Wild vs. Stars 3/14/19 @ 7:00PM CST at the "X"

CreaseAndAssist

3 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a "Players Only" meeting by now...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear either Parise or Suter calls for one very soon. How dare one of the minions step up and call out the flaws!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Wild beaten by a much better team.  No surprise.   Only good thing was Walz as color guy.  Did anyone think that flukey winning streak was real?  It wasn't.  This is the true Wild team - severely lacking in offense, character and guts.  The Wild WAS a Playoff team.  Subtract Mikko and Dumba, then make hugely lop-sided, degrading trades like Nino for Rask and MiG for Fiala…    I'm not going to get in a pizzing contest about Coyle for Donato, but in the short term that makes the Wild a weaker team, too.   Donato's flukely little points run is exactly that - a fluke.  Will he turn into an actual NHL scorer - BIG maybe.

BTW - did Fiala play tonight?  Wait, that's right, his turnovers and sightseeing fly by's watching the other team score as the game was going on...

Fenton needs to keep going.  He might as well get rid of BB, too.   BB would be thrilled to get away from this train wreck I'm sure.  He's used to coaching quality NHL clubs, not this joke of a roster.

Walz sucks as an analyst.  Honestly, I am sick and tired hearing what he would do in any situation.  No one cares.  I get it, you played for the Wild but we don't need to hear WWWD on almost any given play.  I don't like Greenlay either, but at least he doesn't glorify himself and his playing career the way Walz does.  

Let's not forget, Walz QUIT on this team and put it in an awkward place in his last 'season' with the club.  

IMO the team misses Dumba more than it misses Koivu.  The team needs goals.  Koivu was on his way to having another underwhelming offensive season and while he helps the team defend, its the lack of goal scoring is what is killing any playoff hopes this group had.  

Coyle, meh.  Strong, gave pucks to little kids...but he played small.  He re-established the Jimmy Dowd big circle but all too often was allergic to going into the tough areas of the ice and practiced the fly by way too often for my taste.  

The truth is, WE skeptics of this club were 100% correct.  Even with Dumba / Koivu this team was a marginal playoff qualifier AT BEST.  Without it, it didn't really matter and the club probably won't make it which is probably for the better.  

The team still foolishly double downed on Staal; who looks dead legged most nights even after a few days off.  Aberg shouldn't be playing and Rask is a disaster.  I am 100% fine with this season being over in early April as there is nothing worth seeing right now.  Perhaps they can fix some things this summer, but I won't hold my breath.  

Just now, EJ0226 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear either Parise or Suter calls for one very soon. How dare one of the minions step up and call out the flaws!!!

That would require leadership, and apparently the team has none according to Foligno. 

This team is so frustrating to watch. Half the players look like they don't even want to be on the ice...

Just now, IllaZilla said:

That would require leadership, and apparently the team has none according to Foligno. 

This team is so frustrating to watch. Half the players look like they don't even want to be on the ice...

Exactly how I feel. I still think Parise or Suter will call for a meeting. After all a minion just called them out. They got to show they are top dog not so much they are the leaders. Put people back in their place.

But last game it felt like basically Foligno, Greenway and Zucker had any want of being out there. Everybody else, I wouldn't even call it skating through the motions but more of I have to be out there so I get paid.

If BB wants to get the team's attention then he should slap the 'C' on Foligno since he's the only one who's gives a chit.

I doubt #11 and #20 have the balls to stand up to Foligno in a Player's only meeting.

Something must have been said pre 3rd period since they actually came out with some serious fire.

But all that effort still didn't produce a goal and they deflated. Might of seen a good 3rd if they'd have scored there.

I'd put Foilgno up to 3rd line with Greenway but that leaves Fehr to babysit, So move him up too.

Aberg, JT Brown and Rask can figure things out together on L4.

(more like L4D) ;) 

Blues had their run, Dallas is in their's now along with 'Yotes...What happened to ours? The little run after the deadline ??

That's the most frustrating part that the standings have been so close for so long giving anyone the chance to take spots and we come out they way we did for this game.

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I'd put Foilgno up to 3rd line with Greenway but that leaves Fehr to babysit, So move him up too.

Aberg, JT Brown and Rask can figure things out together on L4.

I would like to put them on the 5th line and bring up anyone from Iowa, or just skate 3 lines all night.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, EJ0226 said:

Marcus Foligno quotes from last night:

"You've got to have heart, and we have no heart right now. Too many passengers."

"It's got to come from leadership and guys playing the right way and holding guys accountable. Right now we're just letting things slip away... It's got to come from leadership... Your leaders have to be your best, myself included and right now we're just struggling with it."

