Flyers Interested in Luke Schenn

Guest Hexy27

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Could-Luke-Schenn-be-coming-to-Philly.html

Do the Flyers need a 4-5 defensman?

I think I am ok with the move if it is to replace Carle (who will be an UFA at the end of the season). We could fit him in under the cap. The question is what/who do you give up for this kind of move? Maybe it frees us up to trade Carle at the deadline?

I don't think you can exchange Carle for Schenn. Schenn will not provide anywhere near the offense that Carle does. That would leave Timo as pretty much the only puck moving d-man for the Flyers. I wouldn't mind seeing Schenn as a Flyer, but he's not really a replacement for Carle.

My problem is I don't want to give up much for him. he is signed for the next 4 years with a 3.6 mil cap hit and the he is averaging only 16 minutes a game of ice time. Yes he would be an upgrade to the 5/6 d man but that is a hell of a cost...(basing his time on ice for where he would fall on the depth chart)

My problem is I don't want to give up much for him. he is signed for the next 4 years with a 3.6 mil cap hit and the he is averaging only 16 minutes a game of ice time. Yes he would be an upgrade to the 5/6 d man but that is a hell of a cost...(basing his time on ice for where he would fall on the depth chart)

What's the deal with Schenn? Last year I thought he was becoming one of the Leaf's key guys, why has his ice time dropped? Is he in Wilson's dog house or something?

What's the deal with Schenn? Last year I thought he was becoming one of the Leaf's key guys, why has his ice time dropped? Is he in Wilson's dog house or something?

I don't follow the laffs so other than looking at the stats i don't know why....I do know that he is overpaid for his TOI at this point and might be able to be had for a very low cost..

@JackStraw - do I look like a Leafs fan? If you wanna know about Leafs players, go talk to Forbsy and those yahoos. Just kidding, of course.

His numbers don't provide much of a clue. He actually leads all their D-men in plus/minus (statistically inaccurate stat!!!).

My hunch: he might just not be that good.

But who knows, a change of scenery might be just what the doctor ordered.

@JackStraw - do I look like a Leafs fan? If you wanna know about Leafs players, go talk to Forbsy and those yahoos. Just kidding, of course.

His numbers don't provide much of a clue. He actually leads all their D-men in plus/minus (statistically inaccurate stat!!!).

My hunch: he might just not be that good.

But who knows, a change of scenery might be just what the doctor ordered.

I've always thought he looked pretty good when I've (cough) watched the Leafs (cough). I know that some of our regular posters have expressed some desire for him in the past (in a manly way I mean). He's young, he's physical, why would the Leafs want to get rid of him? He actually seems like just what the Flyers need- a solid, physical, stay at home defenseman with a reasonable salary.

No doubt Carle is lost without Pronger. If the move can be made without breaking the bank do it. I make this statement without check ing his + / - ?

Carle is having one of his best years, mostly without Pronger. In fact, Schenn is the kind of stay at home, defense-first type guy that you would ideally want to pair with Carle.

He actually seems like just what the Flyers need- a solid, physical, stay at home defenseman with a reasonable salary

I suppose. He can't shoot for sh!t though. Plus there's the 4 years of Leaf stench all over him to consider...

I suppose. He can't shoot for sh!t though. Plus there's the 4 years of Leaf stench all over him to consider...

Yeah, no offense but with Bourdon and Mesz maybe that's ok. I would like at least one more solid defenseman who brings a physical presence back there, and his best years should be well in front of him. That said, on hfboards it's sounding like it would take a nice package to get him and I don't think I'd want to give up too much (JVR, Couter, Schenn, or such).

@JackStraw

I wasn't thinking of Schenn as a replacement for Carle as they are two different types of defensemen. I am wondering if they are interested in Schenn because they don't think they can sign Carle for the same cap hit. Carle make $3.4M and is likely looking for a raise in the off season. Schenn's hit is $3.5M for the next 4 years and that might be more palpable over time and might leave the team with the room they need to sign a 1/2 defensman.

I would definitely be interested in the elder Schenn. He is what this team desperately needs (a physical presence who will clear the crease and hit). He is also young enough and affordable enough to absorb his contract. I am not concerned with his TOI as I think it gets back into the 20+ minutes with the Flyers.

The only concern I do have is that it still doesn't supply the stud defenseman young enough to build a defense around and grow with the team the next 5 years. Personally I would prefer that if we were going to let Carle walk a much better replacement would be Suter from Nashville. His cap hit this season is 3.6 and would definitely be looking at minimum $5m a year, I think for the extra $1 - $2 million he gives you more then Schenn.

I think Toronto will want too much for Schenn, think about it...who will they ask for? no one from the Phantoms, not Harry Z or Rinaldo, they will want JVR. Is Schenn worth JVR? I would rather hold onto JVR for a potential deal for a guy like Webber. I think the guy we are scouting is Cody Franson, i know he was a top prospect for Nashville and he is a big guy, anyone seen him play?

What have you seen of Cody Franson ?, he is a big guy like 6ft 5, 230, I know he was a good prospect for Nashville and Toronto got him gor nothing. I havent seen him play much , is he a good 5th or 6th guy for us, of course not at the price of JVR, I dont think were getting Schenn because Burke will try to fleece us like he did for Versteeg.So ithink we may be looking at Franson or a low priced guy like that