2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

26 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

What do you think of Cam York?

I don't think you take him with #11.

But if you trade back to 15th maybe.

He is a smaller defenseman who'd game I'm not sure how it will translate to the NHL level and another college athlete I just am not comfortable taking with 1st honestly.

Until the resolve the issue of guys being able to just for go signing with their situation I just stay away from college guys that high.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

SB Nation has their mock draft and they had the Flyers taking Alex Newhook. Another had them taking Podkolzin. One was Caulfield. Krebs is in the one you were looking at @OccamsRazor and then there have been others where they were taking Soderstrom. With all the talk as of late coming out of Philadelphia, I'm convinced that the 11th will be moved on a package to land a center and defenseman. Think similar to the Hartnell/Timonen deal. Fletcher has been real vocal about improving the club and trade route seems to be the obvious choice, especially if they can take advantage of a team with cap issues. 

With the glut of prospects they have now I am ok moving the pick for the right guy who can help more now.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think you take him with #11.

But if you trade back to 15th maybe.

He is a smaller defenseman who'd game I'm not sure how it will translate to the NHL level and another college athlete I just am not comfortable taking with 1st honestly.

Until the resolve the issue of guys being able to just for go signing with their situation I just stay away from college guys that high.

That was exactly my argument against drafting Farabee at #14.  Seriously.  And despite its looking like Farabee will work out, I still default to your bolded.   The problem is going to end up being that there is a swath of college kids where we're drafting.  At 5'11," I don't think he's horribly small even for the NHL, and the RHD is attractive.  But, I'm still a bit hung up on the college thing.

I'm leaning more and more heavily toward trading the pick.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

That was exactly my argument against drafting Farabee at #14.  Seriously.  And despite its looking like Farabee will work out, I still default to your bolded.   The problem is going to end up being that there is a swath of college kids where we're drafting.  At 5'11," I don't think he's horribly small even for the NHL, and the RHD is attractive.  But, I'm still a bit hung up on the college thing.

I'm leaning more and more heavily toward trading the pick.

I was ok with Farabee for one reason he is the sniper that they need badly.

That and the fact of his hockey IQ and his ability to come and quickly play on the PK which the Flyers need too. 

I think he and Coots can be lethal once he arrives.

So yeah a roll of the dice but for the scoring ability I trust the process.

But that is it I'm done with that now.

Maybe with a 2nd rounder.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I was ok with Farabee for one reason he is the sniper that they need badly.

That and the fact of his hockey IQ and his ability to come and quickly play on the PK which the Flyers need too. 

I think he and Coots can be lethal once he arrives.

So yeah a roll of the dice but for the scoring ability I trust the process.

But that is it I'm done with that now.

Maybe with a 2nd rounder.

Yep, with you on all counts.   I liked the Farabee pick once it was made and since my fears on it haven't held merit, but in general, if there are two players of equal calibre and one is playing junior hockey and the other is going to go to college, I'm picking the juniors kid.  In the first round, anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yep, with you on all counts.   I liked the Farabee pick once it was made and since my fears on it haven't held merit, but in general, if there are two players of equal calibre and one is playing junior hockey and the other is going to go to college, I'm picking the juniors kid.  In the first round, anyway.

Let me walk that back a second.

I would roll the dice on another sniper who might be there. Might.

Cole Caulfield I would take with the #11.

Even though he is headed to Wisconsin.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cole Caulfield I would take with the #11.

He interests me.  If he's still there at #11 and we haven't been able to move the pick, that's probably my pick so long as Boldy is gone (I think he should be).

I think the size concern is justified, but I think our prospect pool is such that we can take a chance.  I mean, we already kind of took a huge chance on O'Brien, so that's technically a chance with two first round picks in a row, but I'm game.     I agree we should think sniper.

I have no problem with choosing a player on where they play. My issue with the NCAA is the actual program they're playing at. For instance, I would NEVER recommend any prospect to go to a school like the University of New Hampshire. It's a trash program. Now, if they're going to one of the Boston schools, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc....(one of the schools with a great hockey program), then I'm all for it.

