Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

TropicalFruitGirl26

2019 Minnesota Wild Off Season: Boudreau Non Guaranteed Edition

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Xcel.thumb.jpg.289066352c403abbafb25a8b63066699.jpg

 

Even though it is two games early, the Wild are officially done with any playoff chases, so figured, wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling on some sort off season general thread where news, notes, fears, horrors, or miracles can be talked about....and hopefully this thread develops nicely IF Wild management makes some good decisions over the Spring and Summer.

What ails the team will NOT be fixed in a single off season, but still, a good summer can ensure that perhaps some fans will be able to see some light at the end of the proverbial tunnel and at the very least, push this team in a solid competitive direction once again.

 

Here is a link to capfriendly…..where posters can peruse the current Wild contracts, along with their cap hits, salaries, who is a UFA, RFA, who is in the minors, Minnesota's draft board, etc, etc,

Capfriendly is pretty accurate and up to the minute usually, so we can check with them periodically to see what status any given players' contracts are in.
For instance, Nico Sturm is included already in this.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Lots of RFA's for Minnesota to make decisions on, a few UFA's, and maybe some draft day or summer trade candidates.

 

As the title suggests, and unlike BB's playoff guarantee, this off season guarantees NOTHING, so we are all free to speculate till the Scandinavians come home on what exactly will transpire this summer. :bigteeth:

 

I have some thoughts myself, non comprehensive of course, but will wait a bit till I can gather them together and post them in a non frustrated manner.

First, I still have to fully digest what this team has become, and what they are likely to be for the foreseeable.

Anyways, Wild off season thread. Have at it guys n gals. 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice write up!

 

I will start with I feel for Bruce. The old saying of you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink stands true for his coaching. Too many players appeared to quit or just not put in the full effort to help the Wild win. Then it comes out from Russo that he was being forced to play at least one player when he wanted others to play really makes you wonder how much say Bruce has overall. I mean we seen him bench/cut TOI big time to even star players that were struggling but never appeared to do that here. Suter should have been having that happen. I think Bruce doesn't have the final say. I hate to see it but Bruce now compared to Bruce when he was first hired is two different people. That fire and life seems to be sucked out and he almost talks in a perspective of like a assistant coach instead of head coach. Fenton seems to appear to want somebody else. My guess is Bruce is gone at the end of the season either by his choice or Fenton lets him go. I feel for him as he is a good coach. He just ran into a group of players that didn't have the same love, passion and drive to want to win it all. I will be sad to see Bruce go.

 

Things I want to see change:
- The focus on and developing prospects.

- Cutting vets TOI down and dramatically cutting their time out there during key moments. We need the younger generation to get use to those moments.

- Having our owner back away from GM decisions and our GM backing away from coaching decisions. Leipold appears to be a fan boy and wants to be in there when it comes to picking players. He just needs to sign the checks and back away. Fenton needs to back away from coaching decisions and actually ask his coach what he needs and try to go out there and get that. Not go out and get players he likes and has a past with.

- Have Leipold not get involved with the players. Tell the players if they have any issues bring it up to the coach and GM.

- We need a game changer/franchise changer. A natural goal scorer. We don't have that and it's killing us.

- I wouldn't be shy looking into goalies either. Dubnyk can really be a flip of the coin. He can have games where you start to think he is top tier goalie and then have games where the game is out of control in the first 3 minutes. The soft goals that go in are frustrating to say the least.

- We are going to need to shed some contracts if possible. Hate it or like it, Zucker is one I would be looking to ship. Way to much for what he brings. Rask is another. We got a bunch of UFA and RFA we need to make decisions on and they are going to demand more money.

- Get better scouts.

- Develop a identity of the team.

- No more of these player only meetings. Listen to your coach. Play to keep your job. And most of all play and win for your fan base that allows you to have a job like you have instead of like the rest of 99% of us.

