Morin not getting in a game this year

RonJeremy

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Franchising a player only lasts a year though, after that you have to keep them for real.  

After you franchise him you can trade them unless the sign the tender paperwork.

And after that year they are a UFA again.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. If your birthday is on January 1st your not eligible back to juniors.

What I am not sure of those is do you have to have at least two years of CHL completed?

No, you have to be 20 by December 31 of the AHL season in question, or have completed 4 years (so it's possible you'd still be 19 at the end of the 4th year but you'd be AHL eligible).

Whether or not you've completed two years doesn't matter if you're 20.

@elmatus

Great post.

I would just add that there are also cases of players being ready for the rigours of the NHL at an earlier age. Part of it is physical readiness, but much more importantly, IMO, is mental readiness.

And those fringe cases are the ones we were discussing earlier - a handful of players, at most, in any given year. They are too good for junior level hockey, but might need a short adjustment stop at the AHL. The current rules do not allow for that, and I think it could be put in place without harming the junior system.

Patrick *may* have been one of those guys that would have benefited more from AHL time than CHL time had he not made the squad - instead, that all-or-nothing condition may have contributed to pushing up Patrick's NHL timetable.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, ruxpin said:

Why not? I thought waiver rules remain until the day after a team's season ends. 

Speaking of waivers.

I know there has been a lot of talk about getting Sam some playing time and all but there is another kid i am intrigued by and wonder if he can help next year.

He will be subject to waivers next year so i would hate to lose him before knowing how good he could be.

In fact he could possibly make someone else like Hagg expendable if he can play. His name is Mark Friedman.

This is a good read on the guy...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/3/26/18278722/player-focus-mark-friedman-relied-on-defensively-flyers-prospects-lehigh-valley-phantoms-analysis

It would be nice to have 3 right hand shots on the blueline...or he could even make Gudas expendable.

Morin could replace Hagg and Friedman replace Gudas. Maybe.

Provorov – Sanheim
Ghost – Myers
Morin – Friedman

Edited by OccamsRazor

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of waivers.

I know there has been a lot of talk about getting Sam some playing time and all but there is another kid i am intrigued by and wonder if he can help next year.

He will be subject to waivers next year so i would hate to lose him before knowing how good he could be.

In fact he could possibly make someone else like Hagg expendable if he can play. His name is Mark Friedman.

This is a good read on the guy...

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/3/26/18278722/player-focus-mark-friedman-relied-on-defensively-flyers-prospects-lehigh-valley-phantoms-analysis

It would be nice to have 3 right hand shots on the blueline...or he could even make Gudas expendable.

Morin could replace Hagg and Friedman replace Gudas. Maybe.

Provorov – Sanheim
Ghost – Myers
Morin – Friedman

I'm okay with that. He was very good in camp. 

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm okay with that. He was very good in camp. 

How about a vet acquisition of a guy like Alec Martinez he is a left hand shot but has a lot of experience playing the right side.

Has a good contract at 4 mill for the next two years and will be 32 in July.

I have always like his game nothing flashy but makes good solid plays is a solid two way option.

Just brainstorming still nothing else going on just waiting for the end of the Flyers season to become official.

18 hours ago, brelic said:

@elmatus

Great post.

I would just add that there are also cases of players being ready for the rigours of the NHL at an earlier age. Part of it is physical readiness, but much more importantly, IMO, is mental readiness.

And those fringe cases are the ones we were discussing earlier - a handful of players, at most, in any given year. They are too good for junior level hockey, but might need a short adjustment stop at the AHL. The current rules do not allow for that, and I think it could be put in place without harming the junior system.

Patrick *may* have been one of those guys that would have benefited more from AHL time than CHL time had he not made the squad - instead, that all-or-nothing condition may have contributed to pushing up Patrick's NHL timetable.

I think the list of players who can make that leap from juniors to a pro league is very small. From what we've seen of Patrick so far, I wouldn't place him in that camp. I honestly think he should have stayed in juniors longer, just like Frost. 

