Game 73: Canadiens at Flyers: 3/19/19 @ 7

Howie58

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The brains have us at a 4% chance of making the playoffs. We had grown to about 8% after Hart's heroics, but our mixed record since then has dropped us back to 4%.

Either way you cut it, this game is the definition of must win to keep any lingering playoff hopes alive. If we don't win tonight, i expect that percentage to drop near zero. Someone else will have to be ousted in the first round by the Bolts instead of us. 

Montreal is one of my all time hate teams, you know in terms of sports hate,  and there is a lot to hate. The stupid Ole' ole' ole' chant,  Brendan ****** Gallagher - those white sweaters are pretty sweet though, Brendan ****** Gallagher,  the fact that half of our cast offs skatefor them and will no doubt find success...Jordan Weal, Christian Folin, and Dale Weisse.... their city is beautiful...screw them.

I hope we skate them out of our barn.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Montreal is one of my all time hate teams, you know in terms of sports hate,  and there is a lot to hate. The stupid Ole' ole' ole' chant,  Brendan ****** Gallagher - those white sweaters are pretty sweet though, Brendan ****** Gallagher,  the fact that half of our cast offs skatefor them and will no doubt find success...Jordan Weal, Christian Folin, and Dale Weisse.... their city is beautiful...screw them.

I join the club. Living in the Montréal market is a constant suffering thing to have to deal with the self-claimed best attendance in the galaxy and masturbating about their glorious history back in the time where they were only 6 team in the league with drafting only in your area... 

They just should be happy to be still fighting for a playoff spot given their team. But as far as I loathe them, I have to admit that Bergevin (for once...) did a solid job during the offseason.

Montreal is on a 2 game slide and is really in need of  a win to keep any slime chance of making the playoffs alive. The Flyers had a good game in there last game and will look to continue that at home to keep there slime chances of post season hopes alive. 

6 hours ago, Hartsheart said:

Montreal is on a 2 game slide and is really in need of  a win to keep any slime chance of making the playoffs alive. The Flyers had a good game in there last game and will look to continue that at home to keep there slime chances of post season hopes alive. 

I agree...those Habs really are rather slimy when I think about it...… 
So hopefully the Flyers can help keep them out of the playoffs to keep things clean.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

You'll be happy to know that they are just as bad there as they were here.

Weise is a healthy scratch, no points in 9 games. Weal has 4 points in 26 games since he left the Flyers (2 with Montreal) and is on the 4th line. Folin is a 3rd pairing guy there.

I wonder if they'd take MacDonald too...

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Will the Flyers ever score a power play again???

They are going for 9 straight games without one if they don't put one in the basket tonight.

Montreal 15th PK at 80.7%

Flyer PP 24th at 16.3%

Not the greatest matchup on paper but they have to find a way to get one past Price tonight.

If the Flyers don't make teams pay there is no need for other teams to fear going to the box.

Crazy to think that the Flyers have gotten outhit by the Canadians too.

Canadians 4th in the NHL in hits.

Flyers 15th wow have the Flyers gotten soft...and that is with the #1 (Hagg) and #2 (Gudas) in hitters in the NHL on the blueline.

Flyers are 6th in the NHL in blocked shots. 

Montreal 15th.

Flyers 29th in the NHL in takeaways.

But at least they are #1 in the faceoff dot. Montreal 24th.

Oh damn this isn't good news....that means Mcdud back in the damn lineup...Dear gawd we are never going to get rid of this bum...

I know this will make @flyerrod happy he can break out his Andrew Macdonald jersey for the game tonight.

I really wish they would recall Friedman for the game they still have 2 recalls left.

Just someone who can maybe actually play some defense Mcdud can't, he is just the best backwards skater on the team.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I agree...those Habs really are rather slimy when I think about it...… 
So hopefully the Flyers can help keep them out of the playoffs to keep things clean.  :ph34r:

Haha LMAO, I didn't even realize the typo but it certainly fits. 🤣

My biggest worry with the O and B is mental and emotional.  Some of the NBC announcers made that about the end of the season in general during the Pitt broadcast.  The "win or out of the playoffs" mindset has to take its toll.  You won't win every game.  This drill has to wear after a while.

Projected Lines (Subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 28 Claude Giroux 
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jake Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 11 Travis Konecny
44 Phil Varone - 10 Corban Knight - 38 Ryan Hartman

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim 
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Phil Myers 
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches: 47 Andrew MacDonald (healthy), 33 Cam Talbot (healthy), 5 Sam Morin (healthy), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body).

CANADIENS

90 Tomas Tatar - 24 Phillip Danault - 11 Brendan Gallagher 
62 Artturi Lehkonen - 13 Max Domi - 65 Andrew Shaw 
92 Jonathan Drouin - 15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 40 Joel Armia
41 Paul Byron - 21 Nate Thompson - 43 Jordan Weal

53 Victor Mete - 6 Shea Weber
17 Brett Kulak - 26 Jeff Petry
8 Jordie Benn - 32 Christian Folin

31 Carey Price
[37 Antti Niemi]

Scratches: 20 Nicolas Deslauriers (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), 28 Mike Reilly (healthy), 
39 Charlie Lindgren (healthy), 54 Charles Hudon (healthy), 63 Matthew Peca (healthy).

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

My biggest worry with the O and B is mental and emotional.  Some of the NBC announcers made that about the end of the season in general during the Pitt broadcast.  The "win or out of the playoffs" mindset has to take its toll.  You won't win every game.  This drill has to wear after a while.

I think that is more the Announcers and Fans mindset and not the Coaches and Players mindset. I think they prepare exactly the same and go into the game prepared one game at a time to get the points and after the 3rd period ends they will see where they stand at that point. I don't think they come into the game with a mindset of you lose this game your done until there backs are completely up against the wall. That is just my opinion.

Well i think tonight if they lose it will be it for them.

If they win they are one point behind Montreal.

The Canes might be on the sink soon they have a hard schedule left.

PITx2
WSHx2 
TBL
MIN
MTL
PHIx2
TOR
NJ

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i think tonight if they lose it will be it for them.

If they win they are one point behind Montreal.

The Canes might be on the sink soon they have a hard schedule left.

PITx2
WSHx2 
TBL
MIN
MTL
PHIx2
TOR
NJ

So you say there's still a chance? 😁

Who knows this could come down to the wire with the last games vs the Canes almost like 2010 the Flyers getting in on a Matt Carle's goal to force OT/shootout and then Danny B and Giroux leaving it to Boosh to close the door...

Flyers REALLY gonna have to watch that top line of Gallagher-Domi-Tatar.... despite the Habs' issues, those guys are slick, fast, and dangerous.  
Philly defensemen are gonna have their hands full with that line....good thing Hart is backstopping tonight  instead of Elliott.

Archived