2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

30 minutes ago, icehole said:

I really hope there is a Sam Morin type available.  I hope the flyers draft him and groom him for five years to be a 7th or 6th defenseman in the NHL one day.

After getting Giroux all those years ago, we were due for a Bobby Sanguinetti.

I've moved on from Morin. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, oh well. They won't all turn out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm fine with 11. There's ALWAYS good players that fall and questionable players that ALWAYS rise. Out of the forwards, I'm expecting Boldy, Turcotte, or Krebs to fall. The Flyers are going to get a very good player (I'm hoping for Boldy to be honest).

You can get a very good player at 11. If you know what to do with the pick. And that's if you actually keep the pick. With the trio of clowns managing this franchise now I can't say I have a lot of faith

The Flyers don't need to do anything crazy and everything that Fletcher has done so far has indicated he's not going to go crazy. Aggressive? Yes, but not crazy. He'll make big offers to one of the UFA defensemen and forwards, but he's not going to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. He could have done that during the regular season.

Well so far he hasn't done anything crazy...but he's made several deals during the regular season that look like they were made just for the sake of making one. And I really hope he doesn't go all Ryan Suter/Zack Parise on us. God those contracts look bad and i doubt they get better over the next SIX seasons.

The only way he moves the pick is if he does manage to package it and a player and get a near elite right handed defender. 

Fletcher wasn't exactly a draft pick hoarder in Minnesota. Holmgren isn't exactly one either. And Scott wants to win now, even though he has no clue how. 

I won't be surprised if the pick is dealt. I will be surprised if it brings in a near elite right handed anything. Prepared to eat crow and hope i do.

• Uggh... 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You can get a very good player at 11.

Some past examples...

2008 - Kyle Beach (bust)

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2010 - Jack Campbell (bust)

2011 - Duncan Siemens (bust)

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2013 - Sam Morin (bust?)

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2016 - Logan Brown

It's kind of a mixed bag over the past 10 years. I didn't include the latest two drafts (Vilardi and Wahlstrom) because it's too early to tell. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

After getting Giroux all those years ago, we were due for a Bobby Sanguinetti.

I've moved on from Morin. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, oh well. They won't all turn out.

You certainly can get a good player at 11.  I just pointed out that flub because I'm not happy with this organization right now.  It's a crapshoot outside of the first few picks.

I actually like Morin and I hoped that he would add a presence and toughness the team was lacking.  I watch a little but of phantoms hockey though, and it always looked like not much was going on upstairs.  It's almost like the game moves too fast for his brain to process what's going on.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Some past examples...

2008 - Kyle Beach (bust)

2009 - Ryan Ellis

2010 - Jack Campbell (bust)

2011 - Duncan Siemens (bust)

2012 - Filip Forsberg

2013 - Sam Morin (bust?)

2014 - Kevin Fiala

2015 - Lawson Crouse

2016 - Logan Brown

It's kind of a mixed bag over the past 10 years. I didn't include the latest two drafts (Vilardi and Wahlstrom) because it's too early to tell. 

There have been some excellent players taken in the 2nd round over the years. So you can definitely get one at 11. Hopefully.

1 minute ago, icehole said:

You certainly can get a good player at 11.  I just pointed out that flub because I'm not happy with this organization right now.  It's a crapshoot outside of the first few picks.

I actually like Morin and I hoped that he would add a presence and toughness the team was lacking.  I watch a little but of phantoms hockey though, and it always looked like not much was going on upstairs.  It's almost like the game moves too fast for his brain to process what's going on.

That's the sense I got too, but admittedly I don't watch him very much.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Too soon to declare this.

Yup, I didn't realize he was a goalie. Just looked up his stats and he was pretty spectacular in LA this year.

10-14-1 on a terrible team with a .928 save percentage and 2.30 GAA? That's pretty damn amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

There have been some excellent players taken in the 2nd round over the years. So you can definitely get one at 11. Hopefully.

Absolutely! I wasn't saying one way or another that we won't - just posting a list of past 11th overalls. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I sure hope the Flyers don't regret taking high schooler JOB instead of a Kupari, K' Andre Miller, Jacob Bernard-Docker or Rasmus Sandin.

That would be a black eye for Hextall.

Well, in 5 years of drafting, Hextall came up with Sanheim/Provorov/Konecny/Rubtsov/Patrick/Frost/Farabee and O'Brien. Just in the 1st round.

