This 3 in 4 is where I hope attention is payed

mojo1917

It is my sincere hope that the Flyers management is playing close attention to the play of the opponents during this stretch of games.

So far vs the defending champs the Flyers have been whooped. Versus the up and coming Maple Leafs, had circles skated around them, so that leaves the Pens and les Habitants to use as a measure.

Right now, I feel like this team should not be included with the top teams in the conference. The Flyers are clearly a notch below, the TBL, WSH, TML and if I'm honest PGH, even though the Flyers won the last game the Pens had the puck all night even with 4 defensemen, that game could have easily been an L. 

I don't know what the changes are that need to happen, whether its /let the young guys continue to grow? shake up the core even more with a move that gets younger and faster? adding a guy that the top teams can't afford anymore....but when it comes down to it the 18/19 Flyers are a step behind the top teams, I don't know if they're gaining. I do feel like the future is bright, but the Leafs are also young and to my eye are the team to beat in the future.  I hope the "brain trust " sees this too.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

It is my sincere hope that the Flyers management is playing close attention to the play of the opponents during this stretch of games.

So far vs the defending champs the Flyers have been whooped. Versus the up and coming Maple Leafs, had circles skated around them, so that leaves the Pens and les Habitants to use as a measure.

Right now, I feel like this team should not be included with the top teams in the conference. The Flyers are clearly a notch below, the TBL, WSH, TML and if I'm honest PGH, even though the Flyers won the last game the Pens had the puck all night even with 4 defensemen, that game could have easily been an L. 

I don't know what the changes are that need to happen, whether its /let the young guys continue to grow? shake up the core even more with a move that gets younger and faster? adding a guy that the top teams can't afford anymore....but when it comes down to it the 18/19 Flyers are a step behind the top teams, I don't know if they're gaining. I do feel like the future is bright, but the Leafs are also young and to my eye are the team to beat in the future.  I hope the "brain trust " sees this too.

I'm with you. I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but this season was really the one I think many of us expected to see a noticeable improvement. We didn't get that. In fact, we got half a season of some of the worst hockey this club has produce in almost a decade. They have played better since the new year, but in terms of the skill we see on the ice every game, they're still significantly behind the true contenders in the league.

Also, playing better for half a season does not excuse playing like garbage for the first half. It's not like the first 40 games don't count. Let's not pretend that's the case. The same thing happened to a lesser extent last season as well. Why? Let's conjure up a new set of excuses.

And I for one am very sick and tired of hearing about how it's just waiting for some young kid to come up and fix all our team's problems. That refrain is now about eight years old. Eight years is long enough of a window that we should at the very least be seeing improvement not regression. It's really beyond frustrating at this point.

I wasn't expecting a cup run in 2018-19. I was expecting the 18-19 team to be better than the 17-18 one, the 16-17 one, the 15-16 one, the 14-15 one, etc... Instead, we spent much of this season in the bottom three in the entire league. For a team supposedly on the upswing, that doesn't exactly scream future potential.

18 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Having a real goalie should help next season. I mean we went through 7 stiffs and one real one this season. If there's one player that can make a team play bigger, faster, better it's a goalie.

17 hours ago, elmatus said:

I'm with you. I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but this season was really the one I think many of us expected to see a noticeable improvement. We didn't get that. In fact, we got half a season of some of the worst hockey this club has produce in almost a decade. They have played better since the new year, but in terms of the skill we see on the ice every game, they're still significantly behind the true contenders in the league.

I agree. Again, having a real goalie helps. The team played a lot better when Hart took the reins. Of course then he got injured.

Also, playing better for half a season does not excuse playing like garbage for the first half. It's not like the first 40 games don't count. Let's not pretend that's the case. The same thing happened to a lesser extent last season as well. Why? Let's conjure up a new set of excuses.

I got nothing. Other than like I said above.

And I for one am very sick and tired of hearing about how it's just waiting for some young kid to come up and fix all our team's problems. That refrain is now about eight years old. Eight years is long enough of a window that we should at the very least be seeing improvement not regression. It's really beyond frustrating at this point.

