Who MISSES the playoffs in the East? (poll)

yave1964

which of the following miss the playoffs in the East?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which club misses the playoffs in the East?

• Hurricanes
    • Penguins
    • Bluejackets
    • Canadiens
    • Two of the above, the Flyers sneak in

Four clubs within a couple of points of each other as we take the final turn and head down the stretch. One of the four will not make it, at least, there is a slim chance the Flyers manage to leap frog two of them. Here are the candidates:

CANADIENS 

REASON THEY MAKE IT Carey Price. A hot goalie can carry a team and Price is still elite, he is the prime reason the Habs are in it.

REASON THEY WONT: Just not enough there. Lack of forward depth, one injury to someone like Weber or Domi and they are toast.

BLUEJACKETS

REASON THEY MAKE IT The new guys mesh with the old guys and they catch fire, Bobrovsky goes on one of his hot streaks. 

REASON THEY WONT More road games than any of the contenders down the stretch, Bob goes on one of his disappearing streaks.

FLYERS 

REASON THEY MAKE IT Hottest team in hockey since recalling Carter Hart.

REASON THEY WONT: just a bit too little too late, they would have to pass two teams above them which is harder than hell this time of year.

HURRICANES

REASON THEY MAKE IT Bunch of jerks loose, happy and playing with house money.

REASON THEY WONT Mrazek and McBackup have played over their head all year, eventually it has to come to an end.

PENGUINS

REASON THEY MAKE IT Because they are the damn Penguins, veteran cast knows how to win.

REASON THEY WONT Letang hurt, experience equals old, possible they just run out of gas.

So there it is. One factor, the Jackets have the highest ROW (regulation and overtime wins) which is the first tiebreaker so they dont have to beat others out, they just have to tie the lowest team. 

I really struggled between the Jackets and Canadiens, finally picking the Jackets to sneak past Montreal as I have not been a big believer in the Habs this year and while Columbus has been a bit shaky since adding the four new players they have shown signs of turning it around winning two of their last three but Montreal has been slipping for over a month. They haven't been BAD just not really good, on February 7th they beat the Jets to run their record to 31-18-6 they were in second place in the division at the time since then they have went 5-8-1 and have scored 2 or less goals in half those games. I like a lot of what Montreal has done this year but I think that they peaked early kind of like Buffalo.

Really though, the East is a beast compared to the relatively weak West. The West has the four outstanding teams, a couple of very good ones in Vegas and the Blues and a bunch of mediocrity. Montreal and the Flyers are both better than two teams that are going to make the playoffs in the West, you could even make an argument for the Panthers being better than either of the two Western wildcards.

I went with Columbus because they are floundering and don't seem to be able to find another gear. Losing Panarin for nothing isn't going to be great for this squad.

Bobrovsky is also a question mark.

I don't know that Torts can motivate this team at this point. The proof will be in the next dozen games.

And, no, I don't see the Flyers getting in. You can't play for half a season and expect results. This is the problem with the apparently inevitable "slow start" they've shown year after year. The points in October mean just as much as the points in February and March. While they beat up on the dregs, they've lost big to Tampa, Washington, and even Montreal. Expect them to beat the Sens tonight, but the next four after that - Washington, Tronno, Pittsburgh, and the Habs - will be the story of the season. Add in two more against the Craps and Leaes and then two with the Canes and it's a tough hill to climb. Sort of like El Capitan. And it took that guy several years to find the right way.

Lastly, for the record, the Islanders don't get out of the first round. Probably five games. Maybe four. That team is totally smoke and mirrors and there's no fire where the smoke is.

@radoran

Spot on with the Isles. Looking at their schedule if they slip a bit there is a slight chance they miss the playoffs although I think they stacked up enough points early to where that doesn't happen. Great coach, he always got a mediocre Predators team in year after year because there is a hell of a difference between regular season and postseason, his team always lost in six games in the first round, same thing here with the Isles. This is one of his finest jobs of coaching and he deserves the Jack Adams award hands down.

Well, first off, I am NOT discounting Pittsburgh.
Every time I do, they prove me wrong. I understand they have some injury issues and some of their players aren't playing up to their abilities, but I think, in the end, they still have enough guys with talent and pride that they will drag the rest of the team across the finish line and end up with a playoff spot...… and Matt Murray has downright stolen some games for them when the team hasn't deserved to win.
So Pens are getting in.

As for the rest, I juggled Columbus, Montreal, and even Carolina around (leaving the Flyers out because I DO think it is too little too late for them as well....especially not having Hart, who I believe revitalized the team when they made their late run not so long ago.
I don't believe in Elliot, and Flyer PP, which along with Hart was helping to drive Philadelphia also seems to have disappeared again.
So basically, Flyers ain't getting in.

Back to the Jackets, Habs, and Canes.
Jackets have a LOT of talent on that team, and I am not sure what the problem is, but they just haven't played as well as they should. When they DO win, it looks impressive...when they lose, they look real bad in those games. Real bad.
I'd like to think that the talent will ultimately get it together just long enough to get into the post season though. What happens after that is anyone's guess, but I think Columbus removes their noggins from their rectums long enough to finally claim a playoff spot.

The Canes. Yes, everyone's favorite "Bunch of Jerks". Playing very well lately, but hey have a real tough finish to their schedule. I do like their up tempo style and the way they usually rain shots on the opposition is truly impressive.

However, I am not a big believer in their goaltending. At one time, I would have figured Petr Mrazek to be an easy pick to be a regular NHL starter, but the man has been so inconsistent, I am not sure who the real Mrazek is! And don't get me started on McElhinney...

