Wayne Simmonds traded for Ryan Hartman

OccamsRazor

4 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

I think we could of gotten a little bit more. 

Ok so where do you get this....so you're trying to tell me someone offered more and Chuck refused and went with this??

It went down 3 minutes before the deadline that to me tells me there was this offer on the table and he was trying for more but there weren't anymore dumbasses left after Lombardi was fired for Blake....i am guess as much as you i guess.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Wishing I was wrong, but knew I wouldn't be, when I told people to be ready to be underwhelmed by the return. There was talk of 1st round picks AND a good prospect. That's just not the return for power forwards playing on the back nine.

Exactly and for a guy asking for way to much on the wrong end of his career....who has also lost his mojo on the PP who doesn't play well 5 on 5....there just isn't a market for those type of guys.

NHLnetwork was saying he wants a 5 year deal around 8 mill per.

I would be soooooooooooooo pissed if Chuck gave him that kind of money and term and to a guy who will be 31 at the start of next year.

No thank you.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so where do you get this....so you're trying to tell me someone offered more and Chuck refused and went with this??

It went down 3 minutes before the deadline that to me tells me there was this offer on the table and he was trying for more but there weren't anymore dumbasses left after Lombardi was fired for Blake....i am guess as much as you i guess.

Dude for freak sake calm down man... You are all over me and the rest of the people on this forum if they have a slight difference of opinion than you. You are like a damn attack dog at times responding to every single persons post. RELAX all I said is I THOUGHT we could of gotten a little bit more, I never said it was FACT damn man....

I even said I agree with you and I like the trade....

2 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Dude for freak sake calm down man... You are all over me and the rest of the people on this forum if they have a slight difference of opinion than you.

WTF are you talking about you said you think he could have done better. So i asked you where do you get that from.

Maybe you should calm down if you can't handle someone asking a question about a statement you made.

Don't get bent out of shape and then act like someone else has the problem.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF are you talking about you said you think he could have done better. So i asked you where do you get that from.

Maybe you should calm down if you can't handle someone asking a question about a statement you made.

Don't get bent out of shape and then act like someone else has the problem.

lol thank you for proving my point... and I never said he could have I said I thought he could have. Damn did I hit a nerve or something?

LOL and I thought I needed to get laid damn....

Relax it's all good man we are on the same side!

lol thank you for proving my point... and I never said he could have I said I thought he could have. Damn did I hit a nerve or something?

LOL and I thought I needed to get laid damn....

Relax it's all good man we are on the same side!

What i just quoted you a couple post back. It was exactly what you said.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey Stone just got 8 years 9 mill per season and he has never score even 29 goals in a season.

Stone will be 27 not 31 next season.

And the Knights overpaid.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This stuff has gotten out of hand.

Agreed there. Absurd. That said Stone will likely have a better center than he has had before.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe after Wayne sees this offseason he comes back and signs the 3 year deal they offered him.

That might be the best outcome for all concerned...

Wayne's been the best value player in the NHL. I can see him wanting to cash in, doubly so if he gets on the Cup with the Preds.

21 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Easy boy calm down.... I am one of the few here so far in agreement with you on the liking of this trade, I was merely pointing out that I think we could of gotten a little bit more. 

He was seriously asking for 8 mil per?

Ok help me out here is this not you??

Look i ain't trying to fight with you and as you said we are in agreement.

So let's not fight then i am not trying to. Ok but i thought it was you who said this.

So i was just asking a question on where do you get this all i am asking. Nothing more noone is mad or at least i am not just an honest question is all.

Is this an assumption?

If this was an assumption then yes i was hoping for more too.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok help me out here is this not you??

Look i ain't trying to fight with you and as you said we are in agreement.

So let's not fight then i am not trying to. Ok but i thought it was you who said this.

So i was just asking a question on where do you get this all i am asking. Nothing more noone is mad or at least i am not just an honest question is all.

Is this an assumption?

If this was an assumption then yes i was hoping for more too.

YES FINALLY haha its all good bud no biggy boss man I apologize for any inconvenience.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Stone will be 27 not 31 next season.

And the Knights overpaid.

