This 3 in 4 is where I hope attention is payed

mojo1917

21 minutes ago, vis said:

Of course, it would create a bit of a logjam with guys like Frost and Farrabee coming up, but I see that as no real impediment.  I wonder if they can make it work long-term cap wise.

I think the idea would be to make Frosty your 3RW to play with JVR/Lindblom and Patrick to give them more favorable matchups and a chance to get their sea legs more (at least the younger ones). and drop Laughts to 4C with Raffl and Hartman.  That’s a heck of a 4th line. 

Thenother up side is if you trade. Young D man for a C, (and waive MacDonald). You have the roster spot for a Tyler Myers. 

The cap magic of signing Panarin, acquiring a legit 2C (even via trade), signing a great vet d-man, and retaining all the RFAs (how much will Hartman and Talbot get—why I preferred to keep Stolarz)... let alone the magic 8Ball call of which D man to trade, is a little intimidating and frankly, I don’t see Fletch as being that ballsy regardless of how much pressure Homer and Scott apply. 

but... if he could do it, he’d set up the Flyers for success next year without risking too much of the existing long term assets. 

He doesn’t have to keep either Ralbot or Hartman, but if he doesn’t, the. We’re back into search mode for those slots. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about 2C right now honestly. Patrick has been coming on well enough that I think he can keep that spot going into next season. Sure, he may not ever become the 90pt+ guy we wanted in a second overall, but I do think he's got enough game to be a 2C.

I think we're looking at finding ourselves a 3C next season, which frankly isn't much easier to find (we needed one going into this season too). Sure, Frost could take the spot, but there's no guarantee of that. Chances are better that he won't make the leap from junior to the NHL without some time in the AHL first. He may become a third line guy at some point in the season if he seems to be lighting it up in the AHL, but I'm not convinced he'll be on the roster straight out of camp.

I think coaching is the obvious elephant in the room. Simply put, we need a good coach and staff who can work with this current set and get them playing an effective system. Hak clearly was not that, and Gordon seems more like a band aid kind of guy than a true NHL level coach to me.

Is that enough? I don't know. It's the easy place to start.

Panarin would be a phenomenal addition. I do hope they go in hard for him. Sure, it would mean Lindblom likely gets fourth line duties, but that's just how it works. Besides, give him good linemates, and suddenly we have an above average 4th line, instead of a bunch of AHL misfits.

A full season with Carter Hart next season is going to be special to watch. I also think Konecny, Lindblom, and Patrick will continue to improve and put up great numbers. Ivan Provorov is going to be one of the D-Men in the league as the team continues to improve. I will be shocked if this team does not make the playoffs next season.

12 minutes ago, Hartsheart said:

I will be shocked if this team does not make the playoffs next season.

I'm not really superstitious and don't believe in jinxes and stuff like that, but Christ man STFU already!

jk 😉

18 hours ago, King Knut said:

I think the idea would be to make Frosty your 3RW to play with JVR/Lindblom and Patrick to give them more favorable matchups and a chance to get their sea legs more (at least the younger ones). and drop Laughts to 4C with Raffl and Hartman.  That’s a heck of a 4th line. 

Unless Frost somehow makes a case for 3C, I agree he's probably ticketed for the wing.  But he's a lefty, which might make the adjustment to RW more of a challenge.  It's not like he's the first left shooting RW, though.  LW seems out of the question if they sign Panarin, unless they move JVR or Giroux over to RW.  Frankly, I'm not sure Frost makes the team this year.  Also, where does Farabee and/or Ratcliffe slot in a few years?  Again, not a bad problem to have and it wouldn't stop me from signing Panarin (assuming a reasonable deal).  I could see them moving a kid if they sign Panarin.

18 hours ago, King Knut said:

The cap magic of signing Panarin, acquiring a legit 2C (even via trade), signing a great vet d-man, and retaining all the RFAs (how much will Hartman and Talbot get—why I preferred to keep Stolarz)... let alone the magic 8Ball call of which D man to trade, is a little intimidating and frankly, I don’t see Fletch as being that ballsy regardless of how much pressure Homer and Scott apply. 

