2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

Ok boys and girls,

Well i guess we can see the handwriting on the wall and it looks like the Flyers will not make the dance this year.  Time to start that annual tradition known as the  2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition.

All 2019 Flyers draft discussion should go here.

Edited by pilldoc

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

image.thumb.png.45ad2110d10bfcb3315dbd41e01fa3dc.png

If the Flyers remain around where they are currentyly slated, do you:

A) Trade down

B) Take BPA

C) Take a look at  Arthur Kaliyev?

image.png.991957cdf593f9043fe62b86593f4b49.png

Lit up the OHL Hamilton championship team, with 31 goals in his rookie season. Part of the Has Duel citizenship as a Russian American, he was arguably the best player on the USA team at the Ivan Hlinka. A pure sniper and effortless skater floating on his edges, looking nonchalant as the game comes to him. Sees the developing looks and circles to soft areas looking for the puck. He can pick a corner, or be on a rebound quickly. He has decided to dismiss the knock that he isn't willing to play hard in his own end and dispel the criticisms that he should be hustling more in all phases. There is lots their to unlock. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/sharpshooting-arthur-kaliyev-is-just-getting-started-in-hamilton

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Owner of one of the deadliest shots you'll find in this draft class, the Staten Island-born Kaliyev has developed into a well-rounded scorer and is starting to use his thick frame to his advantage.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Arthur-Kaliyev

Kaliyev is fine.

I'm also looking at Suzuki and  Newhook. Turcotte's stock was sliding and I was starting to hope he'd fall to us, but it looks like he's turned things around.

Kaliyev would be a good RWer, so I'm good with that pick.  I think they trade the pick away, though, if it remains #11-#14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think the pick is traded in a package for a player who can help now....

You may right...I don't think the Flyers want to draft a player who may or may not be ready in 2-3 years at the minimum.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I think that's going to be a tough order of business. I'm not sure who that player is. I'd love to see the pick be used to acquire a guy like Brock Boeser or Kyle Connor. I'm wondering if maybe Fletcher tries to acquire the rights to Kaprizov. Maybe we end up seeing a future line of Farabee - Frost - Kaprizov as a unit. It would certainly make for interesting.

Was browsing and one mock had the Flyers taking Alex Newhook.   (link)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/320307/alex-newhook

He is the type of player the Flyers need.  Kid likes the puck on his stick, shoot first kinda kid. 

5'11" 190lbs.  A little small but you know who else is 5'11" 190lbs, likes the puck on his stick and likes to shoot?   

Spoiler

(They call him G....)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, pilldoc said:

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

image.thumb.png.45ad2110d10bfcb3315dbd41e01fa3dc.png

If the Flyers remain around where they are currentyly slated, do you:

A) Trade down

B) Take BPA

C) Take a look at  Arthur Kaliyev?

image.png.991957cdf593f9043fe62b86593f4b49.png

Lit up the OHL Hamilton championship team, with 31 goals in his rookie season. Part of the Has Duel citizenship as a Russian American, he was arguably the best player on the USA team at the Ivan Hlinka. A pure sniper and effortless skater floating on his edges, looking nonchalant as the game comes to him. Sees the developing looks and circles to soft areas looking for the puck. He can pick a corner, or be on a rebound quickly. He has decided to dismiss the knock that he isn't willing to play hard in his own end and dispel the criticisms that he should be hustling more in all phases. There is lots their to unlock. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/sharpshooting-arthur-kaliyev-is-just-getting-started-in-hamilton

Steve Kournianos - Sporting NewsJan. 31st: "Owner of one of the deadliest shots you'll find in this draft class, the Staten Island-born Kaliyev has developed into a well-rounded scorer and is starting to use his thick frame to his advantage.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Arthur-Kaliyev

Whoever wrote "effortless skater" hasn't actually watched him skate. He's not brutal, but he's far from effortless.

Doesn't mean he's not worth taking where we pick.

2 hours ago, Digityman said:

Was browsing and one mock had the Flyers taking Alex Newhook.   (link)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/320307/alex-newhook

He is the type of player the Flyers need.  Kid likes the puck on his stick, shoot first kinda kid. 

5'11" 190lbs.  A little small but you know who else is 5'11" 190lbs, likes the puck on his stick and likes to shoot?   

