Minnesota Wild @ Carolina Hurricanes, Saturday 3-23-19, 6:00pm, PNC Arena

MNSOTA

On 3/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, lynxrattle said:

Bitetto Pateryn +/- -3. Zucker turning pucks over. There's a lot of dead weight on the team. When Fletcher protected Dumba during VGK expansion I thought that at least we have a deep defence. It turns out that at the end of this season we seem to have only Spurgeon left as a good d-man. Others basically fill the gaps. And the thing with even Spurgeon is that his size makes him a risky player to keep in the long run. He might have problems compensating for his size once age starts to slow him down. I sure hope there's some great defensemen growing up in Iowa. If not, we'll be the Chiarelli era Edmonton Oilers in no time.

(shrugs)  I think Brodin hasn't been too bad.  Hunt has been ok too.  But Pateryn, Bitetto, Seeler and even Suter have been kind of suspect IMO.  They get walked quite a bit and make some terrible decisions with the puck.  That one sequence where Bitetto makes a little move to give himself a little space and then inexplicably stops skating and then is somehow surprised he had a player right on him?  Duh, you just made a move past the guy...did you think he was just going to skate to the bench?  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, TonyOday said:

Season is not over, nobody is taking hold of the WC spots. 

So sure about that?  Colorado managed to steal another point out of Chicago.  Chicago is playing better and looking determined.  And then there is that whole future schedule for the Wild.  Nashville, Vegas, Arizona, Winnipeg, Boston, Dallas.  Sorry...doesn't look too favorable to me.  

I'd actually feel better if all of these games were on the road...but we have a few home games and we've seen how this team plays lazy and slow at home this season.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  I think Brodin hasn't been too bad.  Hunt has been ok too.  But Pateryn, Bitetto, Seeler and even Suter have been kind of suspect IMO.  They get walked quite a bit and make some terrible decisions with the puck.  

Agreed. I think Brodin has been quietly solid all year. He's also probably the best skater on the team. For me that's something to watch.

He and Spurgeon are the only 2 D's that I have any confidence in right now. Yeah, Hunt also and who knows how Dumba would have done if healthy at this point.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, IllaZilla said:

I followed those guys in high school all the way up through college. Then I got into Soundgarden, Nirvana and the rest of the grunge scene. I read most of the book too and I'm amazed those guys are all still alive...

Don't forget Ozzy. No human alive should have been ever able to live through what he has done. It makes Nikki Sixx look tame and that is one hell of accomplishment!

I can't believe it's fatigue at this point. No way all these players all of a sudden are fatigued all at once. I think it's more of the mentality of this team is so fragile that one bad thing shatters it and they give up. I think all of them now realize the team is not as good as the media and everybody thought. I think a bunch of them thought everything would fall in place for them without them needing to try. Now with the lack of talent and depth that even when they try it doesn't go their way. I hate to say it but I think the team was overachieving for quite some time and now they are being exposed.

Also, Dubnyk now has played more games then any other Goalie. He also had some very awful goals. Good to drive him into the ground so even if you do make the playoffs he has gone to that point that it's going to tire him even if he says it doesn't.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:28 AM, Hockey-78 said:

According to those same stats this is his 3rd season.

Actually, this is his 2nd season. Last year Donato played only 12 games in NHL and he is still considered as a rookie player.

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

According to the hockey elite prospects link, his stats are very solid through his whole career in any teams he played. I think we made a nice steal for Coyle:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/195235/ryan-donato

57 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Actually, this is his 2nd season. Last year Donato played only 12 games in NHL and he is still considered as a rookie player.

Rookie Qualifications. To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

According to the hockey elite prospects link, his stats are very solid through his whole career in any teams he played. I think we made a nice steal for Coyle:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/195235/ryan-donato

Yes sorry, my bad! Have to do something to my sleep deficit...

On a side note anybody else enjoying the fun the Canes and their fans are having with the celebrations after? I like it. It shows the players having fun and getting the fans amp'ed up. I know the Don Cherry's of the world hate it but in the mean time are busy wearing suits that scream look at me.

4 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

On a side note anybody else enjoying the fun the Canes and their fans are having with the celebrations after? I like it. It shows the players having fun and getting the fans amp'ed up. I know the Don Cherry's of the world hate it but in the mean time are busy wearing suits that scream look at me.

Not only are the celebrations lame but that is a prime example of poor sportsmanship to celebrate like that during or after a game. This isn't the NFL.

8 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

I thought the Evander Holyfield match was hilarious. But if every team starts doing this after every game it will get stale pretty quickly.

15 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

Not only are the celebrations lame but that is a prime example of poor sportsmanship to celebrate like that during or after a game. This isn't the NFL.

