2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Choosing where you go doesn't help that at all.

It needs to be fixed for teams to invest years developing the coming to their camps and using their facilities and then for them to one day decide nah i want to play somewhere else is a big issue.

And the team gets nothing if they can't trade their rights.

I would stop investing the picks on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It needs to be fixed for teams to invest years developing the coming to their camps and using their facilities and then for them to one day decide nah i want to play somewhere else is a big issue.

And the team gets nothing if they can't trade their rights.

I would stop investing the picks on them.

I get it on the one hand. On the other, it's worked with other players. 

I wouldn't stop drafting them, but there should be some insurance. 

My other problem is the players submitted their names for the draft.  I don't really like them continuing to pay college after having been drafted.  Maybe that's the other thing that should be looked at. 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wouldn't stop drafting them, but there should be some insurance

Surr so what do you propose?

They continue playing college because the NCAA won't allow them to sign a contract not even a ATO one.

Yes stupid and needs to be fixed too.

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Surr so what do you propose?

They continue playing college because the NCAA won't allow them to sign a contract not even a ATO one.

Yes stupid and needs to be fixed too.

Well  I know about the contract thing (ncaa). On that side of things, if you can't sign a contract, you don't enter the draft.  So, if a kid announces for the draft, he is NCAA ineligible. 

I guess that would probably take care of it, huh?  I was going to come up with some creative second part, but that might do it. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Well  I know about the contract thing (ncaa). On that side of things, if you can't sign a contract, you don't enter the draft.  So, if a kid announces for the draft, he is NCAA ineligible. 

I guess that would probably take care of it, huh?  I was going to come up with some creative second part, but that might do it. 

It is a thing with the NCAA (the crooks) like the junior kids can sign their ELC and return to juniors.

In college you can't. You can get draft in baseball sign a baseball contract and not be allowed to play baseball in college anymore but you can play football in college....it just makes no damn sense college sports can make all kind of money on the athletes but they in turn gets rules and restrictions.

It's BS!!!!

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 7:47 PM, OccamsRazor said:

After Allison and Laczynski not wanting to sign now and go back to school, i would be pretty much done drafting guys from the college ranks. I'd rather go after them as undrafted free agents than waste a draft pick on them.

They will lose them both (a 2nd and a 6th ) for pretty much nothing to show for it unless they find a taker for them before August 15th of next year.

Do we know for sure that they do not want stay in Philly? Allison is the kind of power right wing we could really use. Maybe he wants to do one more year in college since he missed most of last season being injured? I really hate to lose him or jump the gun and trade him without really knowing his intentions. If he definitely does not want to stay,  then we have no choice.

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Do we know for sure that they do not want stay in Philly? Allison is the kind of power right wing we could really use. Maybe he wants to do one more year in college since he missed most of last season being injured? I really hate to lose him or jump the gun and trade him without really knowing his intentions. If he definitely does not want to stay,  then we have no choice.

I don't think anyone knows for sure besides those two.

And he might want to improve his stats before jumping to the AHL.

Fletcher is the one who has to gauge it all but the long you wait till next year when other teams know for sure he wants to test the market then you ain't getting squat for them.

So yeah you just have to roll the dice.

Maybe you can salvage something for them.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Don't know anything about this guy so I can't say just posting an opinion....

He has the Flyers taking Matthew Boldy.

6-2 188 LW so let's see....

I like Boldy. Big kid that can skate and has incredibly soft hands and a high IQ, plus a non-stop motor. He's also a full 200 foot player, which will appeal to the Flyers if he's still available at 11 (I have a sneaking suspicion that Edmonton and Vancouver might be interested). If he's gone when the Flyers pick, I hope the Flyers swing for the fences and select Arthur Kaliyev. The more I think about it, the more they need a pure offensive player who makes things happen in the offensive zone. The guy can finish and he's magic on his off wing. This is a boom-type pick, especially when you read his coach say that Kaliyev has really worked on other areas of his game and that he's still a work in progress, but things are coming together. I'm fine with either guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Arthur Kaliyev

Kid sounds like the scorer they could use.

Put up 51 goals in his second year of juniors.

The only other prospect the Flyers have who has put up 50 goals in juniors is Isaac Ratcliffe this year.

To put that into perspective, none of the Flyers high profile picks Giroux, Couturier, Richards, Carter, Frost, Patrick or Konecny have ever put up 50 goals in juniors.

You have to go back to Gagne who last did it and that was in QMJHL.

