8 Spits ranked for 2012 draft

Guest jammer2

highest total in the CHL. Once again, Windsor is the must see destination for NHL scouts. I tell ya, Warren Rychel is the best evaluataor of talent out there. He signed this undrafted kid from a Michigan high school, Ben Johnson....he is now ranked in or around the 3rd round....amazing. The once highly touted Nick Ebert has slipped on 70th in North America, but is ranked all over the place by different scouting organizations. The one that really gets me is Brady Vail, now ranked 32nd among NA skaters. He was the Spits 4th round pick last year. He looked like a weak ugly duckling last year....lmao. Wow has he developed, I totally dismissed him as an NHL prospect...what a difference a year can make.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/01/11/eight-spitfires-ranked-for-nhl-draft-makes-team-a-must-see-for-scouts/

@blocker No block have never scouted. But, I did grow around Windsor Arena/the OHL and met all kinds of NHL scouts. Back in the late 70's and early 80's when pro scouts came to Windsor Arena to scout games I would pick their brains on certain draft elegible players.....giving me key insight on how scouts think and what they watch for. Then, once a dialogue would open up I would give them my thoughts on their orgs top 10 prospects (knew this stuff right off the top of my head as a kid..lol). We would place friendly wagers on who would make it or not etc....I was right often enough a lot of scouts came to respect my opinion and ask what I thought of so and so, how he played in games they had not attended etc......so maybe a scouts helper? ha ha...

@Vanflyer Ebert got hurt by an early slump....the points are coming easier now. Also, as you know, a pp d man is dependant on having elite quality forwards around him to distribute the puck to....Windsor has gone so young, traded so many vets they have a real thin crop of game changing forwards....this has directly affected Eberts production. He needs to work on his defense also. Honestly, I've never really been impressed with him....just steady, does nothing spectacular, no particular skill set jumps out at you. Reminds me of a smaller Mike Weber.....minus a bit of the defensive instinct.

@jammer2

Gotcha. Here is ISS latest on Ebert:

Nick Ebert, D, Windsor Spitfires

A serious decline in his offensive effectiveness and questions about his commitment and work ethic have affected the appeal of Ebert, who was once believed to be among the elite prospects in this draft. The stall of his development at this point is a real reason for concern and unless he can right the ship quickly he is danger of falling far down the draft depth chart. It is highly unlikely that he will fall completely off the draft board, but the questions that have come up surround him lately have at least made that a conversation piece and it is definitely a situation worth keeping tabs on. With that being said, Ebert has the talent and potential that if he can improve his efforts and consistency he could rise even faster than he falls.

What do you think of Griffin Reinhart? I know he is not in the OHL (WHL), but thought you might had a chance to watch him play. I hear mixed things. On one hand, they say the next potential Shea Weber, on the other he looks clumsy and disinterested.

@Vanflyer - I trust the ISS reports, or at least used to (the organization has changed in recent years), enough to not draft Ebert based on that.

I might look to the WHL for D-men come June. There ain't nothing quite like the general disposition of a big farm boy.

@Vanflyer - I trust the ISS reports, or at least used to (the organization has changed in recent years), enough to not draft Ebert based on that.

I might look to the WHL for D-men come June. There ain't nothing quite like the general disposition of a big farm boy.

Here is the December ISS write-up on WHL top draft eligible. Reinhart has moved up to #3.

3. Griffin Reinhart, D - Edmonton Oil Kings

6'4, 200 pounds. January 24, 1994

Already considered NHL-ready in terms of size, Griffen Reinhart may be in the best position among our Top 10 for a lengthy playoff run. His Edmonton Oil Kings are the hottest team in the WHL right now, having won 10 of their last 11 games heading into the Christmas break. Reinhart has chipped in with seven goals and 11 assists and a plus-10 rating in 27 games this season, and is well on his way to achieving career highs in each of these statistical categories.

Like many prospects who grow quickly at a young age, there are often personal physical battles that become challenging aspects associated with overall development, particularly balance, fatigue, coordination and mobility. Playing alongside Mark Pysyk (BUF) and Keegan Lowe (CAR) on the blue line in Edmonton will surely aid in fast-tracking his development. ISS has Reinhart pegged 12th in its December rankings, and fourth among WHL defensemen Should he remain healthy on an ever-improving Oil Kings team this season, his ranking will likely also improve.

Last season, Reinhart's brothers Max, 19, and Sam, 16, were teammates in Cranbrook, British Columbia as the Kootenay Ice won the WHL Championship and attended the 2011 Memorial Cup. From West Vancouver, Reinhart is the son of prolific NHL defenseman Paul Reinhart, who played over 700 games during 11 seasons split between the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks.

ISS link for top 10 WHL: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13538/top10_nhl_drafteligible_whl_prospects_for2012/

Here is Hockey Scouts Dan Sallows write up. (I think he mostly a junior scout, not sure):

I am a huge Griffin Reinhart fan, as I have followed him since his days with the Hollyburn Tier 1 Huskies. The hulking defenseman has it all, size and skill, and does so many good things on the ice. He moves incredibly well for a big guy, has a cannon-like shot, makes clean, crisp first passes, never panics with the puck, and loves getting physically engaged. He has the same make-up of Nashville’s Shea Weber, and the bloodlines as well, as his father is former NHL great Paul Reinhart. If he goes anywhere past the top-7 in next years NHL Entry draft, I’d be shocked."

ISS has Reinhart going 12 overall. Dan has him at #4. I would tend to go with ISS ranking.

We have three second round picks this year. The draft is deep. Do we try and package those picks plus our number one to move up and get him, or just take all players with our pick? I mean christ he is 17 years old and 6'4 200lbs!!!

@Vanflyer Wow, I had no idea it was Paul Rienhart's kid....used to love watching his dad perform. Nice mix of grit and skill from the back end. Sounds like his kid will be a good one. Should be interesting to see where he finally gets drafted. Thanks for the heads up, will watch his progression.

@Vanflyer Wow, I had no idea it was Paul Rienhart's kid....used to love watching his dad perform. Nice mix of grit and skill from the back end. Sounds like his kid will be a good one. Should be interesting to see where he finally gets drafted. Thanks for the heads up, will watch his progression.

Paul was nearly a PPG player (both regular season and playoffs) with the sandpaper that you mentioned. The only thing I am wondering is if the missus got a little some some on the side for Griffin. I mean paul was only 5'11. Where does the 6'4 come from with Griffin? ha ha

Seriously, I will be keeping my eye on him too. I want us to nab one of the top tier d-men coming out of this draft. The only thing with griffin is that he is still very young and so despite being physically NHL ready, would more than likely still need development time before being able to contribute to the big club. Yet, if he is of a Shea Weber type player, that could be very well worth the wait.