It's the same with junior hockey. Under no circumstances would I take anyone from a program like Flint, where there has been TONS of issues. That just saps the development from players and they end up developing real bad habits. 

I really do think though that the pick is going to be moved. I look around the league and there are numerous teams with cap issues that are going to look to move guys. If Fletcher targets Vegas, Toronto, Tampa Bay and Nashville, there's no reason to believe that they can't walk away with two good players that can help elevate the team to the next level, especially since it seems like Fletcher has no problems taking on salary.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Really?

In this mock NHL draft (http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/) they predict him sliding to us at 11.

No just joking.

I honestly would be shocked if they didn't trade the pick in a package for a player who is can help now.

I won't venture to guess who or what position they play. 

But with the glut of kids on the Phantoms and more to come in next year they have a lot of depth throughout the ranks to deal from.

We'll more than likely see at the draft.

After reading the press conference today, it looks like Fletcher and Nature Boy are going to draft a defenseman. I expect that Soderstrom leads the list, but with the Flyers having some good luck with the USNTDP, it won't surprise me if York is high on the list as well. Gut leads me to believe it's going to be Soderstrom just because they talked about someone between 3 - 15. They have lots of left handed defensemen, but they don't have a potentially elite right handed defender in the system. OK, now I'm really intrigued by what's going to happen at the draft.

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

After reading the press conference today, it looks like Fletcher and Nature Boy are going to draft a defenseman. I expect that Soderstrom leads the list, but with the Flyers having some good luck with the USNTDP, it won't surprise me if York is high on the list as well. Gut leads me to believe it's going to be Soderstrom just because they talked about someone between 3 - 15. They have lots of left handed defensemen, but they don't have a potentially elite right handed defender in the system. OK, now I'm really intrigued by what's going to happen at the draft.

I don't think York has the upside of Segerstrom however that too make also make him unavailable at #11 too.

So whatever is best for the club I'm down with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article from "The Athletic".......

Starting Friday in Vancouver, the Philadelphia Flyers’ new front-office tandem of general manager Chuck Fletcher and assistant GM Brent Flahr will get their first crack at what has become one of the biggest nights of the year for fans of the Orange & Black: the NHL Draft.

Granted, a driving force behind the draft’s outsized importance for Flyers fans in recent years was former general manager Ron Hextall’s patient approach to team-building. The organization’s expected pivot toward more aggressive strategies might slowly diminish the draft’s perceived importance for the franchise, particularly if Fletcher starts using his high picks as trade currency in the coming years. But the draft never ceases to be an essential part of constructing a healthy organization. Young, cost-controlled, impact talent is the lifeblood of every team, even those firmly in win-now mode.

Fletcher and the Flyers enter the weekend with significant draft capital — nine picks, headlined by the valuable No. 11 selection. But their approach remains unclear in a way that wouldn’t have been the case if Hextall were still in charge. Fletcher and Flahr aren’t front-office neophytes — they ran the Wild’s drafts together for nearly a decade — but they’re now leading a new organization, backed by new scouts and employed by new ownership. They almost certainly won’t replicate Hextall’s draft-day strategies, nor will they function exactly as they did in Minnesota.

This makes for an especially intriguing Flyers draft, with a number of routes the organization could take. Let’s go through what we know based on Fletcher and Flahr’s public comments and make some educated guesses on how the weekend might play out.

Piecing together the likely approach

Fletcher and Flahr will almost certainly bring different ideas to the room they now lead. They’ll be making final calls on the organization’s draft board, just as Hextall and former right-hand man Chris Pryor did before them.

However, their opinions will still largely be informed by a scouting staff that — beyond the removal of Pryor — has remained intact. So it’s reasonable to expect that the types of players the scouts tended to recommend under Hextall will still be prioritized by Fletcher and Flahr. Both men said as much last Monday.