Sure no argument there waaay over paid. Hey i guess they will get a get out of jail free card next lockout. That is crazy and no way would i have wanted the Flyers to sign him (Stone who i wanted too) to a deal like that.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Wayne's been the best value player in the NHL.

Without doubt he got screwed on his last deal for sure. Hey i'm happy for him if he can get the money that is rumored he seeks.

I don't want it to be Philly.

I think i would be ok with a 3 year deal for about 6.5-7 mill tops.

Sounds good to me but I hope that style of play comes with 20 to 25 goals a year.

He put up 19 his rookie year on a bad Blackhawk team so we'll see.

I think he will be on a line centered by Patrick and Laughton on the left side.

If he can help just not put the team down a man it will help a bunch he has basically half the penalties Simmer had.

Plus he is a solid 5 on 5 guy who will actually back check not "pretend too"...hey i hope he works out.

Worst case they flip him for something else. I think they at least sign him to a two year deal after this year to carry him to 27 and UFA status.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

He always gets the best deal HE can get. And he usually gets taken.

The previous GM traded an almost 40 year old player who hadn't even played that year for 2-2nds.

So Fletchers excuse for sucking as a gm is because he was a puppet? Well that gives me a ton of confidence with Homer calling the shots. 

I guess we'll see.

So, several things.

First, there was a deal with Calgary that Simmonds veto'd. We don't know what the deal was. Could it have been better? Maybe. But this was the best deal the Flyers were going to get. They weren't getting a first round pick and a top prospect for Simmonds. It simply wasn't happening. Simmonds play has simply degraded, as it does with power forwards who are on the wrong side of 30. Watch Simmonds this year and he was really labouring with regards to his skating. He didn't have the same swagger on the power play that he usually does, which is his bread and butter. Age had caught up with him. Nobody in their right mind was going to pay a high price for Simmonds. Bob McKenzie, perhaps the best insider in all of hockey, posted on twitter that many of the pro scouts he talked to were very cautious about acquiring Simmonds. Nobody was paying a big price.

As for Timonen, Chicago overpaid for the veteran experience he brought to the table. On top of it, even before the blood clots kept him out most of the year, the prior year, Timonen still put up 35 points. The other thing to consider is that defensemen age better than power forwards. That's why the Flyers were able to extract two seconds out of Chicago. They weren't going to get that for Simmonds. I don't get why people are so hard done by that fact. The value with Simmonds wasn't there. To add to it, it certainly didn't help that the idiot GM in Ottawa sold his players for pennies on the dollar, driving down the value of UFA forwards. That also played a big part in Simmonds. Now, where I blame the Flyers is that they needed to unload Simmonds at the start of last summer. There was no way, even if Hextall were here, that they were going to get a superb deal for him. 

As for Fletcher and being a GM in Minnesota, absolutely GMs rely on their scouts with regards to drafting. No matter how you slice and dice it, the scouts are the ones who are out there scouting the junior players, the European players, the NCAA players. Yes, some GMs will get out to the odd game to scout talent, but overall, GMs are relying strongly on their scouting staff with regards to drafting players. Minnesota's scouts absolutely sucked. That's not Fletcher's doing. He's now on a team and franchise that has one of, if not, the best scouting staff in the NHL. Competent and good scouts makes any GM's life easier. 

As for the Flyers, Hextall was fired because he basically cut off all communication with the people above him. That was apparent from Holmgren and Hextall's press conferences. I'd bet that if Hextall kept Holmgren and Scott apprised of everything, there would be no issues. Fact is, Hextall did not respect Scott in any way and that's going to lead to a short shelf life when you openly respect the CEO of the company you work for. The fact that Fletcher talks to everyone in the organization makes his job easier. If Fletcher were being pressured by Holmgren and Scott, do you not think he would have tried to swing for the fences and make a big move to try to qualify for a playoff spot? Exactly. He could have flipped all sorts of talent to acquire veterans that could have increased the Flyers chances for the playoffs, but he didn't. So, clearly he has a vision that he's communicated with Scott and Holmgren and they're satisfied with what he's doing.

And don't forget, Fletcher has a HUGE ace up his sleeve in the organization in Bobby Clarke. Even though Clarke is a 'figure head' within the organization, his words probably carry more weight than Holmgren's do. So, he's got a backer that will defend him. Don't forget that Clarke is someone who values loyalty and Fletcher is someone he really likes, especially when you consider it was Clarke who helped Fletcher into the management side of things. 

