Braydon Schenn

Guest flyercanuck

Some people were riding him with the usual "bust' label reserved for every young player who doesn't light it up his first few games, or even year in the league on Philly. Just wondering if his 2g and 2a in his last 5 games are changing any opinions? Not saying he's been great, but the kid can obviously play in the NHL and can only get better.

Some people were riding him with the usual "bust' label reserved for every young player who doesn't light it up his first few games, or even year in the league on Philly. Just wondering if his 2g and 2a in his last 5 games are changing any opinions? Not saying he's been great, but the kid can obviously play in the NHL and can only get better.

You're honestly surprised that a) hockey fans, and B) Flyers fans resort to hyperbole????? Say it ain't so!!

I think Bryz is a bust and JVR is a soft player who doesn't get it. But that could all change tomorrow :)

If I really sit down and think about it, of course I don't think that way... but that's no fun now is it?

I'm thinking a few years and he will be dominating like he did at the world juniors. With the right linemates, we could be looking at a 80 point player. A lot of things have to go right for that to happen, but I know he has the grit, heart and talent. Totally expected this adjustment period. He will get more and more comfortable and the points will come naturally. With a team as deep as Philly, even the 3rd line will have the likes of Voracek, Read etc

. I just fear Homer will panic with our lack of defensive depth for the playoffs and include him on a deadline deal. If he's part of a Shea Weber deal, I could live with that....but I fear it will be for upper tier 3-4 d man....that would suck donkey balls.

Schenn has been highly regarded and was a stud in the WJC, he is strating to pick it up now after all those injuries. The thing we all have to be prepared for is, we all know that that we will be making a deal for a dman, and if its a quality dman, then we will be giving up quality in return, so you can count on it being either JVR or Schenn. I think both are going to be real good players. It seems that most flyer fans would rather deal JVR, of course if he was playing like he did in the playoffs,we would be saying to deal Schenn.

@flyercanuck I think you misconstrued what most people were saying about Schenn and reversed the hyperbole by using the word "bust." What I recall is people not wanting Schenn to be promoted from the AHL, where he was playing great, and take away ice time and development from Couturier, who couldn't be sent anywhere. That was the discussion. There was no place for Schenn and that was demonstrated when he was called up and the Flyers lost a couple in a row.

Now with the injuries, there is room for Schenn without costing Couturier. It was nice to see them BOTH score tonight!

Just wondering if his 2g and 2a in his last 5 games are changing any opinions?

I wasn't ready to call him a bust but I'm starting to get why they were so high on him. If he meant to put that pass to Simmonds through the defenseman's legs tonight, he's got some real talent.

I think you misconstrued what most people were saying about Schenn

Exactly. When we say "He's a bust!" or "Get rid of him now, his value will never be higher.", it's really just our way of encouraging the player to try a little harder.

Regarding trades with Nashville,they are still pissed about the Foppa foot scandal,think Hamhuis,Parent,Hartnell,Timmon. Think about these in terms of bang for your buck. Webber has joined the concussed crowd,more damaged goods.Pronger had a few dings when he arrived,now look where he is! Has anybody seen this guy since he got hurt? Not to mention,the Preds really want a cup this year.

You know my stance Fly Can as I have stood by him and asked that fans be patient. I pointed out the stats of guys like Richards, Carter, Giroux, etc. and said unless the rookie is Lindros or Selanne very seldom does someone come in and dominate.

I think Flyer fans are seeing why he was so highly ranked. He plays physical. has good hands, is responsible defensively, etc.

It's nice to see him finally coming around. As you are aware of, confidence plays so a huge factor. When he got that first goal in the WC, you could almost feel the weight lifted off his shoulders. He is playing with more confidence and relaxed now.

The guy (Schenn) actually reminds me of Richards. He looked responsible in his own end, played with and edge, wasn't scared to go to the boards. Oh and can score a goal here and there.

I need to see more of him, but what I have seen (minus the small sample in November) I like him. I think that is also a really good line with Simmonds and JvR.

Side note, but Read kind of reminds me of Gagne circa 1999-2000.

@Bertmega

Matt Read is very much like the Gagne of old! I was thinking that too while I was watching him against Ottawa.

@RonJeremy

I would not want to see either JVR or Schenn go in a trade for a D-man. I am tired of watching the Flyers trade away youth. I'd rather trade Hartnell (as I believe we have enough offense). Of course that is pending Hartnell waiving his NTC (which isn't likely to happen).

It amazes me how much he reminds me of Richards, from a playing perspective..he's like a clone

Not at all. Not sure if he will be a bust, but he certainly hasn't been great. To label him a success or a bust, you need more than 30 games or so.

Just wondering if his 2g and 2a in his last 5 games are changing any opinions?

Changed mine. I was for patience but now I'm for trading him - his value will never be higher!

jk, of course.

I hope he can stay healthy. One more injury and people will stop calling him a bust and start calling him band-aid boy....