Reveal hidden contents

(They call him G....)

I think something like 7 of the top 10 scorers in the NHL are under 6 feet this year. 

• Like 1

How about at the draft Fletcher trades Ghost for RW who can help now.

I will look around some more to suggest a name.

Then just trade this years 1st round barring it being a top 3 pick to Carolina for Adam Fox.

He was more productive offensively in college than even Ghost can move the puck and score.

Chuck being a former Harvard grad might like this type of move.

Canes have a stacked defensive core right now and it could force Fox to return to school and then they could lose him for nothing.

Then you could eventually move Hagg maybe if the right deal comes along.

All this of course would have to be contingent on Fox signing his entry level deal.

Then it could look like this:

Provorov - Myers

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Friedman

Hagg if you keep him as the 7th

And Fox as first callup unless he makes the team he would be on the Phantoms as the top prospect.

Hey just brain storming on a slow day with no playoffs to think of.

Feel free to chime in and tell me why this can never work because who knows why be creative....

:beer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about at the draft Fletcher trades Ghost for RW who can help now.

I will look around some more to suggest a name.

Then just trade this years 1st round barring it being a top 3 pick to Carolina for Adam Fox.

He was more productive offensively in college than even Ghost can move the puck and score.

Chuck being a former Harvard grad might like this type of move.

Canes have a stacked defensive core right now and it could force Fox to return to school and then they could lose him for nothing.

Then you could eventually move Hagg maybe if the right deal comes along.

All this of course would have to be contingent on Fox signing his entry level deal.

Then it could look like this:

Provorov - Myers

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Friedman

Hagg if you keep him as the 7th

And Fox as first callup unless he makes the team he would be on the Phantoms as the top prospect.

Hey just brain storming on a slow day with no playoffs to think of.

Feel free to chime in and tell me why this can never work because who knows why be creative....

:beer:

I'd be ok with trading Ghost as long as they don't sell low on him. I'm just not too confident that wouldn't be the case. He didn't have his best year...that's for sure. Plus I don't trust Fletcher until he proves otherwise.

Fox, for our first? Maybe if he'd sign. Seems like he's going the FA route to me. 

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd be ok with trading Ghost as long as they don't sell low on him. I'm just not too confident that wouldn't be the case. He didn't have his best year...that's for sure. Plus I don't trust Fletcher until he proves otherwise.

Fox, for our first? Maybe if he'd sign. Seems like he's going the FA route to me. 

This kid has some sneaky good skill.

Plus he would need to be protected for the expansion draft.

Another young right hand shot for the defense.

I have seen some tout his offense better than Quinn Hughes.

I'd roll the dice and it might give two way defensemen Friedman a chance at the bottom pair next year.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This kid has some sneaky good skill.

Plus he would need to be protected for the expansion draft.

Another young right hand shot for the defense.

I have seen some tout his offense better than Quinn Hughes.

I'd roll the dice and it might give two way defensemen Friedman a chance at the bottom pair next year.

Ya, I remember him from the WJs...dynamic player. I just get the impression he wants to be a FA.

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, I remember him from the WJs...dynamic player. I just get the impression he wants to be a FA.

Sure he could it's why I would need some kind of assurance from him he would be willing to come to Philly first before swinging a trade.

Maybe the Flyers could sign him for money and keep the pick ?

If he's looking to go FA anyway, the Flyers have that sweet comcast money and for the first time in forever room with the salary cap.

Signing a dude like this for a couple of 4 years could turn into a nice cost-controlled asset. 

dolla dolla bills y'all!  - keep the pick

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Maybe the Flyers could sign him for money and keep the pick ?

If he's looking to go FA anyway, the Flyers have that sweet comcast money and for the first time in forever room with the salary cap.

Signing a dude like this for a couple of 4 years could turn into a nice cost-controlled asset. 

dolla dolla bills y'all!  - keep the pick

Hey I would certainly be cool with that.

However no matter where he lands it would have to be an entry level contract he can sign and then give him the best incentive you can.

I would entertain even moving a guy out for him.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:00 PM, OccamsRazor said:

The team has so many needs though. I'm not sure what they could get for a mid pick. It would have to involve a roster player to bring someone useful back I think. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

The team has so many needs though. I'm not sure what they could get for a mid pick. It would have to involve a roster player to bring someone useful back I think. 

