Game 72: Flyers at Pens; 3/17/19 @ 7:30

Howie58

5 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

murray made some good stops in the game. can't fault him too much. i guess if it were the other way around we'd be harping over every mistake also.  

This is true! It posses me off that Pittsburgh had the the last 2 Flyers games won going into the last minute. Then my buddy let's in a couple of fluke goals to lose it for the Pens in both games!

I don't want to read another word about effort or leadership. The issue this team has had this year has been unreliable goaltending.  Elliott killed them Saturday with those two Muzzin goals....Not Matthews, Marner, or Nylander...Jake ****** Muzzin.  It should be Hart's net for the next 10 years.  

For real, it not like this group isn't committed.  When they get good goaltending they can be good. 

Look at Ivan laying out to prevent the empty netter, beating two Pens. Guys were battling, Giroux dry heaving between shifts was gross, but there he was  doing G **** - killing penalties, winning face offs when the team needed him. 

I thought 23 was really good and 19 had his moments too.

Definitely a goalie showcase though, Murray was very good in the 3rd, Hart was outstanding.

11 hours ago, flyerrod said:

You need to put that last one squarely on Crosby for turning the puck over and then failing to even attempt to back check. Murray probably would like to have that last one back but he certainly bailed them out more than he let them down. Hartman was out last game with the illness and he passed it to Giroux who looked painfully slow tonight. Flyers where outplayed for huge stretches of the game but they did keep Crosby off the score board for a change.

Watching that live I thought Crosby was going to force a turnover, he had that "look".

Instead he got caught gambling on the pass from Ghost,- Ghost made a really slick play into the open ice and after that happened, McDavid wasn't going to be able to get back..Crosby was huffing to try to catch up- it wouldn't have mattered.  Great shot from Couturier, people may want to rag on Murray but the shots that beat him were superb, they had to be, he was very good all night. 

Also of note from this game 0,0,0 Crosby's stat line, first time I think in his career he's been held off the score sheet vs the Flyers...Gordon did a nice job getting 9 and 6 out vs him, I think those guys can keep up with him and his mates, I haven't thought that about a Flyers d-pairing most of the the time 87"s been in the league.

Pierre was very complementary to our top pair, he also must have had "prime" seats for Giroux's grossness, he commented on it more than once. 

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they could only fix the goddamn PP.

Zero goals with the man advantage through the last 8 games.

That is beyond sad.

My gut says this reflects the offense...it is not "creative."  It is not uptempo.  Lateral movement isn't there; we are not a Vegas-Columbus-Edmonton.  We play north-south/grind. I am not saying we are unskilled.  We aren't "innovative."

So many key plays in the end to seal this win. That amazing break up on the empty net by Ivan.

The blocker save by Hart on that two on one.

That saucer pass by TK to set JVR up on that game tying goal.

And then Coots with that rocket wrister to seal the deal.

Yeah hell of a way to steal a win from a team who had come into the game 7-1-1 in their last 9 games since they last played.

It took everyone. It will take everyone in this next game vs. the team they are trying to leapfrog....Montreal tuesday.

And the guy has caught so much flak this year (yeah even by me) but man has JVR stepped up his game.

10 goals in the last 11 games. As @Howie58 put it.............en fuego!!!!!!🔥

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My gut says this reflects the offense...it is not "creative."  It is not uptempo.  Lateral movement isn't there; we are not a Vegas-Columbus-Edmonton.  We play north-south/grind. I am not saying we are unskilled.  We aren't "innovative."

Man if they could just get that damn thing going if but for no more than just one power play a game...i'd take it...hell look how many one loss games they have had...lost to Toronto 7-6.

CBJ 4-3. MIN 5-4. LA 3-2.

That is just since the start of February. At this point they could have used those points. 

Especially the CBJ loss the team they are trying to catch and pass...man that hurts.

And i am sure there are many more if you go back through the season where just one more goal and there is a different outcome maybe.

Please for the love of God there are only 10 games remaining....get the damn power play working Gordon!!!!!

Season may be "over" but I can always get behind beating the Pens....especially in such dramatic fashion!

GREAT play by coots all the way around.

GREAT game by Hart....(seriously, good bye Elliott.)

GREAT heart shown by #28 playing in that condition

Archived