Wild vs. Islanders 3/17/19 @ 5:00PM CST vs. the "X"

CreaseAndAssist

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can always tell when the game is kind of neutral just by reading the messages on the board.

If it's an exciting game there is a lot exclamation points.

If it's bad, a lot of bit,,ing.

And if it's kind of neutral like tonight there's more talk of dinner, snow blowers and crock pots

1 minute ago, Tomdog said:

I can always tell when the game is kind of neutral just by reading the messages on the board.

If it's an exciting game there is a lot exclamation points.

If it's bad, a lot of bit,,ing.

And if it's kind of neutral like tonight there's more talk of dinner, snow blowers and crock pots

E7F7DBB9-A744-42AA-939D-B26FBD44F11A.jpeg

2 hours ago, MNSOTA said:

Hey all.

I don't know what you're going to get for a postgame tonight. I got off work about an hour ago and LIG is absolutely exhausted. He watched the rebroadcast of last night's game after we got home from our charity trivia contest. We came in second place, third year in a row....by only 3 points.

First world problems

Wild Squander Golden Opportunity in 3-2 Overtime Loss to the Islanders

(sigh)  Desperate effort, but still the overtime choices baffle me.  Spurgeon was outstanding but we put out Kwik Trip to start overtime.  Leads to an odd-man rush and Islanders take their time and score with ease early into OT.  I don't get it.  I have a full game recap, an Iowa Wild report and a ton of prospect updates.  Enjoy...

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

Do you suppose NY thought to themselves, oh boy one of us gets to score a goal, when they saw Suter and Staal on the ice for overtime

Of course they did.  The word is out on the ‘contract coaster.’  Everyone knows he is a shadow of anything he once was.  He reminds me of Dorn from the movie Major League. He ain’t going to sell out for anything anymore.  He has his money and his future.  He will not do any dirty work to improve as he ages.  Yet, he still demands top ice time.  Without Spurgeon, his defense is a five alarm dumpster fire.  

The bigger question is on is why he is out there?!  There is nothing left to to see here - he sucks and is a liability. 

59 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

The bigger question is on is why he is out there?!  There is nothing left to to see here - he sucks and is a liability

No he probably shouldn't be out there as a first option.

But I think he sucks and is a liability is too much.

Yes he's slow, yes his lateral movements are gone, yes he coasts trying to extend his ice time.

But his positioning is still good and he does have good size.

The overtime goal is not all on him, kunnin got caught puck watching and should have been keeping track of his man.

But there is a strange trend in the decisions on how and who plays.

Hopefully next year will be different.

15 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Yes he's slow, yes his lateral movements are gone, yes he coasts trying to extend his ice time.

The overtime goal is not all on him, kunnin got caught puck watching and should have been keeping track of his man.

Disappointing loss in OT. We limited them with only 19 shots in regulation and were able to put 34 shots towards their net. Parise’s goal between legs and Spurgeon’s goal were pretty good. Donato was noticeable too and had 2 assists.

Agreed, Suter shouldn't be out there as a first option. 

We have used before successfully with Bruce 1st option in OT – 2 defensemen (Dumba,Brodin) and 1 forward (Coyle). Why we are not using the same strategy? What did we see today? Parise- Kunin- Suter. I would prefer to try OT starting in the future with 2 faster defensemen – Spurgeon and Hunt combined with one fast forward - Donato? Maybe that trio will work better?Then a 2nd trio- Zucker-Staal-Seeler; and a 3rd trio – Parise-Greenway-Brodin; or Kunin-Fiala-Pateryn.

Since Boudreau is fond of 'The hot hand'...Why the  **** wasn't Spurgeon on the ice to start the OT ??

What a waste of such a monster game by Spurgeon.

The decision to start the Turtle line gave away 1 point...again.

I'm so in favor of Fenton bringing in whoever he wants as a coach now.

Unbelievable.

9 hours ago, Tomdog said:

How many times do we have to see Suter skate off after an OT goal given up?  I was all for Dumba, am still for Spurgeon, Brodin, Hunt, and even Seeler.  They are just better skaters, and we have seen enough of Suter in OT.  Just like we have seen enough of Suter at +25 minutes.  There is nothing left to see (assess) here - it is not a winning strategy often enough.  He sucks and IS a liability in OT - go back and check the record with him - it isn’t pretty, and I would like to see anyone else but him.

2 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

How many times do we have to see Suter skate off after an OT goal given up?  I was all for Dumba, am still for Spurgeon, Brodin, Hunt, and even Seeler.  They are just better skaters, and we have seen enough of Suter in OT.  Just like we have seen enough of Suter at +25 minutes.  There is nothing left to see (assess) here - it is not a winning strategy often enough.  He sucks and IS a liability in OT - go back and check the record with him - it isn’t pretty, and I would like to see anyone else but him.

How many people saw who was on the ice to start OT and said "Game Over" ?

Or "Why...WHY !!" 

How about, Just off the top of my head who have speed and puck handling:

Spurgeon - Donato - Kunin

Brodin - Zucker - Parise

At least have 2 of 3 with speed FFS.

That brief moment we had control of the puck and we play it like a PP. 

"Get it in deep behind the D..." = Put it to the boards and turn it over.

:bonkingheadonwall::bonkingheadonwall:

Suter's body language was pretty telling when the Isles scored the OT goal. No hurry, shoulders couldn't have dropped more... PRIOR to them scoring.

History repeats itself. Why BB allows this to happen is beyond me. The money must be good.

I was going to reply yesterday but just figured not worth my time at that point. But it needs to be hung up in the locker room and on the bench that # 20 with out # 46 is the biggest liability defensewise we have. Suter might be making Vanek look more defense minded less a liability. The decline is so fast it's not even funny.

But I do want to point out that Parise cried about not being out there during the last OT. He was out there for this one as the Islanders moved down the zone and scored. I wouldn't normally point this out but if you watch you can clearly see Parise is not being held on too or anything but the Islanders move into our zone and set up for a good amount of time and just before they shoot you finally see Fiala come in the picture. Parise went to do a line change when it was clear that the Islanders could have easily did a 3 on 2. On top of Parise was slow to do it. The Wild need every point even if that means you have to stay out there longer. I don't like how Parise handled this. He left his guys out there and was slow to line change as we know Fiala is quick and it took him some time to get there. Parise did a lot of good all game but after making a complaint about not playing OT and doing a play like that it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But having #20 out there in OT is suicide much less without #46 to back him up.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, bbgarnett said:

Spurgeon Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kgLs6pc.gif

Today it was published a very nice article on 2 pages about a Jared Spurgeon in Star Tribune newspaper. I do not remember such a big article about any Wild player. He put the most goals (70;+/-  +61) as a defenseman for the Wild team and having a chance to surpass Burns record per season in a Wild uniform (17 goals). His picture was placed on a first page (almost half of the page) in a sport section of it.

Archived