Think he has the balls.  Let's see if he uses them the right way.  He's got a real tall task list ahead of him. 

First off, they need to hire a coach.  My concern is that there's a long courting process with Quenneville, who I think is their preordained choice.  Maybe they already have a handshake deal in place.  Who knows.  Whoever they choose, I'd like for it to be finalized ASAP.

I think the RFAs should be relatively easy to sign, although I bet Konecny becomes a little drawn out.  Provorov having a down year should help in terms of leverage with him.  Sanheim, I would think, gets done quickly.  Laughton and Hartman are arbitration eligible, but I don't see either ending up there. 

I think Talbot signs here with no questions.  Fletcher has to make a decision on Raffl, but I'm not sad if they don't sign him.  I think they tell him he's welcome to test UFA, but they remain interested at the right price.

Then, Fletcher has to make the right choices in UFA and/or possibly make a trade.  

And then there is the draft. In addition to their own pick, I believe they have the Devils' 3d rounder.  That pick is likely to be among the first five in that round.

Very important summer which could shape this team for years to come.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not really superstitious and don't believe in jinxes and stuff like that, but Christ man STFU already!

jk 😉

I understand the whole jinx stuff even though I don't believe in it. The team is headed in the right direction in my opinion. I mean look at the Flames this season and who would have thought they would be where they are today or the season before with Vegas. Why can't it be Philly next season?

16 hours ago, elmatus said:

I'm not worried about 2C right now honestly. Patrick has been coming on well enough that I think he can keep that spot going into next season. Sure, he may not ever become the 90pt+ guy we wanted in a second overall, but I do think he's got enough game to be a 2C.  

I think we're looking at finding ourselves a 3C next season, which frankly isn't much easier to find (we needed one going into this season too).

Yeah, that's all fair.  I should probably qualify my thoughts on 2C: it's not so much about whether Patrick is a 2C or 3C.  It's that I don't want Laughton as a 3C.  So, signing a legit 2C or 3C would be fine.  Looking at the UFA pool, it seems like Duchene, Hayes or maybe Brock Nelson would be targets.  Duchene is probably a 2C.  Hayes as well.  Nelson is probably a 3C.  If they miss on Panarin, wouldn't shock me to see them press hard for Duchene.  Not sure how I feel about that.  He's going to get paid and he's only been good on bad teams.  

5 minutes ago, Hartsheart said:

I understand the whole jinx stuff even though I don't believe in it. The team is headed in the right direction in my opinion. I mean look at the Flames this season and who would have thought they would be where they are today or the season before with Vegas. Why can't it be Philly next season?

It's all good man, just having a laugh. I agree. Three months ago I couldn't be bothered to watch this Flyers team. Hart and the play of the young guys you mention are the only reason I have an interest in watching.

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Unless Frost somehow makes a case for 3C, I agree he's probably ticketed for the wing.  But he's a lefty, which might make the adjustment to RW more of a challenge.  It's not like he's the first left shooting RW, though.  LW seems out of the question if they sign Panarin, unless they move JVR or Giroux over to RW.  Frankly, I'm not sure Frost makes the team this year.  Also, where does Farabee and/or Ratcliffe slot in a few years?  Again, not a bad problem to have and it wouldn't stop me from signing Panarin (assuming a reasonable deal).  I could see them moving a kid if they sign Panarin.

Just spitballing on how to improve the team from here.  You're right though, there probably isn't room for Frost and Panarin on the wings without an additional trade.  And I have little interst in seeing Frost on the 4h line anyway, not unless there's a commitment to the 4th line scoring more, and it doesn't seem like that's ever going to be likely (though maybe if they keep Gordon, who seems to HATE having to ice an "energy" line).

Getting all three new players I'm talking about isn't likely to be affordable anyway.  

Farabee's only a Freshman in college.  Not likely he'll be pushing the NHL next year.

Ratcliffe can be an injury call up and compete for Raffl's job eventually.

One of them is going to have to push to the right side eventually if they're both going to be Flyers.

I'd be just thrilled if our 4th line was Farabee Laughton Ratcliffe for a few years.  

