Game 78: Flyers at Hurricanes: 3/30/19 @ 1:30

Howie58

Greetings:

We are underdogs heading into this matchup:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1170306/philadelphia-flyers-vs-carolina-hurricanes-prediction-2019-03-30/

Historically, we've done well against this team, but we're O-2 against them this year:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Carolina_Hurricanes

The Canes' speed presents our team with problems. I hope Mr. Talbot isn't too rusty.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Howie58 said:

The Canes' speed presents our team with problems.

Yeah long gone are the days of walking all over this team.

Very strange how the shoe is on the other foot the last few years.

Sad how a few of the teams that the Flyers use to walk all over like the Panthers, Bolts and Canes always hand the Flyer's their asses now.

How do they get back to their winning ways?? Will they ever??

Dear Occ:

You are right...I remember going to Panthers' games against the Flyers and gloating over big wins.  Now we get humbled.

I keep talking about the DNA.  Has this team been designed for winning in the "New NHL?"  I think not.  And I am really concerned that our prospects aren't what they've been cracked up to be.  

Best,

H

So for the Flyers to make the playoffs:

1. If the Flyers win out and get ten points in their final five games, they get in if two of the following three things happen:

- Columbus collects no more than one point in their final five games

- Montreal collects no more than one point in their final four games

- Carolina collects no points in their final five games

Easy peasy lemon squeezy........

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 28 Claude Giroux 
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jake Voracek
38 Ryan Hartman - 21 Scott Laughton - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl - 10 Corban Knight - 44 Phil Varone

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim 
5 Sam Morin - 61 Phil Myers 
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas

33 Cam Talbot
[37 Brian Elliott]

Scratches:53 Shayne Gostisbehere (healthy), Phil Varone (healthy), 27 Justin Bailey (healthy), 47 Andrew MacDonald (healthy), 72 Carter Hart (healthy), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body).

Hurricanes

21 Nino Niederreiter - 20 Sebastian Aho - 14 Justin Williams
37 Andrei Svechnikov - 11 Jordan Staal - 86 Teuvo Teravainen
79 Micheal Ferland - 71 Lucas Wallmark - 48 Jordan Martinook
8 Saku Maenalanen - 42 Greg McKegg --23 Brock McGinn

74 Jaccob Slavin - 19 Dougie Hamilton
22 Brett Pesce - 27 Justin Faulk
44 Calvin de Haan - 57 Trevor van Riemsdyk

34 Petr Mrazek
[35 Curtis McElhinney]

Scratches: 8 Saku Maenalanen (healthy)

Man I sure hope Oskar gets the dam turnovers out of his system I see his lineup mate Jake must have rubbed off on him.

He had more turnovers last game it seemed than all season.

Canes will make you pay if they play like that again.

So is it good Mrazek or bad Mrazek in goal for them?

I hope the latter.

Laughton would have had a clear had Ivan not stopped his stick thinking it was a Canes stick on the first goal....

...then wow Jake said f**k playing defense comes into the D zone but all he wanted to do was go the other way and peels out before anyone has the puck, then let's the Flyers get outnumbered down low between the dots...

...and a goal that's alot Jake you piece of sh it...

...to bad noone will call the star winger out.

I guess he gets a pass because he said the team choked. What the f**k ever his part of the problem. What are the kids supposed to think when they see his sorry ass not wanting to do the small things to ensure they win.

Can't wait till he is out of Philly I don't care how may points he scores.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man I sure hope Oskar gets the dam turnovers out of his system I see his lineup mate Jake must have rubbed off on him.

He had more turnovers last game it seemed than all season.

Canes will make you pay if they play like that again.

So is it good Mrazek or bad Mrazek in goal for them?

I hope the latter.

Greetings:

Amazing; he had a 3.3 GAA for us.  In Carolina he has been excellent.  Strange. 

Just now, Hockey-78 said:

The Player Of The Game - Petr Mrazek. Hands down.

Agreed!

Talbot wasn't bad.  Our D's quick lapse with 2 goals in a half minute was typical of the season.  Carolina has rebuilt a lot faster than the O and B.  Mrazek....glad for him.  Goalies come to Philly and go to pot.  This guy leaves and looks like Jacques Plante.  

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed!

Talbot wasn't bad.  Our D's quick lapse with 2 goals in a half minute was typical of the season.  Carolina has rebuilt a lot faster than the O and B.  Mrazek....glad for him.  Goalies come to Philly and go to pot.  This guy leaves and looks like Jacques Plante.  

Yeah, Talbot wasn't bad but I thought he really should saved that 3rd goal. At first glance it didn't look all that difficult.

3 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, Talbot wasn't bad but I thought he really should saved that 3rd goal. At first glance it didn't look all that difficult.

It looked like he might have been screened.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Agreed!

Hey Howie!

I know it feels like it sometimes, but not sure I agree in this case. They’ve missed the post season 9 straight years. 

I will say, however, that their team looks a lot more cohesive than ours. It was not a fun game to watch!

Bre:  Jeepers, that is a long run to go without playoffs.  We are now going seven without a playoff series win.   They had a Cup in 2006.  Our last one was '75....

Agreed--they have speed and coherence.  Per earlier post, this game was lost in a 30 second stretch.  We lost one last week in 1:30.  It is "bothersome."  I seem to recall that our rebuild would start with a mobile, tough defense.  OK.  Well, I think we are 25th in the league.  That isn't bothersome, it's downright painful.  I suspect coaching to play 60 mins matters and can be done.  Underlying talent is different. 

The Hurricanes and Islanders being ahead of us in the standings is a lot of food for thought.  

A quick observation:  The number of posts for this game, and the last few for that matter, are fewer than usual.  I think people are politely checking out.  I get it.  This has to be one of the most disappointing seasons in Flyers history.  And I am having a tough time watching games.  That is sad!

Archived