“I think we have similar philosophies as far as the players we like to draft, in certain areas,” Flahr said regarding the scouts in the organization. “I was really happy with the (scouting) meetings (to discuss the team’s draft board), you didn’t have guys just sitting on their hands, which sometimes (happens) with the new group coming in. We had lots of tough conversations, and hopefully at the end of the day, we’ll come to a list that we’re happy with.”

Fletcher echoed Flahr’s praise of the internal team while sounding a lot like Hextallwhen it came to skill-set prioritization.

“I’ve been very, very impressed with the amateur scouting staff. It’s a strong group, a lot of experience. I think we all recognize the way the game is going. For me, hockey sense has always been a very important part of what you look for in a hockey player. You obviously want the biggest, fastest, most-skilled player you can get. But the players with those intangibles, with the hockey sense, and the drive and the work ethic are extremely important, and I think that has been a priority here through the years.”

As for the overarching approach to this draft, Fletcher and Flahr endorsed a “best player available” philosophy, particularly in the early rounds. But both acknowledged that restocking the defenseman pipeline is a goal. With the expected graduations of Philippe Myers and Samuel Morin to the NHL full time in 2019-20, the club’s blueline pipeline is led by players such as Yegor Zamula, Mark Friedman, Wyatt Kalynuk, Adam Ginning and Linus Högberg. These are fine prospects but a far cry from the days when Philadelphia boasted the likes of Ivan Provorov, Travis Sanheim and Myers in the pipeline.

“I think, as we go in the draft, we have some young defensemen that are in the NHL right now, and a couple coming, but we’d probably like to add defensemen depth to our organization going forward, whether it’s at 11 or the second or third round, we will see,” Fletcher said.

Flahr dropped a useful tidbit while confirming the interest in defensemen.

“We have a couple defensemen in our top 10 that we like, and certain forwards, too,” he said. “We’ll see how it goes.”

In Bob McKenzie’s final draft ranking list — which, compiled with the help of NHL scouts, is viewed as an accurate guide to industry consensus  — only one defenseman (Bowen Byram) made the top 10. Smokescreens aside, for Flahr to say there are “a couple” defensemen in the top 10 on the team’s board implies that if the draft goes the way McKenzie projects, the Flyers will be staring at a blueliner whom they value as a top-10 caliber pick at No. 11. That doesn’t mean there won’t be a forward also available whom they rate even higher, but it does provide some food for thought.

Could the Flyers trade No. 11?

Fletcher hasn’t been shy about his desire to aggressively improve the Flyers. “We have good players, we just need more of them” has turned into something of a personal mantra during his media availabilities, and it speaks to a desire to add from outside the organization.

The No. 11 pick, of course, is a mighty attractive asset that could be used to do just that.

Far from denying that their first-round selection could be traded, Fletcher was more than willing to acknowledge that it is in play. However, he was sure to note that, as of last Monday, he hadn’t received the type of offers that would tempt him to move the pick.

“I’ve certainly mentioned it to teams, that we’re open to any concepts,” Fletcher said. “There hasn’t really been a big push for the pick, I will admit. At this point, as you get closer, things can change. We’ll see. If we keep our pick and stay at 11, we are still going to get a really good player. It is a pretty good chip. In certain scenarios, I would not hesitate to move it if it can really help our team. In most of our conversations, it hasn’t really involved the pick at this point.”

But what would drive the Flyers to trade No. 11? According to Flahr, it would take a very specific kind of haul.

“We’re not giving away 11,” he maintained. “If we’re going to trade 11, it’s going to be for a significant piece and it won’t be a rental. It’ll be a younger player, realistically.”

Are there any high-end players on the young side with term left on their contracts who might be available? Sure. According to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun, Winnipeg is at least listening to offers on winger Nikolaj Ehlers, who’s 23 with six years left on a contract with a $6 million cap hit. Presumably, there are other options on the market who are being shopped more quietly.

