2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't know about that. If Frost or Farabee or both become legit top six players, that will be a fantastic gain for us, and it would definitely mean they have panned out very well. I don't know that they'll ever be 100pts in a season good, but it's not like it's Giroux or bust. 

And yeah, Giroux took some time. I still think we got absurdly lucky. Guys like him are very very rare. The vast majority of players in the truly elite club of the NHL are top five picks. In fact, many are top two. There's obviously a good reason for that. Players with that high of a ceiling tend to show it long before they reach the NHL. That's why they're drafted so high in the first place. It's very hard to be an under the radar hockey superstar nowadays (in North America at least).

Now granted, I would love if someone like Frost could become the next Giroux. But I think we have to understand how unlikely that is. It's much like winning the draft lottery but twice in 15 years. That doesn't mean he can't be part of a very good core though. 

That said, Frost hasn't been a part of our current core for the last number of years. If he becomes a top six stud, it will be as part of the next wave, not so much the current one. My comments are mostly about our current core of players and how their window seems to be closing fast -- if it was ever really open at all.

The jury's still out on the next gen. I'm just getting tired of hearing "two more years" every year for close to a decade now.

Sure and let's not forget Ratclifffe dude is a puck magnet guy can score goals.

He put up 50 goals in the OHL.

Now quickly tell me the last Flyer draft pick that scored 50 goals in the CHL?

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure and let's not forget Ratclifffe dude is a puck magnet guy can score goals.

He put up 50 goals in the OHL.

Now quickly tell me the last Flyer draft pick that scored 50 goals in the CHL?

Oh for sure. We have a number of promising guys without a doubt. I don't mean to sound disparaging about the future. I think we have a lot of promising pieces. I just don't know that we have a Giroux replacement, and in today's NHL, a guy like that seems to be all but necessary.

And in fact, Giroux and co. have not been all that effective either, despite all his skill.

Edited by elmatus

Here's the thing with the additions of Johansson and Connolly - Connolly is a 20 goal/40 point player and does most of his scoring at even strength, while playing roughly 14 minutes per night. Johansson is having a rough year due to injury, but for his career, he's also a 40 point scorer at just over 16 minutes a night with minimal special teams time. 

Those kinds of players are invaluable, especially if they know coming in that they aren't getting special teams time. More important, they aren't going to break the bank. On top of it, Connolly fills a need on the third line and that means Konecny doesn't get bounced to the third line. Connolly knows his role and plays it well. As for Johansson, he fills a need while waiting for Frost. Give Frost the Giroux treatment and it's not going to kill him. As for Farabee, the left side is absolutely stacked and he's not bouncing JVR, Giroux or Lindblom. So, that means the fourth line and that means wasting his talent. Let him go to the AHL and let him and Frost develop chemistry and tear it up down there. Having them play in every situation and play upwards of 20 minutes a night is the best way to bring them along.

As for Voracek, I'm guessing that there would be numerous teams interested. However, that's a lot of production to lose. In terms of Panarin, I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think he signs in Philadelphia. I think he and Bobrovsky are going to be a package deal and it won't surprise me if they both sign in Florida with the Panthers. Warm weather, strong Russian community, and there were rumblings at the trade deadline that that was where they were headed. Too much smoke there.

I really think that Fletcher tries to get a defenseman the caliber of Pietrangelo, but I won't be surprised if he ends up signing a guy like Tyler Myers.

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Here's the thing with the additions of Johansson and Connolly - Connolly is a 20 goal/40 point player and does most of his scoring at even strength, while playing roughly 14 minutes per night. Johansson is having a rough year due to injury, but for his career, he's also a 40 point scorer at just over 16 minutes a night with minimal special teams time. 

Those kinds of players are invaluable, especially if they know coming in that they aren't getting special teams time. More important, they aren't going to break the bank. On top of it, Connolly fills a need on the third line and that means Konecny doesn't get bounced to the third line. Connolly knows his role and plays it well. As for Johansson, he fills a need while waiting for Frost. Give Frost the Giroux treatment and it's not going to kill him. As for Farabee, the left side is absolutely stacked and he's not bouncing JVR, Giroux or Lindblom. So, that means the fourth line and that means wasting his talent. Let him go to the AHL and let him and Frost develop chemistry and tear it up down there. Having them play in every situation and play upwards of 20 minutes a night is the best way to bring them along.