Fletcher trading JVR is also a distinct possibility.  His value's going to be pretty high as it is, let alone if he keeps pushing and pots 30 goals in what was mostly an off year for him.  

I still support signing him, but if Fletcher brings in a Panarin and Frost makes the team, I have no issues trading him.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Think he has the balls.  Let's see if he uses them the right way.  He's got a real tall task list ahead of him. 

Nothing I see suggests that to me, but we'll see.  I'm glad you have faith there's chutzpah lurking beneath the surface.  I hope it's got some thinking behind it.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

First off, they need to hire a coach.  My concern is that there's a long courting process with Quenneville, who I think is their preordained choice.  Maybe they already have a handshake deal in place.  Who knows.  Whoever they choose, I'd like for it to be finalized ASAP.

Just not sold on the Q thing myself.  Just not clicking for me.  Something about it feels wrong.  Like it's over cooking the stew a bit... throwing in too many ingredients.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

I think the RFAs should be relatively easy to sign, although I bet Konecny becomes a little drawn out.  Provorov having a down year should help in terms of leverage with him.  Sanheim, I would think, gets done quickly.  Laughton and Hartman are arbitration eligible, but I don't see either ending up there. 

TK is going to push, but he should settle for something similar to what Coots got.

Provo is likely to get a long term lock up deal like Nylander or Pastrnak

They might try locking Sanheim in to a similar term but for less $$ and see if he'll bite.

Laughton and Hartman should resign for a couple of million each.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

I think Talbot signs here with no questions.  Fletcher has to make a decision on Raffl, but I'm not sad if they don't sign him.  I think they tell him he's welcome to test UFA, but they remain interested at the right price.

I'm just not convinced Talbot will resign here.  Hey may.  But if he's offered a starting job somewhere, I'd have to assume he'd take it.  

I expect Raffl to resign.  I don't expect it will be a big deal.  He's useful and he was apparently really relieved when he wasn't moved at the deadline, so he's comfortable here.   There's always an off chance someone calls him on 7/1 and offers a ton of cash, but I doubt it.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Then, Fletcher has to make the right choices in UFA and/or possibly make a trade.  

The draft will be interesting.  Hextall had a knack for knowing the pick that somehow fell off everyone's radar a bit which is good for mid round picks, but his scouts were a big part of that and most of them are still around.  

Trading a D man for a.... something is what I'll be curious about.  It's the most obvious trade and one he's likely to attempt just to get all the D men playing time.  Who do you risk though?  Or rather who do you send away now instead of knowing that Seattle will just take him for free next summer?  it's not an easy call by any stretch.  I do not envy the position and if it was me, I might not have the balls myself and just waive MacDonald and get them all as much playing time as possible, maybe platooning Myers and Morin for a while.  

7 minutes ago, vis said:

Very important summer which could shape this team for years to come.

Well the good news is that I (at least me) feel like they're in a decent place now.  Hopefully all Fletcher can really do is improve the team.  He doesn't NEED to tinker too much with what's here.  If he just resigns the RFAs and brings in someone half decent for Simmer's roster spot, he's done a fine job.  

The trust test will be to see if he's got the vision to really put something extra special together out there. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

Yeah, that's all fair.  I should probably qualify my thoughts on 2C: it's not so much about whether Patrick is a 2C or 3C.  It's that I don't want Laughton as a 3C.  So, signing a legit 2C or 3C would be fine.  Looking at the UFA pool, it seems like Duchene, Hayes or maybe Brock Nelson would be targets.  Duchene is probably a 2C.  Hayes as well.  Nelson is probably a 3C.  If they miss on Panarin, wouldn't shock me to see them press hard for Duchene.  Not sure how I feel about that.  He's going to get paid and he's only been good on bad teams.  

My biggest reservation about Patrick penciled in as 2C next year is the slow starts in these past two seasons. Granted he's young and had injuries to deal with, but the Flyers simply can't afford another season where their 2C takes until January to get going. Bringing in a legitimate 2C (preferable someone who has also played wing) will take some pressure off Patrick and allow him to grow into the role as 3C. Couturier did it for years until he was finally able to find those extra gears.

