Flyers Interested in Luke Schenn

Guest Hexy27

@Vanflyer - I liked Barts. He's not flashy at any one thing. I think his confidence was/is shattered. He seemed to be paralysed out there, making mistake after mistake. It's not unthinkable or implausible that he could regain it at some point. Bourdon has performed beyond my expectations, but he still makes his share of mistakes, especially ill-advised pinches at times.

Here's my fear: it's the Leaf vs the Flyers in the 2014 ECF and watching JvR finally "get it" and work Luke Schenn like he was named black and decker down low and on the rush. Toronto wins ... ick.

after watching moneyball, you can just never know what a guy's ceiling is though; and maybe JvR winds up like Billy Beane the baseball player and we win the trade.

Here's my fear: it's the Leaf vs the Flyers in the 2014 ECF and watching JvR finally "get it" and work Luke Schenn like he was named black and decker down low and on the rush. Toronto wins ... ick.

after watching moneyball, you can just never know what a guy's ceiling is though; and maybe JvR winds up like Billy Beane the baseball player and we win the trade.

And maybe, instead of your scenario, JVR comes down along the wing, and tries to cut to the middle, and Schenn drops him like a ragdoll.

And if both end up awesome, I think we win because we addressed a need, and #1 defensemen are more valuable and harder to find than top line wingers.

@brelic

I know bre, just going from recent experience as a fan you know, sharp, fedotenko, williams, blah blah blah,

we do need to address the age of the defensive anchors, and i agree if they both blossom we win, the unknown is just so... you know unknown. :)

@brelic

I know bre, just going from recent experience as a fan you know, sharp, fedotenko, williams, blah blah blah,

we do need to address the age of the defensive anchors, and i agree if they both blossom we win, the unknown is just so... you know unknown. :)

Oh I know :) But we have had trades turn out in our favour too. Lindros, Leclair, Carter/RIchards so far, Pronger (I mean, we went to the freakin' SCFs!). I'd say the only one in your list that bothers me is Sharp, because it was a totally unnecessary trade. The other two were made to address needs.

and #1 defensemen are more valuable and harder to find than top line wingers

Maybe, but Schenn (who I do like) will never be a #1 defenseman. He will never have the offensive game. Best case is he turns out to be a legit shut down D-man, maybe a Hatcher type.

He hits more than Coburn, he led the league in hits last year I think. Maybe not quite as nasty as Hatch, but then not many are.

Yes he hits more then Coburn but he's as inconsistent as Coburn now and I don't want 2 of them on the same team. Coburn is enough to get me going already lol. I just don't see how Schenn can improve here as we have Coburn, Mez and Carle that can't get it togther here. I want a solid or establish dman not one base on potential if we're giving up JVR.

Maybe, but Schenn (who I do like) will never be a #1 defenseman. He will never have the offensive game. Best case is he turns out to be a legit shut down D-man, maybe a Hatcher type.

I'm not sure how you can say that about a 22 year old. JVR may be just as much a bust as Schenn. Or, he may live up to his potential and become a top line winger. A defenseman doesn't need to be offensive to be a top pairing guy. He would be a shutdown, crease-clearing, hitting guy who occasionally chips in the points, and eats up lots of minutes. That's the scouting report on his potential.

Again, we're not giving up on JVR. It's no different than if we trade Bob for a piece we need.. we;re not giving up on him, only using that chip to our advantage.

Right now, on this team, this year, JVR is expendable.

I don't really disagree with that, I would want more than Schenn if we're giving up JVR.

I'm not sure that JVR is worth much more than Schenn alone. Maybe Johnson, as we've heard floated around.

But do you want to give up JVR, another roster player (probably a defenseman like Gustafsson as mentioned in an article this morning), and a #1 pick for Weber?

And on top of that, have Weber making $7.5M per year for 7+ years? I admit I don't watch Weber very much, if at all, so I can only assume he's as good as people say he is.

You get a world-class talent in return, so that is definitely a win. I just don't think it will happen. Too many teams will be in on the bidding for those two guys, and the price will be very high.