That said, my read on Fletcher’s comments was that they may have been intended to prepare the fan base for the likelihood that No. 11 will not be traded. Framing the situation as “we’d move the pick, but the offers aren’t good enough” plays much better with an audience expecting aggressive action this summer than “we care more about adding a high-end prospect than getting more help now.” The No. 11 pick certainly could be traded, but my guess is that the Flyers ultimately make it.

Targets for the Flyers at No. 11

If the Flyers stay at No. 11 and make their pick, they’ll have a wide variety of possible selections.

“This draft, especially the top 15, I think there are a number of different types of players, which is interesting,” Flahr said. “Some power wingers; some smaller, scoring wingers; centermen; a number of (defensemen); goaltenders. Obviously picking 11, some of that is taken out for us. We’ve identified probably five or six guys who we think have a chance to be there at 11 and probably some of the teams in front of us will dictate that. We are really confident we are going to get a good player at 11.”

But who will they select? To be clear, the possibilities I’ve outlined below are not necessarily my preferences — though I do like all of them as prospects. These are plausible picks based on my interpretation of the Flyers’ likely approach to the draft, the types of players the scouting department has liked in the past, and general chatter around the league during the past few weeks.

Let’s get to it.

Philip Broberg — defenseman, Allsvenskan (Sweden)

The Flyers definitely seem to see the value of infusing their pipeline with high-upside blueline prospects to make up for recent graduations. As noted above, per Flahr, as recently as last Monday, they had a second defenseman in their top 10 aside from the likely chalk inclusion, Byram.

That second blueliner could be Broberg.

As a prospect, his big selling point is elite potential. Broberg is a fantastic skater, one of the best in the draft, despite his 6-foot-3, 200-plus-pound frame. Broberg has the tools, and if he continues to grow into the defenseman position — he switched from forward at 13 — there’s top-pair potential here.

Concerns about his decision-making with the puck are fair. His speed makes him a strong puck carrier, but his passing and creativity don’t grade out as high-end at this point.

Still, it’s a swing-for-the-fences pick, and Minnesota took quite a few Swedish players with high picks (Jonas Brodin, Joel Eriksson Ek, Johan Larsson, Gustav Olofsson, Filip Johansson) in drafts headed by Fletcher and/or Flahr. However, there’s a decent chance Broberg isn’t even available at No. 11; McKenzie ranked him at No. 15, but there are a few teams in the back-half of the top 10 that could plausibly pick a defenseman. If he’s there, however, I suspect the Flyers would think long and hard about nabbing him.

Peyton Krebs — center/wing, WHL

Crossing Broad’s Anthony San Filippo reported weeks ago on the Snow the Goalie podcast that Krebs is the Flyers’ top target. While I haven’t heard anything nearly that concrete, Krebs is absolutely the kind of player Philadelphia scouts tend to love.

Last Monday, when asked about the recent news that Krebs suffered a partial Achilles tear, Flahr raved about the forward’s makeup, calling him “an unbelievable kid character-wise” and praising his drive. This came just minutes after Fletcher said that players possessing “intangibles, with the hockey sense, and the drive and the work ethic” have long been highly valued by Flyers scouts. It wasn’t tough to connect the two descriptions.

Krebs’ raw stats — 68 points in 64 games — don’t pop, but it’s important to note that his WHL team (Kootenay Ice) was absolutely awful. As a pass-first forward, he had point production that was especially deflated by his low-quality teammates, who often failed to finish off golden opportunities he set up for them. Krebs plays at a high pace, has great vision and is relentless on the ice — all characteristics highly valued by the Flyers. And, as Flahr implied, they’ll also love his character. Despite playing on an awful club, Krebs’ effort never flagged, as he admirably fulfilled his duties as team captain.

However, there is the complicating factor of the Achilles injury. Flahr didn’t sound concerned when asked about it, and if Krebs truly is their target, the injury could actually serve as a blessing in disguise for the Flyers. Word around the industry is that it won’t drop Krebs that far Friday, but he was projected to be selected in the 8 to 10 range before the injury. In other words, he needs to drop only a couple of spots to be available at No. 11.

