized it's been that long. Wow.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Story out of Calgary on TSN suggests Flames are angry that a deal that would have brought them Zucker was electronically miffed before the deadline. Will we ever know what player or picks were involved on their end? Good thing it fell through, based on how Zucker has upped his game....

58 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Story out of Calgary on TSN suggests Flames are angry that a deal that would have brought them Zucker was electronically miffed before the deadline. Will we ever know what player or picks were involved on their end? Good thing it fell through, based on how Zucker has upped his game....

Wonder if it was because Staals agent kept Fenton on the phone for so long looking for an extension...🤔

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Nino aged 26, Coyle 26 and Granny 26 around 800 points together, three 1st round picks themselves acquire us a 5th round pick.

Pull your head out. These guys were not getting it done. Changes need to be made. Get over it. You've divorced yourself from the Wild anyway so what difference does it make to you. Your just a troll now...

Wild Trade Deadline: Fenton's Follies

This is an article from our new writing partner Aaron Lindgren!  Aaron was the host and one of the founders of 3 in the Box #mnwild podcast.  He gives a full overview of all of the Wild's deals and gives his take on who he felt got he better end of the trades.  Check it out and discuss.  

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

This is an article from our new writing partner Aaron Lindgren!  Aaron was the host and one of the founders of 3 in the Box #mnwild podcast.  He gives a full overview of all of the Wild's deals and gives his take on who he felt got he better end of the trades.  Check it out and discuss.  

If I didn't know better I swear this was written by me! I was prepared for guys I liked to be traded but I expect some kind of rhyme or reason to it. We didn't stock draft picks but we sure didn't improve either to make a run. Yes, Donato is looking great but go back to looking at the stats on paper and both players play and try to convince anybody this trade looks good. Fenton got very lucky with this trade (at least at this time of the post). Fenton saved money but what for? If you want to save money then, as a fan of him, the signing of Staal makes no sense. Yes it's cheap but he is on the very downside of his career. That money would have been better saved. The moves just don't make a lot of sense.
I also am not a fan of Fenton trying to collect all of his guys he helped get in Nashville. This shows me his only plan is to make us the Nashville Predators by trying to get all of their players. Going back to the well over and over hoping it doesn't dry up is not a sign of a good GM.

There's going to be pain and the franchise will probably bottom out but with the right drafting and signings in 3 years it might be worth it.

Keeping Granny, Zucker and others would simply mean being mediocre for longer.

That is obvious, I guess, but trading those players now instead of in the summer seems bad timing.

15 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Awesome! Tell Aaron, Jive and Kenny whats up from Bemidji next time you talk to them! I haven't been on facebook for a couple years so I kinda lost touch with them! if you want some good stories ask them about the Mad Hatter shows up here! 😂

13 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

Awesome! Tell Aaron, Jive and Kenny whats up from Bemidji next time you talk to them! I haven't been on facebook for a couple years so I kinda lost touch with them! if you want some good stories ask them about the Mad Hatter shows up here! 😂

Sounds interesting.  I haven't even heard this.  Sounds like something that needs to be told over a few beers.  

On 2/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, Icechipper said:

Apparently the deal for Zucker was Michael Frolik and a pick. Yuk. I am seriously questioning Fenton’s ability as a GM if he thought that this was a good deal...

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Apparently the deal for Zucker was Michael Frolik and a pick. Yuk. I am seriously questioning Fenton’s ability as a GM if he thought that this was a good deal...

Oh, and apparently Zucker’s agents are pissed about this trade because Fenton hasn’t even spoken to Zucker about it to try and smooth things over. And the guys that represent Zucker also represent Spurgeon, who is a UFA after next season. So that could be an interesting negotiation.

It’s slmost as if Fenton’s plan is to get rid of everyone that had anything to with Fletcher and sign as many Players he helped draft. 

13 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If that was the trade I vote Fenton worse then Fletcher! No wonder Calgarys GM is "white out" pissed off the trade fell through. If this happened then the fans should have boycotted the Wild just passed on that Fenton is retarded.

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Oh, and apparently Zucker’s agents are pissed about this trade because Fenton hasn’t even spoken to Zucker about it to try and smooth things over. And the guys that represent Zucker also represent Spurgeon, who is a UFA after next season. So that could be an interesting negotiation.

It’s slmost as if Fenton’s plan is to get rid of everyone that had anything to with Fletcher and sign as many Players he helped draft. 

If this is all true too and Fenton said nothing to Zucker but listened to Staals cries of not being moved we have Fletcher 2.0 and this team is in serious trouble. To resign a old vet who is declining at a rapid rate and not consider trading him but trade a young talent for another guy 12 years into his career who has only 155 points in 382 games more then a guy who is entering his prime and has shown big flashes is insane. We would have to have a 1st round pick in the top 7 spots to make this worth it. Back to catering old vets who are shells of themselves and collecting Nashville players Nashville considers not good enough to keep. Sigh............

3 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

If that was the trade I vote Fenton worse then Fletcher! No wonder Calgarys GM is "white out" pissed off the trade fell through. If this happened then the fans should have boycotted the Wild just passed on that Fenton is retarded.

If this is all true too and Fenton said nothing to Zucker but listened to Staals cries of not being moved we have Fletcher 2.0 and this team is in serious trouble. To resign a old vet who is declining at a rapid rate and not consider trading him but trade a young talent for another guy 12 years into his career who has only 155 points in 382 games more then a guy who is entering his prime and has shown big flashes is insane. We would have to have a 1st round pick in the top 7 spots to make this worth it. Back to catering old vets who are shells of themselves and collecting Nashville players Nashville considers not good enough to keep. Sigh............

