Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Kraken Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Howie58

Game 75: Islanders at Flyers; 3/23/19 @ 1

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is. 

 

I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and not just dump and chase and cycle. 

 

I also hope that whoever is brought in, that they are brutally honest in their assessments of all players. More important, I hope that whoever the new coach is, he holds EVERYONE to same standards and accountability. No more of the 'veterans get an easier time because they're veterans' mantra that plagues this club. No more of the 'we'll play young players, but only if they earn it and even then, we'll never play a younger player above a veteran because that's how we do things' garbage. Let the horses run and go from there.

 

The other thing I want to see is players fit the roles they're assigned. For far too long, this franchise has plugged squares into round holes expecting miracles. Find out every player's strength and weakness and base their role on the club around that. Some might be asked to do more, some might be asked to do less and that's a good thing.

 

Get the mess fixed. It's clear we have goaltending now. We have some good defensemen that just need experience and veteran hand to help out when things get tough. We have some really good forwards and some that are on the verge of breaking out in a good way. Let's find someone who can help maximize that.

 

This, as they say, times 1000.

 

Terrific post.  I really can't add to or argue with any of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is. 

 

I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and not just dump and chase and cycle. 

 

I also hope that whoever is brought in, that they are brutally honest in their assessments of all players. More important, I hope that whoever the new coach is, he holds EVERYONE to same standards and accountability. No more of the 'veterans get an easier time because they're veterans' mantra that plagues this club. No more of the 'we'll play young players, but only if they earn it and even then, we'll never play a younger player above a veteran because that's how we do things' garbage. Let the horses run and go from there.

 

The other thing I want to see is players fit the roles they're assigned. For far too long, this franchise has plugged squares into round holes expecting miracles. Find out every player's strength and weakness and base their role on the club around that. Some might be asked to do more, some might be asked to do less and that's a good thing.

 

Get the mess fixed. It's clear we have goaltending now. We have some good defensemen that just need experience and veteran hand to help out when things get tough. We have some really good forwards and some that are on the verge of breaking out in a good way. Let's find someone who can help maximize that.

 

Absolutely the truth here!  This should be e-mailed to he Flyers FO in as big as font as possible.  

 

Well done sir! Well done!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

This should be e-mailed to he Flyers FO in as big as font as possible.

 

You either have one too many or one too few Ss. 

 

Myself, I'd like it with one more S.   :blowingakiss:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, OccamsRazor said:

 

Wow. Dude first time i have seen you in i can't remember when. How you been?

 

Donig well my friend, hope all is well in South Carolina!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sarsippius said:

 

Donig well my friend, hope all is well in South Carolina!

 

Yes it is.

 

Besides being stuck at work.

 

Hope all is well with you and yours as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is. 

 

I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and not just dump and chase and cycle. 

 

I also hope that whoever is brought in, that they are brutally honest in their assessments of all players. More important, I hope that whoever the new coach is, he holds EVERYONE to same standards and accountability. No more of the 'veterans get an easier time because they're veterans' mantra that plagues this club. No more of the 'we'll play young players, but only if they earn it and even then, we'll never play a younger player above a veteran because that's how we do things' garbage. Let the horses run and go from there.

 

The other thing I want to see is players fit the roles they're assigned. For far too long, this franchise has plugged squares into round holes expecting miracles. Find out every player's strength and weakness and base their role on the club around that. Some might be asked to do more, some might be asked to do less and that's a good thing.

 

Get the mess fixed. It's clear we have goaltending now. We have some good defensemen that just need experience and veteran hand to help out when things get tough. We have some really good forwards and some that are on the verge of breaking out in a good way. Let's find someone who can help maximize that.

this was such a well articulated post, I hope an someone somewhere with a "bias for action " sees it/feels it also.

There are guys on this team with good handles who don't, you know, handle the puck on the entry, wtf? 

isn't possessing the puck step one to creating "anything" ? 

i digress, good post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this was such a well articulated post, I hope an someone somewhere with a "bias for action " sees it/feels it also.

There are guys on this team with good handles who don't, you know, handle the puck on the entry, wtf? 

isn't possessing the puck step one to creating "anything" ? 

i digress, good post. 

 

This is still a dump and chase team, moving slowly east-west. 

 

And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmless to the opponent, and will usually result in a turnover or a weak shot toward the net. 

 

That, in a nutshell, is their offensive strategy. With. Every. Rush.

 

  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brelic said:

 

This is still a dump and chase team, moving slowly east-west. 

 

And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmless to the opponent, and will usually result in a turnover or a weak shot toward the net. 

 

That, in a nutshell, is their offensive strategy. With. Every. Rush.

 

This is true. 

 

The one exception MIGHT be Jake, though it ultimately is similar to the "peel to the half boards" you describe. 

 

His is, skate in and attempt to stickhandle through 3 players. If they don't straight up strip him, pass blindly to no one and dog it on the backcheck when it predictably goes the other way. 

  • Good Post 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, brelic said:

 

This is still a dump and chase team, moving slowly east-west. 

 

And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmless to the opponent, and will usually result in a turnover or a weak shot toward the net. 

 

That, in a nutshell, is their offensive strategy. With. Every. Rush.

 

 

Right on sounds like you have watched a game or two of these guys

 

I just have to add:

 

Instead of getting a simple wrister on net with a clear lane,would rather  choose to wind up and take a huge slapper, only with the lengthy time to do so giving a defender time to jump in and clog what was a clear lane for the block..

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

This is true. 

 

The one exception MIGHT be Jake, though it ultimately is similar to the "peel to the half boards" you describe. 