It has been a very long rebuild. I think the biggest problems were that Holmgren never got a goalie or defencemen (other than Ghost). Those guys would be hitting prime about now. Hextall did, but they're all still up and comers. 

I wasn't expecting a cup run in 2018-19. I was expecting the 18-19 team to be better than the 17-18 one, the 16-17 one, the 15-16 one, the 14-15 one, etc... Instead, we spent much of this season in the bottom three in the entire league. For a team supposedly on the upswing, that doesn't exactly scream future potential.

Well I guess the bright side is there looks to be a legit goalie prospect for the first time....ever. Defence is taking shape, though they could use a savvy vet to help. The forward group ain't too shabby either and with the likes of Frost/Farabee/Ratcliffe on the way it's not like how Homer left it. Plus Fletcher doesn't have to dig himself out of salary cap hell. Hopefully he doesn't dig himself back in it.

It's not going to take much to fix what's broken in Philadelphia. The biggest issue that needs to be addressed is coaching. It's about finding a coach with structure and more important, using players appropriately and accordingly. 

As for personnel, the Flyers certainly don't need to blow crap up and make big, bold splashes. The top six should be some combination of:

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

The bottom six should be:

JVR - Frost - Hartman

Free Agent - Laughton - NAK

The defense should be:

Provorov - Myers

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

And goaltending should be:

Hart

Elliott/Talbot (no idea what the Flyers will do)

That's it. There's no need to blow things up or spend money because they have it. If anything, this is the time to continue to grow with young players. I get everyone salivating over the idea of adding someone like Panarin to the forward group or Karlsson to the defense, but what purpose does it serve? Those moves are for Stanley Cup contenders. The Flyers aren't a Stanley Cup contender - yet. 

Get a legitimate coach and staff in place above anything else. The New York Islanders are a great example of what happens when a coach and staff come in and provide structure. You get everyone to buy into what you're trying to establish, you get goalies that matter and everything changes.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree. Again, having a real goalie helps. 

It's like a franchise QB in football.

Either you have one or you are looking for one.

Do you have to have either to win?

No see Trent Dilfer and Anit Niemi.

But it makes it a hell of a lot easier.

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

but what purpose does it serve?

Panarin could make the difference maybe in finally getting to the playoffs and being a first round exit to maybe getting to the 2nd or even better the conference finals.

This young group could use some playoff experience, surely you don't just once everyone arrives for them to THEN go straight to the Cup and win it all?

No you expect incremental success year by year. I won't want to put limits on it.

But what is wrong with making to the 2nd round but maybe losing a tough series then the following year the conference finals and making the finals or worse lost the conference finals and then expect to make the finals the following year.

Incremental success and the kids will gain critical experience along the way that will hopefully in the long run 3 to 4 years from now finally win a Cup.

So yes count me in on the group that would like Panarin to be a part of it if I have a choice.

He signs a 5 year deal and 4 years you win a Cup it will be well worth it.

Right?

Along with the other young piece too I mean think about this by that time if it all happens Provorov will be right in his prime...Hart would be near 24.

I'm down with that. Nothing wrong with that plan I say.

Add and get rid of the piece you need and don't need.

40 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

JVR - Frost - Hartman

Raffl- Laughton - NAK

The defense should be:

Provorov - Myers

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Gostisbehere

And goaltending should be:

Hart

Elliott/Talbot (no idea what the Flyers will do)

Sure this isn't crucial to their success but I am going to bring Raffl back.

I really really like what he brings to the club.

He is perfect for the bottom 6.

Especially with not knowing who is going to replace him.

I can't think of a better option at this time.

I like the thought of NAK getting his chance finally but i sure hope he does get the Taylor Leier treatment next year.

I would ok with Goulboune being a 12 or 13th forward next year too. Then need to have someone if need be to insert in the lineup when they need an enforcer type.

I don't want Sam Morin even though I know he can do it to have to feel like he has to be that guy.