O'Briens had a tough year adapting to a higher level, but it happens. I think Hextall took a chance here for a higher ceiling type pick since he already had a glut of prospects. I don't have a problem with that. If he'd only had 3 picks in those 5 years it would definitely be a concern.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You can get a very good player at 11. If you know what to do with the pick. And that's if you actually keep the pick. With the trio of clowns managing this franchise now I can't say I have a lot of faith

Well so far he hasn't done anything crazy...but he's made several deals during the regular season that look like they were made just for the sake of making one. And I really hope he doesn't go all Ryan Suter/Zack Parise on us. God those contracts look bad and i doubt they get better over the next SIX seasons.

Fletcher wasn't exactly a draft pick hoarder in Minnesota. Holmgren isn't exactly one either. And Scott wants to win now, even though he has no clue how. 

I won't be surprised if the pick is dealt. I will be surprised if it brings in a near elite right handed anything. Prepared to eat crow and hope i do.

So a couple of things. 

First, Fletcher never had the scouting staff in Minnesota that the Flyers have. If anything, I expect Fletcher to really rely heavily on the scouting staff in Philadelphia this draft. As well, unlike Hextall, I'm certain that Fletcher is keeping Scott and Holmgren up to date with what his intentions are. Don't forget, a big reason Hextall was let go was that he essentially shut out Holmgren and he thought Scott was an idiot. Even if you don't like your boss, you don't treat him like he's a less than. Hextall's abrasive personality got the best of him and when people tried to reason with him, he ignored them. I think as long as Fletcher keeps everyone notified of what he's doing, they'll be off his back.

Now, as for Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, Craig Leipold bought the Wild in 2008. How much of Parise and Suter signing in Minnesota was a direct result of Leipold ordering Fletcher to make a big splash? Every owner does it. Even the late Ed Snider directed Holmgren to sign players (see Bryzgalov, Ilya). So, I'm fairly certain that Leipold played a huge role in signing those two, especially when you consider there's history with Suter when Leipold was the owner in Nashville.

I get that Fletcher wasn't a pick hoarder in Minnesota. I also get that when the owner directs you to do what you can to make the team get into the playoffs and to do anything you can to get the club to advance, draft picks become the easiest currency to swap out. Also, let's not forget that this was Fletcher's first GM job. Every GM learns from the first experience. I really think Fletcher learned a lot from his days in Minnesota and his press conference after the season ended really reiterated that. He wasn't talking about full blown rebuild or going crazy and trading everything. He had a very astute take on things. He identified the problem that he saw with the club. He identified what kind of players he needs going forward to help the team and he identified what he's looking for in the next coach. 

I'm willing to give him a pass and I'm willing to give Holmgren and Scott a pass as well. When Fletcher was brought in, they could have very easily told him to make moves to shake up the team and qualify for the playoffs. They didn't and that's the key. They let him make his evaluations and while his moves were nothing earth shattering, he accomplished something in that his additions were subtractions, with the exception of Hartman, who is the new Clutterbuck for this team -> the steam rolling ball of hate that can contribute 10 to 15 goals a year in a bottom six role. Everyone seems to think Simmonds was going to secure a blue chip prospect and a first. That boat sailed when Hextall failed to move him last year (when his value was higher than it was this year). 

Maybe I'm the optimist, but I think things are going to be OK. Holmgren is going on 64 years old and has said he doesn't want to be a GM or make GM decisions. He's quite content where he is and as long as Fletcher is keeping everyone in the loop, there's nothing to worry about.

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So a couple of things. 

First, Fletcher never had the scouting staff in Minnesota that the Flyers have. If anything, I expect Fletcher to really rely heavily on the scouting staff in Philadelphia this draft. As well, unlike Hextall, I'm certain that Fletcher is keeping Scott and Holmgren up to date with what his intentions are. Don't forget, a big reason Hextall was let go was that he essentially shut out Holmgren and he thought Scott was an idiot. Even if you don't like your boss, you don't treat him like he's a less than. Hextall's abrasive personality got the best of him and when people tried to reason with him, he ignored them. I think as long as Fletcher keeps everyone notified of what he's doing, they'll be off his back.

Let's hope so. I think. Cause Fletcher just reminds me of...Holmgren.

Now, as for Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, Craig Leipold bought the Wild in 2008. How much of Parise and Suter signing in Minnesota was a direct result of Leipold ordering Fletcher to make a big splash? Every owner does it. Even the late Ed Snider directed Holmgren to sign players (see Bryzgalov, Ilya). So, I'm fairly certain that Leipold played a huge role in signing those two, especially when you consider there's history with Suter when Leipold was the owner in Nashville.

Kinda like Scott wants to make a splash?