 

His is, skate in and attempt to stickhandle through 3 players. If they don't straight up strip him, pass blindly to no one and dog it on the backcheck when it predictably goes the other way. 

 

Yup. And I get that most teams use a mixture of the three things I described... the difference seems to be cohesion and playing to players' and the team's strengths. 

 

Our offense does not look cohesive at all - the overpassing is a clear representation of that. 

 

So, not sure if that's coaching or experience level or a poor mixture of player types, or... ?

 

Since Patrick has been moved up with G, he's got points in 3 of the last 12 games. He's disappeared again at a critical time for the team - and *this* is why I don't think going into next year with him penciled in as the 2C is a smart idea. Similarly with Frost as 3C. It's not a smart strategy.

 

It *might* work out very well if all the stars align, but the more likely scenario is an incremental step forward. That's fine if the Flyers are ok with missing the playoffs again, but not ok if they decide it's time to make some changes to be more competitive.

 

I'd prefer Patrick at 3C, Frost in the AHL until he can prove otherwise, and bringing in a proven 2C. I'm kinda done with "waiting" and "hoping" rookies come in and steal a job. I would feel much more comfortable with a rookie Frost at 3C, growing pains and all, if our top 2 centers were reliable, experienced, and proven. We only have Couturier that fits the bill unless you move G back in the middle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Instead of getting a simple wrister on net with a clear lane,would rather  choose to wind up and take a huge slapper, only with the lengthy time to do so giving a defender time to jump in and clog what was a clear lane for the block..

 

And who on this team has a deadly wrist shot?  TK? Lindblom?  Frost and Farabee seem to fit that bill. Frost particularly has been described as having a deadly but quick wrister.

 

You are right it appears that everyone on this team wants to line up to take that booming slap shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

 

And who on this team has a deadly wrist shot?  TK? Lindblom?  Frost and Farabee seem to fit that bill. Frost particularly has been described as having a deadly but quick wrister.

 

You are right it appears that everyone on this team wants to line up to take that booming slap shot. 

 

Ghost, Sanheim and even Myers have a nice wrister.

 

The thing they struggle with more it seems is the accuracy part of it and that just comes I think with more practice with it and then sometimes letting it go and see what happens goalies always struggle to glove a wrister than a slapper with or with out traffic because it comes down to a timing thing they can usually hear the slapper and then it's a bam bam play and it's on them.

 

The wrister is harder because of the varying velocity that could be on it is hard to gauge.

 

And if you get some traffic even harder then you have rebounds and deflection to worry about.

 

What we don't know are they being discouraged to NOT use it I can't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, mojo1917 said:

Our seats were 2 rows off the glass behind the Flyers goal.

Ah, ****.  Was there with my son.  Would have tried to meet up had I checked the board.

 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, mojo1917 said:

I saw so many passes to no one, overskated pucks, pucks bouncing over sticks...those guys played tight and the Islanders were disciplined. 

The second period was god-awful, they couldn't get anything going. 

Even after the 5-3 kill there was a little roar from the crowd but that was it. The Flyers were flat and had zero luck.

In general, the team looked sluggish and braindead from the beginning.  I don't think it was all attributable to the early penalties.  The Islanders came ready to play and the Flyers did not.  None of the lines could do anything against any of the Islanders' lines.  Felt the Isles fourth line dominated any line it played against.  By the way, I thought JVR was the best Flyers player.  By a long stretch.  EVen though he's been playing well of late, that says something.

 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, mojo1917 said:

I also think the fans could make that building way more intimidating than it is, I don' know if the passionate guys are priced out, I know I find it difficult to want to spend 400 for those seats and that day, I left that building hoarse though.

Yeah, it was dead quiet throughout the game.  Saturday matinee, boring/poor game, out of the playoffs.  Recipe for a quiet building.  Loudest the arena got, outside of the goal, was booing them at the end of the second period.  Which was well deserved.

 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, mojo1917 said:

It would be great if the Philly crowd could get to that place where teams don't want to come into our building again. 

Team needs to get better first.  A little hard to be tough on opposing fans when their teams are better than ours.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      Is it wrong for me to say that I'm happy about this loss? It's an eye opener as to just how badly coached this club is when it comes to even the basic fundamentals of the game. Referees certainly played a big part, but it just goes to show how far from contention this team really is.    I'm hopeful of a full house cleaning in both Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley once the season ends and that who ever is brought in, there's an emphasis on fundamentals, break out plays and sustaining pres
    • 3
      Post
      Can they at least be castrated so they don't make baby refs? 
    • 3
      Post
      Okay, but again just to be clear, I'm not arguing it is.   Refs or not, they were flat.  They spent entirely too much time in their own end and 5-on-5 the Isles owned them all game.  I'm not blaming the refs for the loss.     I'm blaming the refs for being entirely and pathetically inept at their job.  I mean, cut them some slack if they miss something away from the puck or if they misinterpret something away from the puck.  But all of these things (the Hagg thing, Hartman, a
    • 3
      Post
      This is still a dump and chase team, moving slowly east-west.    And when they actually *do* attack and enter the zone with purpose, they are at a loss as to what to do next. It usually involves peeling *away* from the net along the halfboards, stopping, and forcing a pass that isn't there, leading to a turnover. Or, try and skate *through* players and making pass after pass after pass, then turnover. The final option is to cycle and keep the play along the boards that is mostly harmle
    • 2
      Post
      @mojo1917   Have a great time! Hopefully they don’t wait until the 3rd period to start playing.
    • 2
      Post
      Absolutely the truth here!  This should be e-mailed to he Flyers FO in as big as font as possible.     Well done sir! Well done!

Game Room 1

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...