I want Sam to concentrate on being that rough tough stay at home crease clearer this team needs so bad.

TGrillz just had a two goal game last night to help Phantoms with including the GWer.

Goulbourne adds some toughness this club lost with the Simmer trade.

NAK played his 200th AHL game last night.

The kid is seasoned enough time to give him some NHL time.

16 minutes ago, Nomorecenterice! said:

This team....needs leadership. Giroux ain't a leader...They need a coach who will put on a steel toe boot and get these underachieving guys to play to there potential. The $$$$ seem to be what most of this group cares about...

So I have to ask.

Is there anything you like about these players, coaches, front office or anything in general about the club?

If so I'd love to read it.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I guess I sort of forgot about the change in coaching, I do think Gordon has done a pretty good job.  I also think and have said before that Fletcher will want to hire "his" guy.  Whomever that is I hope a full scale housecleaning comes with it. I don't know that I think "continuity" is a thing the group needs.

As for adding a big name player this offseason.  I can't help but think that Dave Scott is going to stick his nose where it doesn't belong and press for signing " a guy". More and more it seems to me like Hextall had the pulse of the team and the situation read correctly.  They weren't ready to "go" this year, but they might be soon.  

I do like the young group of players on the NHL roster, I do think more speed would be helpful especially on the PK.  

Watching Tampa v the Caps last night was pretty fun, those teams have skill everywhere and lots of great skating.  Tampa really does look head and shoulders better than anyone right now, if they stay healthy look out. Plus the "low light" 3rd sweaters looked pretty fly.  Add to that, I'd be okay with signing Brayden Point to an offersheet or working out some sort of trade for him.

I'm ready to really see some inprovement though.  Blowing for half a year and then playing lights out half a year makes it difficult to measure any sort of improvment.  Beating bad teams all the time and playing the good ones even up is what I wanted to see this year, and I haven't 

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's it. There's no need to blow things up or spend money because they have it. If anything, this is the time to continue to grow with young players. I get everyone salivating over the idea of adding someone like Panarin to the forward group or Karlsson to the defense, but what purpose does it serve? Those moves are for Stanley Cup contenders. The Flyers aren't a Stanley Cup contender - yet. 

Disagree. Those are moves that MAKE you into a SC contender.

You want to add a Simmer or E Kane or Hayes at the deadline? Sure, those are moves for a SC contender to bring you that extra pop.

But guys like EK make you into one.

So I would be ecstatic if Fletch could land EK. He’s truly elite. 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

JVR - Frost - Hartman

Free Agent - Laughton - NAK

This is a solid lineup however i will make some minor tweaks....

JVR - Frost - Hartman

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

I am bringing Raffl back i like what he brings. And then he can slide to be the 13th forward.

Reason being is my gut tells me the Flyers are going to have to make room in the above lineup for this guy...

I feel this kid will be signed at season's end....he is having to great a season not too....and that will be a good problem to have.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, mojo1917 said:

I think we're just seeing that these Flyers are often young and just aren't better than the Elite teams yet.  

I'm okay with that.  I think the Leafs decided to wake up late, which made it difficult for Gordon and the Flyers to adjust and react. They are faster than the FLyers, that's for sure, but there are ways a team can address that.  But they are young and as I've pointed out earlier, they're really only getting to the halfway point of their season about now.  They've essentially had to relearn the game since Hakstol left and to me, their season (and thus how I measure their progress) only started after Hakstol left.  

The Caps game was a bit of Hart being awfully rusty (Gordon should not have started him) and a bit of them just being on target.

The Penguins however, I see very differently.  THe outdoor classic game was on really terrible ice.  Everyone kind of acknowledged this. And Sullivan and the Penguins were smart enough to adjust their offense to suit it.  They carried the puck more and they didn't attempt a lot of long lateral or timing based passes.  

The Flyers have kind of come to depend on those types of passes and they just couldn't connect on them essentially because the ice was bumpy and slow as hell.  