Add yet another coach in the mix - the third in less than a season - and likely the entire coaching staff, and I can see another slow-ish start as the team has to relearn and adapt to a different way of doing things.

53 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Just not sold on the Q thing myself.  Just not clicking for me.  Something about it feels wrong.  Like it's over cooking the stew a bit... throwing in too many ingredients.  

How come? Over 23 seasons, he has well over 1600 games and has only ever had ONE season with more losses and OTL than wins. I count those OTL as losses because, well, they are, and they are point slippage.

To put that in perspective, despite the ridiculous pace the Flyers have been on and pushing for a playoff spot, they have still lost more games than they've won this year (35 W, 37 L/OTL), which is now a 5-year trend (though one season they were 41 W and 41 L/OTL).

I think he's one of those guys like Trotz and Babcock that is a clear difference maker. He might not work out, but I believe it would be shortsighted for Fletch to pass up that opportunity - if it exists.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I still support signing him, but if Fletcher brings in a Panarin and Frost makes the team, I have no issues trading him. 

So you are ok signing a 30 goal scorer and then turning around and trading one??

So what would you be getting for him?  Why can't you have both?? 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

How come? Over 23 seasons, he has well over 1600 games and has only ever had ONE season with more losses and OTL than wins. I count those OTL as losses because, well, they are, and they are point slippage.

To put that in perspective, despite the ridiculous pace the Flyers have been on and pushing for a playoff spot, they have still lost more games than they've won this year (35 W, 37 L/OTL), which is now a 5-year trend (though one season they were 41 W and 41 L/OTL).

I think he's one of those guys like Trotz and Babcock that is a clear difference maker. He might not work out, but I believe it would be shortsighted for Fletch to pass up that opportunity - if it exists.

Yeah I know... I just can't put my finger on it.  

I'm really not sure how on earth they're going to justify not keeping Gordon on after the turnaround, but even if they successfully negotiate that one, there's something telling me that Q just isn't going to fit in Philly.  The only way they could possibly consider dumping Gordon is if they know he's got another team to land with.  It could be another situation that comes back to haunt them at some point.  

But beyond Gordon, and focusing on Quennville, first off, Fletcher just doesn't seem like a dominant type of personality.  Q does.   SO there's Fletcher, kind of this quiet reserved guy stuck in between Holmgren and Scott (who we know are capable of just about anything at any moment) and Q, who's a pretty firey personality who seems to wear his rage on his sleeve.  

That also makes me wonder how he's going to cope with being a Flyer and how he's going to deal with the refs and the league.  For instance, how do you think Q would cope with Bettman suspending Voracek for that "interference" on Boychuck?  How would he cope with the refs pulling the kind of crap they tend to do to the flyers (and it's not just me, everyone from Briere to Laviolette has complained about it)?

I don't think he'll cope well.  It may not be a bad thing actually. I've been wanting a coach who will let the refs have it for most of my adult life.  

Then there's his systems.  How are they going to function?  Did the Blackhawks fall off just because some of them got old (despite Kane continuing to score relentlessly) or did they league change around them?  

Then there are coaches like Sheldon Keefe who is almost certain to get an NHL job next year (Frankly, Hextall should have given him one last year and we probably wouldn't be in this mess).  Do you miss out on the next Jon Cooper or someone because you want to give the HOF coach one last go around?  

But more than any of these things, it's just a feeling.  Can't say what it is.  Maybe it's all of it combined.  I don't know.  Maybe he'll be fine.  I just don't feel great about it.  Isn't that weird?  

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So you are ok signing a 30 goal scorer and then turning around and trading one??

I'm not saying they HAVE to trade JVR to get Panarin and give Frost a roster spot, just that those are the circumstances under which I'd be okay with trading him.  

What would they get? I don't know... a roster spot on the left side for Panarin and maybe a 2C in return so Patty can get better matchups on the third with Lindblom and Frost on his wings plus 7 million in cap space to help pay for Tyler Myers?  