As for Voracek, I'm guessing that there would be numerous teams interested. However, that's a lot of production to lose. In terms of Panarin, I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think he signs in Philadelphia. I think he and Bobrovsky are going to be a package deal and it won't surprise me if they both sign in Florida with the Panthers. Warm weather, strong Russian community, and there were rumblings at the trade deadline that that was where they were headed. Too much smoke there.

I really think that Fletcher tries to get a defenseman the caliber of Pietrangelo, but I won't be surprised if he ends up signing a guy like Tyler Myers.

Watch Carolina with Panarin and Bobrovsky. That team is deadly if that were to happen and that owner seems all in. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Watch Carolina with Panarin and Bobrovsky. That team is deadly if that were to happen and that owner seems all in. 

Yeah they could let Ferland walk (i really don't think that would be a smart move) and sign him, drop Niederreiter to the 2nd line.

Leave Svechnikov on the 3rd another year and by 20-21 he will be at least ready to move up to the 2nd line.

We know they are going to bring Williams back another year.

They will be a pain in the ass again next year.

They may sign Bob but h will go to the highest bidder i think between Carolina, Calgary and Florida.

I think the Avs could even kick the tires on Bob.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Giroux to R wing since we are weak on that side.

I would be ok with him on that side.

IIRC he was drafted as a RW. Right?

I don't know something in muh brain is tellin me so...oh well i'm tired been a long day at work.

But how would it be stacked?? Are you talking about signing someone??

Otherwise you would have Giroux, JVR, Lindblom and Raffl on the left.

However i know Lindblom maybe suited for the 3rd but if Farabee looks like he is ready for a look see i would be ok with Lindblom on the 4th. They will roll more even lines.

These 4th lines today aren't the same 4th lines of 1997.

Giroux, JVR, Farabee and Lindblom would be nice.

They could use a sniper in the line up it's why i give him the edge of Lindblom because of scoring ability.

That is if Joel looks ready. 

I'm saying if Farabee makes it, you can have JvR, Lindblom ,Farabee and Raffl on the left...G, Konecny Hartman and a  scoring FA on right. We can trade Voracek to acquire assets to trade for a veteran  dman, or Voracek straight up for a dman. .Im hoping Farabee becomes the next Brian Propp and gives us some flexibility and offensive punch.

I guess it all depends on whether or not we actually can sign a  FA scoring winger or not and if it's a left wing or right wing and if Farabee can really contribute. 

If we can sign an UFA scorer, it gives us more options  and as you said, rolling 4 solid lines would be nice cause guys like Farabee and Lindblom would be get some good chances going up against 3rd and 4th liners.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think there are as many holes as it's perceived to be. I think because of the system that's used (or lack of), things look worse than what they really are. The top six and line four is perfectly fine. The third line needs work. So, the lines of Giroux - Couturier - Konecny, Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek and Raffl - Laughton - Hartman all work well together. There's zero need to change that. 

As for the third line, there's JVR and that's it. A right winger and a center must be found. The easiest thing is to use Frost and sign a winger, but I'd rather Frost go to Lehigh Valley where he and Farabee can work together. As for the right winger, I'd try to sign a guy like Brett Connolly to fill that spot. In terms of a center, Marcus Johansson would be a good fit for the third line. Neither guy would also cost a ton and could be easily moved once Frost and others are ready to come onboard.

I agree with almost all of your post, except the 3C.

I honestly think we have the 3C on this team already. Patrick. If I'm Fletch, and next year the directive from above is "playoffs better happen," I don't start the season with Patrick as #1/2C. He's my 3C until he finds that next level. 

Find a true 2C in the offseason. 

Other than that, great post!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I agree with almost all of your post, except the 3C.

I honestly think we have the 3C on this team already. Patrick. If I'm Fletch, and next year the directive from above is "playoffs better happen," I don't start the season with Patrick as #1/2C. He's my 3C until he finds that next level. 

Find a true 2C in the offseason. 

Other than that, great post!

This is true. I wish it wasn't but his maddening inconsistency leaves me to agree he really doesn't deserve to be the 2nd center guys production just disappears for long stretches and it is frustrating...i still think they should have taken Miro Heiskanen then they could have already traded Hagg or Ghost or even both....could have been a better blueline.

Ivan - Heiskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Morin - Gudas 

work look so good right now.

But hey there is good news the Flyers have sucked their way to the 11th spot in the draft....keep it going. 

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is true. I wish it wasn't but his maddening inconsistency leaves me to agree he really doesn't deserve to be the 2nd center guys production just disappears for long stretches and it is frustrating...i still think they should have taken Miro Heiskanen then they could have already traded Hagg or Ghost or even both....could have been a better blueline.