Victor Söderström — defenseman, SHL (Sweden)

If the non-Byram defenseman who the Flyers have in their top 10 isn’t Broberg, Söderström strikes me as another likely possibility.

In many ways, he’s the anti-Broberg. While his Swedish counterpart is attractive as a high pick mostly due to his ridiculously high ceiling, Söderström has an extremely high floor. His skills should make for a useful, complementary NHL defenseman fairly easily, but there’s legitimate debate about whether he possesses the kind of upside to justify a selection close to the top 10.

As I noted in The Athletic’s NHL beat writer mock draft, Söderström makes sense as a Flyers target for a number of reasons. He fits the current defense’s stylistic needs perfectly, as he’s a steady, right-handed blueliner with strong puck skills who prides himself on his defense, not necessarily on taking huge offensive risks. It’s easy to see him sliding in next to players such as Provorov, Sanheim or Shayne Gostisbehere long term. Söderström held his own in the SHL — either the third- or fourth-best pro league in the world — in his draft year, indicating it won’t take much time for him to be NHL-ready, which fits the Flyers’ pivot to more of a win-now approach. Finally, he plays for Brynäs, and the Flyers have drafted a number of players from that club in recent years (Oskar Lindblom, Felix Sandström, Samuel Ersson, Marcus Westfält). There’s a high degree of familiarity.

The big question with Söderström centers on his upside: If he’s not going to be the type of player who can drive a pairing, is he worth taking at No. 11? But for the Flyers specifically, he makes a lot of sense.

Alex Newhook — center/wing, BCHL

There are two primary reasons I could see Newhook as the pick Friday. The first is logistical: It seems a safe bet he’ll be available at No. 11, which is far less of a guarantee with players such as Broberg or Krebs (Söderström also should be available there). Second, Newhook checks off the “high-character” box with ease — while still providing big-time upside.

Maturity, leadership skills, work ethic — Newhook has those characteristics in spades. But before you start thinking this is another middle-sixer with plus intangibles, know that he’s one of the quickest skaters in the draft and was viewed as a potential top-five pick by some before the 2018-19 season. If Newhook hits, there’s first-liner upside, whether it be at center or wing.

The big concern is his quality of competition, which makes Newhook tougher to evaluate. He torched the BCHL (102 points in 53 games) but so did Tyson Jost (2016 10th overall pick by the Avalanche), who’s yet to prove he’s much more than a depth piece at the NHL level. The BCHL is far superior to, say, the U.S. high school system, but Jay O’Brien just last year reminded the Flyers of the risks of assuming an attractive skill set will rapidly translate to a higher level.

That said, Newhook excelled in the under-18 World Championships after the season concluded (largely playing wing), which eased some of the competition concerns. I haven’t heard much “smoke” surrounding the Flyers and their interest in him, but Newhook is the type of player they’ve historically liked.

A forward who unexpectedly falls

Jack Hughes and Kappo Kakko are almost certainly going 1-2 Friday night. Center Alex Turcotte and defenseman Bowen Byram seem like locks to go somewhere in the top five. But things could get weird beyond those assumptions.

Kirby Dach, Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras, Matthew Boldy, Cole Caufield and Vasili Podkolzin are generally viewed as top-10 talents. But any of them could fall to No. 11, in a similar scenario to the 2018 draft, when Oliver Wahlstrom and Noah Dobson dropped out of the top 10 and were subsequently snatched up by the Islanders. It just takes one team falling in love with a defenseman and suddenly the entire complexion of the first round changes.

Out of the above group, I’m most skeptical that Dach slips — teams throughout the top 10 appear to love his upside. And I have doubts the Flyers would take the plunge on Podkolzin, as Fletcher doesn’t have a track record of taking Russian players with high picks and was recently burned with Kirill Kaprizov.

