Game 76: Flyers at Capitals; 3/24/19 @ 12:30

Howie58

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Is it wrong to have complete apathy toward this team?  Asking for a friend. 

Well, it's legitimately over, so it's going to be hard not to. 

If they do things like play Morin (though I'm not sure they should) or some other kids I'll tune in to get a peak, but there's really no other reason to watch at this point. 

Unless one ONLY watches Flyer hockey and they're doing it just to get the last drop of hockey in before the long offseason. 

How early is too early to start talking about mock drafts, etc? 

And do you lose enough to at least let Florida pass us.  Can we "after you" anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Is it wrong to have complete apathy toward this team?  Asking for a friend. 

I do have to say that I'm really tired of the draft being the most exciting time of the calendar.  I mean, I enjoy it and will, but I'd like some excitement in the playoffs as well.  I hear they're actually still fairly entertaining. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

How early is too early to start talking about mock drafts, etc? 

And do you lose enough to at least let Florida pass us.  Can we "after you" anyone else? 

Well I guess I will start the mock draft thread very shortly ....Not sure how deep this draft is outside of the top 5 or 6.

Ask and you shall receive ......

image.png.9810cc261154a15d394e919b962785eb.png

There a few teams that could leapfrog the Flyers. If the Yotes / Wild / Panthers win and Flyers lose, the theoretically the Flyers could go from 14th in draft to 11th.

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Well I guess I will start the mock draft thread very shortly ....Not sure how deep this draft is outside of the top 5 or 6.

Ask and you shall receive ......

image.png.9810cc261154a15d394e919b962785eb.png

There a few teams that could leapfrog the Flyers. If the Yotes / Wild / Panthers win and Flyers lose, the theoretically the Flyers could go from 14th in draft to 11th.

There are some players I'd be excited about in the range we'd be drafting (but here's to hoping for ping pong balls).   I suspect, though, that if we don't luck out on one of the first three slots that we will be trading the pick away. 

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

What about instead of Hjarlmrsson it was Brayden Mcnabb from the Knights?

I mean, sure.  (I was good with Hjalmarsson, btw).

Do you think that's doable?  I mean, he's 28 and under a really reasonable contract through 2022. He'll have just turned 31.  I don't know why Vegas would move him and for what, but yeah.

I'm guessing given your choices that you're looking for a solid, stay at home type of guy.   He's certainly that.  He hits, he blocks.  He's nothing particularly flashy.   It works for me.   I don't know whether I want him on the top pair, but he would be a very solid 2nd pair guy.  Maybe he IS top pair on the Flyers.

If we're going to spend the money and assets, though, I'd prefer a top pair guy without the "on the Flyers" qualifier.   But I'm not sure they're legitimately available.

Karlsson is nice, but I don't think he's the type you're looking for with your suggestions so far, and I agree with the type you're looking for.

I'm good with either of your suggestions.  Are you good with a really solid second pair guy and hoping one of ours grows into the top pair role?  Or are you really wanting top pair?   I like McNabb for that attempt better than Hjalmarsson, I think.

He's not exactly the "vet" criteria, but I wonder if Anaheim would be willing to trade Hampus Lindholm for cap space and pick/prospect.  I doubt it.  Just throwing names out here.

You know, he was brought up before and again isn't the "vet" but Rasmus Ristolainen will be 25 in October and probably could be had with Brandon Montour in Buffalo now.  Hell, kick the tires on Montour.   He'll be 25 in 3 weeks.

I like your suggestions as much as any, though.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm guessing given your choices that you're looking for a solid, stay at home type of guy. 

Yes. Myers, Sanheim and Ghost can bring the offense.

They need a stay at home guy who plays defense and knows how to show the kids how to do it.

Gudas can't be that guy because there are many times he doesn't know what the f**k he is doing. 

So i would move him out if you can get the stay at home guy.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Are you good with a really solid second pair guy and hoping one of ours grows into the top pair role?

I could live with it but i would like to try him on the top pair first. The reason being i think Myers can soon be that top pair to play with Ivan.

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's not exactly the "vet" criteria, but I wonder if Anaheim would be willing to trade Hampus Lindholm for cap space and pick/prospect.

He was rumored on the block most of the season. Not sure if he can handle top pair minutes though.

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Rasmus Ristolainen will be 25 in October and probably could be had with Brandon Montour in Buffalo now.

Depending on the cost.

51 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Rasmus Ristolainen will be 25 in October and probably could be had with Brandon Montour in Buffalo now

Ristolainen is a solid offensive dman who is very bad in his own end. I'm not sure that would help us much.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Ristolainen is a solid offensive dman who is very bad in his own end. I'm not sure that would help us much.

Yeah, kind of my thoughts as well.  I'm kind of attempting to delude myself with the "change of scenery" argument, but who would he learn from here? 

13 hours ago, elmatus said:

At a solid -42, he is the antithesis to life, the universe, and everything.

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, kind of my thoughts as well.  I'm kind of attempting to delude myself with the "change of scenery" argument, but who would he learn from here? 

Yeah, I'm thinking we need a mentor, not a mentee.

When Nashville gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, they'll fire Lavi. We'll hire him. 

And then we'll trade for PK Subban. 

14 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah, I'm thinking we need a mentor, not a mentee.

When Nashville gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, they'll fire Lavi. We'll hire him. 

And then we'll trade for PK Subban. 

You're really thinking we need another dman? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not convinced either. I'm not convinced adding Subban is going to make our current squad learn to play better somehow. He's a great player, and I'm not saying I wouldn't want him on the team. I'm just not sure he's the answer to our defensive issues.

I think our defensive group needs a better coaching system first. Then if they still bomb and no one becomes that guy on the back end, we may consider looking around the league for a top dman. As it stands, we have a number of current players who may end up as good or at least not so far removed from Subban.