We've talked about this before, but I think with Patrick we fall into the trap of looking at him through the lens of a top two pick. The reality is, he does not stack well when compared to other top two picks. Based on what we've seen from him at the NHL level, he seems much more akin to a 5-10 pick, and those guys rarely benefit from a juniors to AHL leap, let alone a juniors to NHL one.

In his case, it's even worse than all that. He didn't even get that last year of juniors. We don't even know if he would have been our pick had he played that year. Looking back, his story reads like exactly the kind of guy who should spend more time in juniors rather than make the leap to a pro league, possibly even more so than others his own draft year.

• Like 1

Per the Flyers, Morin will make his debut tonight.  Very much looking forward to seeing what he can do, though I know full well that we will only get to see a small sample size.  Still, it has been a very long road and I hope he is worth the wait!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

The reality is, he does not stack well when compared to other top two picks.

Some this may be true to but he did produce very close to some too.

Let's look at two.

Patrick 

2017-18  gp 73 13 gls 17 ast 30 pts +1

2018-19 gp 68 13 gls 17 ast 30 pts -5

Barkov

2013-14 gp 54 8 gls 16 asts 24 pts -3

2014-15 gp 71 16 gls 20 asts 36 pts -4

So as we see he was very close to Barkov. So Barkov really busted out his 3rd season.

So maybe the 3rd season Patrick can have a similar breakout.

Now i only quickly look at one that come to mind.

What will be key with Patrick will be finding a spot and sticking him there with some line mates he can build some chemistry with.

Gordon to me just like Hak tinkered to damn much with his lines....even during games i don't know how anyone on the team could feel comfortable with anyone.

5 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Morin plays tonight. I hope we see the full big and nasty. Its been a long time since a Flyer played like a Flyer.

I admit I will watch the game now just to see how he looks.

Been a long time coming. He should help set a tone I hope they need some more grit back there I am not looking for him to be an enforcer I just want it to be harder to play around Hart give him some space.

He does that it will be a good sign.

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

every time you think you're out, they find a way to drag you back in :bigteeth:

I know right....instead of getting the season over tonight they will probably win now 5-3 and prolong it.

• Like 1

do we change the title of this thread now ?

I mean there are only 6 games left in the season or whatever but, he played and was... ? 

I saw one shift. He didn't ruin everything, so that is a good start?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

do we change the title of this thread now ?

I mean there are only 6 games left in the season or whatever but, he played and was... ? 

I saw one shift. He didn't ruin everything, so that is a good start?

He was on for a goal against and on for a goal for I believe.  

He only played 8 minutes and was the 7th man splitting time predominantly with Myers it seemed (which makes sense).

My only issue with playing him last night as the 7th man (which is a smart safe was to do it) is that Coots had to play 25 + and G 24+ minutes each to help cover for the forward spot that was lost.  

This is an issue for me because being eliminated or not, the last thing you need is Coot and or G getting hurt right now.  The fact that they had to play 25 minutes and Knight and newly resigned Raffl didn't break 10 minutes is disturbing.  

They weren't being double shifted because the playoffs were on the line, they were being double shifted so Morin could get a game in and because the 4th line can't be trusted much at all.  

Now I know it was an OT game, so that unbalances things a little bit, so I'm not gonna complain too much, but I just don't want Gordon to start writing checks that are gonna be cashed in the form of off season surgeries and delayed camps for our leaders next year.  

Play hard, play to win, play to set up next year.  

On the bright side, Mac hasn't played the last 4 games, so it looks as though the future is now and playing Morin now will give Fletcher some idea of how badly he needs to bring in a vet on D... which has an impact on whether he trades an existing D man.  

Hagg and Ghost had awful nights.

Trading Ghost will get the best return,  but Hagg is the bigger liability right now.

If Toronto wants to send Marner for Ghost, yahoo.  If they want to send Kappanen or someone for Ghost?  mmmmmmmmmm?  I'm having trouble with that one even though it might make sense. 