- Please request a change of almost all the guys on the FSN team. They are terrible and sound like the biggest cheerleaders/suck ups to the Wild ever!

I got more but I hope to see some of these happen especially the first two I listed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion , if the Wild organization is smart enough, I believe that Bruce Boudreau still will remain as a head coach for the team next season. It is not his fault at all that the team was not able to score enough goals. He tried many pairs during the season and was using what he had available. I do not see too many options to find another smart coach. Kind of a lack of them in NHL. I am not sure if the previous Chicago coach is good enough anymore for us. And I do not want to see or Yeo, or Richards or similar to them here again. Hope, they will sign Panarin and Bobrovsky this summer and hope they will not sign 4-5 oldish unproductive cheap players like they did last summer. Dubnyk could be a backup goalie if he wants to stay here. If not then young Kahkonen is an option as a backup goalie. Really want to see younger developing team than we had last season with more freedom to be offensively Wild. After this frustrating season changes are evident towards the offensive style of the team. It seems similar problems having the farm club too- not able to score when is crucial necessary.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EJ you're right about a few things.

If they won't let Bruce coach the way he wants they should do him a favor and let him go.

The youth movement needs to start now.

They need to identify the players that are not part of the future and trade them to upgrade their draft position. 

They will need to be careful about leaving quality players exposed to the expansion draft. Perhaps get parise and Suter to waive their no trade clause. Who would want that contract anyway?

One thing I think you are wrong about is the no game changer/ scorer.

I think Dumba is the best thing this team has for the future.

I think he will become a Brent Burns type player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Agreed . Mind boggling. It was a frustrating depressing year. Western Conference was much weaker than Eastern Conference this year. We were able to beat 5 times out of 5 Winnipeg team, we were able to beat on their ice Tampa, Vegas, Washington, Calgary and etc. We had a real chance to be successful in a playoffs this year, but we were not able consistently to score those stupid goals. Embarrassing stats on home ice as well 9 shutouts against us made us none competitive especially when played against poor teams. No excuse for injuries at all – the other players should step up when the key players are out. That happened with any team during the season. The most toughest one are always on the top. Our team was walking on the razor’s edge and was not able to show their possible talent at the level of the WILD craziness. Here is an example of the talented art when the wild craziness transfers from the team to the fans, to the public. A heavy rock band ACDC performing a song “Thunderstruck”:

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

I probably should have posted this here, versus post the Jets string.  Before I provide a prospective personal suggestion for a patchwork 'fix,' I thought I would summarize my impression of the conclusion of the year.  Namely, the lack of ANY consistency with this 'team'.......

 

So, I took a 1/2 day before responding to these results and posts with a renewed perspective.  You simply cannot be as breathtakingly inconsistent as the Wild unless several things are going on in concert.  These are my Top 4:  

 

1)  Role Confusion:  the constant line juggling could explain the complete up/down play from one game to the next, and player to player - there is NO full line continuity that survives more than a dozen games, and it shows when you can beat a Tampa one game, and take a dump versus Detroit over a week or month.  It just defies logic.

 

2)  Acute lack of leadership:  your leaders should keep all players on an even keel and focused - we clearly have lacked leadership FOREVER; both in the regular season and playoffs.  We gain NOTHING in this department from 9, 11, and 20.  Just because you get paid the most, shouldn't make you an automatic captain or alternate, when you lack all requisite requirements to be one - does the effort or play of 9, and 20 inspire others!?!?  How about the insubordination of 11 and 20 in hiring their own coach to show up at Team Ice with no authorization and 'show up' your head coach!?!?  Where is the Country Club when a teammate is drilled, or needs to be 'picked up' - yep, taking care to ensure that they get a cheap second assist, or exceed 30 minutes on the ice, or win a 'dishonest' face-off, or get a garbage 'chip in' goal.