Yes I would say if it happened during the game but it's after. The players have fun and the fans stay to have fun. Where's the poor sportsmanship? They aren't taunting anybody or cutting down another team. Will it get old? More then likely. But is what they are doing and how they are doing it poor sportsmanship? No. You want poor sportsmanship look no further then Tom Wilson. That guy shouldn't be allowed on the ice.

11 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I thought the Evander Holyfield match was hilarious. But if every team starts doing this after every game it will get stale pretty quickly.

I am sure it will get old but it's been fun to watch at this point. I think I like this because you are seeing the players all having fun and all the fans staying after the game to have fun. Something we basically haven't had all season.

I'm all for fun, especially for the Wild. I believe a big reason the Hurricanes are doing nicely now has to do with the fun they seem to have. They are doing their thing, their way and have a certain swagger about it. The Wild should find the fun as well, but their way. That's one reason we need youngsters to the team. They still have the play, the game, the passion, the kid skating on a pond imagining he's Sidney Crosby in them.

16 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

Yes I would say if it happened during the game but it's after. The players have fun and the fans stay to have fun. Where's the poor sportsmanship? They aren't taunting anybody or cutting down another team. Will it get old? More then likely. But is what they are doing and how they are doing it poor sportsmanship? No. You want poor sportsmanship look no further then Tom Wilson. That guy shouldn't be allowed on the ice.

I am sure it will get old but it's been fun to watch at this point. I think I like this because you are seeing the players all having fun and all the fans staying after the game to have fun. Something we basically haven't had all season.

They are grown men, should have some class, and they should act like they have scored a goal or won a game before. The movie Baseketball is becoming more accurate. It is a slippery slope and people with similar mindsets will allow the ushering in of this lame celebration garbage by saying it is fun.

Like it or not, in terms of marketing it's a big win for the Hurricanes and it puts a small franchise and market on the map.

If the people like it, they get interest with that team and speak of it >>> win.
If the people despise it, they talk about it, they mentioned it and come again just to see how stupid it is >>> win.

Personally, I find it cool. The players interact with fans, better this than everybody leaving after the game all of a sudden and good-bye, we shut the lights off in 5 minutes. Believe it or not, it's a team building thing and if the Canes' make the playoffs, this will be one of the reason.

Last season Vegas had their big flashy Pre game show. (still do ? ) and now Carolina has their post game fun. Great.

I doubt it'll spread to other teams especially the 'original  6' and areas with knowledgeable Hockey fans. 

Any team that tries similar will just be copycats anyhow and it won't have the same cuteness.

Except I wonder how many fans have said "We need to do something like this too" not caring that it's been done.

Imo, If you're going to do something for the crowd it'll have to be unique.

Do we want the NHL to look like WWE ? 

6 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

They are grown men, should have some class, and they should act like they have scored a goal or won a game before. The movie Baseketball is becoming more accurate. It is a slippery slope and people with similar mindsets will allow the ushering in of this lame celebration garbage by saying it is fun.

Stick say hi to mud.

Big difference from classless to just having fun. The Canes are having fun. The celebrations only happen after the game. Has no impact at all on it. They are not taunting opponents. And guess what, it's bringing the fans closer to the team and letting them have fun. If you want classless then you need not go no further then Parise and Suter with the Adam Oates ordeal. Complete classless to both the coaches and their teammates. You can complain on that one.

35 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Like it or not, in terms of marketing it's a big win for the Hurricanes and it puts a small franchise and market on the map.

If the people like it, they get interest with that team and speak of it >>> win.
If the people despise it, they talk about it, they mentioned it and come again just to see how stupid it is >>> win.

Personally, I find it cool. The players interact with fans, better this than everybody leaving after the game all of a sudden and good-bye, we shut the lights off in 5 minutes. Believe it or not, it's a team building thing and if the Canes' make the playoffs, this will be one of the reason.

This^^

If you are looking for classless look no further than Nashville with their taunting of opposing players follwed by you suck. 

It one thing to taunt, it’s another to be classless about it. 

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Last season Vegas had their big flashy Pre game show. (still do ? ) and now Carolina has their post game fun. Great.

I doubt it'll spread to other teams especially the 'original  6' and areas with knowledgeable Hockey fans. 

Any team that tries similar will just be copycats anyhow and it won't have the same cuteness.

Except I wonder how many fans have said "We need to do something like this too" not caring that it's been done.

Imo, If you're going to do something for the crowd it'll have to be unique.

Do we want the NHL to look like WWE ? 

It already does because of the continued allowance of fighting, the loser point, 3-on-3 OT, and the shootout...

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It already does because of the continued allowance of fighting, the loser point, 3-on-3 OT, and the shootout...