Boldy and Caufield seem like the most likely to fall. Boldy’s lack of a high-end skating gear and his status as a natural wing may drop him down on some draft boards; McKenzie actually has him at No. 11. With Caufield, it’s all about his size (he’s 5-foot-7) and whether that scares enough teams off. Caufield feels like the top 10’s biggest wild card; he could be snapped up in the top five or drop into the teens, and no one would bat an eye.

I suspect the Flyers would be severely tempted if either slipped to them.

My preferred approach

I’m far from a draft prospect expert, so I’d advise readers to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I’m asked “What do you think the Flyers should do?” so it’s worth explaining how I view their options at No. 11.

In my opinion, the draft shapes up in a fairly clear-cut manner for the Flyers. Hughes and Kakko are irrelevant for them, forming a top tier of their own that Philadelphia will never reach. I see Turcotte and Byram in a second tier — neither is making it to 11.

After those four players, however, I see a seven-man Tier 3 consisting of only forwards: Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, and Dach. I believe the post-Byram tier of defensemen (consisting of Broberg, Söderström, Cam York, Moritz Seider, Thomas Harley and Ville Heinola) is a cut below those forwards, and therefore they wouldn’t be my preferred options.

The Flyers are guaranteed to be staring at one or more of my Tier 3 forwards, so the pick would be relatively straightforward if I were making it. If only one is available, go up to the podium and nab him. If more than one is on the board, the Flyers pick the highest-ranked forward on their list. In my estimation, they’re all pretty closely bunched together when you account for their respective strengths and weaknesses.

That said, every one of the players highlighted in this article is ranked in my top 20, so it’s nearly impossible for me to envision a scenario where the Flyers don’t exit Friday night with a very good prospect.

If Fletcher does indeed keep the pick, of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

My move...

I would try and trade back with the Canes...

Philadelphia logo #11

for 

Carolina logo #28

Carolina logo #37

or the Sens...

Philadelphia logo #11

for 

Ottawa logo #19

Ottawa logo #44

Just a thought in the early am....thoughts.

Not a fan. There will be a very good prospect available at 11 I believe and imo the drop off of talent in the late end of the first round is significant. However, my knowledge of the prospects is based on the first round only. If the scouting staff is crazy about two prospects in the late first early 2nd, then sure go for it. 

4 minutes ago, ctid said:

Not a fan. There will be a very good prospect available at 11 I believe and imo the drop off of talent in the late end of the first round is significant. However, my knowledge of the prospects is based on the first round only. If the scouting staff is crazy about two prospects in the late first early 2nd, then sure go for it. 

It would give them a chance to get a 2nd back they lost in a trade.

But it depends on who is there at #11 too.

I they go defenseman to help back fill the cupboards.

True. But also thinking about it more the sens trade back to 19 and 48 actually sounds intriguing....but I'd hate it if especially podolkzin, Caulfield, broberg are still sitting there at 11. Would not like trading back on not taking a chance on kreps, dach or boldy either..... Top 15 are really really good solid prospects with a good chance of solid NHL careers. Not necessarily top end NHL potential, but definitely solid pieces. I don't see that outside top 15 ish. I'd rather keep 11 than trade back just to get a 2nd round pick back.... Do it only if they have targeted players they really want

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

There could be lots of movement of mid-to-late 1st round picks as teams see players that they want either gone or still there. Could be very interesting. 

Definitely. Will be a very interesting draft tomorrow night. Anybody else starting to get worried about our rfa's not being signed yet?? They are the future and it's starting to worry me. But again don't know too much about rfa process 

2 minutes ago, ctid said:

Definitely. Will be a very interesting draft tomorrow night. Anybody else starting to get worried about our rfa's not being signed yet?? They are the future and it's starting to worry me. But again don't know too much about rfa process 

Need to get em signed before someone jumps in with an offer sheet...

9 minutes ago, ctid said:

No time or energy to worry about RFAs, what with all the time and energy devoted to worrying that our GM will trade away all our best prospects for the jock strap of a 44 year old has been.

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1