Again, I'm not opposed to getting Subban by any stretch. I'm just not sure I agree he's really what's needed on this team right now. I'm far more worried about our core forward group honestly. They don't have the excuse of lacking experience, and they can never seem to get the job done when it counts.

I'll take Lavi though.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, ruxpin said:

If they do things like play Morin (though I'm not sure they should) or some other kids I'll tune in to get a peak, but there's really no other reason to watch at this point. 

It will be the only reason i will watch. Give NAK some playing time to he deserves it.

Put Talbot, Morin and NAK to throw them a bone for the end of the year. Return one of Varone or Knight in his place.

Nothing else to play for except to finish the season strong and healthy.

38 minutes ago, elmatus said:

You're really thinking we need another dman?

Yes but this guy of which we speak needs to already know how to play sound good defense....i don't give a f**k about how many points he has score in the last decade or what not i don't care about any friggin corsi numbers...just a sound solid guy who when the puck is in his end near HIS goalie he knows what the f**k to do....and thereby he can act as a coach on the ice to help usher along the stable of young kids they already have...of which many already know how to play offense.

If you will a stay at home guy. A Kimmo Timonen 2.0.  They need that guy. And yes that guy ISN'T Gudas...who a lot of the time he himself doesn't know WTF to do in his own end.

Go find a tutor for the kids.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

You're really thinking we need another dman? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not convinced either. I'm not convinced adding Subban is going to make our current squad learn to play better somehow. He's a great player, and I'm not saying I wouldn't want him on the team. I'm just not sure he's the answer to our defensive issues.

I think our defensive group needs a better coaching system first. Then if they still bomb and no one becomes that guy on the back end, we may consider looking around the league for a top dman. As it stands, we have a number of current players who may end up as good or at least not so far removed from Subban.

Again, I'm not opposed to getting Subban by any stretch. I'm just not sure I agree he's really what's needed on this team right now. I'm far more worried about our core forward group honestly. They don't have the excuse of lacking experience, and they can never seem to get the job done when it counts.

I'll take Lavi though.

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking a top pairing defenseman. It doesn't have to be Subban. If we can't add a top pairing guy, I'm not sure a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman really moves the needle. 

Agreed on the coaching. We've seen what it can do for the Islanders. 

And I only say that because our defense, for the most part, has looked like a hot mess this year. They're a sieve defensively, and that includes Provorov. I feel like he'd benefit from a better coach, for sure, and also a guy to look up to, not down to. That goes for the whole blueline. 

Maybe it sorts itself out, given enough time, and especially if we get a guy like Q. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

If you will a stay at home guy. A Kimmo Timonen 2.0.  They need that guy. And yes that guy ISN'T Gudas...who a lot of the time he himself doesn't know WTF to do in his own end.

21 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah, I guess I'm thinking a top pairing defenseman. It doesn't have to be Subban. If we can't add a top pairing guy, I'm not sure a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman really moves the needle. 

I think if we can somehow find a guy who combines those two things, I'd be all for it. But we're really talking about a very small pool of players. The descriptions you folks are invoking bring to mind someone like Weber or Doughty. They'd be fantastic to have, but teams generally don't move these guys until they're past their prime (Chara for instance). 

And to me a top pairing dman can't just be a defensive guy. If you're on the top pair, you have to be able to play two-way imo. Sure, you can be primarily there for defence, but you also need to be able to hit the net and control the play from the back end.

I should note I still do believe Provo can be that kind of guy. You may be right in that a mentor would do him some good though. I dunno. 

The other challenge here of course is that being a good two-way top pairing dman is one thing, but being a leader who is willing and able to mentor is a different skill set entirely. It's blatantly wrong to assume someone like Eriksson is a good mentor for instance. He might be, but he also very well might not be. Like with any other profession in life, most people are much better at doing than teaching.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

. They'd be fantastic to have, but teams generally don't move these guys until they're past their prime

I think Duncan Keith could fit this bill....however the only reason i wouldn't be happy with a trade for him is his contract.

He is on the books for way to long. Next year and then 3 more years after that.

I would be ok with it more but by the time 2021-22 rolled around with one more year to go we could be regretting it so i have to say no on those grounds.

Otherwise i like what he brings.

So i haven't seen this name mentioned anywhere and he will be a UFA so what about Jay Bouwmeester one a one year deal??

Can't say i have watch him a lot this year so not sure how much he has left in the tank.

Just asking thoughts on him since he would require a trade.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It will be the only reason i will watch. Give NAK some playing time to he deserves it.

Put Talbot, Morin and NAK to throw them a bone for the end of the year. Return one of Varone or Knight in his place.

Nothing else to play for except to finish the season strong and healthy.

Is NAK back from injury?  I hadn't heard.  

He didn't really impress me, but I'm not sure he was given a decent shot. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is NAK back from injury?  I hadn't heard.  

He didn't really impress me, but I'm not sure he was given a decent shot. 

Yes he had a two goal game the other night one then game winner.

Yeah I am not going to hold to much against him when he was up playing with Lehtera as his center and I think the other winger was Raffl or someone of that sort.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Yes he had a two goal game the other night one then game winner.

Yeah I am not going to hold to much against him when he was up playing with Lehtera as his center and I think the other winger was Raffl or someone of that sort.

Yeah, that's my thinking on his first "chance." 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, that's my thinking on his first "chance." 

I just looked back and his last two games was 

Laughton Lehtera NAK 

and the last November 17th

Weise Laughton NAK

Yeah so not the best way to set a guy up for success playing with Moon face and Hands of brick and your linemates or even El Chapo...

...he might have needed therapy when he was sent back.

Archived