Flyers Interested in Luke Schenn

Guest Hexy27

I seriously hope it's not a Schenn swap.

I am still pissed about getting fleeced on KV.

To be fair, if we had the KV that is playing in Florida this year, we wouldn't be complaining. I think it was the adjustment time, bad lockerroom, and his sports hernia.

@brelic

This is very true. However, even at the time it was a little steep. I also didn't get why we had KV and Leino on the same team. In Lavy's system they are one in the same [to me that is].

In any case, I really hope Holmgren holds his picks this year due to the depth of the draft.

No doubt Carle is lost without Pronger.

And I keep the coaching staff entirely responsible for this. It really looks like they almost forgot about Carle, instead of working on helping him succeed without Pronger. The guy has some strenghts. He is a decent skater, has a good shot and knows how to take the body. He just needs to maximize his work without the puck and I feel confident he would be just fine. But these coaches don't seem to be working with players - not enough anyways - to help them get the most out of themselves. There is just no way players like Coburn and Carle should be struggling so badly.

Am I the only one who is fairly happy with Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros this year? I think they make a fantastic #2-4 dmen corps. They all have the ability to jump up in the play and be "2 way" dmen. I still feel we need a true #1 if/when Timo/Pronger are gone of course (PLEASE be Weber or Suter even!)

I have duly noted the many words on Carle. I will watch him more closely in upcoming games. He is a good skater and needs to jump up into the play a little more often. I also feel I have not heard his name duriing the broadcasts?

@RonJeremy

JvR has been in a slump so every GM in the league is trying to steal him. I think Homer is smarter than that. Jack Johnson for JvR is a stretch. Luke Schenn for JvR is a joke.

totally agree. JVRs slump to me makes him expendable but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value. No way he just gets given away

Am I the only one who is fairly happy with Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros this year?

no, not the only one. i was just going, "huh?" to maddog's post about carle and coburn struggling so badly when i saw your post.

there are team-defense issues, forwards not covering where they need to cover and such, but i haven't seen a real problem from the dcorps itself. the bottom pair is definitely a bottom pair, but that isn't unusual. i think the top 4 have been pretty solid.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 1

What's the deal with Schenn? Last year I thought he was becoming one of the Leaf's key guys, why has his ice time dropped? Is he in Wilson's dog house or something?

Its a good question. I haven't watched them either, but just perusing the TOI and game log it looks as if Jake Gardiner (21 y/o) and recent call up Keith Aulie (22 y/o) have surpassed him on the depth chart. Gardiner 20:30 a game and Aulie plays 19 - 20 minutes (last 4 games). John Michael-Liles is on injured reserve with concussion like symptoms since dec 23. He was in the top 4 pairing.

The biggest difference with Schenn this year and last year is he was getting 18+ minutes even strength last year (top pairing minutes) and now has dropped down to 14+ minutes. Also last year he was on 1st unit PK and 2nd unit PP. This year he is on 2nd unit PK and no PP time.

So, certainly looks like he has regressed in the trust that Wilson has in him.

@Vanflyer - well, the rumor seems to be getting some traction:

http://www.thestar.com/article/1114520--are-the-flyers-interested-in-Leafs-defenceman-luke-schenn

and they were just talking about it during intermission on the Flyers broadcast. Tocchet said that Homer and Burke have a relationship and that "the pieces fit on this one".

Am I the only one who is fairly happy with Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros this year? I think they make a fantastic #2-4 dmen corps. They all have the ability to jump up in the play and be "2 way" dmen. I still feel we need a true #1 if/when Timo/Pronger are gone of course (PLEASE be Weber or Suter even!)

I'm with you on this entirely.

@JackStraw

Interesting. Only played 2 shifts in the third in their last game? Whats the story with his decreased playing time and lack of trust by wilson??

That said, he is only 22 (the fact checker on that article needs help, they said schenn is 21), and just last year was playing top pairing minutes. I like the fact that he led the league in hits last year and is second this year (as long as he is not the second coming of dan mcgillis).

I guess the one problem I have with it is who is going to take his LW spot?? I don't really see anyone down on the farm with that capability.

