Has Scott Gordon done enough to be retained at the Flyers Head Coach for the 2019-2020 Season?

Lunatic

Who should the next Coach of the Flyers be?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the next Coach of the Flyers be?

2. 2. Has Scott Gordon done enough to be retained as the Flyers Head Coach for the 2019-2020 Season?

I'm not a fan of his system. Players cede possession too easily dumping the puck in or out. 

I wouldn't be mad if he stayed on as the PK coach. I think in general, his personnel usage is fine to good. But the system belongs to the HC, and his just isn't NHL-level.

I don't know that the players quit on him, so much as ran out of gas. They were playing at a Lightning-level pace for 1.5-2 months. It finally caught up with them. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am jumping in late here and didn’t read all the replies, but I say that’s a hard no.

1)I heard that he just kept Hakstol’s system in place 

2) he got yelled at by a 20 yr old 2nd year pro. on National television. 

I would then go get Q under contract before the draft. Is that is possible? This team needs a hard look by the new coach and they got to do something with this roster. There is too much talent on this team to suck so hard. They haven’t given a **** since 2011-12 and that says a lot. 

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

2) he got yelled at by a 20 yr old 2nd year pro. on National television. 

Totally missed this, when was this? Is there video?

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Me too......and we know ruxpin ain't no 20 years old.....even doubling that wouldn't be enough...

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

It’s not crazy disrespectful, but it’s not good either. 

I am torn here with the team. Maybe it’s deeper than a coach. This summer may get 2007 free agency crazy.

edit: I thought it was the Saturday game not the Dallas game, but still not good.

11 hours ago, Bertmega said:

It’s not crazy disrespectful, but it’s not good either. 

I am torn here with the team. Maybe it’s deeper than a coach. This summer may get 2007 free agency crazy.

edit: I thought it was the Saturday game not the Dallas game, but still not good.

That is a hard one without knowing what is being said i wouldn't be that upset about it. I have seen way worse.

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is a hard one without knowing what is being said i wouldn't be that upset about it. I have seen way worse.

Yeah that is true. They probably are arguing over whether Miller Lite tastes great or is it less filling. 

7 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Yeah that is true. They probably are arguing over whether Miller Lite tastes great or is it less filling. 

I thought they were arguing over who gets to hit off the girl tee box at the course this offseason.

Patrick said he does clearly since he only has one goal in the last 21 games of the season.

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

It's also possible (I said possible) they're not even arguing.   It's possible Patrick is really riled about something on the ice, something an opponent or even a teammate did and Gordon is trying to calm him.    He could even be upset about something he himself did.  

Clearly Patrick is agitated, but it doesn't necessarily have to be about Gordon.  It could be.   But all this because Gordon seems to have an "I know, I know, but..." or "Okay, Okay, but..."  response at one point.  Almost like a "yeah, I get it, but i need you to hear this."   

I could also be way off, but that's the impression I got from it.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's also possible (I said possible) they're not even arguing.   It's possible Patrick is really riled about something on the ice, something an opponent or even a teammate did and Gordon is trying to calm him.    He could even be upset about something he himself did.  

Clearly Patrick is agitated, but it doesn't necessarily have to be about Gordon.  It could be.   But all this because Gordon seems to have an "I know, I know, but..." or "Okay, Okay, but..."  response at one point.  Almost like a "yeah, I get it, but i need you to hear this."   

I could also be way off, but that's the impression I got from it.

That very well could be true too. Crossing Broad made a brief stink about it. I fell for it too. 

I don’t think Gordo is all that bad, but I agree with others that Fletcher is going for his big name coach.

9 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

That very well could be true too. Crossing Broad made a brief stink about it. I fell for it too. 

I don’t think Gordo is all that bad, but I agree with others that Fletcher is going for his big name coach.

Yeah.  I definitely agree Fletcher is going for his big name coach.  I actually think he needs to.

So long as it's the right big name coach.  Like, if Minny axes Bruce Boudreau, I hope it's not that big name coach.

As for the video, who knows?  He really could have been arguing.  I just watched  it again and I think I clearly read Patrick's lips say, "I said I wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese!  I can score there!"   And Gordon said, "Okay, okay, let me check to see if Claude's restraining order applies to all of them or just the one in Ottawa."

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I actually think he needs to.

He actually does the last coach with a nice resume who coached them was Lavy.

So yes once in for all we know is it because they aren't getting coached right and don't have the right system.

Or is it finally just on the damn players and time to blow the core up.

The crazy thing is this team from the speed mobile defense seems to be perfect for Lavy' jam system...just saying.

Bring Q on.

And if he doesn't want any part of this stink then they are screwed...

I just don't see how Fletcher does not bring in a coach.  

