If we cant sign Panerin should we offer sheet Kapenan?

RonJeremy

29 minutes ago, King Knut said:

My fear is that Holmgren, and Scott (and therefore Fletcher) will feel the need for the bigger splash signing and if they can't get Panarin, that doesn't leave much as far as wingers and if they zone in on a center, Dzingle or Hayes are your next bets and they're okay, but not the kind of guys whose face you put on the building after you sign them.  

If they can work a deal with the Leafs to get one of their forwards for Hagg/Mac/Picks, then I'm in on that as a backup to Panarin as well.  

No one will really know what's best for Frost anyway.  That'll be the crap shoot ahem I mean challenge.  

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Hayes in Wpg. I didn't really know much about his game prior to seeing him in a Jets uniform, but he's a very smart player. Great on faceoffs, And big. So a pretty good 2nd/3rd line center all in all. I think he needs to get himself into Blake Wheeler-type fitness level though. He looked gassed every shift his first game as a Jet.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Hayes in Wpg. I didn't really know much about his game prior to seeing him in a Jets uniform, but he's a very smart player. Great on faceoffs, And big. So a pretty good 2nd/3rd line center all in all. I think he needs to get himself into Blake Wheeler-type fitness level though. He looked gassed every shift his first game as a Jet.

Maybe he's a guy to look at.  As a Ranger, he was a killer against the Flyers two years ago, but I can't say that I remember him standing out too much more recently.    

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Those two guys mentioned as the 3rd line center options would be fine with me.

However depends on the term and cost per year too...that could change my mind.

Would you go for one of them over Simmonds for a similar salary and term?  

I find myself feeling really ready to move on from Simmonds and I feel really bad about that.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Maybe he's a guy to look at.  As a Ranger, he was a killer against the Flyers two years ago, but I can't say that I remember him standing out too much more recently.    

Well he's worth looking at because the price may be reasonable. There's nothing flashy about his game. I like his smarts. He might also be an underrated passer. Sees the ice well IMHO.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Well he's worth looking at because the price may be reasonable. There's nothing flashy about his game. I like his smarts. He might also be an underrated passer. Sees the ice well IMHO.

His metrics are decent to good from what I can tell.  Might be just the kind of guy you'd want holding down the middle if Frosty's moving to wing.  

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Would you go for one of them over Simmonds for a similar salary and term?  

Yes I'm afraid Simmer is done.

Besides he he isn't good at 5 on 5 and they already have guys who can replace his role on the PP in Patrick and JVR just really no need for him besides the toughness he provides.

Nah he is gone I would keep it that way.

Just now, King Knut said:

His metrics are decent to good from what I can tell.  Might be just the kind of guy you'd want holding down the middle if Frosty's moving to wing.  

Agreed. He needs speed on his wings, he's not the fastest. 

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Besides he he isn't good at 5 on 5 and they already have guys who can replace his role on the PP in Patrick and JVR just really no need for him besides the toughness he provides.

Nah he is gone I would keep it that way.

I hate saying that.  Even quietly to myself where I know Simmer can't hear me.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

ha ha, we'd have the slowest awesome middle in the league.  

That's true. In fact, the guy we're describing is pretty much Coots eh?  So maybe not ideal. 

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That's true. In fact, the guy we're describing is pretty much Coots eh?  So maybe not ideal. 

He is bigger than Coots actually 6-5 and has some experience playing RW too.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Faster than Coots, but Patty isn't exactly a speed demon either.

That said, Coots is like among the top 12 in 5v5 scoring and is most people's vote for team MVP so far, so I'd take another one of him, ha ha!

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

He is bigger than Coots actually 6-5 and has some experience playing RW too.

Yeah, he is big. I like him at center, like way more. "Natural center"

Just now, Podein25 said:

Yeah, he is big. I like him at center, like way more. "Natural center"

Still, the ability to switch could enable them to play with Frost a bit sorta the way Coots and Giroux do now when they're together (and part of the goal of getting a Center would be to make sure G can stay on the wing).  