I think the flow of play in that game felt so lopsided for exactly that reason.  It took the Flyers a while to figure out how to play in those conditions and the Penguins simply knew going in.

Last night was a similar game without the poor ice conditions and frankly in which the Penguins didn't dominate as much in the first two periods.  

They had the possession and shot advantage, but for the most part, the Flyers were giving up the shots they wanted to give up.  Even the goal was on a fairly low % shot that Hart saved cleanly, but the rebound went straight to the trailer who Laughton lost sight of.  

Hart and Murray were great and a big deal has been made about Hart facing 42 shots, but Murray faced 38 which isn't too far off.  

Penguins didn't have Malkin, but the Flyers were playing with a sick Giroux (who clearly wasn't himself).  

Long story short is, they're not elite yet.  They have cap room, elite prospects coming and with a half decent coach (which could mean Gordon or someone else) they will be adding a few pieces and working on what they need to to become Elite.

I know the chatter was that this year was supposed to be "Go Time." but looking at the cap and contract situations and the progression of Hart (if it stayed on target) calling this year Go time was probably more like saying it was the year to go from being bleh to pretty good.

Next year, with all the cap space, the moldy oldie goalies expiring, Hart coming along and the kids getting a little bit better year by year...  whether you always thought so or look at in hind sight, there was always more reason to think next year was the year things really got rolling.

Their play since the switches (Gordon and Hart) have shown us that they're actually a good team now... but the overall situation in the franchise is what tells us they're only getting better and better from here.  

There are a host of reasons why the Flyers aren't in the same class as TB, TO and WSH.  Nobody on this team is in the class of Kucherov, Matthews or Ovechkin.  I don't see this "deficiency" getting resolved any time soon, unless they sign Panarin.  I don't think it's a fatal flaw, though.  Just saying it's a major difference.  Plus, those teams are deeper at forward than the Flyers.  I know prospects are coming along, but I think it will a few years before they are significantly contributing, if at all, at the NHL level.

All those teams have received good goaltending, generally.  It looks like our goalie issue has been addressed, so that's good.

Aside from TB, I'm not all that impressed with TO's or WSH's defense corps.  Think our defense will get stronger as the kids grow and someone un****s Provorov and Ghost.

TB and TO arguably have 2 of the top 5, if not top 3, coaches in the league.  The Caps had the other top 3 coach last year.  Flyers need to grab a great coach this season.  Quenneville seems like the choice given the pedigree, but there are some up and comers.  I expect the Flyers to make Quenneville their primary target.  Query whether Quenneville is the right guy, but you can't argue that his overall track record isn't impressive and on par with the likes of Babcock, Cooper and Trotz.

Finally, veteran leadership is key.  Honestly, I question the Leafs a little bit in that regard.  But certainly think TB and WSH have leadership where necessary.  Think the Flyers could improve in that department, particularly on defense.

I fully expect the Flyers to push hard after Panarin and Quenneville.  Wouldn't shock me for them to miss out on both.  Don't think I'll be bothered if they do miss out.  But I will be bothered if they miss on both and then fail to improve C and/or depth on the wings.  Not quite sure what needs to be done with the defense, if anything, other than jettisoning MacDonald.  Still think they could use a solid player.  Wonder if EK65 is on their radar?  Seems like a longshot to me.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Plus, those teams are deeper at forward than the Flyers.

Are they??

Sure Tampa has more 30 goal scorers but when you look at them as a whole they all have similar depth it seems.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/philadelphia-flyers/statistics

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/washington-capitals/statistics

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/tampa-bay-lightning/statistics

The goaltending improvement has closed the gap a lot.

The biggest difference in just these 3 teams in the PP from what i see.

Tampa's is clicking at 28.5% tops in the NHL.

Capitals is at 21.8% for 9th in the NHL.

Then the lowly Flyers come in 24th at 16.3%.

That is a huge difference when you look at the goal difference too.

19 of Points 38 goals come on the PP. 18 of Stamkos 35 have come on the PP. Kucherov 12 of 35.

AO 17 of his 48. 

