Terrible Ted passes away

yave1964

Ted Lindsay who retired as the all time leader in penalty minutes (passed by many since) and the left wing on the Detroit famous 'production line' has passed away today at 93.

He was a tough as nails true power forward who put fear into anyone who he met in a corner and could score as well. He won four cups with the Wings who traded him to the lowly BlackHawks as punishment for his part in attempting to create the leagues first players association. A rift that lasted a lifetime between he and Gordie Howe over the incident lasted a lifetime. It took decades before the two spoke again although towards the end of Howe's lifetime they made several appearances on ice together. He boycotted his election to the Hall of Fame in 1966 because it was men only and he felt his wife and all hockey wives had sacrificed enough during the playing career and that wives deserved to attend. After publicly pushing for this and shaming the hall, the following year for the first time the league finally allowed wives to attend their husbands induction ceremony.

He openly campaigned to coach the Wings several times and was finally hired at the end of the 1979-80 season but was fired only six weeks into the next season with a combined record of 5-21-3.

In 2010 the League renamed the Lester Pearson Trophy the Ted Lindsay award given to the player voted by his peers as the best in the game in a particular season.

He was iconic, he was a one of a kind, intelligent, witty, a fantastic interview and although he only stood five foot eight he was more like ten foot tall both on and off the ice. God Speed Teddy, back on the wing with Abel and Gordie flying across the ice with elbows high.

I have this small group of players for whom I have TREMENDOUS respect for all of the ways in which you contribute in hockey as well as off the ice. Lindsay sits among them. The players owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Ted Lindsay, and an armband, or some sort of display, won't be a shock for me to see.

Archived