 

3)  Inability to sustain Focus:  Dubnyk is a perfect example.  He can make the eye-opening save, followed by the squirt-level gaffe one minute apart - there just is no excuse for this unless a player is playing under stress too often, or there is just a lack of the mental will-power to stay on track game-to-game or over 60 minutes.  Some players can do this, and some can't.  It is up to the coaches to monitor the stress (how many crucial games in a row), the players to help mitigate it (particularly defense and back-checkers), and the player to know when they need break - no Super Hero's are necessary.

 

4)  Dysfunction/Disunity:  this is something that I really place a great deal of stock into with the Wild.  I don't think the locker room is healthy AT ALL.  I think the Country Club creates the impression that 'all is well,' as does the coach, but my sense is that there is a great deal of disgust by players like Foligno (and others that bring an 'honest days work' every game) - while some of your players coast and milk TOI, have excessive contracts, take days off, and have a mutual 'leg humping' relationship with the owner.  This does not 'wear well' on a real TEAM, and particularly with the 'gritty players'.

 

In short, these are my thoughts, and they have fairly easy resolutions that I (and many) have been barking about all year.  The C and As need to be pulled, CL and Fenton need to stay out of BB's ear with line-ups and TOI expectations, and CL needs to 'close the door' on all past relationships with 9, 11, and 20.  This IS a business, not a 'mutual admiration society.'  Besides, it is long past time that CL should be feeling like he is receiving NO REASONABLE RETURN on the $20M/year he is presently doling out for 9, 11, and 20 with no success beyond Rd 1 of playoffs (and some profit from tix sales and Warming House that is about to plummet - I am dropping my tix now that this season is over - I might reconsider if they bench the Country Club, pull the C and As, and sign Kaprisov)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent points Empty Shelf.  I don't disagree with any of them.  

 

I'd only suggest the Country Club is a little bigger than #20, #11, #9 (by the way the order is deliberate).  I'd toss in #40 and #12 to that mix.  While I don't think #12 demands as much as #20 and #11 or #9 do, I do think we didn't want to upset the fellow Over-30 crowd by shipping him off to be a rental even though it would've been beneficial to the team both in the long run (afterall we gave up on a chance for 1st and a player and still could've signed him back this summer).  But #12 has been dead legs most of the season.  

 

As for #40, I think he chooses when he starts.  And instead of getting your starter upset, we let him try to work through rough patches with more starts and play back to backs when its clear he's often less focused due to fatigue.  So I think that makes him a part of that Country Club that is beyond Boudreau's control.  

 

As far as the locker room goes.  You are 100% spot on.  I have a few different sources and they've confirmed to me what I've been speculating all along.  The locker room is a mess and it is known throughout the league that the team has dysfunction and its not likely to change anytime soon.  

  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tomdog said:

EJ you're right about a few things.

If they won't let Bruce coach the way he wants they should do him a favor and let him go.

The youth movement needs to start now.

They need to identify the players that are not part of the future and trade them to upgrade their draft position. 

They will need to be careful about leaving quality players exposed to the expansion draft. Perhaps get parise and Suter to waive their no trade clause. Who would want that contract anyway?

One thing I think you are wrong about is the no game changer/ scorer.

I think Dumba is the best thing this team has for the future.

I think he will become a Brent Burns type player.

Thank you. I am still on the side that we really don't have a game changer/ franchise changer. I would need to see Dumba have two full season like the one he was having this season to change my mind on him. I think he has a very high upside now and I was one who was very worried about him.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Decent points Empty Shelf.  I don't disagree with any of them.  

 

I'd only suggest the Country Club is a little bigger than #20, #11, #9 (by the way the order is deliberate).  I'd toss in #40 and #12 to that mix.  While I don't think #12 demands as much as #20 and #11 or #9 do, I do think we didn't want to upset the fellow Over-30 crowd by shipping him off to be a rental even though it would've been beneficial to the team both in the long run (afterall we gave up on a chance for 1st and a player and still could've signed him back this summer).  But #12 has been dead legs most of the season.  

