Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

OccamsRazor

Game 70: Flyers vs Capitals 03/14/19 7:00 pm

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Samifan said:

Flyers down  2 on the power play with 8 minutes left and they still feel the need to ensure there are a minimum of 8 passes before they take a shot on goal......

 

Soooooo glad I didn't waste 2 plus hours of my life watching the game.

 

I said 10th seed team I still stand by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Soooooo glad I didn't waste 2 plus hours of my life watching the game.

 

I said 10th seed team I still stand by that.

 

Yeah, they were handily outplayed essentially the whole time. And that goes for everyone on the ice. Hart really looked like a rookie trying to learn the ropes in the NHL. That's what he is of course, but games like these kind of wipe off the lustre of his early games a bit. I'm still happy he's getting ice time though. This season has been essentially lost for months at this point. I'd much rather the kids be given some NHL level experience to hopefully start finding their footing at this level a bit. That goes double for Hart. I hope he plays most of the remaining games honestly.

 

I happen to think it's important to learn what it feels like to lose. Hart hasn't done much of that in his junior years.

Edited by elmatus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Samifan said:

Flyers down  2 on the power play with 8 minutes left and they still feel the need to ensure there are a minimum of 8 passes before they take a shot on goal......

Yeah, that was frustrating.

No Jake each time the Flyers played the Caps this month, still the Caps are essentially the same team that won the cup last year and the Flyers aren't on their level.  

They are where we want to be. 

What stands out to me is when the Flyers play high pressure teams they struggle. Washington pressures the puck everywhere, it is as much a mindset as it is ability. Those guys think the puck is theirs and you're just in the way. With that attitude the puck does seem to keep following those players. goal #2 was case and point. 

The assessments that say the Flyers are a bubble playoff team are accurate, I thought they might take a step forward this year. That obviously didn't happen for myriad reasons.  I do think they are on the rise though, in spite of that ass whooping  I don't feel terrible about the team's prospects/outlook going forward. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings:

 

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like a "Systems Failure."  I believe we are 9-11-2 in the Metro.  If you can't play .500 in your division, you probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They are where we want to be. 

 

And it took them 13 years to get that Cup.

 

Can Flyer fans be that patient?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

And it took them 13 years to get that Cup.

 

Can Flyer fans be that patient?

 

It really shouldn't have though. They had so many dominant seasons. Somewhere along the line, they should have had more runs at the cup. Clearly they had something holding them back in the postseason.

 

Was it coaching? Boudreau was there for much of it, and he's just never proven to be a capable playoff coach. In fact, one might suggest he's never been a great coach period. He just relied on very good players like Backstrom and Ovechkin to carry the day (a lot like Bylsma). 

 

Maybe they needed more than just Backstrom in the middle, and having Kuznetsov around gave them the added push they needed. Maybe acquiring Orlov and Niskanen gave them a real defensive corps they lacked in the early going. Green is hardly a a poster child for sound defensive practices.

 

I mean, it's probably a combination of those things of course. But really, they should absolutely have had -- at the very least -- more finals appearances in the Ovechkin era. The fact they didn't tells me they were very poor at surrounding the best goal scorer of possibly forever and one of the best playmakers of the last decade with the tools needed to take that last step.

 

Point being, Washington's journey is hardly the blueprint anyone should want to follow. It's also a very poor comparison with our Flyers, as we do not have an Ovechkin type generational goal scoring talent on our team, and our defence is likely to be home grown for the most part, not mostly acquired via trades like in WSH.

 

The 2019 Caps though are one hell of a machine for sure. Obviously TB is the team the beat going into the post season, but anyone who counts the Caps as goners from the onset could very well be in for a big surprise.

  • Good Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, elmatus said:

 

It really shouldn't have though. They had so many dominant seasons. Somewhere along the line, they should have had more runs at the cup. Clearly they had something holding them back in the postseason.

 

Was it coaching? Boudreau was there for much of it, and he's just never proven to be a capable playoff coach. In fact, one might suggest he's never been a great coach period. He just relied on very good players like Backstrom and Ovechkin to carry the day (a lot like Bylsma). 

 

Maybe they needed more than just Backstrom in the middle, and having Kuznetsov around gave them the added push they needed. Maybe acquiring Orlov and Niskanen gave them a real defensive corps they lacked in the early going. Green is hardly a a poster child for sound defensive practices.

 

I mean, it's probably a combination of those things of course. But really, they should absolutely have had -- at the very least -- more finals appearances in the Ovechkin era. The fact they didn't tells me they were very poor at surrounding the best goal scorer of possibly forever and one of the best playmakers of the last decade with the tools needed to take that last step.

 

Point being, Washington's journey is hardly the blueprint anyone should want to follow. It's also a very poor comparison with our Flyers, as we do not have an Ovechkin type generational goal scoring talent on our team, and our defence is likely to be home grown for the most part, not mostly acquired via trades like in WSH.

 

The 2019 Caps though are one hell of a machine for sure. Obviously TB is the team the beat going into the post season, but anyone who counts the Caps as goners from the onset could very well be in for a big surprise.

 

I wish I had those answers. A few times IIRC didn't they run into the Pens on the way to Cups to detail them.

 

Hell I remember the last time the Flyers were in the playoffs vs them Mason choked and Nuevy had a chance to upset them and couldn't get no goal support to dispatch them...don't remember how far after that they went.

 

But it was years and years of underachieving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 3
      Post
      Greetings:   I didn't see the game, but it sounds like a "Systems Failure."  I believe we are 9-11-2 in the Metro.  If you can't play .500 in your division, you probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.
    • 2
      Post
      I wouldn’t say this is a must win. The games against the Canes, Habs, and Pens are must wins.    As as long as they go no worse than 11-2 in their last 13, they’ll end up with 98  points and probably a playoff berth.    Tough game for Hart to come back to. Yikes. 
    • 2
      Post
      my friend pointed out that it looks like nolan and TK are laughing at Neuvirth.
    • 2
      Post
      They were saying Neuvy would get injured by the camera flash!
    • 2
      Post
      the good news is that Ovechkin already scored his 1200th point so scoring his 1201-1208th points tonight will be no milestone against us.  
    • 2
      Post
      Well, I think we can clearly see that a borderline playoff team - at best - isn't on a level capable of competing with actual Stanley Cup competitors.
×
×
  • Create New...