But again, I'm not pushing to trade JVR.  I've never had a problem with the signing or him as a player (although I know his 26 goals have been really hard on some people here because of back checking or something or other ;) )

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That said, we can have both, but it would require someone playing on their off wing.  Probably at least two people.

One thing I don't want is a long term signing for a 2C or 3C.  Frost is a Center and even if he starts as a wing, should return to C in a few years regardless, which is why I like the idea of trading for an established one whose contract might be up on a similar timeline.

Whether that means trading JVR or trading a young D man we'd rather not part with, I just don't know...  It's a very tough call to me.  

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Then there are coaches like Sheldon Keefe who is almost certain to get an NHL job next year (Frankly, Hextall should have given him one last year and we probably wouldn't be in this mess).  Do you miss out on the next Jon Cooper or someone because you want to give the HOF coach one last go around?  

This is it, this is my fear with Quennville, summed up perfectly -right here.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm really not sure how on earth they're going to justify not keeping Gordon on after the turnaround, but even if they successfully negotiate that one, there's something telling me that Q just isn't going to fit in Philly. 

they justify it by saying, Gordon was the interim coach and Fletcher wants his own guy. 

Mid season was not the time to conduct a proper search and vetting process. We thank Scott for his service to the organization and hope to retain him in some fashion but if he wishes to pursue an NHL coaching job we wish him, well, he's done a fine job. 

Heck they can even interview him for the opening, give him the ability to hire his own assistants... I don't think there is a moral/ethical problem there at all. 

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think there is a moral/ethical problem there at all. 

It's not moral or ethical to me, it may just reduce credibility with some folks around the league.  Homer already has a bit of an issue with this as did Clarke before him.  

Essentially, I don't want a Keefe type to be able to turn the Flyers down in a couple of years if Q doesn't work out because he knows no matter how well he does, if someone with a fancier name comes along, he knows they'll can him and hire that guy ASAP.  

The Homer does not have a good history with this sort of thing.  I think what happened to Lavvy (along with the more offensive Weber offer sheet) contributed to the problems he had getting deals done.  

Fact of the matter is other GMs LOVED trading with Hextall.  I just wish he'd taken the opportunity to talk to a few coaches too!  

19 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I've never had a problem with the signing or him as a player (although I know his 26 goals have been really hard on some people here because of back checking or something or other ;) )

Sure if you are ok with a guy who doesn't back check just because he scores goal....so how happy will you be when he stops scoring because then he just becomes Simmer 2.0.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure if you are ok with a guy who doesn't back check just because he scores goal....so how happy will you be when he stops scoring because then he just becomes Simmer 2.0.

Sorta the price of doing business in the NHL these days isn't it?  

Which side are you arguing anyway?  Or is it just the "Give King a hard time" side?

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Sorta the price of doing business in the NHL these days isn't it?  

Which side are you arguing anyway?  Or is it just the "Give King a hard time" side?

See no it's not the price of doing business.

It's favortism...the Sam thing we complain about Hak doing.

You have to hold everyone accountable.

It doesn't carry much weight if you don't you can't turn around and bitch TK or Laughton out for not back checking and then turn around and give JVR a pass because he has been on fire lately.

Everyone need to be striving for the same goal.

The only thing that has simmered JVR being on blast is his 10 goals the last 11 games otherwise most fans were ready to run him out of town.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It doesn't carry much weight if you don't you can't turn around and bitch TK or Laughton out for not back checking and then turn around and give JVR a pass because he has been on fire lately.

Well that depends on a couple of things doesn't it?  

I'm not Hakstol apologist, I wanted him gone for a long time,  but I do believe that he was harder on TK, Laughton and Ghost and some of the other kids specifically because he was being charged with turning them into a certain type of player, whereas the vets who sucked were never going to be able to be turned into that kind of player at this stage in their career and the same goes for the ones that were good at one thing (Jake most notably) but not the other.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Everyone need to be striving for the same goal.

Absolutely not.  That's kind of the point, isn't it?  Everyone has a role to play.  You have to lean in on everyone's individual strengths.

So it also depends on what you're telling them as a coach relating to those individual strengths.  

For instance:  

A)  It's a pretty dire situation or a pretty crappy system if EVERY one of your players is deep in his own zone back checking all the time.  