Ivan - Heiskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Morin - Gudas 

work look so good right now.

But hey there is good news the Flyers have sucked their way to the 11th spot in the draft....keep it going. 

Yeah, I think Patrick will develop into a top 2 centre, but he just isn't there right now. If he has another season like this one, it could be another year of being weak down the middle. 

Best case scenario is that he has a breakout season, and then all of a sudden it turns into an area of strength.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

If he has another season like this one, it could be another year of being weak down the middle. 

Sure i guess we can hope for a breakout season but it seems he will need a miracle offseason for that to happen.

He has one goal in the last 20 games...not encouraging for a 2nd overall pick. It seems like he has ran out of gas.

He picked a terrible time to go timid. In the crucial make or break games vs. Montreal where the wheels fell off he pointless and -4.

He needs to be penciled into the 3rd line center spot and they need to go get a 2nd line center.

Might as well forget Panarin...concentrate on getting a center.

So let's change priorities and go hard after the only guy who fits that bill i think and that is Kevin Hayes he will be 27 in another month.

They need to target him unless they would rather trade for one.

I would kick the tires on Brock Nelson who is on the Isles 2nd line. But why would the Isles let him walk??

However why would the Jets let Hayes walk??? So Flyers might have to out bid teams for their 2nd line center.

Will the Isles sign both Anders Lee and Nelson??? I think yeah.

Maybe they could try to sign Ryan Dzingel instead of Hayes. So many questions.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

.i still think they should have taken Miro Heiskanen

this is 100% hindsight being 20/20.

We should have drafted PK Subban instead of Kevin Marshall too, he was available after all...

At the time Patrick was 1b of a 2 player draft with a pretty steep drop off after pick 3.

The Flyers had spent the previous year's drafts loading up on defensmen.

Get out of here with this.

Edited by mojo1917

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this is 100% hindsight being 20/20.

We should have drafted PK Subban instead of Kevin Marshall too, he was available after all...

At the time Patrick was 1b of a 2 player draft with a pretty steep drop off after pick 3.

The Flyers had spent the previous year's drafts loading up on defensmen.

Get out of here with this.

Not really...hindsight would have been Pettersson...i was and still am concern with Patrick health...i wonder if his concussions have been the main reason why he is so inconsistent...i mean fighting for the playoffs this year he has disappeared...i mean 1 goal in 20 games in my book is very disappointing....and even play with Giroux...nada.

I like Miro's game at the time dude has a wicked wrist shot and skates so so well. What could have been. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really...hindsight would have been Pettersson...i was and still am concern with Patrick health...i wonder if his concussions have been the main reason why he is so inconsistent...i mean fighting for the playoffs this year he has disappeared...i mean 1 goal in 20 games in my book is very disappointing....and even play with Giroux...nada.

I like Miro's game at the time dude has a wicked wrist shot and skates so so well. What could have been. 

I get what you're saying about Heiskanen, but I guarantee 30 out of 30 other GMs would have taken Patrick 2nd. Ok, there may have been the odd GM that would have taken Heiskanen if defense was really an overwhelming need, but most GMs will pick BPA at the top of the draft like that. 

Plus, we were stocked on the blueline.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

I get what you're saying about Heiskanen, but I guarantee 30 out of 30 other GMs would have taken Patrick 2nd. Ok, there may have been the odd GM that would have taken Heiskanen if defense was really an overwhelming need, but most GMs will pick BPA at the top of the draft like that. 

Plus, we were stocked on the blueline.

Sure I'm just stating my preference at the time.

Patrick may have a breakout year next year.

If not I will really be concerned especially if it's like this streaky year.

No matter I would have him on the 3rd line year year till he proves otherwise.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No matter I would have him on the 3rd line year year till he proves otherwise.

Exactly. There's no downside to having him as 3C, because we know he can play at that level now. If he has a breakout year, that's not a problem - that's an advantage.

The downside to having him as a 2C is that the team expects and needs him to play and produce at that level even if he might not be ready or able to take that step next year. Kinda puts the team in a weaker position.

That's fine if you're in rebuilding mode and can accept the possibility of missing the playoffs. But I don't think that's really where the organization is at. It's clear that playoffs are a priority for them.

33 minutes ago, brelic said:

Exactly. There's no downside to having him as 3C, because we know he can play at that level now. If he has a breakout year, that's not a problem - that's an advantage.