2 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

do we have to choose between being in the Homer/Scott camp or the Clarke camp? because I don't like either one of those options regarding who's calling the shots with the team. 

Homer Was, and is, Clarke's protege.

To pretend there's some sort of difference between them is hilarious.

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So, several things.

First, there was a deal with Calgary that Simmonds veto'd. We don't know what the deal was. Could it have been better? Maybe. But this was the best deal the Flyers were going to get. They weren't getting a first round pick and a top prospect for Simmonds. It simply wasn't happening. Simmonds play has simply degraded, as it does with power forwards who are on the wrong side of 30. Watch Simmonds this year and he was really labouring with regards to his skating. He didn't have the same swagger on the power play that he usually does, which is his bread and butter. Age had caught up with him. Nobody in their right mind was going to pay a high price for Simmonds. Bob McKenzie, perhaps the best insider in all of hockey, posted on twitter that many of the pro scouts he talked to were very cautious about acquiring Simmonds. Nobody was paying a big price.

As for Timonen, Chicago overpaid for the veteran experience he brought to the table. On top of it, even before the blood clots kept him out most of the year, the prior year, Timonen still put up 35 points. The other thing to consider is that defensemen age better than power forwards. That's why the Flyers were able to extract two seconds out of Chicago. They weren't going to get that for Simmonds. I don't get why people are so hard done by that fact. The value with Simmonds wasn't there. To add to it, it certainly didn't help that the idiot GM in Ottawa sold his players for pennies on the dollar, driving down the value of UFA forwards. That also played a big part in Simmonds. Now, where I blame the Flyers is that they needed to unload Simmonds at the start of last summer. There was no way, even if Hextall were here, that they were going to get a superb deal for him. 

As for Fletcher and being a GM in Minnesota, absolutely GMs rely on their scouts with regards to drafting. No matter how you slice and dice it, the scouts are the ones who are out there scouting the junior players, the European players, the NCAA players. Yes, some GMs will get out to the odd game to scout talent, but overall, GMs are relying strongly on their scouting staff with regards to drafting players. Minnesota's scouts absolutely sucked. That's not Fletcher's doing. He's now on a team and franchise that has one of, if not, the best scouting staff in the NHL. Competent and good scouts makes any GM's life easier. 

As for the Flyers, Hextall was fired because he basically cut off all communication with the people above him. That was apparent from Holmgren and Hextall's press conferences. I'd bet that if Hextall kept Holmgren and Scott apprised of everything, there would be no issues. Fact is, Hextall did not respect Scott in any way and that's going to lead to a short shelf life when you openly respect the CEO of the company you work for. The fact that Fletcher talks to everyone in the organization makes his job easier. If Fletcher were being pressured by Holmgren and Scott, do you not think he would have tried to swing for the fences and make a big move to try to qualify for a playoff spot? Exactly. He could have flipped all sorts of talent to acquire veterans that could have increased the Flyers chances for the playoffs, but he didn't. So, clearly he has a vision that he's communicated with Scott and Holmgren and they're satisfied with what he's doing.

And don't forget, Fletcher has a HUGE ace up his sleeve in the organization in Bobby Clarke. Even though Clarke is a 'figure head' within the organization, his words probably carry more weight than Holmgren's do. So, he's got a backer that will defend him. Don't forget that Clarke is someone who values loyalty and Fletcher is someone he really likes, especially when you consider it was Clarke who helped Fletcher into the management side of things. 

Well said bud. Post of the day in my mind. Sometimes perception and reality don't align. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Should have at least waited for the effects from the last head banging to subside before posting. 

Probably true but I still don't like this trade and am so fed up with the management of this team. Wayne isn't having a great year but others are talking about him like his career is basically over and he is going to whither away. Nobody on the team is having a "great" year but I could easily see Wayne having a bounce back season next year and get back to what made him a beloved Flyer. I didn't know that he wanted 5 years at 8 mil though, that is a bit absurd and I'm glad the Flyers didn't entertain that thought. Hate to see him go and wish he would have been willing to stick around for less but I still think we should have gotten more for him. 

Archived