Fighting... I literally in the middle on it but agree on the other things. To me the biggest is allowing thugs like Tom Wilson to continue to play. His dirty play should literally hurt the his team. Dirty plays like he does should be a automatic 10 game suspension and they lose a roster spot on the line ups. So if he is suspended they do not get to call up somebody else to fill in for his spot. They have to skate a player short. This will punish teams more but instead it's a slap on the wrist and the teams can grab somebody else to fill in well another teams player could be hurt and missing time. That is WWE bullchit!!!

21 hours ago, EJ0226 said:

Stick say hi to mud. Canes are having fun. The celebrations only happen after the game.

Dingle say hi to berry. According to your logic the "celebrations only happen after the game" by replacing a hand shake and a good game. Do the Canes still have these celebrations after the game if they lose? This is a lame gimmick that would never pass in a respectable hockey market. I lived in NC in 2008, went to several games at rock bottom prices, and they still always had an empty arena. I'm glad to see that they finally have more fans showing up at their games. But let's be honest the fans wouldn't be showing up if the Canes weren't winning games...it isn't the celebrations bringing them closer.

31 minutes ago, Starofthenorth said:

Dingle say hi to berry. According to your logic the "celebrations only happen after the game" by replacing a hand shake and a good game. Do the Canes still have these celebrations after the game if they lose? This is a lame gimmick that would never pass in a respectable hockey market. I lived in NC in 2008, went to several games at rock bottom prices, and they still always had an empty arena. I'm glad to see that they finally have more fans showing up at their games. But let's be honest the fans wouldn't be showing up if the Canes weren't winning games...it isn't the celebrations bringing them closer.

I think you are confusing respectable with conservative. You might not like it but Carolina is a respectable hockey market they are just not being conservative. Fans there are enjoying and getting behind it. The players are feeding off of it. And of course winning helps fill the seats and get more excitement. You are going to start to see the Wild lose attendance soon. Does that make them a bad hockey market? The Islanders, Devils and Jets are all in the bottom 7 for attendance. Does that make them less respectable hockey markets? You can't be a purist either otherwise you wouldn't watch the game. Hockey has radically changed so much in just 20 years much less 30 years ago. It's not the same. It's fine to want some of the old ways back again but wanting the game to be the way it was so many years ago has gone the way of the dinosaur. In the end, the celebrations are just a cute and fun thing they are doing right now. By the start of next season you won't see it. They are just rallying going into the playoffs is all and they found a way that is fun for their fans and players. They are not running thugs out there. They are winning with only two guys over 20 goals and half the team not even at double digit goals even though all but 2 of them have played 60+ games.

I wish we could cheer for something with this Wild team. And maybe that is why you hate the Canes celebrations a little more because they are giving something to their fans to cheer about well the Wild continue to leave skid marks on the ice. I rather have you aim that "hate" towards Leipold and how he has ran this team and allow it to get to this point.

I am OK with the Canes demo.  A bit contrived now, but they needed a unique draw, while they began to win more often.  It is a good 'darkhorse' playoff team; and improving.  I wonder how well NN will do with Aho for a full year, and if it will make Canes better over a full year?  They have certainly played well since the trade: 20 wins and 10 losses since.  NN has a .870 points per game pace over the 31 games (Dougie Hamilton has come on too).  This yields a 35G and 36A pace for NN for 71 points and +4.  Rask remains a terrible gaffe, though Donato/Coyle trade has validated itself.  But, the Wild have no identity, plan, defined nucleus, and will be fighting for its relevance for years to come.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned: the 'This Is OUR Ice' gimmick is an abject failure.  It will need to be 'mothballed' before next year, and we might need our own cheap Canes end of game demonstration to even draw any press coverage (as our performance will be challenged with the geriatric core another year older and playing too much).

"Geriatric core", I just had to laugh at the term 😃. Aptly put. Experience is needed, our geriatric patients need to pass some of their knowhow to the youngsters, but the problem is TOI. It will get very stale next season if we are being forced to watch the Grandpas hog all the ice time, the diapers probably leaking now and then when they soil their pants.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, EJ0226 said:

Fighting... I literally in the middle on it but agree on the other things. To me the biggest is allowing thugs like Tom Wilson to continue to play. His dirty play should literally hurt the his team. Dirty plays like he does should be a automatic 10 game suspension and they lose a roster spot on the line ups. So if he is suspended they do not get to call up somebody else to fill in for his spot. They have to skate a player short. This will punish teams more but instead it's a slap on the wrist and the teams can grab somebody else to fill in well another teams player could be hurt and missing time. That is WWE bullchit!!!

I've always been for stronger penalties that way eventually it becomes an actual deterrent for such actions. (And I don't mean just in the Hockey world). Nothing changes if it's just an 'Inconvenience', It has to hurt the team/person for it to have any long term results.

Once a few of these happen and the rest of the teams see the results, Then you'll probably see some change.

I would guess the owners wouldn't be for such a rule but the idea is to protect players, so who knows which way they'd think since they really get to make the rules.

Archived