I get that Fletcher wasn't a pick hoarder in Minnesota. I also get that when the owner directs you to do what you can to make the team get into the playoffs and to do anything you can to get the club to advance, draft picks become the easiest currency to swap out. Also, let's not forget that this was Fletcher's first GM job. Every GM learns from the first experience. I really think Fletcher learned a lot from his days in Minnesota and his press conference after the season ended really reiterated that. He wasn't talking about full blown rebuild or going crazy and trading everything. He had a very astute take on things. He identified the problem that he saw with the club. He identified what kind of players he needs going forward to help the team and he identified what he's looking for in the next coach. 

I guess we'll find out this summer. If he turns out to be a good gm then great. He just wasn't in my top 20 of GMs to pick.

I'm willing to give him a pass and I'm willing to give Holmgren and Scott a pass as well. When Fletcher was brought in, they could have very easily told him to make moves to shake up the team and qualify for the playoffs. They didn't and that's the key. They let him make his evaluations and while his moves were nothing earth shattering, he accomplished something in that his additions were subtractions, with the exception of Hartman, who is the new Clutterbuck for this team -> the steam rolling ball of hate that can contribute 10 to 15 goals a year in a bottom six role. Everyone seems to think Simmonds was going to secure a blue chip prospect and a first. That boat sailed when Hextall failed to move him last year (when his value was higher than it was this year). 

I'm not giving Holmgren a pass...he left the Flyers in shambles. It took Hextall 5 friggin years to rebuild the prospect pool...and STILL hadn't got rid of all Homers ridiculously stupid contracts. 

I wasn't expecting a blue chip and a 1st for Simmonds...but I'm confident Hextall does better on that trade AND on the Stolarz/Talbot one. Hartman is ok.

Maybe I'm the optimist, but I think things are going to be OK. Holmgren is going on 64 years old and has said he doesn't want to be a GM or make GM decisions. He's quite content where he is and as long as Fletcher is keeping everyone in the loop, there's nothing to worry about.

Other than Fletchers previous history as a gm. I know we have to give him a chance, cause we have no other choice. But when all you have to go on is his previous history...it just looks like we're in for the return of the son of Paul Holmgren the sequel.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I thought a gif of @Hockey Junkie surfing would best summarize my thoughts on the process...

That fat guy looks nothing like me by the way. The guy with the surf board below.  I thought it was that guy from the Shallows that gets eaten by the great white

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, brelic said:

I get what you're saying about Heiskanen, but I guarantee 30 out of 30 other GMs would have taken Patrick 2nd. Ok, there may have been the odd GM that would have taken Heiskanen if defense was really an overwhelming need, but most GMs will pick BPA at the top of the draft like that. 

Plus, we were stocked on the blueline.

He sure looked good last night huh. It's amazing what can happen when you can unleash a wrister that is on target...not four feet wide...

What might have been.

It might be his poise more than anything that impresses me beyond his years of age.

Can we have a do over??? Asking for a friend.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, brelic said:

Plus, we were stocked on the blueline.

Oh yeah i guess but you can turn those if need be into other pieces that you miss...tradable assets are good to have.

And defensemen are worth their weight in gold. You can only play 6 on a given night. Well 7 if you're Gordon.

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh yeah i guess but you can turn those if need be into other pieces that you miss...tradable assets are good to have.

And defensemen are worth their weight in gold. You can only play 6 on a given night. Well 7 if you're Gordon.

Just wait if Gordon is made full time. We might see 9 defensemen dressed..... Lol

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he would have looked great on our blueline. 

In a redraft, he might still go 3rd after Pettersson and Hischier.

• Haha 1

Well do you guys have anything to sell us?  We do have a higher pick and we also have those extra picks from San Jose and St Louis for O'Reilly and Evander Kane. Of course we did get that speedy defenseman from the Ducks, I love that kid.  Maybe we will make you an offer for Voracek?  Or Gireaux?

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Voracek, Hagg and the 11th pick 

for

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and the 8th pick

Thoughts??

Not a chance.

I don't mind Nuge, but Voracek is easily the superior player here. Just take a glance at their production totals. It's not even close.

I do think Nuge is a decent 3C, but Voracek can and should fetch much better than that. We may be all sour on Voracek (myself included), but he is a top line player in this league. Nuge is barely top six on most teams.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

Oilers have a bit of a cap issue, they will pay 4 forwards 32 million next 2 years. You could probably take on some salary from them and get a nice piece or 2 as well. Maybe something like Ghost and Laughton and Hagg for Larsson Lucic and Puljajarvi. Ya gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.