Sure that is doable. Of course depending on who that player is.

And of course the return.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Sure that is doable. Of course depending on who that player is.

And of course the return.

I wonder where they'd start. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I do not envy Fletch at all. There just seem to be so many leaks in the ship right now. I have no idea how he's going to plug them all up.

But yeah, it might not be a bad idea to move the pick if the price is right. Mind you, I'm kind of reluctant to trade for a help now kind of guy honestly. I would prefer he trade the pick along with a roster player to try and move up in the draft maybe, though it would depend on how high and what he could snag with a move like that.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

I wonder where they'd start. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I do not envy Fletch at all. There just seem to be so many leaks in the ship right now. I have no idea how he's going to plug them all up.

But yeah, it might not be a bad idea to move the pick if the price is right. Mind you, I'm kind of reluctant to trade for a help now kind of guy honestly. I would prefer he trade the pick along with a roster player to try and move up in the draft maybe, though it would depend on how high and what he could snag with a move like that.

I don't think there are as many holes as it's perceived to be. I think because of the system that's used (or lack of), things look worse than what they really are. The top six and line four is perfectly fine. The third line needs work. So, the lines of Giroux - Couturier - Konecny, Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek and Raffl - Laughton - Hartman all work well together. There's zero need to change that. 

As for the third line, there's JVR and that's it. A right winger and a center must be found. The easiest thing is to use Frost and sign a winger, but I'd rather Frost go to Lehigh Valley where he and Farabee can work together. As for the right winger, I'd try to sign a guy like Brett Connolly to fill that spot. In terms of a center, Marcus Johansson would be a good fit for the third line. Neither guy would also cost a ton and could be easily moved once Frost and others are ready to come onboard.

Defense shouldn't be a problem to fix either. Buy out MacDonald right off the bat. He offers nothing. The Flyers are then left with Provorov, Sanheim, Meyers, and Gostisbehere as the top four. Then you've got the following defenders left: Morin, Hagg, and Gudas. Personally, I'd look at packaging Gudas, a prospect like Rubtsov and the Flyers first for Alex Pietrangelo from St. Louis. You can then move Hagg for a pick or prospects and your defense is now:

Provorov - Pietrangelo

Sanheim - Meyers

Morin - Gostisbehere

Plus, it means that Friedman gets the call up and is the number 7 guy. 

Goaltending should be a relatively easy fix too. Let Neuvirth, Elliott and Talbot all walk. Bring in Curtis McElhinney to be the back up to Hart. 

Finally, bring in Quenneville to be the coach. That should be the blueprint for Fletcher this off-season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

the lines of Giroux - Couturier - Konecny, Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek and Raffl - Laughton - Hartman all work well together

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Brett Connolly to fill that spot. In terms of a center, Marcus Johansson 

So, we'd go into next year with lines like:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Johansson - Connolly

Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

I don't know.  I really did agree with your opening line saying there aren't as many holes as people think.  That was my immediate thought to @elmatus, as well.     I don't hate the Johnasson/Connolly ideas but as a roster it looks like "what's on PBS tonight?" to me.

On the one side of my brain, I really am with you that a lot of this is solved by a competent coaching staff and structure--because I really don't think we're far off.    

The other part of me says Voracek, in particular, is begging to be traded.  I mean, his quotes the past two weeks were spot on, but it also sounded like "I volunteer as Tribute.  Pick me!  Pick me!  Oh, come on, I'm standing here waiving my arms for like an hour now!  Pick me, dammit!"

And I'm willing to oblige because I really want to move from this core.   I understand the Flyers have not had a strong coach since Oct. 7, 2013.  So, it's not all on the core, but on the other hand, by the time next season starts, it will have been 6 years that the boys have been alone on the island. Save Ralph!   

I'm thinking that if you're going to the trouble of scrubbing the coaching staffing, take a shot through the heart of the core so the remaining understand there is a new sheriff in town and they don't run the island anymore--even if all they were doing was filling a void.