The last actual pick that did it in the OHL is Mike Ricci 1990. Wow.

So yes the Flyers could use a goal scorer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think Cole Caufield will be there at 11 honestly....especially after his latest performance.

His size should keep him in the neighborhood. especially after the other smurfs latest playoff performances. 

Size certainly isn't as big of a factor these days. But he's really small. He's a good,skater but doesn't possess elite speed. He's also not very good without the puck. Of course his shot and puck handling are excellent.

There's plenty of good players leading up to the 11th pick. And after watching Tampas smurfs and Gaudreau be no-shows, that could factor in him plateauing. He is having a heck of a tournament though.

I'm good if Philly takes him. But we're getting a good player there if he isn't. Boldy/Krebs/Soderstrom...someone else could fall to us...unless Fletcher goes all Fletcher on us.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Uggh... 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

His size should keep him in the neighborhood. especially after the other smurfs latest playoff performances. 

Size certainly isn't as big of a factor these days. But he's really small. He's a good,skater but doesn't possess elite speed. He's also not very good without the puck. Of course his shot and puck handling are excellent.

There's plenty of good players leading up to the 11th pick. And after watching Tampas smurfs and Gaudreau be no-shows, that could factor in him plateauing. He is having a heck of a tournament though.

I'm good if Philly takes him. But we're getting a good player there if he isn't. Boldy/Krebs/Soderstrom...someone else could fall to us...unless Fletcher goes all Fletcher on us.

Defense don't hurt either...

Can't score without the puck.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:10 AM, flyercanuck said:

Nope he won't be there at #11...

🚨

Just 47 seconds apart, Cole Caufield gets his 12th of the tournament -- two back of Ovechkin's record -- and Bobby Brink adds the 6-0 goal for
. #U18Worlds Check out our Caufield feature on (link: http://IIHF.com) IIHF.com!

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP!!!!

Wow big guy scores his 2nd goal of the tourney....he would look good in the prospect pool...

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/projected-first-round-pick-seider-scores-second-goal-of-whc~1682842

6-4 right hand shooting D men don't grow on trees...#11??? Dude skates pretty well too boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/futureofphilly/status/1133821385682378754/photo/1

So who would the Flyers take?

I like Moritz Seider

or

Aurthur Kaliyev...

I don't have any problem (at all!) with either one, but if either is my guy I'm trying to trade back. Especially for Kaliyev.  I think you'd be safe at 20 for him. Seidler, I might be a little nervous at 15.

This may actually be the way to go if you're keeping the pick and they're who you want.  Maybe get a 2nd or 3rd out of it (especially going back to #20). 

I like Nearhoof, too, but think maybe you're drafting him a little early at #11. 

I just saw a recent mock with us taking Kirby Dach. I don't know enough, but I'm not excited. I think I'd rather Lavoie there, but again not ecstatic. 

But all this is just based on write-ups and quick looks on YouTube. For context, I wasn't excited about Farabee. I already consider myself wrong on that one. 

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This mock has the Flyers taking Peyton Krebs.

Thoughts?

Like nearly everyone else in the range of our pick, there's things to like and things to be "ummm..." about.    Again, with the caveat that there are far more knowledgeable people on the board, I wouldn't hate this.  He seems, though, like he would be a typical Philly center draft pick.  He's safe, he's two-way, and probably more likely to pass than shoot.    From what I've read, he'd probably be 2-3 years away, which is actually fine.

There are several, and he's one, that I'd be good with (if Boldy were to fall to #11, that's my pick), but if I can swing a deal I'm leaning more and more to moving the pick.   Either as part of a packaage for a "ready now" player or to trade back to the 20-25 range.  I don't think there's necessarily a huge drop off from the 11 slot to that range.  Maybe you end up with an additional 2nd or 3rd out of it.   Or maybe you trade it for a 1st round next year and skip it.   I think my first attempt would be for "ready now."

You mentioned Seider (not a bad idea) so I know you're open to defensemen.  What do you think of Cam York?

• Like 1

SB Nation has their mock draft and they had the Flyers taking Alex Newhook. Another had them taking Podkolzin. One was Caulfield. Krebs is in the one you were looking at @OccamsRazor and then there have been others where they were taking Soderstrom. With all the talk as of late coming out of Philadelphia, I'm convinced that the 11th will be moved on a package to land a center and defenseman. Think similar to the Hartnell/Timonen deal. Fletcher has been real vocal about improving the club and trade route seems to be the obvious choice, especially if they can take advantage of a team with cap issues.