The downside to having him as a 2C is that the team expects and needs him to play and produce at that level even if he might not be ready or able to take that step next year. Kinda puts the team in a weaker position.

That's fine if you're in rebuilding mode and can accept the possibility of missing the playoffs. But I don't think that's really where the organization is at. It's clear that playoffs are a priority for them.

So who would you target for the 2nd line role?

Hayes?

Nelson?

Dzingel?

I don't want Duchene we have enough floaters.

They need to target someone.

I'd rather not trade for a center I would rather sign one.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So who would you target for the 2nd line role?

Hayes?

Nelson?

Dzingel?

I don't want Duchene we have enough floaters.

They need to target someone.

I'd rather not trade for a center I would rather sign one.

I like Hayes because he's young, and basically doubled Patrick's production this year. Last three years are 54pts (this year), 44, 49. So let's say 45. 

Duchene has 31g, 70pts. That's not nothing. I don't know if he's a floater or not (that term gets thrown around too much for NHL players)... but 70 points is 70 points. Most people on here seem to have a strong negative view of him, so I guess I'll defer to that. I don't watch him play.

The problem with Duchene, contractually, is that he's 28 and will likely get 7 years. That brings him to 35. Is that what we want? 

Hayes on the other hand, is 26 (27 next month). That would bring him to 34. Honestly, same thing. 

Duchene is much more productive than Hayes. 

Bottom line, though, I'd think a 45+ point player would be ideal for 2C.

33 minutes ago, brelic said:

That's not nothing. I don't know if he's a floater or not (that term gets thrown around too much for NHL players)... but 70 points is 70 points

Let me qualify that. And i'm not speaking for anyone else.

When i say floater i mean a guy who dogs it getting back doesn't put much if any effort into getting back, doesn't skate hard or even much at all he coast, glides...floats back and then in guys cases like Jake even when he does manage to get back he doesn't get back with a purpose of really helping out and keeping the other team from getting the puck looks for other to do it and get him the puck so he can skate it back up ice.

That is a floater.

So with signing Duchene i would have intentions of putting him on the 2nd line.

And low and behold who would his wingers be??

JVR and Jake...two of the worst floaters on the team.

So imagine adding another floater like Duchene and well the other team is going to eat their lunch.

Sure they will put up goals but more than likely be on the ice for twice as many goals against. So is that really a win??

Is that what the 2nd line needs??

I say no.

So i would take Hayes over him. Even Dzingel.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I’ve been reading that Kaapo has a chance to go #1 overall 

Almost everyone has Hughes 1st but Kakko is a very close 2nd. I think it's another one of those drafts where the best player could very well be taken outside the top pick. Sounds like a great time for the Flyers to win another lottery.

• Like 1

FYI .....

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-306553438

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the odds for the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery participants following the conclusion of the 2018-19 regular season.

The 2019 NHL Draft Lottery, which will be held Tuesday, April 9, in Toronto, will consist of three drawings: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting third overall.

The results of the Draft Lottery will be revealed live by national rightsholders NBCSN, Sportsnet and TVA Sports during a one-hour show beginning at 8 p.m. ET.

The 15 clubs that did not qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs, or the clubs that have acquired the first-round picks of those non-playoff clubs, will participate in the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery.

The allocation of odds for the 1st Lottery Draw of the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery is as follows:

Lottery odds (Fewest Points to Most)

Colorado Avalanche (from OTT) 18.5%

Los Angeles Kings 13.5%

New Jersey Devils 11.5%

Detroit Red Wings 9.5%

Buffalo Sabres 8.5%

New York Rangers 7.5%

Edmonton Oilers 6.5%

Anaheim Ducks 6.0%

Vancouver Canucks 5.0%

Philadelphia Flyers 3.5%

Minnesota Wild 3.0%

Chicago Blackhawks 2.5%

Florida Panthers 2.0%

Arizona Coyotes 1.5%

Montreal Canadiens 1.0%

The odds for the remaining clubs will increase on a proportionate basis for the 2nd Lottery Draw, based on which club wins the 1st Lottery Draw, and again for the 3rd Lottery Draw, based on which club wins the 2nd Lottery Draw.

The 12 clubs not selected in the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery will be assigned 2019 NHL Draft selections 4 through 15, in inverse order of regular-season points.

The 2019 NHL Draft will take place at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. The first round will be held Friday, June 21. Rounds 2-7 will take place Saturday, June 22.