Where as Coots on has 6 of his 29.

So if the Flyers could improve their power play their stats surely would look better but even more importantly i bet they would already have a playoffs spot they would be trying to hold onto.

They have fixed the goalie issues, and the PK has greatly improved...now they just have to figure out the power play and they are quickly running out of time.

I can't imagine a PK with Coots and Farabee on it next year...

...should be pretty damn good....he is a Flyer next year unless he wants to go back to school.

Flyers should offer him the max incentive contract you can offer for him to sign.

This is a 30 goal scorer waiting to happen.

2 hours ago, vis said:

There are a host of reasons why the Flyers aren't in the same class as TB, TO and WSH.  Nobody on this team is in the class of Kucherov, Matthews or Ovechkin.  I don't see this "deficiency" getting resolved any time soon, unless they sign Panarin.  I don't think it's a fatal flaw, though.  Just saying it's a major difference.  Plus, those teams are deeper at forward than the Flyers.  I know prospects are coming along, but I think it will a few years before they are significantly contributing, if at all, at the NHL level.

All those teams have received good goaltending, generally.  It looks like our goalie issue has been addressed, so that's good.

Aside from TB, I'm not all that impressed with TO's or WSH's defense corps.  Think our defense will get stronger as the kids grow and someone un****s Provorov and Ghost.

TB and TO arguably have 2 of the top 5, if not top 3, coaches in the league.  The Caps had the other top 3 coach last year.  Flyers need to grab a great coach this season.  Quenneville seems like the choice given the pedigree, but there are some up and comers.  I expect the Flyers to make Quenneville their primary target.  Query whether Quenneville is the right guy, but you can't argue that his overall track record isn't impressive and on par with the likes of Babcock, Cooper and Trotz.

Finally, veteran leadership is key.  Honestly, I question the Leafs a little bit in that regard.  But certainly think TB and WSH have leadership where necessary.  Think the Flyers could improve in that department, particularly on defense.

I fully expect the Flyers to push hard after Panarin and Quenneville.  Wouldn't shock me for them to miss out on both.  Don't think I'll be bothered if they do miss out.  But I will be bothered if they miss on both and then fail to improve C and/or depth on the wings.  Not quite sure what needs to be done with the defense, if anything, other than jettisoning MacDonald.  Still think they could use a solid player.  Wonder if EK65 is on their radar?  Seems like a longshot to me.

I think depth is the big thing.  They just keep coming and their third line can kill you too.  That's what happened in the Washington game.  

If they can pull in a Panarin for the top 6, or trade a D man for a 2C, that will make their 3rd line fantastic and their 4th tolerable enough to hopefully play more than 5 mins a night.  

I'm not sold on Q.  Just not feeling it.  I like the guy from the Marlees, but I really doubt Homer and Scott are going to take a chance on another unproven risk again.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

The biggest difference in just these 3 teams in the PP from what i see.

Tampa's is clicking at 28.5% tops in the NHL.

Capitals is at 21.8% for 9th in the NHL.

Then the lowly Flyers come in 24th at 16.3%.

That is a huge difference when you look at the goal difference too.

19 of Points 38 goals come on the PP. 18 of Stamkos 35 have come on the PP. Kucherov 12 of 35.

AO 17 of his 48. 

Where as Coots on has 6 of his 29.

So if the Flyers could improve their power play their stats surely would look better but even more importantly i bet they would already have a playoffs spot they would be trying to hold onto.

They have fixed the goalie issues, and the PK has greatly improved...now they just have to figure out the power play and they are quickly running out of time.

I'm not going to find the numbers now, but If you only look at the numbers since Gordon took over, the Flyers PP and PK are actually pretty decent right now (I feel like it tracks to something like 6th and 4th in the league in that stretch, but I honestly don't have them at hand).  In any event, able to compete with the aforementioned teams.  They need to get better and he seems to know that.  I just can't imagine how the team with Giroux and Ghost that crushed it on the PP two years ago got so terrible so quickly.  