I would think he's not taking the job unless he has some leverage to actually ice a team he envisions, that starts with a coach.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1114927476797403136

@FriedgeHNIC: There is a real sense today that the process between FLA and Joel Quenneville is much further along than many of us realized. It’s not a done deal, but it’s close. It would not be a surprise if this process closes in the near future.

https://www.philly.com/flyers/flyers-coaching-search-joel-quenneville-scott-gordon-nhl-draft-lottery-20190407.html

Dan Bylsma, hired by Fletcher as Pittsburgh’s AHL coach when he was an assistant GM with the Penguins, Alain Vigneault (648-435-35-98 career record), and Guy Boucher, the former coach at Tampa Bay and Ottawa, are believed to be among the Flyers’ candidates if Quenneville is hired by Florida.

Wow -- I want less than nothing to do with any of those guys. What's with the NHL regurgitating the same failed coaches ad nauseam? 

6 hours ago, elmatus said:

https://www.philly.com/flyers/flyers-coaching-search-joel-quenneville-scott-gordon-nhl-draft-lottery-20190407.html

Dan Bylsma, hired by Fletcher as Pittsburgh’s AHL coach when he was an assistant GM with the Penguins, Alain Vigneault (648-435-35-98 career record), and Guy Boucher, the former coach at Tampa Bay and Ottawa, are believed to be among the Flyers’ candidates if Quenneville is hired by Florida.

Wow -- I want less than nothing to do with any of those guys. What's with the NHL regurgitating the same failed coaches ad nauseam? 

Ok, WTF has happened to this franchise?  Are we seriously talking about who will be our second choice for coach when we lose our first choice to FLORIDA...seriously???  I also read that the Panthers will be a major player in getting panarin.

I'm sick of this BS.  The eagles made a major move to get a franchise QB who propels the team to win a superbowl.  They are still expected to be a top team in the next few years.  The Sixers did what they did to basically have 4 to 5 stars in their starting lineup.  Everyone seems to be psyched about that.  The Phillies wouldn't be outbid for Harper.  Not only that, they replaced basically 1/2 their lineup with stars, and they are really exciting right now.

The flyers didnt hire anyone special after firing their coach and GM, they did nothing at the trade deadline, they missed the playoffs again, and now we're not even mentioned for getting the top coach or any top free agents.  I didnt think losing Snyder would have such an affect, but this franchise has just gone to nothing since he died.

56 minutes ago, icehole said:

Are we seriously talking about who will be our second choice for coach when we lose our first choice to FLORIDA...seriously???

Miami weather...a lot of time to golf and no state taxes is very attractive.

And then if they do plan or going and signing Bob and Panarin to add to the already solid team they have. That is an attractive job.

And no real pressure. You come to Philly there would be a lot of pressure. And a mess to sort out. STRESS KILLS.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Miami weather...a lot of time to golf and no state taxes is very attractive.

And then if they do plan or going and signing Bob and Panarin to add to the already solid team they have. That is an attractive job.

And no real pressure. You come to Philly there would be a lot of pressure. And a mess to sort out. STRESS KILLS.

So that's what professional sports has become...good weather, low taxes, and going to a destination with little pressure?  What ever happened to being a competitor and challenging yourself and feeding off of pressure? 

Babcock wasnt too worried about Toronto winters.  Canada is expensive too.  Matthews was there but Toronto wasnt, and still isnt, a well structured team.  There was a lot of intrigue to go there though because its the leafs.

I'm just sick of this franchise.  They've really done nothing to get fans excited for at least 5 years now (thanks Hexy).  Poor Giroux just wasted the prime of his career playing for a team that had no intentions of making a splash.  Nothing is on the horizon either.

17 minutes ago, icehole said:

So that's what professional sports has become...good weather, low taxes, and going to a destination with little pressure?  What ever happened to being a competitor and challenging yourself and feeding off of pressure? 

Babcock wasnt too worried about Toronto winters.  Canada is expensive too.  Matthews was there but Toronto wasnt, and still isnt, a well structured team.  There was a lot of intrigue to go there though because its the leafs.

I'm just sick of this franchise.  They've really done nothing to get fans excited for at least 5 years now (thanks Hexy).  Poor Giroux just wasted the prime of his career playing for a team that had no intentions of making a splash.  Nothing is on the horizon either.

Thank you for that uplifting post. 

I'm gonna go cut myself now. 

😎

Dammit!!!! Its official .... Q to Florida.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-name-joel-quenneville-head-coach/c-306572380

Face it .... He was never coming here. He wanted to be reunited with Tallon and live in a vacation paradise year round.   That is why when he was let go in Chicago and did not immediately sign with the Flyers.  He probably knew there was going to be an opening in the sunny state of Florida.

This team is screwed if they cannot find the right coach this offseason ......

Ok folks .... who is out there???

Archived