That's what Russo is reporting as the rumored trade. He said he was going to verify it Saturday when he is in Calgary. And Russo also said a LOT of GM's around the league are kind of taken aback that all Fenton got for Granlund was Fiala...

Something to consider with Staal too. The Wild now have Staal, Koivu, Rask, Eriksson-Ek and Kunin as centers. That's five centers and only four center spots. What do you think will happen next season when Koivu comes back? I guarantee it won't be Koivu or Staal losing ice time...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

That's what Russo is reporting as the rumored trade. He said he was going to verify it Saturday when he is in Calgary. And Russo also said a LOT of GM's around the league are kind of taken aback that all Fenton got for Granlund was Fiala...

Something to consider with Staal too. The Wild now have Staal, Koivu, Rask, Eriksson-Ek and Kunin as centers. That's five centers and only four center spots. What do you think will happen next season when Koivu comes back? I guarantee it won't be Koivu or Staal losing ice time...

Hasn't Kunin played a lot at the wing though?

2 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Hasn't Kunin played a lot at the wing though?

Yes.  Kunin has been on wing all year.  And Mikko won't be ready start of year anyway.  Hand wringing over nothing.

I waited a few days here to soak in the Grandlund to Nashville for Fiala deal.   It absolutely sucks. 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, sweetshot said:

Pull your head out. These guys were not getting it done. Changes need to be made. Get over it. You've divorced yourself from the Wild anyway so what difference does it make to you. Your just a troll now...

You just don't trade away a top point producer on your team.  Its just not done unless you are bottom feeding in the standings and trying to fire sale or dump salary. 

I still can't believe the stupidity of this trade.  And to a central divison opponent no less.  

Still trying to figure out why?  salary?  no chance of resigning him summer 2019? 

I suppose we won't know until this time NEXT year if the trade was worth it.  With no draft picks in exchange its the only thing to guage is player against player.. 

Coyle, Neidos OK..  But Granny should have NOT been traded away.

19 hours ago, Fighting_Saint said:

I waited a few days here to soak in the Grandlund to Nashville for Fiala deal.   It absolutely sucks. 

You just don't trade away a top point producer on your team.  Its just not done unless you are bottom feeding in the standings and trying to fire sale or dump salary. 

I still can't believe the stupidity of this trade.  And to a central divison opponent no less.  

Still trying to figure out why?  salary?  no chance of resigning him summer 2019? 

I suppose we won't know until this time NEXT year if the trade was worth it.  With no draft picks in exchange its the only thing to guage is player against player.. 

Coyle, Neidos OK..  But Granny should have NOT been traded away.

Fenton is desperate to just change the roster, and reduce payroll - none of our returns will lead us to a Cup.  He is NOT concerned about a 'like value' trade; just a trade. 

He is also getting played by GMs (I have heard/read 'fleeced,' 'robbed,' amongst other adjectives in media).  Only Donato has PLAYED his way towards making his part of a trade deal look beneficial for the Wild (doesn't mean the trade was 'like value,' as he was dropped to AHL, while Coyle still had Top 6 time on the Wild and Top 9 on Bruins - and I understand Boston has a better line-up).  Rask has been a disaster.  Fiala is TBD, but Granlund already has an assist in first game.  Granlund is a stronger asset by ANY measure, and isn't yet that expensive (and wouldn't be too expensive for the Wild if we would quit investing in declining geriatric players).   

What is sorely lacking, is that there is NO PLAN, and there are NO DRAFT PICKS that matter (only a 5th!?!) from the trade of these assets.  Also, he is only NOT moving all the millstone contracts/players.  I get that their contracts are horrendous, but try to give them away any way you can (and eat salary).  Keeping all the Country Club together even still, will only lead to garbage results, which just might not be bad enough to get a Top 5 pick; which we desperately need (assuming we can scout and draft this time around).  

Lastly, the incestuous pursuit of former Preds players that he was involved in drafting reeks of idiocy and trying to validate past mistakes.....Just my $.02.  I have no faith in Fenton - handcuffed or not, as he is now reacting as a naïve and desperate imbecile would to remake a roster just to remake a roster.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:16 AM, sweetshot said:

Classy. Nothing relevant to say in the entire thread so you come to flame me. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to express my opinions of a team, a fan or not. But hey, you as a self appointed mod/board police probably decide this. Troll? I don't think so. I guess you taking a stab at me allows me to take one back...

You sweetshot? More like (cheap)sheepshot. You pull your head out... sheepshot.

1ekbhd.jpg

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Classy. Nothing relevant to say in the entire thread so you come to flame me. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to express my opinions of a team, a fan or not. But hey, you as a self appointed mod/board police probably decide this. Troll? I don't think so. I guess you taking a stab at me allows me to take one back...

You sweetshot? More like (cheap)sheepshot. You pull your head out... sheepshot.

1ekbhd.jpg

Not impressed with the political hyperbole!

After last year's tweaks comment by Leopold I thought the wild could possibly have a chance if they increased the speed of the team and played a more aggressive forecheck.

Try to play a more puck control game rather than dump and not chase.

The wild did none of that!

Hard to believe but they got slower!

Fenton has at least brought in more speed and skill.

9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Couldn't find another sheep meme with a bucket in it's head. Sorry to disturb you, pal!

Disturbed?  Nah!   Not impressed?   Yeah....

Archived