• Like 1

One thing is for sure he didn't play but 8 minutes but he was solid defensively displayed very nice mobility and outplayed Ghost who struggled and was on the ice for 2 goals against and was directly responsible for passing the puck right to the Leafs who immediately scored.

And now with Morin ready to play i am genuinely worried about Ghost and can he rebound from this terrible year.

If he doesn't get better next year with a new coaching staff i can see hi being sent somewhere else by next years trade deadline.

And that is IF he survives this offseason. I am not ready to give up and him but i can say the front office isn't.

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He was on for a goal against

And he played well in that instance.

He was positionally sound.

In fact he is the one who stepped fro behind the net when Ennis came behind the net and ass he jumped out and blocked out the sun for Ennis he panicked it look and went back the other way and decided he would rather deal with Ghost than get squished by the giant.

Then Ennis shook Knight who was terrible in pursuit (but when you remember he is just AHL fodder he played like he is capable of) Ennis passed the puck out front and it caught Ghost and Hartman sleeping on the Leaf froward who crept down to score.

See for yourself.

Sam was playing the left side so wasn't a lot he could have done on the play besides what he did. Ghost well....was Ghost.

Uh Ghost you're on the Flyers....the guys in orange and black..ugh face palm...

I tell you who else was terrible in this game was Oskar Lindblom...he was sloppy with the puck turned it over several times luckily they didn't score on his turnovers.

And this is proof they don't track turnovers very well. As @FD19372 and i discussed a lot in the shoutbox last night he had several and was only credited with one on the stat sheet and no way in hell that could be right. I remember 3 in the 1st period alone.

Worse game hands down i have seen for Oskar. He will be slotted on the 4th line next year once the Flyers are done with their offseason acquisitions i think.

But back to Morin i was very impressed with his mobility i saw no signs of rust and issues moving in fact if i am Ghost or Hagg i would be worried about my job next year.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And he played well in that instance.

He was positionally sound.

In fact he is the one who stepped fro behind the net when Ennis came behind the net and ass he jumped out and blocked out the sun for Ennis he panicked it look and went back the other way and decided he would rather deal with Ghost than get squished by the giant.

Then Ennis shook Knight who was terrible in pursuit (but when you remember he is just AHL fodder he played like he is capable of) Ennis passed the puck out front and it caught Ghost and Hartman sleeping on the Leaf froward who crept down to score.

See for yourself.

Sam was playing the left side so wasn't a lot he could have done on the play besides what he did. Ghost well....was Ghost.

Uh Ghost you're on the Flyers....the guys in orange and black..ugh face palm...

I tell you who else was terrible in this game was Oskar Lindblom...he was sloppy with the puck turned it over several times luckily they didn't score on his turnovers.

And this is proof they don't track turnovers very well. As @FD19372 and i discussed a lot in the shoutbox last night he had several and was only credited with one on the stat sheet and no way in hell that could be right. I remember 3 in the 1st period alone.

Worse game hands down i have seen for Oskar. He will be slotted on the 4th line next year once the Flyers are done with their offseason acquisitions i think.

But back to Morin i was very impressed with his mobility i saw no signs of rust and issues moving in fact if i am Ghost or Hagg i would be worried about my job next year.

I didn't mean to imply that Morin had a bad game.  

And on the first goal, I don't even blame Ghost so much as Hartman who was just out to lunch on the pinch.  At the moment of the Pass Ghost is realizing he has to cover two guys at once somehow.

Morin makes Ghost look like a tiny child.  

If Oskar drops to the 4th line, they'll have to trade Raffl (who they just resigned) or Hartman.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If Oskar drops to the 4th line, they'll have to trade Raffl (who they just resigned) or Hartman.  

No Raffl will be the 13th forward. Nothing wrong with that his 1.6 mill salary is just fine for that role.

I would be ok with a 4th of Lindblom - Laughton - Hartman 

That is if the Flyers acquire another RW and a possible 3rd line center. No need to try and figure it all out right now a lot can change by the start of next season. But i want Panarin so it would push Lindblom down.

Giroux, Panarin, JVR and Lindblom would make a solid LW.