Collage UFA;S

Jam1986

I think they will be interested in some however they have guys coming in next year and some who will need to be signed so not sure if they have enough contracts to sign anyone...they have to let a few go but i also think they have to have enough AHL vets to play every night too.

Guys coming in:

Forward

Frost 

Ratcliffe

Allison

Sushko

Strome

Laczynski

Lycksell not sure if he come over or stays another year in the SHL

Defense

Wyatte Wylie

Wyatt Kalynuk not sure if he signs or goes back for his junior year. 

Linus Hogberg not sure if he come over or stays another year in the SHL.

David Bernhardt not sure if he come over or stays another year in the SHL.

Goaltender

Felix Sandstrom 

Krill Ustimenko rumor has it the Flyers will bring him over to play in the AHL. We'll see.

Samuel Ersson will bump up to the SHL for a year or two.

So as you can see that is a possible addition of 14 contracts. I can't see them all come in at one time.

Strome could even be given an overage year to work on his skating still.

Flyers have 13 players signed for 2019-20 already. So i see several prospects being added. And a few kids could be left in the SHL for another year.

So yeah not much room to add any college free agents.

And after Vecchione hasn't gotten a sniff as well as Friedman why would any want to sign in Philly??

On 3/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, OccamsRazor said:

And after Vecchione hasn't gotten a sniff as well as Friedman why would any want to sign in Philly??

I think you've hit it.  Flyers don't have the room or the need and a college kid looking at Philly won't see much room to maneuver.

Draft picks that are inherently 2-3 years away are always a good thing to have for any organization, but a kid graduating college is likely going to be 22-23 already and won't want to wait until he's 25-26 to get a shot and it isn't a very economical use of your roster spot if your Fletcher either.  

That said, I don't know the college game that well.  I try to watch some big ten games once in a while when they're on TV, and I have to say that the overall play of nationally ranked teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and Minnesota is a bit pathetic.  The goaltending in particular is terrible, but then again, so is the defense.  

Watching that makes me even more angry with Hextall for the whole Hakstol thing.  Maybe worth a shot... but you gotta know going in it's a gamble that could easily not pay off.  Hakstol may have made some good NHL players and he may have had some success in college, but the overall level of play is so much worse and the talent level so lacking, I can certainly see why not many coaches go from College to the pros in hockey.

Archived