Chara Given Extension; Will Be Back For Season #22

982862789_BigZ.jpg.20c34fe167215fc1ff1efc78f7553402.jpg

From TSN Canada:
https://www.tsn.ca/bruins-ink-chara-to-one-year-extension-1.1278331

The Big Ol Bear in Boston will be coming back for another season, as the Bruins have given Big Z another year at $2M with some performance incentives that could add on to that base total.

Chara, who just turned 42 about a week ago, is approaching Chris Chelios territory not only in age as an active NHL defenseman, but still an EFFECTIVE one!
Oh, sure, Big Z isn't anywhere near the same man who terrorized the ice in Long Island, Ottawa, and especially Boston where he really made his name and won his Stanley Cup.

But Big Z can still play, can still skate (albeit more slowly), still has that crazy grizzly bear like reach and wingspan that helps cover whatever areas his mobility cannot, and is still, STILL, an intimidating and powerful figure out on the ice..... just ask tough guy Matt Martin who recently tangled with the old bear how strong and smothering this man still is....

Truth is, the Bruins have been transitioning to younger and younger players over the last few seasons, including on defense, but if any team can get a guy of Chara's credentials, smarts, experience, size, and intimidation to play on their 3rd pair for a mere $2M, you KNOW they'd do it.

And how does a man who is 42 still able to be on the same ice surface as guys like Stamkos, Ovechkin, Crosby, and Tavares?
Much like Chris Chelios, the old bear stays in fantastic shape, very lean, muscular, superior cardiovascular system....that's how.

And since the Bruins still play a mostly defense first type game, he will still fit in nicely while maintaining law n order not only on the ice for his team, but as commander in that locker room as well for those young guys being brought in and taking bigger roles as full fledged Bruins.

A quick snapshot of some of Chara's career to this point, courtesy of hockey reference dot com:
1908796060_charastats.thumb.jpg.66014408ada4db4dbddc9dd1be69d0d7.jpg

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

To be honest, I think it's time to retire. Let the younger players play. 

I'm no fan of the Bruins...not even close....and I wouldn't mind seeing that team fall on its face year after year, but I DO have to admit they have a pretty good system for not only playing but for working players into their lineup.

I think Boston IS letting the younger players play. Chara is no longer the focus of their defense on the ice. He basically plays around 21 minutes per game (which is WAY down from his career average of about 24-25 min per), and seems to be the perfect partner for young Charlie McAvoy whom the Bruins are really, really high on and expect to be their undisputed number one defenseman real soon.

Chara himself, IMO, has done a good job transitioning himself from a 'do-everything' number one defenseman, to a more defensive minded, tough checking one, and playing the 'stay at home' role much more while his defense partner does more of the offensive wandering.

As much as I'd like Chara to be in Boston's way and be a detriment to them, he really isn't even now.
I am pretty sure if he were blocking some outstanding young defenseman, the Bruins would not have extended him for yet another year.

The team has played pretty well even without him in the lineup this season, after all, and the team DOES play with a bit more speed and tempo than they have in recent years, so I think Chara has to follow the team template, not the other way around..... and as long as Chara can still pull his own weight and not be a liability on the ice, the Bruins would love to have him back there.

Obviously, since his extension is for just one year, the team is well aware that either he may no longer be NHL viable after that, or Chara himself may decide he has had enough, so both team and player can just take things one year at a time moving forward.

Hey, at least Big Z has aged much better than your typical large defenseman would normally.
By 42 years old, most guys near his size aren't even playing in the league anymore due to them usually being a broken down pylon by their late 30's.

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm no fan of the Bruins...not even close....and I wouldn't mind seeing that team fall on its face year after year, but I DO have to admit they have a pretty good system for not only playing but for working players into their lineup.

I think Boston IS letting the younger players play. Chara is no longer the focus of their defense on the ice. He basically plays around 21 minutes per game (which is WAY down from his career average of about 24-25 min per), and seems to be the perfect partner for young Charlie McAvoy whom the Bruins are really, really high on and expect to be their undisputed number one defenseman real soon.

Chara himself, IMO, has done a good job transitioning himself from a 'do-everything' number one defenseman, to a more defensive minded, tough checking one, and playing the 'stay at home' role much more while his defense partner does more of the offensive wandering.

As much as I'd like Chara to be in Boston's way and be a detriment to them, he really isn't even now.
I am pretty sure if he were blocking some outstanding young defenseman, the Bruins would not have extended him for yet another year.

The team has played pretty well even without him in the lineup this season, after all, and the team DOES play with a bit more speed and tempo than they have in recent years, so I think Chara has to follow the team template, not the other way around..... and as long as Chara can still pull his own weight and not be a liability on the ice, the Bruins would love to have him back there.

Obviously, since his extension is for just one year, the team is well aware that either he may no longer be NHL viable after that, or Chara himself may decide he has had enough, so both team and player can just take things one year at a time moving forward.

Hey, at least Big Z has aged much better than your typical large defenseman would normally.
By 42 years old, most guys near his size aren't even playing in the league anymore due to them usually being a broken down pylon by their late 30's.

I was hoping to see him as a coach. I see your point. Maybe who takes his spot in the lineup needs a year or so in the minors?

Archived