Bunch of jerks good or bad for the game? (poll)

yave1964

Hurricanes celebration good or bad for the game?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Canes celebration good or bad for the game?

• Yep, anything that gets butts in the seats for a small market team is good
    • God it is awful, i agree with Cherry
    • Who cares it is a fad and will fade soon anyway

The Hurricanes have been doing postgame celebrations when they win bordering on cheesy that the fans simply love, bowling, dominoes, throwing tee shirts that say 'bunch of jerks' into the crowd,  doing the limbo, crashing as a team into the boards, essentially a home win is guaranteed to end with something corny. Led by Justin Williams the players seem into it, the fans love it everyone is happy. 

Well Maybe not Don Cherry who called them a bunch of jerks and says they are defiling the game. All I can say about racist Don, has he seen his suits lately?

Aside from Cherry and some other old time purists it seems that most folks are at the least alright with it, many are very enthusiastic over it.

So that is the poll question, do you like it? Do you hate it? Do you nothing it knowing it will fade into oblivion on its own?

Heh...
I voted option 1, good for the small market and anything to get butts in seats.

I've often said about teams such as Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Dallas, and yes, even those high flying Lightning, that for a team in a non traditional hockey market, relevance to fans ultimately comes down to...…...MARKETING! And that may include some harmless gimmicks too.

Sure, winning, arena location, and star power play into things as well, but many would be surprised what a good marketing plan and some gimmicks can do to grab interest within a fanbase....and even those who wouldn't normally give a team like the Canes the time of day (like Mr. Cherry), a reason to even talk about them...…..even if it comes down to calling them "a bunch of jerks!". 

Brilliant all around, I say, from the Carolina viewpoint. And they even went ahead and made friggin T-SHIRST with the jerks comment on them!??   %$#@ing johnny on the spot timely excellence, I tell ya....

This could also be a fad too (remember the rat thing with the Florida Panthers? yea, that doesn't ring the memory bells with some younger fans nowadays), and it could go away, but as long as it is working now, then I say the Canes should just roll with it.
And if the team continues to win or even just put out an entertaining product on and OFF the ice, then they will continue to grab fan mindshare and continue to pop up in NHL news throughout the US and Canada....even if its because others think they are being stupid.

Hey, as long as they are being talked about, right? Exactly.

And if all this really is just a fad, then fine.
If the marketing geniuses over in Raleigh don't lose heart, they can simply come up with something else.
In fact, they do this long enough, don't be surprised if other teams attempt similar.

Which leads me to...……. Gritty.
A Philadelphia fanbase, strong and long tenured obviously, STILL needed something to hang their hats on because Philly has been ridiculously awful for many years now...………..enter Gritty to capture the imaginations of people everywhere....even people (like me) who think mascots are kinda dumb.

But people talk about Gritty, people endorse Gritty, they berate Gritty, they praise and ridicule the Flyers for it all at the same time.....but bottom line is, marketing there got people talking about a Flyers franchise when the on-ice product was anything BUT talk worthy.
Marketing, gimmicks, mindshare.

Carolina has caught on to that, and kudos to them...………….BE AS STUPID, SILLY, AND AS MUCH OF A JERK AS YOU WANNA BE!
As long as people talk about and are aware of you, then its all good...…….and it DOES help that the Canes do put out a good product on the ice as well.

Don Cherry needs to fire his tailor and be more concerned with lowering the decibel levels of his wardrobe rather than worry about those jerks down in Raleigh...………  :bigteeth:

My opinion, Carolina is doing a great job of entertaining their fans so what is the harm? The moment they start to lose again it will fade from memory but for now it is making hockey fun in a market that has been stagnant at best.

And anything that upsets that damn fool Cherry is quite alright by me.

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Well Maybe not Don Cherry who called them a bunch of jerks and says they are defiling the game. All I can say about racist Don, has he seen his suits lately?

First of all I love it. Who gives a f**k what Cherry has to say in the first place.

But I will answer your question cause you a good dude.

I don't care either way. Best way to stop them is to beat them.

Not to change subjects or anything but it should be a helluva matchup tonight.

Caned vs Blues I admit I don't know who plays where but it don't matter both teams are playing some outstanding hockey should be a barn burner. 

I have to pull for the Blues in this case my Flyers need all the help they can get (and it still may not be enough).

Looks like it's too late to lose for Hughes...

@OccamsRazor

Yeah the Blues at Carolina is the game I had circled for today, I never in a million years thought that a goalie duo of Mrazek and McBackup would be good enough to have the Canes fighting for a playoff spot.  I am DVR'ing it because the wife and I are going to the Lake Erie Monsters/Laval Rocket game with a couple of the grandkids. 

I think the Celebration will fade but for now the Canes are being talked about instead of ignored. Any press is better than no press.

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I think the Celebration will fade but for now the Canes are being talked about instead of ignored. 

Exactly.

And man I would love to have their coach love ol Roddy.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:32 PM, yave1964 said:

So that is the poll question, do you like it?

Taking it to a whole notha level....

Bunch of jerks...

8-2 in their last 10.......have won 5 in a row...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:00 PM, yave1964 said:

@OccamsRazor

Yeah the Blues at Carolina is the game I had circled for today, I never in a million years thought that a goalie duo of Mrazek and McBackup would be good enough to have the Canes fighting for a playoff spot.  I am DVR'ing it because the wife and I are going to the Lake Erie Monsters/Laval Rocket game with a couple of the grandkids. 

I think the Celebration will fade but for now the Canes are being talked about instead of ignored. Any press is better than no press.

Archived