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer - well, the rumor seems to be getting some traction:

http://www.thestar.c...-interested-in-Leafs-defenceman-luke-schenn

and they were just talking about it during intermission on the Flyers broadcast. Tocchet said that Homer and Burke have a relationship and that "the pieces fit on this one".

I heard that during the game and would not be at all surprised if it goes down today or before tomorrow's game.

@Vanflyer

I too am concerned with who will fill the void on LW if JvR is moved. JvR also looks much better with Schenn and Simmonds as linemates. I would imagine Read will have to fill the void, but I am worried that he does not fit the make up of that line. Perhaps Talbot could be plugged into that line.

I could see lines like this should it go down:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Read-Briere-Voracek

Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds

Harry Z- Couturier- Rinaldo

Timmo-Coburn

Carle-Bourdon

Mezzaros-Schenn

I do see the gaping problem on the left wing especially the lack of naturally positioned LW'ers.

To me Schenn is a big gamble at his age, but could really pan out. I do recall the hype that surrounded the guy over the summer. It was like the city of Toronto had him planning the parade route.

Now if we could get Toronto to bite and Bryzgalov to waive his NTC, we could convince him to go to Toronto. Tell him that he'll be the most expensive back up in the league if he doesn't go.

We send Bryzgalov and they send the Flyers Schenn and Reimer.

I know, one can dream right?

Edited by Bertmega

@Bertmega

You lost me when you got to sending Bryz but ... ;)

But I think Harry Z has proven that he can stay in the lineup. Sestito can fill in also.

I'd put Talbot back with Briere and leave Read with Schenn/Simmonds.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Read-Briere-Voracek

Talbot-Schenn-Simmonds

Harry Z- Couturier- Rinaldo

Timmo-Coburn

Carle-Bourdon

Mezzaros-Schenn

I had high hopes for JVR after his play last season/playoffs. He definitely shows some glimpses of greatness but our weakness right now is d. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on Giving up JVR for Schenn, I think we could get someone better using that chip (Suter? Weber?) I'd definitely take Luke Schenn on the team though.

From Seravalli's article:

Interestingly, Burke joined The Fan 590 AM in Toronto on Wednesday and confirmed that he does have a possible trade boiling on the burner. Burke also said he would not be against “trading a 22-year-old of one position for a 22-year-old of another position.”

OK, Burkie, we get it. You and Homer are talking JVR for Schenn. If you're dropping lines like that, just stop pretending and say their names outright.

I'm still hoping this deal will be bigger, something like JVR, cap filler, and Blake Kessel (balance's sake - we get the Schenns, they get the Kessels) for Schenn and Kulemin/Kadri/(or someone like that), but it looks pretty clear that this is the basis of what they're discussing.

Homer is in a constant state of PANIC! The Flyer's locker room needs to add a sports medicine mental health professional,regular visits are mandatory for the guys,support staff,and management. I noticed Homer's erratic behavior last summer when he signed BRYZO,next he mysteriously crashed his bike(really makes you wonder) in Avalon. I don't know what is going on,but really hoping its not Dejavu all over again.

Here's an update from ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13788/rumblings-montreal-moves-cammalleri-bs-devils-wild-have-tough-decisions

I can confirm reports that Philadelphia and Toronto have chatted over the past week. The Leafs have long coveted winger James van Riemsdyk. Sources on both teams, however, told ESPN.com Thursday that nothing was close to imminent on any deal. The Flyers' top priority is to get help on defense, and it just so happens that's where Toronto has extra bodies. Still, as I reported earlier this week, Philly's top name on its shopping list is Suter. Tim Gleason of the Hurricanes also interests the Flyers.

Off topic, JVR played just over 10 minutes yesterday, with 1:58 of TOI in the 2nd period.

@brelic

I noticed his ice time was down too. And from what I saw of him, he looked ok. Had some good passing, puck movement, a set-up or two.

I honestly think that if he is moved, it will be before the All Star break.

I agree with 90% of the board when I say if he is moved it should be for a little more than Schenn.