Game 75: Islanders at Flyers; 3/23/19 @ 1

Howie58

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is. 

I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and not just dump and chase and cycle. 

I also hope that whoever is brought in, that they are brutally honest in their assessments of all players. More important, I hope that whoever the new coach is, he holds EVERYONE to same standards and accountability. No more of the 'veterans get an easier time because they're veterans' mantra that plagues this club. No more of the 'we'll play young players, but only if they earn it and even then, we'll never play a younger player above a veteran because that's how we do things' garbage. Let the horses run and go from there.

The other thing I want to see is players fit the roles they're assigned. For far too long, this franchise has plugged squares into round holes expecting miracles. Find out every player's strength and weakness and base their role on the club around that. Some might be asked to do more, some might be asked to do less and that's a good thing.

Get the mess fixed. It's clear we have goaltending now. We have some good defensemen that just need experience and veteran hand to help out when things get tough. We have some really good forwards and some that are on the verge of breaking out in a good way. Let's find someone who can help maximize that.

This, as they say, times 1000.

Terrific post.  I really can't add to or argue with any of it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is. 

I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and not just dump and chase and cycle. 

I also hope that whoever is brought in, that they are brutally honest in their assessments of all players. More important, I hope that whoever the new coach is, he holds EVERYONE to same standards and accountability. No more of the 'veterans get an easier time because they're veterans' mantra that plagues this club. No more of the 'we'll play young players, but only if they earn it and even then, we'll never play a younger player above a veteran because that's how we do things' garbage. Let the horses run and go from there.

The other thing I want to see is players fit the roles they're assigned. For far too long, this franchise has plugged squares into round holes expecting miracles. Find out every player's strength and weakness and base their role on the club around that. Some might be asked to do more, some might be asked to do less and that's a good thing.

Get the mess fixed. It's clear we have goaltending now. We have some good defensemen that just need experience and veteran hand to help out when things get tough. We have some really good forwards and some that are on the verge of breaking out in a good way. Let's find someone who can help maximize that.

Absolutely the truth here!  This should be e-mailed to he Flyers FO in as big as font as possible.  

Well done sir! Well done!

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

This should be e-mailed to he Flyers FO in as big as font as possible.

You either have one too many or one too few Ss. 

Myself, I'd like it with one more S.   :blowingakiss:

22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

this was such a well articulated post, I hope an someone somewhere with a "bias for action " sees it/feels it also.

There are guys on this team with good handles who don't, you know, handle the puck on the entry, wtf? 

isn't possessing the puck step one to creating "anything" ? 

i digress, good post. 

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this was such a well articulated post, I hope an someone somewhere with a "bias for action " sees it/feels it also.

There are guys on this team with good handles who don't, you know, handle the puck on the entry, wtf? 

isn't possessing the puck step one to creating "anything" ? 

i digress, good post. 

This is still a dump and chase team, moving slowly east-west. 

And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmless to the opponent, and will usually result in a turnover or a weak shot toward the net. 

That, in a nutshell, is their offensive strategy. With. Every. Rush.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmless to the opponent, and will usually result in a turnover or a weak shot toward the net. 

This is true. 

The one exception MIGHT be Jake, though it ultimately is similar to the "peel to the half boards" you describe. 

His is, skate in and attempt to stickhandle through 3 players. If they don't straight up strip him, pass blindly to no one and dog it on the backcheck when it predictably goes the other way. 

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Right on sounds like you have watched a game or two of these guys

I just have to add:

Instead of getting a simple wrister on net with a clear lane,would rather  choose to wind up and take a huge slapper, only with the lengthy time to do so giving a defender time to jump in and clog what was a clear lane for the block..

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

This is true. 

The one exception MIGHT be Jake, though it ultimately is similar to the "peel to the half boards" you describe. 

His is, skate in and attempt to stickhandle through 3 players. If they don't straight up strip him, pass blindly to no one and dog it on the backcheck when it predictably goes the other way. 

Yup. And I get that most teams use a mixture of the three things I described... the difference seems to be cohesion and playing to players' and the team's strengths. 

Our offense does not look cohesive at all - the overpassing is a clear representation of that. 

So, not sure if that's coaching or experience level or a poor mixture of player types, or... ?

Since Patrick has been moved up with G, he's got points in 3 of the last 12 games. He's disappeared again at a critical time for the team - and *this* is why I don't think going into next year with him penciled in as the 2C is a smart idea. Similarly with Frost as 3C. It's not a smart strategy.

It *might* work out very well if all the stars align, but the more likely scenario is an incremental step forward. That's fine if the Flyers are ok with missing the playoffs again, but not ok if they decide it's time to make some changes to be more competitive.

I'd prefer Patrick at 3C, Frost in the AHL until he can prove otherwise, and bringing in a proven 2C. I'm kinda done with "waiting" and "hoping" rookies come in and steal a job. I would feel much more comfortable with a rookie Frost at 3C, growing pains and all, if our top 2 centers were reliable, experienced, and proven. We only have Couturier that fits the bill unless you move G back in the middle.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Instead of getting a simple wrister on net with a clear lane,would rather  choose to wind up and take a huge slapper, only with the lengthy time to do so giving a defender time to jump in and clog what was a clear lane for the block..

And who on this team has a deadly wrist shot?  TK? Lindblom?  Frost and Farabee seem to fit that bill. Frost particularly has been described as having a deadly but quick wrister.

You are right it appears that everyone on this team wants to line up to take that booming slap shot. 

20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

And who on this team has a deadly wrist shot?  TK? Lindblom?  Frost and Farabee seem to fit that bill. Frost particularly has been described as having a deadly but quick wrister.

You are right it appears that everyone on this team wants to line up to take that booming slap shot. 

Ghost, Sanheim and even Myers have a nice wrister.

The thing they struggle with more it seems is the accuracy part of it and that just comes I think with more practice with it and then sometimes letting it go and see what happens goalies always struggle to glove a wrister than a slapper with or with out traffic because it comes down to a timing thing they can usually hear the slapper and then it's a bam bam play and it's on them.

The wrister is harder because of the varying velocity that could be on it is hard to gauge.

And if you get some traffic even harder then you have rebounds and deflection to worry about.

What we don't know are they being discouraged to NOT use it I can't say.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, mojo1917 said:

Our seats were 2 rows off the glass behind the Flyers goal.

Ah, ****.  Was there with my son.  Would have tried to meet up had I checked the board.

I saw so many passes to no one, overskated pucks, pucks bouncing over sticks...those guys played tight and the Islanders were disciplined. 

The second period was god-awful, they couldn't get anything going. 

Even after the 5-3 kill there was a little roar from the crowd but that was it. The Flyers were flat and had zero luck.

In general, the team looked sluggish and braindead from the beginning.  I don't think it was all attributable to the early penalties.  The Islanders came ready to play and the Flyers did not.  None of the lines could do anything against any of the Islanders' lines.  Felt the Isles fourth line dominated any line it played against.  By the way, I thought JVR was the best Flyers player.  By a long stretch.  EVen though he's been playing well of late, that says something.

I also think the fans could make that building way more intimidating than it is, I don' know if the passionate guys are priced out, I know I find it difficult to want to spend 400 for those seats and that day, I left that building hoarse though.

Yeah, it was dead quiet throughout the game.  Saturday matinee, boring/poor game, out of the playoffs.  Recipe for a quiet building.  Loudest the arena got, outside of the goal, was booing them at the end of the second period.  Which was well deserved.

It would be great if the Philly crowd could get to that place where teams don't want to come into our building again. 

Team needs to get better first.  A little hard to be tough on opposing fans when their teams are better than ours.  

Archived