"It's stepping up and looking a little more urgent than we have. It's wanting the puck. I think we had some guys that just were hoping that it would be on their sticks tonight. You've got to get aggressive."

These are the best quotes I have ever heard come from guys on this team. None of the "leaders", aka Parise, Suter and Koivu would ever say this. None of these guys would try to call out people and challenge them. Instead they give their same out generic reply that means less then their promises. This team needs true leadership. Guys who aren't scared to call out others and will do whatever it takes to win. Not give a 10% effort like Suter. We need guys with spines and the thirst to win. This team does not have it except Foligno who is trying. I really have grown to like him.

Took some guts from Ferrigno.  I think he clearly directed this at Suter.  I see more effort from Parise than perennial coaster - Suter, who isn’t even average anymore on ice.  The young guys show some energy and dedication, as does Foligno.  I think Staal is slowing down.  The lack of effort of Suter (and formerly Koivu) sticks out. 

1 hour ago, EmptyShelf said:

Took some guts from Ferrigno.  I think he clearly directed this at Suter.  I see more effort from Parise than perennial coaster - Suter, who isn’t even average anymore on ice.  The young guys show some energy and dedication, as does Foligno.  I think Staal is slowing down.  The lack of effort of Suter (and formerly Koivu) sticks out. 

Parise always hustles(or looks like he does) and your right about Staal. I thought after he didn't get traded and then signed here he would magically get his legs back--hasn't happened. I know Koivu has his issues, but IMO lack of effort has never been one of them.

21 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Parise always hustles(or looks like he does) and your right about Staal. I thought after he didn't get traded and then signed here he would magically get his legs back--hasn't happened. I know Koivu has his issues, but IMO lack of effort has never been one of them.

Koivu may not have a lack of effort, but his balls have never dropped.  

The last E. Stall contract was a huge steal for the Wild.  His performance was twice what the contract was for.  Now he's playing for 3rd Line money.  Haters need to get a grip and actually look at league salaries.  Bidtching about Big E,'s 3rd line equivalent $ is flat out ignorant (of what NHL players are paid) and stupid for not doing due diligence understanding the NHL's pay scale.  You demand 1st Line production from 3rd Line money...   Get a grip and get a clue...

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

The last E. Stall contract was a huge steal for the Wild.  His performance was twice what the contract was for.  Now he's playing for 3rd Line money.  Haters need to get a grip and actually look at league salaries.  Bidtching about Big E,'s 3rd line equivalent $ is flat out ignorant (of what NHL players are paid) and stupid for not doing due diligence understanding the NHL's pay scale.  You demand 1st Line production from 3rd Line money...   Get a grip and get a clue...

Why thank you, mr. personality. Referring to your fellow posters as both ignorant and stupid in the same post!

You are a piece of work...🙄

The words are not synonymous.   Some people are just dumb, minimal ability to learn and understand.  Other individuals have normal or above normal intelligence but don't know/haven't learned the facts about something.  We're all ignorant about many things.  In the case of NHL player salaries there are some people ignorant, others too stupid to understand, and some people both.

1 hour ago, Fargocase said:

The words are not synonymous.   Some people are just dumb, minimal ability to learn and understand.  Other individuals have normal or above normal intelligence but don't know/haven't learned the facts about something.  We're all ignorant about many things.  In the case of NHL player salaries there are some people ignorant, others too stupid to understand, and some people both.

And other posters keep holding onto "he scored 42 goals for us last year" even though its pretty clear the legs are dead like grim death because memories are all they have.  But we not only signed him for another 2 years, we gave him a limited no trade clause AND passed up a chance to draft 1st round pick and get a player just so he could be a rental.  

But hey...some people may be too ignorant and stupid to understand.  

Post proof the Wild was offered a 1st and player for E Staal or we'll just file that with your other silly conspiracy stories.   

No one that I know thinks or expects Staal to score anywhere near 42 goals.  Or 30.  Zero revelvance or sense to that comment.  $3.2 mil is generic 3rd Line money.  If he scores even 20 goals it will be a great deal.    Go look at NHL rosters and see where $3.2 mil falls and the kind of players who get that much.  

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Walz sucks as an analyst.  Honestly, I am sick and tired hearing what he would do in any situation.  No one cares.  I get it, you played for the Wild but we don't need to hear WWWD on almost any given play.  I don't like Greenlay either, but at least he doesn't glorify himself and his playing career the way Walz does.  

Let's not forget, Walz QUIT on this team and put it in an awkward place in his last 'season' with the club.  

I was thinking about this silly rant watching the Wild beat the Rag$ and listening to Greenlay say brilliant things like "if they keep giving away the puck in their own zone, they're going to get scored on."! 