In getting outclassed by those teams, I honestly feel like a big part of it is just not getting to play teams that good as much since Gordon took over.  They just aren't able to figure out how to adjust their systems to coutneract their attacks quickly enough in one game.

The Toronto game was just a real shame.  Depressed the hell out of me.  Shades of the Hakstol days of just falling apart and giving up, but the bounce back last night was promising.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

If you only look at the numbers since Gordon took over, the Flyers PP and PK are actually pretty decent right now

This is the only number i look at right now...what have you done for me lately....zero power play goals in their last 8 games.

Not good i don't care how they looked in january....they ain't getting it done right now....and with only 10 games left time's a wastin.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just can't imagine how the team with Giroux and Ghost that crushed it on the PP two years ago got so terrible so quickly.

Only thing i can come with (besides saying Knoblach ain't sh it...) is their confidence isn't there...teams are collapsing and giving them the perimeter and they are just not getting any good lanes to get good shots on goal...so you have to find away to overcome the game plan put out against you....and that isn't happening so they pass pass and then pass some more...

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The Toronto game was just a real shame. 

And Elliott looked like shat on 3 goals he should of had...in a one goal loss well say no more...and why can't Talbot play again???

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure Tampa has more 30 goal scorers but when you look at them as a whole they all have similar depth it seems.

Yes, I think Tampa has more depth among its forwards than the Flyers.  They keep coming at you in waves and get scoring from all of their lines.  They've got regular guys in their bottom six with nearly 20G and it looks like most have 10+ goals.  I would swap 4th lines and probably 3rd lines with them.

Not so sure about the Caps.  I'm inclined to say they have more depth as well, but it's a closer call.

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If they can pull in a Panarin for the top 6, or trade a D man for a 2C, that will make their 3rd line fantastic and their 4th tolerable enough to hopefully play more than 5 mins a night.  

Definitely.  Those two moves would put them in a class with TB and WSH, at least on paper.  I'd have no problem with Laughton as 4C.    Of course, it would create a bit of a logjam with guys like Frost and Farrabee coming up, but I see that as no real impediment.  I wonder if they can make it work long-term cap wise.

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not sold on Q.  Just not feeling it.  I like the guy from the Marlees, but I really doubt Homer and Scott are going to take a chance on another unproven risk again.  

Torn as well.  I'd be shocked if the braintrust (sic) would go for inexperienced.  I can see Quenneville benefiting this team by bringing some legitimacy to the coach's room.  But wonder a little bit about his feel for the current game.  I know he gets characterized as a coach who favors vets, but those Blackhawk teams were really young.  And he relied heavily on the kids.  I also believe he liked Parnarin, as I believe the trade that sent him to Columbus pissed off Quenneville.

7 minutes ago, vis said:

They've got regular guys in their bottom six with nearly 20G and it looks like most have 10+ goals.

Gordon flips and scramble lines so much hard to get a real gauge on it i am just going by what i saw to start the game the other night.

Which of course they didn't finish like this....however JVR had seemed to find his way in Gordon't doghouse lately because he isn't a 3rd liner but i'm using it anyways.

Tampa 's 3rd line

Killorn 16 

Cirelli 14 

Joseph 13 

43 goals

Flyers 3rd line the other day

JVR 25

Laughton 12

Raffl 6

43 goals

But the big difference in the two teams is the 4th line. Bolts have a huge advantage.

Flyers basically have a AHL 4th line. Varone Knight and Bailey yeah no where even close.

So one thing is for certain the Flyers have to get rid of the AHL 4th line if they want to compete with the big boys.

Gourde has been playing on Tampa's 4th line and he has more goals by himself than the whole Flyer 4th line.

@vis

And i meant to put in the last post Raffl whom i like belongs on the 4th line.

I am inclined really to put Laughton there to honestly because i think Frost will lock the 3rd line center spot down next year so once you drop Raffl and Laughton down to the 4th find them a RW and i will like that line better next year.

NAK should be given ever chance to take that spot next year if he can't then his time is running out.

Archived