@brelic

I think Weber is worth the price and salary. I say he's the package that we have been looking for. Young, going into his prime, PP QB, righthanded shot, plays physical and logs big minutes. I think he would sign a deal similiar to Doughty. As for salaries to work JVR's 4mil cap hit next year plus Carle or Jagr should cover it, after next season Timo's cap hit comes off and we should be more flexable to get whatever else we need.

I'm not sure how you can say that about a 22 year old. JVR may be just as much a bust as Schenn. Or, he may live up to his potential and become a top line winger. A defenseman doesn't need to be offensive to be a top pairing guy. He would be a shutdown, crease-clearing, hitting guy who occasionally chips in the points, and eats up lots of minutes. That's the scouting report on his potential.

Again, we're not giving up on JVR. It's no different than if we trade Bob for a piece we need.. we;re not giving up on him, only using that chip to our advantage.

Right now, on this team, this year, JVR is expendable.

I say that because there is nothing in Schenn's play since he's been in the NHL, or in his scouting reports (that I can remember) that suggests he will ever provide much in the way of offense. Top pairing maybe, but you said #1. A #1 defenseman is more than a shutdown guy, he has to bring it at both ends. Heck, Mike Green is a #1 guy and he only brings it at one end, but it's the offensive end. A few years ago Coburn was on the top pair with Timo, would you trade JVR for Coburn of a few years ago (or even the Coburn of now)? JVR has shown that he can dominate games. Not consistently but often enough to make him a very desirable commodity in the NHL. And just to be clear, I'm not saying that I wouldn't want Schenn on the Flyers. Just that I don't think JVR for Schenn straight up is equal value.

I say that because there is nothing in Schenn's play since he's been in the NHL, or in his scouting reports (that I can remember) that suggests he will ever provide much in the way of offense. Top pairing maybe, but you said #1. A #1 defenseman is more than a shutdown guy, he has to bring it at both ends. Heck, Mike Green is a #1 guy and he only brings it at one end, but it's the offensive end. A few years ago Coburn was on the top pair with Timo, would you trade JVR for Coburn of a few years ago (or even the Coburn of now)? JVR has shown that he can dominate games. Not consistently but often enough to make him a very desirable commodity in the NHL. And just to be clear, I'm not saying that I wouldn't want Schenn on the Flyers. Just that I don't think JVR for Schenn straight up is equal value.

Fair points. And for the record, I'm not arguing that I would prefer Schenn over Weber or Suter. But of the two Nasvhille guys, Weber is the one we should really be after because he's a true #1. He hits, he puts up points, and he's defensively sound. He's also going to cost a lot, and we'll be one team in a bidding war. Poile has more leverage with Weber because he'll be an RFA. He doesn't have to do anything.

Suter is a UFA, but he's not really a physical defenseman. He might be a top pairing guy, but very different from Weber. And again, I'm only talking from what I've heard and read, because I can't say I actually watch these guys with any regularity. Same with Schenn, though I have seen him quite a bit more.

JVR has shown less than a handful of times that he can dominate games. And really, there was ONE incredible game against Boston, where he played 28 minutes and was all over the ice and scoreboard. Far more often, he has been inconsistent and a non-factor. Compare that to Giroux, for example, who was picked much later in the first round, but even when he wasn't putting up points, you could just tell that he had something special. I don't really see that with JVR. Hell, Couturier has proven much more valuable than JVR has ever been.

That being said, I don't dislike JVR, nor do I think he's a bust. But given our assets, he seems to be the most logical one to move.

It comes down to what the cost would be for Weber. Not only do you have to weigh the cost versus the return, but also the lengthy contract that he's likely to get. Do we want to add yet another stupid contract on our books? Nevermind that he's "worth" it. So is Giroux. But no player is immune from long term injury, unmotivated play, etc.

Weber would be my top choice. The Flyers, apparently, think Suter is their top choice, but that's probably posturing. And the whole Schenn/JVR thing could have been posturing as well for either the Leafs, the Flyers, or both.

Maybe it comes down to my view of JVR, which is more pessimistic, and has me thinking that if we can move him and get a solid return based on his "potential", it's better than if he doesn't reach it and loses trade value.

But, when Jagr leaves, there will be a hole in the top 6 unless you move Schenn or Briere to wing, and have G, Schenn, Couturier, and Talbot as our 4 centers.

It will be an interesting deadline in any case ;)