The problem is, if I trade Voracek, I've created another hole.   Panarin would be nice but he is  more naturally a left winger (I'm not trading Voracek for Panarin.  The thought was trade him for my 3rd liner, prospects and/or picks and then sign Panarin--but again, left winger).   He has an NTC, but I wonder about Voracek for Atkinson.  They're the same age.  Atkinson is signed for one more year but at $3M/yr cheaper.  IF (if) Columbus does its one and done this year ("Don't worry, I don't even have a piece of ****; I have to envy yours") and people like Bob, Panarin, and Duchene move on, it might be time for them to wholesale move.  Vorachek goes back to Columbus and Atkinson comes here.  Both end up with good players but a change.  Columbus will have money.  They end up with more cap but less term.

I still want to play with the third line because that's where I agree the holes are.   Have we given up on NAK and Vorobyov?  If not, try them.  If so, let's move them and take another crack at draft picks.

I"m okay, if extremely unexcited bordering on completely disinterested.  But it makes some sense.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't hate the Johnasson/Connolly ideas but as a roster it looks like "what's on PBS tonight?" to me.

I'm with you i don't hate the additions.

What i am not happy is it just looks so much like what they have already now.

And i don't see the addition of a scorer which they sadly need. Too many passers on this clubs combined with too many brick hand shooters.

Plus this is saying they aren't getting Panarin...sorry i refuse they can't sign him right. I'm not giving up hope.

They need some guys who can skate and shoot. A Tyler Johnson type would be nice. Speed kills.

On the way to work i will comment further later.

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think there are as many holes as it's perceived to be.

I do very much hope you're right. I know this is the line I've been preaching now for 3-4 seasons. 

That said, I also wouldn't be shocked if we simply missed our window. That's not to say another one won't open, but our old guard may just not be capable of as much as we would like, and the new guard is likely some seasons away yet.

Also, Giroux is the only truly elite player we have, and he will slow down at some point. It's very hard to win a cup in this era without a guy like him, and I'm not sure any of our current crop will be that good. Honestly, we got amazingly lucky with him. Picks in his range rarely ever end up that good. Some of them will be good for sure, but I don't know about them being NHL elite good. Again, I would be more than happy to be proved wrong about this. It just seems like a very tall order to ask for right now.

So, while there may not be as many holes, some of them do seem larger to me after this season than I would have thought. I really thought they would be taking a solid step forward this year, not another step back -- which I absolutely believe they have.

I agree with you on coaching, and you're right in that a much better coaching staff with a better system might change things in a hurry. Hopefully Fletch can assemble that kind of staff in the off season.

Edited by elmatus

26 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not sure any of our current crop will be that good.

And this could be a valid point.

But we have to remember at some point Giroux was just the "22nd overall pick" too.

It took him till basically his 4th year before Giroux actually I say became Giroux.

So they have quiet a few guys who have that type of potential.

Like TK Giroux put up 47 points his 2nd season TK put up 47 points his 2nd season too.

So there is potential there and I am not saying he is in the Giroux realm.

But I think you have 3 guys with some pretty good upside in Rubtsov, Farabee and Frost to start with.

Let's see how they continue to grow.

I am not going to put a floor or a ceiling on them yet. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

Because if these guys don't pan out they are in trouble.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Because if these guys don't pan out they are in trouble.

I don't know about that. If Frost or Farabee or both become legit top six players, that will be a fantastic gain for us, and it would definitely mean they have panned out very well. I don't know that they'll ever be 100pts in a season good, but it's not like it's Giroux or bust. 

And yeah, Giroux took some time. I still think we got absurdly lucky. Guys like him are very very rare. The vast majority of players in the truly elite club of the NHL are top five picks. In fact, many are top two. There's obviously a good reason for that. Players with that high of a ceiling tend to show it long before they reach the NHL. That's why they're drafted so high in the first place. It's very hard to be an under the radar hockey superstar nowadays (in North America at least).

Now granted, I would love if someone like Frost could become the next Giroux. But I think we have to understand how unlikely that is. It's much like winning the draft lottery but twice in 15 years. That doesn't mean he can't be part of a very good core though. 

That said, Frost hasn't been a part of our current core for the last number of years. If he becomes a top six stud, it will be as part of the next wave, not so much the current one. My comments are mostly about our current core of players and how their window seems to be closing fast -- if it was ever really open at all.

The jury's still out on the next gen. I'm just getting tired of hearing "two more years" every year for close to a decade now.

Edited by elmatus