Game 70: Flyers vs Capitals 03/14/19 7:00 pm

OccamsRazor

9 hours ago, Samifan said:

Flyers down  2 on the power play with 8 minutes left and they still feel the need to ensure there are a minimum of 8 passes before they take a shot on goal......

Soooooo glad I didn't waste 2 plus hours of my life watching the game.

I said 10th seed team I still stand by that.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Soooooo glad I didn't waste 2 plus hours of my life watching the game.

I said 10th seed team I still stand by that.

Yeah, they were handily outplayed essentially the whole time. And that goes for everyone on the ice. Hart really looked like a rookie trying to learn the ropes in the NHL. That's what he is of course, but games like these kind of wipe off the lustre of his early games a bit. I'm still happy he's getting ice time though. This season has been essentially lost for months at this point. I'd much rather the kids be given some NHL level experience to hopefully start finding their footing at this level a bit. That goes double for Hart. I hope he plays most of the remaining games honestly.

I happen to think it's important to learn what it feels like to lose. Hart hasn't done much of that in his junior years.

12 hours ago, Samifan said:

Flyers down  2 on the power play with 8 minutes left and they still feel the need to ensure there are a minimum of 8 passes before they take a shot on goal......

Yeah, that was frustrating.

No Jake each time the Flyers played the Caps this month, still the Caps are essentially the same team that won the cup last year and the Flyers aren't on their level.  

They are where we want to be. 

What stands out to me is when the Flyers play high pressure teams they struggle. Washington pressures the puck everywhere, it is as much a mindset as it is ability. Those guys think the puck is theirs and you're just in the way. With that attitude the puck does seem to keep following those players. goal #2 was case and point. 

The assessments that say the Flyers are a bubble playoff team are accurate, I thought they might take a step forward this year. That obviously didn't happen for myriad reasons.  I do think they are on the rise though, in spite of that ass whooping  I don't feel terrible about the team's prospects/outlook going forward. 

Greetings:

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like a "Systems Failure."  I believe we are 9-11-2 in the Metro.  If you can't play .500 in your division, you probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And it took them 13 years to get that Cup.

Can Flyer fans be that patient?

It really shouldn't have though. They had so many dominant seasons. Somewhere along the line, they should have had more runs at the cup. Clearly they had something holding them back in the postseason.

Was it coaching? Boudreau was there for much of it, and he's just never proven to be a capable playoff coach. In fact, one might suggest he's never been a great coach period. He just relied on very good players like Backstrom and Ovechkin to carry the day (a lot like Bylsma). 

Maybe they needed more than just Backstrom in the middle, and having Kuznetsov around gave them the added push they needed. Maybe acquiring Orlov and Niskanen gave them a real defensive corps they lacked in the early going. Green is hardly a a poster child for sound defensive practices.

I mean, it's probably a combination of those things of course. But really, they should absolutely have had -- at the very least -- more finals appearances in the Ovechkin era. The fact they didn't tells me they were very poor at surrounding the best goal scorer of possibly forever and one of the best playmakers of the last decade with the tools needed to take that last step.

Point being, Washington's journey is hardly the blueprint anyone should want to follow. It's also a very poor comparison with our Flyers, as we do not have an Ovechkin type generational goal scoring talent on our team, and our defence is likely to be home grown for the most part, not mostly acquired via trades like in WSH.

The 2019 Caps though are one hell of a machine for sure. Obviously TB is the team the beat going into the post season, but anyone who counts the Caps as goners from the onset could very well be in for a big surprise.

24 minutes ago, elmatus said:

It really shouldn't have though. They had so many dominant seasons. Somewhere along the line, they should have had more runs at the cup. Clearly they had something holding them back in the postseason.

Was it coaching? Boudreau was there for much of it, and he's just never proven to be a capable playoff coach. In fact, one might suggest he's never been a great coach period. He just relied on very good players like Backstrom and Ovechkin to carry the day (a lot like Bylsma). 

Maybe they needed more than just Backstrom in the middle, and having Kuznetsov around gave them the added push they needed. Maybe acquiring Orlov and Niskanen gave them a real defensive corps they lacked in the early going. Green is hardly a a poster child for sound defensive practices.

I mean, it's probably a combination of those things of course. But really, they should absolutely have had -- at the very least -- more finals appearances in the Ovechkin era. The fact they didn't tells me they were very poor at surrounding the best goal scorer of possibly forever and one of the best playmakers of the last decade with the tools needed to take that last step.

Point being, Washington's journey is hardly the blueprint anyone should want to follow. It's also a very poor comparison with our Flyers, as we do not have an Ovechkin type generational goal scoring talent on our team, and our defence is likely to be home grown for the most part, not mostly acquired via trades like in WSH.

The 2019 Caps though are one hell of a machine for sure. Obviously TB is the team the beat going into the post season, but anyone who counts the Caps as goners from the onset could very well be in for a big surprise.

I wish I had those answers. A few times IIRC didn't they run into the Pens on the way to Cups to detail them.

Hell I remember the last time the Flyers were in the playoffs vs them Mason choked and Nuevy had a chance to upset them and couldn't get no goal support to dispatch them...don't remember how far after that they went.

But it was years and years of underachieving.

Archived