 

As for #40, I think he chooses when he starts.  And instead of getting your starter upset, we let him try to work through rough patches with more starts and play back to backs when its clear he's often less focused due to fatigue.  So I think that makes him a part of that Country Club that is beyond Boudreau's control.  

 

As far as the locker room goes.  You are 100% spot on.  I have a few different sources and they've confirmed to me what I've been speculating all along.  The locker room is a mess and it is known throughout the league that the team has dysfunction and its not likely to change anytime soon.  

I would love to hear more on this. I know you can't give out your sources but you probably recall from the old boards I was and still am certain this was true. I always see some groups and individuals on this team and not a whole unit. And what my instincts say is the cancer starts at 11 and 20. I don't think 9 was originally like that but got tainted. 9 never seem to appear selfish or had locker room issues until 11 and 20 showed up. I think 40 is probably a good guy in the locker room but wants to hang with the cool kids and stays around them but doesn't say much. I think 12 was fine when he first got here but then seen you are either with the cool kids who have the say on the team or you are one of the outcasts that the team will get rid of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

Thank you. I am still on the side that we really don't have a game changer/ franchise changer. I would need to see Dumba have two full season like the one he was having this season to change my mind on him. I think he has a very high upside now and I was one who was very worried about him.

I would love to hear more on this. I know you can't give out your sources but you probably recall from the old boards I was and still am certain this was true. I always see some groups and individuals on this team and not a whole unit. And what my instincts say is the cancer starts at 11 and 20. I don't think 9 was originally like that but got tainted. 9 never seem to appear selfish or had locker room issues until 11 and 20 showed up. I think 40 is probably a good guy in the locker room but wants to hang with the cool kids and stays around them but doesn't say much. I think 12 was fine when he first got here but then seen you are either with the cool kids who have the say on the team or you are one of the outcasts that the team will get rid of.

 

I wish I could share more.  I will simply say that its through multiple sources.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

I wish I could share more.  I will simply say that its through multiple sources.  

Completely understand. And I 100% trust you on this information. You always do a great job. I both glad and sad that my thoughts and predictions on this are coming true. At least something is coming to light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wondered if the rise of Mikko didn't have an influence on wes walz resigning.

I have heard "stories" of the unrest in the wild locker room, and wished I could hear from some of the players that came and went, about what went on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

I wish I could share more.  I will simply say that its through multiple sources.  

I am sure that you and your sources are correct.  Given that 9 is likely gone after next year (and hopefully only playing 1/2 dragging a tractor behind him), and Dubnyk hopefully the year thereafter, what can be done about the cancer that 20 and 11 are in the locker room?  We have 6 more years to see this crap metastasize into a full-blown terminal illness.  I would look for any way to dump one or both, and de-emphasize them if they stay.  This includes a loss of the A's, as that alone would place the 'leadership mantle' on someone else's shoulders and take 20 and 11 out of EJ's 'cool group.'  I would also cap ice-time, line, and special teams expectations right now (year-end interview) for next year.  Also, the close relationship with the owner issue (with 20 and 11) can be treacherous for other players - CL needs to fix this right now:  'your input is no longer welcome, 20 and 11, go back to being an employee and player.'  No more unsolicited calls or special treatment.  Fenton and BB need to make CL take a giant step back from 'leg humping fanboy' to owner for the good of the club and young players.  The results of these relationships are plain to see in the poor performances and record.  Otherwise, it is going to be a LONG 6 years.