B)  If not everyone is going to get themselves deep into their zone, what if you're specifically saying to TK and Laughton, "hey, you guys need to back check because you can actually skate well enough to get back there and Jake and JVR can't, so make sure to get your butts back into the D zone" then there's a pretty good reason to be harder on them if they don't.

All of this notwithstanding, the Flyers weren't bad in the first half of the season because Jake and JVR didn't back check enough and I was never ready to run JVR out of town.  It's pretty silly.  His upward trend goes farther than the last 10 games too.  He's just been more consistent over them.  Remember, he got hurt in the second game of the season and lost a lot of time.  

Remember how it took Coots a few weeks to get up to speed after his off season knee tweak damaged his camp time?  

JVR is JVR, you didn't bring him in to back check.  Same with Jake.  But as long as they keep scoring hat tricks and sending your tight games to OT and someone else IS able to back check, why is it so important to run a guy out of town?

It's typical Flyer fandom... hate a guy for not scoring, until he does, then hate him for not back checking enough. 

Patty's a bust as #2 because he doesn't score enough, yet that is in part because he's learning how to play a 200ft game. 

How much did we hate Coots for not being able to be both a great back checker and a great scorer? 

TK could have 70 points if he didn't, but he's learning a 200ft. game.  

it's not realistic to expect a perfect game out of every one of our players every night.  So yeah, if JVR can score 30 goals, I will in fact, forgive a lot.  Imagine if our PP was good!  Think about how many goals he could have.   

5 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm not Hakstol apologist, I wanted him gone for a long time,  but I do believe that he was harder on TK, Laughton and Ghost and some of the other kids specifically because he was being charged with turning them into a certain type of player, whereas the vets who sucked were never going to be able to be turned into that kind of player at this stage in their career and the same goes for the ones that were good at one thing (Jake most notably) but not the other.

Sounds like a long winded excuse.

Ride the kids but since the vets are stuck in their ways we'll just deal with it.

No wonderthe team's head is f**ked.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Absolutely not.

Sorry you lost me at this. Team objective comes first regardless roles are within that.

55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like a long winded excuse.

Ride the kids but since the vets are stuck in their ways we'll just deal with it.

Or maybe just use the players for what they're good at.  It's that simple.  

You really think every player on the ice is coached to do exactly the same thing in all situations?

Sorry you lost me at this. Team objective comes first regardless roles are within that.

No, you've lost me.  Your roles on the team contribute to the team objective of winning hockey games.  Period. 

Giroux doesn't camp out in front of the net and JVR doesn't get caught in deep behind his own.

It's not that hard.  

23 minutes ago, King Knut said:

It's that simple.  

It's really not. We are not going to agree on this.

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

You really think every player on the ice is coached to do exactly the same thing in all situations?

Yeah the should be with respect to their different positions how else are they suppose to know what the other guys are going to do.

You can't have 5 players out on the ice doing 5 different things....which would explain their plays sometimes.

26 minutes ago, King Knut said:

No, you've lost me. 

Good then let's end the conversation. We don't agree. I' good with that. You have your mind made up. I'm done.

As long as the Flyers don't know what direction they're headed in with regards to the coaching staff and system, it just re-affirms not getting involved in the free agency game this year. There's LOTS of good players that are heading for free agency in 2020 and more important, the Flyers should have a much better idea as to what kind of players they can target to fit whatever coach is brought onboard and what system is used.

I think it needs to be stressed that free agency hasn't been too kind to the Flyers when you look back at Flyers history. I think the only real free agent that worked out for them was Mike Knuble and Danny Briere and even then, Briere didn't fulfill his contract because he was bought out. Roenick was a shell of himself when he signed. Joel Otto couldn't skate anymore. Luke Richardson could only move laterally. Chris Gratton was supposed to be a 40 goal scorer and shore the 2nd line center spot and he flamed out. Vincent Lecavalier was done. Ilya Bryzgalov completely blew up. Turner Stevenson was done. The list goes on and on. Free agency really hasn't been kind to this franchise at all.

Archived