Still, the Canes just may have enough, and Mrazek may do just enough, to keep this team afloat and get in.

Soooooo, this leaves Montreal.
Tough schedule, like the Canes, have some depth issues, and while Carey Price is still a damned good goalie, he has proven he CAN be blown up under the right circumstances.
I even think Montreal HAS played over their heads all season long....I think that comes home to roost with their tough finish based on the opponents they face and their depth and poor special teams will be enough to keep this team out of the playoff picture...even if just barely.

So there we are.

Flyers gonna run out of time, Jackets will surgically remove their craniums from their backsides and get in, Hurricanes do enough (and keep everyone entertained) while they march in, and the Penguins do what they do, prove people wrong...and get in.

And Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens will be left on the outside looking in, wondering why Jonathan Drouin couldn't carry this team on his back and take them to the playoffs.  :shifty:

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I hope it's the Jackets that miss the playoffs.  It'll make the Flyerless playoffs go much faster for me if I spend the whole time laughing. 

And I thought we were friends, lol

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

And I thought we were friends, lol

Yeah well, lol. 

But if they didn't get something for Panarin and Bob and gave away the assets they did only to miss, man, that's comedy gold. 

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah well, lol. 

But if they didn't get something for Panarin and Bob and gave away the assets they did only to miss, man, that's comedy gold. 

Which is exactly the kind of thing that year after year happens to this franchise for two decades now.

A potential kick in the teeth, the other night at the CBJ game with the wife I was surprised at the amount of Caniacs who travel with the team, I struck up a conversation with a couple of very knowledgeable fans from there they told me that about two hundred of them travel by bus to see the Canes whenever they play on a weekend on the East coast which is a fair amount considering the Canes history. But what this one guy who really knows hockey said struck me, he is stone cold dead positive and added it isn't just him but it is the talk of Raleigh that come July first Bob and the bread man are Carolina bound, lots of salary and an owner wanting to make a splash. Carolina is a team on the rise, adding a top tier goalie and a point per game explosive forward, wow they are right there in every conversation for years if that happens. It was the first time I had heard Carolina mentioned in connection with the two of them but this guy seems to think they are the frontrunner. 

55 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm thinking the Canadiens will miss the playoffs and wouldn't it be something if the Penguins can drop to 8th and face the Lightning in round 1.   :tongue:

I would love to see that, but what I'd love to see even more is a total collapse and they slip out altogether. 

I pick the Pens to miss out....just because they are the effin' Pens....

P.S. Flyers are not sneaking anywhere but I will still happily watch Hart play better and better every game.

Looks like the Blue Jackets are sliding in the wrong direction 3 straight losses.

Too bad the Flyers can't take advantage of it.

But they have noone to blame but themselves

Keeping it mediocre...

Image may contain: 2 people, including Dave York, people smiling, people standing

@OccamsRazor 

My wife and daughter have a partial season ticket package for the CBJ, I have went to three or four jackets games this season and other than a stinker against the Jets they have been fantastic every time. This was us last week when they played the Canes, I got the jersey because she signed up for the playoff package and hence, the jersey. I have to admit, I have been rooting hard for the Jackets to make it as my Wings are in the lughes for Hughes thing right now. 

Anyway, I have more or less become a closet Jacket fan over the past several years as my second team. I know a lot of folks are smugly hoping the Jackets miss the playoffs after going all in, I disagree and think it was awesome to see a team go for it, although if they dont get it together soon it is gonna be a long uncomfortable summer in Columbus.

My Reds suck, my Wings suck, my Bengals are going to be the worst team in football. Damn the Jackets, they were my last chance. That's it, I am swearing off sports or moving to Boston.

43 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Image may contain: 2 people, including Dave York, people smiling, people standing

@OccamsRazor 

My wife and daughter have a partial season ticket package for the CBJ, I have went to three or four jackets games this season and other than a stinker against the Jets they have been fantastic every time. This was us last week when they played the Canes, I got the jersey because she signed up for the playoff package and hence, the jersey. I have to admit, I have been rooting hard for the Jackets to make it as my Wings are in the lughes for Hughes thing right now. 

Anyway, I have more or less become a closet Jacket fan over the past several years as my second team. I know a lot of folks are smugly hoping the Jackets miss the playoffs after going all in, I disagree and think it was awesome to see a team go for it, although if they dont get it together soon it is gonna be a long uncomfortable summer in Columbus.

My Reds suck, my Wings suck, my Bengals are going to be the worst team in football. Damn the Jackets, they were my last chance. That's it, I am swearing off sports or moving to Boston.

I agree it would be terrible to see them go for it and not even make the dance.

A lot of pressure on everyone.

13 hours ago, flyerrod said:

I pick the Pens to miss out....just because they are the effin' Pens....

P.S. Flyers are not sneaking anywhere but I will still happily watch Hart play better and better every game.

Flyers could always petition the NHL to relocate them temporarily to the Western Conference where they easily can claim a playoff spot...
:shifty:

On 3/22/2019 at 11:06 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Flyers could always petition the NHL to relocate them temporarily to the Western Conference where they easily can claim a playoff spot...
:shifty:

FWIW we were in the West Division when we first joined the league and then later, the Campbell Conference.    

Flyers have managed to stay alive and the Canadians choked on sending them packing...will the Jets help the Flyers out saturday too??

Preds need to smash the Blue Jackets too.

4 point game coming up vs the Canes....a must win without saying.

Flyers need to Tonya Harden the Blue Jackets and Canadians for the next few games.

Archived