You Make the Call: Should Voracek have received a Suspension?

hf101

You Make the Call: Should Voracek received a Game Misconduct?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What should the call on the ice have been?

• A 2 min penalty to Voracek for Interference.
    • The 5 min Major for Interference was the right call.
    • Voracek should have been ejected fromt the game due to injury on the play.
    • Vorack should get a post game fine or suspension.
    • Voracek shouldn't have even received a penalty on the play.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

No way this is a suspension. Can you really "target" the head while looking the other way? Boychuk puts his head in harm's way. That's on him.

It is interference, though. And the five minute call is penalizing the result not the play.

Two minutes. Period.

Two games is absurd.

He doesn't make contact with the head  It's stupid.  Boychuck was completely out of control. No one asks what the hell he thought he was doing... nothing about Boychuck's actions makes a lick of sense.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

No way this is a suspension. Can you really "target" the head while looking the other way? Boychuk puts his head in harm's way. That's on him.

It is interference, though. And the five minute call is penalizing the result not the play.

Two minutes. Period.

Two games is absurd.

I hope this can be overturned this is making a mockery of the system otherwise.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:35 AM, ruxpin said:

Agree with every word.

I actually selected "2 minute penalty" in the poll, just because you could make an argument that neither had the puck and Voracek moved to his left away from the puck.  You could make an argument for it, but I still believe it to be a weak ticky-tack kind of call.  If Boychuk doesn't get hurt it's a completely unmemorable play of thousands in the game.

But the 5 minute major was absurd.  Since I've already gone to absurd with the 5 minute, I have no idea what word to use for a game misconduct.  And there is no such word for a suspension.

And one of the biggest issue i have with this if you watch the replay...

...it was on Boychuk....he is a right handed defender with the puck coming around the boards he had no intentions of playing the puck look at his stick in his left hand....he was clearly going for the hit and Jake braced for it ala Peter Forsberg patented play back in the day and no way in hell you can target the head with your back turned Boychuk had his head in a bad spot he got caught off guard.

And he paid the price for it. So i am hoping they NHLPA can get this overturned or at least reduced to one game.

But this only gets one game...

Image result for evgeni malkin stick swing at raffl gif

I mean wow look how close this swing was to being a Bryan Berard like incident.

Image result for evgeni malkin stick swing at raffl gif

Makes no sense at all. Crazy.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope this can be overturned this is making a mockery of the system otherwise.

When I was reading the rules it seemed to say that the suspension had  to be 6 games or more to be challenged. They may be filing a grievance against what I don't know......

9 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

When I was reading the rules it seemed to say that the suspension had  to be 6 games or more to be challenged. They may be filing a grievance against what I don't know......

I'm not sure but maybe there is a difference between an individual doing instead of the NHLPA doing it.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

la Peter Forsberg patented play back in the day

Forsberg would get a penalty called in today's game.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I mean wow look how close this swing was to being a Bryan Berard like incident.

The Malkin one game suspension is insane. Again, you have to penalize the intent and not the result. Malkin INTENDED to smack Raffl in the head with his stick.

Voracek intended to make contact with Boychuk, but was not targeting. The intent to hit a player who doesn't have the puck - whether "bracing" yourself or not - is, from where I sit, interference.

Two minutes.

Boychuk probably should have been called for charging. He's taking multiple strides with no apparent intention of playing the puck.

12 minutes ago, musky said:

i see the chart shows all the flyers fans here,lol if claude giroux got hit like that it would be a cry for a week suspension.

No that is not the case. But I don't think Giroux is dumb enough to charge a player like that and get caught off guard and hurt himself.

And if he did yeah I wouldn't expect a suspension for the player.

12 minutes ago, musky said:

i see the chart shows all the flyers fans here,lol if claude giroux got hit like that it would be a cry for a week suspension.

If Giroux took four strides into a hit without even a thought of playing the puck he'd get a multiple game suspension.

8 hours ago, musky said:

Not really his game, so It's difficult to imagine. 

Is Boychuck really the engine for your team though ?  Voracek for all his faults is a play driver for ours. Same with Giroux, neither of those guys take 4 strides to hit another guy.

Boychuck made a stupid reckless play and got hurt in the process, I don't see how the guy he was going to blow up should be suspended for the result of that play. 

10 hours ago, musky said:

For the record, I voted that it would be suspension or fine just for the head contact, unintentional or not. Did he deserve it, not even close.  A lot of people on this site do like the Flyers but the lion's share call things as they see them. Also, 90 percent of anybody not wearing an Isles sweater agrees with the sentiment that the punishment was laughable.

I will add, I hope when they play next, Boychuck calls Jake out, Jake obliges and beats him like a dog -

and keeps beating him...what the hell, he's already done the time, get some satisfaction too. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:01 AM, radoran said:

Two minutes. Period.

Two games is absurd.

It's at the point now where players are afraid to throw a body-check because every time they do, they get penalized for it.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, radoran said:

you have to penalize the intent and not the result

This is the problem with reffing in general. The slashing penalty because the stick broke, regardless of intent or proximity to the hands, or whether it was a hard chopping motion or a one-handed tap. Drives me bonkers. Bonkers I tell you!

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's at the point now where players are afraid to throw a body-check because every time they do, they get penalized for it.

This.  It's ridiculous.

At the same time, it's not completely a deterrent because the same exact hit could happen tomorrow with no consequence.  The whole thing has become a sick joke.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, mojo1917 said:

I will add, I hope when they play next, Boychuck calls Jake out, Jake obliges and beats him like a dog -

and keeps beating him...what the hell, he's already done the time, get some satisfaction too. 

good luck on that one.

Archived