Game 72: Flyers at Pens; 3/17/19 @ 7:30

Howie58

Greetings:

I am posting this during the start of the game  So far, it has been a "run-and-gun" game.  It will be interesting to see how the O and B react after the loss in Toronto.

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I am posting this during the start of the game  So far, it has been a "run-and-gun" game.  It will be interesting to see how the O and B react after the loss in Toronto.

Lots of run & gun and it continues into the 2nd period.

2 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Lots of run & gun and it continues into the 2nd period.

Yea, but isn't it nice to go run n gun and have a goalie that will actually STOP shots (Hart) instead of looking like a fish out of water trying to keep them out (Elliott)?

I am sure the coaches don't like the constant scoring chances against, but at least they have a goalie that can deal with it if it has to happen.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yea, but isn't it nice to go run n gun and have a goalie that will actually STOP shots (Hart) instead of looking like a fish out of water trying to keep them out (Elliott)?

I am sure the coaches don't like the constant scoring chances against, but at least they have a goalie that can deal with it if it has to happen.

Dear TFG:

Yes, it is a "blessing."  But the Flyers seem to be one or two speeds slower than the Pens.  Sadly, that has been a problem for the team all season against >.500 teams.  

Just now, Howie58 said:

Dear TFG:

Yes, it is a "blessing."  But the Flyers seem to be one or two speeds slower than the Pens.  Sadly, that has been a problem for the team all season against >.500 teams.  

That the Flyers are a couple speeds slower than the Pens, I can agree 1000%.....I would not have even entertained the thought that overall team speed on Philadelphia is comparable to what is on Pittsburgh. Not even close.

But what I am saying is, if the Flyers find themselves in the situation they are in (playing Pens style run n gun), then at least they have a goalie that they can feel confident will make stops.

I think we all know that if it were Elliott, Stolarz, Lyon, Tiger, Bear....or anyone else back there, and the teams are running and gunning, Philly might very well be down 3 or 4-0 nothing by now.

I don't think Philly should be trying to play this type of game with Pittsburgh, but yet, here they are, and thankfully for O and B fans, Hart is doing the netminding.

I implore Philly to seriously try and rectify their defensive situation in the off season to help insulate Hart a bit more.
That young goalie deserves at least that much.
Philly offense, I don't worry so much about, some more maturity from some of their guys and maybe some prospects stepping in next season and contributing as well, and I think they will be ok there.

But the overall defense on Philadelphia is either plodding or lacking woefully in responsible coverage.....and Hart is bailing them out left n right.
Flyers do not want that to be how they play games next season.
Don't know how they can do it, but some of those bodies on defense just may need to go and the younger ones on defense are gonna have to mature a bit quicker if this team wants a sniff at the post season next year.

Regis interviews Gordon, who says the Flyers need to shoot more and stop trying to force passes through sticks and skates!! 

This is is the second game I have heard Gordon mention this. Too bad the team doesn’t listen,....

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think we all know that if it were Elliott, Stolarz, Lyon, Tiger, Bear....or anyone else back there, and the teams are running and gunning, Philly might very well be down 3 or 4-0 nothing by now.

You forgot Walrus!

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That the Flyers are a couple speeds slower than the Pens, I can agree 1000%.....I would not have even entertained the thought that overall team speed on Philadelphia is comparable to what is on Pittsburgh. Not even close.

But what I am saying is, if the Flyers find themselves in the situation they are in (playing Pens style run n gun), then at least they have a goalie that they can feel confident will make stops.

I don't think Philly should be trying to play this type of game with Pittsburgh, but yet, here they are, and thankfully for O and B fans, Hart is doing the netminding.

I implore Philly to seriously try and rectify their defensive situation in the off season to help insulate Hart a bit more.
That young goalie deserves at least that much.
Philly offense, I don't worry so much about, some more maturity from some of their guys and maybe some prospects stepping in next season and contributing as well, and I think they will be ok there.

But the overall defense on Philadelphia is either plodding or lacking woefully in responsible coverage.....and Hart is bailing them out left n right.
Flyers do not want that to be how they play games next season.
Don't know how they can do it, but some of those bodies on defense just may need to go and the younger ones on defense are gonna have to mature a bit quicker if this team wants a sniff at the post season next year.

Yes, D + a sniper would help.  

13 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

But the Flyers seem to be one or two speeds slower than the Pens. 

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't think I can agree with a couple speeds.  Maybe one speed...not two.  Pens are way more dynamic with the puck though.  

Whatever the outcome, I wouldn't fault the team for lack of effort.  But watching teams like the Pens, Columbus, or Vegas reminds me of that we don't "swarm attack."  We are "uber" grinders.  They are SST's. Our D may be slow but I suspect offensive team speed (lack) heightens the D shortcomings. 

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

WAY TO GO MURRAY FOR LOOKING LIKE MARC ANDRE FLUERY! JUST GIVE THE FLYERS THE GAME! THAT'S THE SECOND TIME THIS YEAR! GIGGLE F'N GIGGLE!

You need to put that last one squarely on Crosby for turning the puck over and then failing to even attempt to back check. Murray probably would like to have that last one back but he certainly bailed them out more than he let them down. Hartman was out last game with the illness and he passed it to Giroux who looked painfully slow tonight. Flyers where outplayed for huge stretches of the game but they did keep Crosby off the score board for a change.

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

JVR is en fuego.  He is earning his $7 million. 

19 goals in the last 29 games.

Impressive as hell.

They seemed to have fixed the PK.

They have found some good goaltending.

If they could only fix the goddamn PP.

Zero goals with the man advantage through the last 8 games.

That is beyond sad.

Archived