Make or Break Time

B21

After losing Mattaa, Letang and Dumoulin another defenceman bit the dust last night when Chad Ruhwedel went down and did not return after a big hit from Nick Foligno (you know it's bad when Ruhwedel going down is a concern).  The Pens also lost Bryan Rust after a big hit by Adam McQuaid. After the game, Rust was spotted on crutches. Ruhwedel in a sling.  Props to the rest of the D for holding up again while shorthanded - Schultz and the oft-maligned Jack Johnson especially. 

Maybe a little adversity is what this team needed.

45 minutes ago, B21 said:

Maybe a little adversity is what this team needed.

sheesh, is there anyone left to play defense ?

That's enough adversity for anyone. Just curious, how many goalies have you gone through ?

What is injury and the timetable for Letang's return? 

He fell awkwardly in that scrum, i think it was Ghotisbehre that "fell on him" I don't know how else to describe what happened he was twisting and falling and had a man's weight on him while doing it...

The hit on Doumolin had an unfortunate result, I imagine he's out for at least another week?

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

sheesh, is there anyone left to play defense ?

That's enough adversity for anyone. Just curious, how many goalies have you gone through ?

What is injury and the timetable for Letang's return? 

He fell awkwardly in that scrum, i think it was Ghotisbehre that "fell on him" I don't know how else to describe what happened he was twisting and falling and had a man's weight on him while doing it...

The hit on Doumolin had an unfortunate result, I imagine he's out for at least another week?

I heard Sergei Gonchar might come off the bench. Zach Trotman played almost 19:00. Yikes.

Everyone is "day to day" with a "UBI" with the exception being Dumoulin and his concussion. The rumor on Letang was possibly a neck issue which is not good considering his history there.

Goalies are fine. Murray is Murray. DeSmith has been a more-than-capable back-up and Jarry is waiting in the wings in WBS.

25 minutes ago, B21 said:

DeSmith has been a more-than-capable back-up

I think he should seriously be considered for the team's MVP this year. He played well above his pay grade while Murray was out.

The way Letang fell looked scary, looked like Ghost let up pretty quickly once he realized Letang was hurt too.

Having participated in a few of those kinds of brawls it does take a few seconds to understand what's happening and then again to calm down.

My thought after the Bujstad trade was your team could be pretty good going into the playoffs, now that's looking dicey. Sorry that's happening.

@B21

well look, there's realistically 4 more years where this group challenges as a top contender in the East, right ?

It is a shame that one of those years gets "wasted" due to injuries.

It reminds me of the pre-first, lock-out Hitchcock led Flyers team that was decimated by injuries in the series vs Toronto.

That was a very good team that had guys playing with broken bones and dudes off the street vs Tampa, it was their best shot at winning but it was done in by injuries.

I can relate is all...

Archived