He doesn't sound like a bad choice.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Still, the ability to switch could enable them to play with Frost a bit sorta the way Coots and Giroux do now when they're together (and part of the goal of getting a Center would be to make sure G can stay on the wing).  

He doesn't sound like a bad choice.

Yup, versatility is important. There's a reason coaches value it way more than your average fan. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Yup, versatility is important. There's a reason coaches value it way more than your average fan. 

Especially in a 3C.  Flyers tend to go for versatility over all other skill sets, but most teams might opt out for skill in a top 6er.  

19 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

No way!

"Trade him...etc etc"

Sorry I had it wrong.  According to Alex Appleyard (who is a real stat rat if you follow him) It's TOP TEN since the start of last season... so even better over a longer term:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fprofile_images%2F904811975313645568%2FVSAXI3Kj_normal.jpg&t=1552581425&ymreqid=29a125ac-0d54-e64e-1ca0-6b00a501a000&sig=oqDdxvqH2MPLa85fcGM_aw--~C Alexander Appleyard (@avappleyard)
Top 10 ⁦‪@NHL‬⁩ EV point producers since the start of last season:

McDavid: 151
Kucherov: 132
Kane: 124
Gaudreau: 123
𝗚𝗶𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘅: 119
MacKinnon: 119
Panarin: 118
Crosby: 115
Draisaitl: 114
𝗖𝗼𝘂𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗿: 112

⁦‪@NHLFlyers‬⁩ well represented... #Flyers

Pretty fancy company actually.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I find myself feeling really ready to move on from Simmonds and I feel really bad about that.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I really think he screwed up his entire career playing injured all last season. And, really, for nothing.

Great heart and soul move, but terrible for his long term viability. He's simply not going to get the "big payday" he was building to.

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really think he screwed up his entire career playing injured all last season. And, really, for nothing.

Great heart and soul move, but terrible for his long term viability. He's simply not going to get the "big payday" he was building to.

May have.  

The truly sad part is that it didn't help the team either.  He should have sat out when it first happened in camp.

This ACTUALLY makes me wonder though if there's any chance it's similar to Giroux and Ghost's abdominal surgeries that they played through and then had the surgery for.  I don't think the surgery was the same (especially not for Giroux)  But both Ghost and G took most of the next season to get their games back.  

I hope for Simmonds' sake there's some kind of rebound in his future. Not because I want him back, I just want him to succeed wherever he is... until that team is playing the Flyers.  

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Obviously the four first rounders is a complete non-starter. As your post ably displays, losing four years of young talent is an absurd overpayment for anybody.

I do think that looking at the mid-range $5-6M for a 1st and 3rd is not out of the question.

Really depends on the player and the "fit" with the team.

For Marner or Point, I'm easily willing to go all the way up to $10,148,302 (2 1sts, 1 second, 1 third). If you're lucky, Toronto signs someone else on or before July 1 and eats their available offseason cap down below 10 million from what I guess will be ~13 million with the new cap + offseason cushion.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

For Marner or Point, I'm easily willing to go all the way up to $10,148,302 (2 1sts, 1 second, 1 third). If you're lucky, Toronto signs someone else on or before July 1 and eats their available offseason cap down below 10 million from what I guess will be ~13 million with the new cap + offseason cushion.

Yep. I’m even willing to sacrifice Fletcher to do it.  

Both Toronto and Tampa are going to have trouble, but Tampa can at least save money on D-Men.  Both teams need D, we have D, I’d be thrilled to send Almost any of our D for Marner or Point. 

Neither will trade either for Sven Provo. 

They’ll dump elsewhere or sacrifice having decent D.  

11 hours ago, King Knut said:

Yep. I’m even willing to sacrifice Fletcher to do it.  

Both Toronto and Tampa are going to have trouble, but Tampa can at least save money on D-Men.  Both teams need D, we have D, I’d be thrilled to send Almost any of our D for Marner or Point. 

Neither will trade either for Sven Provo. 

They’ll dump elsewhere or sacrifice having decent D.  

Well a good time to try and poach them would be at the draft unless they are fools.

Knowing them and how they did Nylander then will wait till the last second to do anything.

Archived