Sellers? What about getting younger?

Guest Phillygrump

What do you think about the idea of selling players like Kimmo and Hartnell at the deadline instead of buying and making a run.

We could set up for an offseason run at Weber or Suter while trying to add to this young team by adding some young defensemen.

I would love to try to get out from under this goaltender albatros that is Bryzgalov and try to commit to Bobrovsky and move toward a younger team.

I know it would never happen, but would you guys take a selling year and a shot at Weber in the offseason or do you want to piece together more players and keep making half-@ssed runs at the cup?

I wouldn't mind moving them. But our defense would really suck next year if they trade Timo and not replace him with a no.1 dman. Hartnell isn't that old to consider moving and only if Simmonds get to Hartnell's level then I would trade him as we have a replacement there. I rather trade Briere as he's replaceable with our youth at C and his cap hit would really help.

You never know, the Flyers went to the finals a few years back when no 1 expected them to with the goalie carousel. The goalies might get hot and the team might be on a roll, it's hard to throw in the towel so early and the players would be piss as hell if Homer does that.

Why would Timonen or Hartnell (with an NMC and an NTC) want to leave?

And, assuming we tell them they're not wanted here any more and to please not let the door hit them on the way out, and then buyout Bryz, what value does an NTC/NMC offer have to a potential FA going forward?

Regardless of the feasibility, the long term problems aren't Timonen and Hartnell - both of whom are up after next season.

The issues are Bryzgalov for eight more and Pronger for five more after this (pending one following bread crumbs out of the woods and the other ever being able to play again).

@Phillygrump

Wouldn't move Hartnell right now. He's just too good (12 months ago this statement would have been dripping with sarcasm; now, surprise, he's an all star..). It would also be very tough for us to move Kimmo, not because there wouldn't be a lot of interest but because his minutes are irreplaceable.