Oh yeah, much better to listen to a cliché machine than a Selke Finalist talk about the game.   I'd much rather have an actual hockey guy who knows the game do color, like Walz or Tom Reid than a company man spouting No Chit Sherlock comments and clichés.

As far as Walz quitting on the team.  That's ridiculous.  The guy is a Wild icon.  Very few if any players did more for the Wild organization than him.  But you're butthurt, when no one else is, because he retired when he thought he needed to.   Seriously?  You think you have the right to tell a pro athlete he shouldn't retire?  He needs to consult you?   That is 100% his and his families decision.  Walz played above and beyond for The Wild.   He had every right to retire when he thought he needed to and hating him for that is ridiculous.    The Wild gave him a chance and he more than repaid them for it.

As far as Walz "glorifying himself" - that is a really bizarre perception, no answer to something that weird.   A color man should be talking about the play and options.  He strikes me as actually a fairly humble, self depreciating guy.  Like you  😆

Walz certainly doesn't get any style points.  But information wise, I learn at least a couple of things each game from Walz's less than eloquent delivery.  I mean this with no ill intent, but I can't remember Mike Greenlay ever stating anything but the painfully obvious.

3 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Post proof the Wild was offered a 1st and player for E Staal or we'll just file that with your other silly conspiracy stories.   

No one that I know thinks or expects Staal to score anywhere near 42 goals.  Or 30.  Zero revelvance or sense to that comment.  $3.2 mil is generic 3rd Line money.  If he scores even 20 goals it will be a great deal.    Go look at NHL rosters and see where $3.2 mil falls and the kind of players who get that much.  

3rd line money?  Great...so we have two guys fighting over the 3rd line center spot you know they'll never accept.  #9 and #12 will anchor the top two lines while younger players have to fit around it even though they're only ones with energy and speed.  The Wild can't get out of their own way.  Staal won't be getting 42 goals playing on the 3rd line, or the 2nd or the 1st line anymore...

49 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Walz certainly doesn't get any style points.  But information wise, I learn at least a couple of things each game from Walz's less than eloquent delivery.  I mean this with no ill intent, but I can't remember Mike Greenlay ever stating anything but the painfully obvious.

Greenlay sucks.  We all know that.  But Walz is not great either.  He talks about himself way too often in his analysis.  

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

3rd line money?  Great...so we have two guys fighting over the 3rd line center spot you know they'll never accept.  #9 and #12 will anchor the top two lines while younger players have to fit around it even though they're only ones with energy and speed.  The Wild can't get out of their own way.  Staal won't be getting 42 goals playing on the 3rd line, or the 2nd or the 1st line anymore...

FWIW:  I didn't have a problem with the Staal re-signing for the $, but pointed out that he is slowing down.  I do have a problem with the redundancy (old Center on the back nine).  If they know Koivu is toast (mid-year or later entry, out of playoffs, and retirement tour); I have less objection to it.  If, as C&A says above, there is a need to appease both Staal and Koivu on any lines but 3 and 4, then we have a problem.  Staal at $3.2MM is a much better signing than Koivu for $5MM+ next year; which defied any semblance of common sense by CL.  If Klyde never skates for us again (or 20 games or less) I am fine with Staal for the next two years (with the C), so long as he doesn't block 2 better young centers.  Koivu just needs to go - by any means necessary (just retire).  This team owes him NOTHING for all the inflated $ he has collected with subpar performance.

Once we watch the Koivu saga peter out, we will have to see what can be done about SuitLESS.  He just cannot be on the ice more than 20 minutes, and no OT or PP.  They need to overtly diminish his ice-time and force his acceptance.  Additionally, they may need to remove his 'safety blanket' in Spurgeon and play him on top line with Brodin, and see if Brodin can handle the Top Line minutes while we de-emphasize Suter for the sake of the team and future.

21 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Why thank you, mr. personality. Referring to your fellow posters as both ignorant and stupid in the same post!

You are a piece of work...🙄

He has admittedly become a HATER, but hates the Haters (who call out 9, 20 or the Wild).  It can be confusing.  I don't think either of our comments disparaged the Staal contract amount, or re-signing.  In fact, I have always really liked Staal (and on the Wild), I just noted the 'slow down' factor that hits most at 30+ that have as many years/games as Staal does.  To me, he is a future HOF inductee, and has a Cup; which Klyde never was or will have (and for $2MM/year less during one of his last contracts).  I am just still searching for a Plan from Fenton; but Staal could fit as THE veteran center and Captain: just get rid of Klyde and call it a day

Boudreau didn't find it difficult to drop Selanne from his major role. I trust he'll eventually do the same with Staal and Koivu.

And Suter...

why the h... has BB not yet dropped the ice time already!

Archived