According to 4th period website LA offered Jack Johnson for JVR

Guest RonJeremy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im never up late enough for West Coast hockey, anyone get to see Jack Johnson play, is he wat we are looking for. HOw is his defensive play, physical play, offensive skill ?

"offered" as in the past, or has recently offered up Johnson? I would love to have Johnson here.

here's the article:

January 8, 2012 | 11:29am ET

WIZARD OF WESTWOOD?

TheFourthPeriod.com

While images of James van Riemsdyk and Drew Stafford dance in Los Angeles Kings' fans heads, a lesser known but as productive veteran winger has risen to the top of the list of GM Dean Lombardi.

Ray Whitney, the 39-year-old left wing and Phoenix Coyotes leading scorer has been a long time favorite of Lombardi, and apparently the same interest that existed in two seasons ago has resurfaced.

At the time, the Kings were in talks to acquire the 355 goal career goal scorer from the Carolina Hurricanes, but Whitney's refusal to ink an extension scuttled the deal.

With the Kings last in the league in offense and the Coyotes about to face a six game, nine day stretch that includes two against the Detroit Red Wings, Phoenix may fall further from their 11th place standing in the tough NHL Western Conference.

While Whitney has a no-movement clause, a trade within the division and a short commute to the West Coast contender could work for the Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta native.

Though he plays in Coyotes coach Dave Tippett's defensive minded system, the man nicknamed "The Wizard" has outscored the likes of Washington's Alex Ovechkin and New Jersey's Ilya Kovalchuk through this weekend's play.

The Kings need for a scoring left wing became more acute with the injury news reported by Rich Hammond, the author of LA Kings Insider blog on Friday. The posting noted that a source close to the situation conveyed that the injured Simon Gagne was not close to returning and remarked that long term injured reserve could be an option for his roster spot and salary.

Jack Johnson has been dangled as trade bait for the aforementioned Buffalo and Philadelphia wingers, the bounty for Whitney would likely be no more than a conditional pick or a prospect as a rental (Whitney becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1) and the financial strapped Coyotes would save at least $1 million depending how early the trigger was pulled on the deal.

Additionally, Kings rookie defenseman Slava Voynov, the heir apparent should Johnson be dealt, has raised concerns regarding his durability with recent absences due to injury.

Voynov has proven he is an 18 to 20 minute night NHL defenseman, but his absence from the Kings' Saturday afternoon against Columbus was his sixth in the team's last 12 matches and has lessened the likelihood of dealing Johnson.

MORE TRADE DEADLINE INFO

Did you factor in Carle is gone next year also 3.5 mill??

There's no "factoring in" - those are the numbers regardless if Carle re-signs here or not.

I like Johnson, just not sure about the deal through 2018. Long-term deals have not been terribly kind in this league...

There's no "factoring in" - those are the numbers regardless if Carle re-signs here or not.

I like Johnson, just not sure about the deal through 2018. Long-term deals have not been terribly kind in this league...

I can live with a 5 year deal.

I can live with a 5 year deal.

It's six years. Starting next season...

It's not "awful" but I haven't been blown away by Johnson, despite him being the #3 overall pick.

And, of course, for playing NCAA hockey instead of Junior...

am i the only one who's not FOR acquiring johnson? he's a serious minus player of late. i don't think he'll just up and become a norris contender because he's on OUR team. i do not want him. there's a reason LA has been dangling him. he's expendable and their looking for suckers to bite.

Im never up late enough for West Coast hockey, anyone get to see Jack Johnson play, is he wat we are looking for. HOw is his defensive play, physical play, offensive skill ?

I like what I've seen of him and it seems like a fair trade, with the exception of the contract. Still, I believe LA would be getting the better player in the deal. If the Flyers do it, it may say something about their expectations for Pronger's recovery because I'm pretty sure they are trying to figure out how to resign Carle.

am i the only one who's not FOR acquiring johnson? he's a serious minus player of late. i don't think he'll just up and become a norris contender because he's on OUR team. i do not want him. there's a reason LA has been dangling him. he's expendable and their looking for suckers to bite.

Probably the same reason we'd be dangling JVR. Maybe a change of scenery for both would be good.

Homer could dangle Giroux around the league and wait for offers. Homer tends to get hornswaggled frequently.(Versteig) The club has finally assembled a good youthful nucleus,that is what you need to win. Be patient!

What did he give up for Versteeg ? A draft pick and what ?

This team needs to address it's defense corps, JJ is a good player that should be considered in a straight up trade for JvR. There's no fleecing either way in my estimation . Both players have potential and address the trade partner's needs

Isnt Jack Johnson supposed to be a big tough guy? We do need a big physical defensive stalwart, but we also need a buy to QB the PP. Several of our dmen can move the puck, but other than Mez, no one has a decent point shot at all. Our PP is not doing much and our dmen are not scoring many goals.

Isnt Jack Johnson supposed to be a big tough guy? We do need a big physical defensive stalwart, but we also need a buy to QB the PP. Several of our dmen can move the puck, but other than Mez, no one has a decent point shot at all. Our PP is not doing much and our dmen are not scoring many goals.

My mistake on JJ - sorry. Otherwise agree on your post. In my opinion Coburn has a hard shot, not very accurate but can be used on point during PP. JVR also could be point guy has tremendous shot, would like to see him shoots more.