  • Good Post 2
  • Uggh... 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing a bunch of Russians or other foreign players s that cannot understand 20, 11, and 9, and only talk among themselves may solve the issue if they can form their own clique (and laugh at declining performance from the CC), and management shuts the door on 20, 11, and 9 thinking they have 'higher level access.'  I am only half kidding - there are other ways to change culture and influence, but management needs to de-emphasize the cancers wherever they can immediately.  The 'jig is up', as they say.....soon expiring contracts will take care of 2-3 of the CC, but not the 1-2 I have the most concerns about.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Signing a bunch of Russians or other foreign players s that cannot understand 20, 11, and 9, and only talk among themselves may solve the issue if they can form their own clique (and laugh at declining performance from the CC), and management shuts the door on 20, 11, and 9 thinking they have 'higher level access.'  I am only half kidding - there are other ways to change culture and influence, but management needs to de-emphasize the cancers wherever they can immediately.  The 'jig is up', as they say.....soon expiring contracts will take care of 2-3 of the CC, but not the 1-2 I have the most concerns about.

That would be a novel way of solving the problem :D It might be close to the reality as it is, as I would imagine the players who are not part of the Country Club Tractor ring, realise what the ring and the organisation is trying to feed them and in consequence has already stopped listening to them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with what the Wild do this off-season...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with what the Wild do this off-season...

Honestly, if they just cut the core 3 TOI and not put them out there in Key situations well keeping them in check it would go a long ways.
We need to focus on the youth and put them in the drivers seat. We can put the core 3 up on the roof rack with the luggage. I was impressed with Sturm and his drive and passion. It was so fresh and actually got me excited to see the Wild one last time this season. I hope on Saturday he can snag a sharp looking goal. My dream would be for the Wild to start most of the younger guys and they go out there and light it up and give the Wild their most impressive win of the season.

 

We don't need to sign a ton of players or huge names if we can do what I said above. At this point @CreaseAndAssist has said with his sources that locker room is a huge mess. Before 11 & 20 showed up we really didn't have that problem but every since them came in there has always seem to be a locker room problem. Then factor in the Parise, Suter and Oates ordeal and it doesn't take out much to figure out where it starts. Of course 11 & 20 are best of friends with CL. Hell Suter has said about him going out to supper with CL. It's very unprofessional both by the owner and player. How could that locker room not be a mess. You got two guys who do what they want and go hang out with the owner well the rest never get that treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with what the Wild do this off-season...

 

I agree.  I have a bad feeling it will involve Joe Pavelski and overpaying him on what he did San Jose and seeing it not happen here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Honestly, if they just cut the core 3 TOI and not put them out there in Key situations well keeping them in check it would go a long ways.
We need to focus on the youth and put them in the drivers seat. We can put the core 3 up on the roof rack with the luggage. I was impressed with Sturm and his drive and passion. It was so fresh and actually got me excited to see the Wild one last time this season. I hope on Saturday he can snag a sharp looking goal. My dream would be for the Wild to start most of the younger guys and they go out there and light it up and give the Wild their most impressive win of the season.

 

We don't need to sign a ton of players or huge names if we can do what I said above. At this point @CreaseAndAssist has said with his sources that locker room is a huge mess. Before 11 & 20 showed up we really didn't have that problem but every since them came in there has always seem to be a locker room problem. Then factor in the Parise, Suter and Oates ordeal and it doesn't take out much to figure out where it starts. Of course 11 & 20 are best of friends with CL. Hell Suter has said about him going out to supper with CL. It's very unprofessional both by the owner and player. How could that locker room not be a mess. You got two guys who do what they want and go hang out with the owner well the rest never get that treatment.

 

The owner is going to do whatever he wants.  Suter is his employee.  But the more they let Suter do whatever he wants...the more it undermines the organization's credibility let alone the locker room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@EJ0226

 

Well, after looking at your points, I agree with some..

 

---Team Identity.
Definitely.
What kind of team are the Wild going to be? They were at their best when the team knew how they wanted to play, and everyone played to that tune and personally, despite the size disadvantage, I prefer the team stay small, fast, and smart......leave the big and lumbering for other teams, and unless the Wild can get ahold of some REAL power forwards, playing the "big man" game simply isn't the way to go for this organization.

Also, they need to decided whether they want to play as a balanced team, offense first, or defense first.
Here, I think either balanced or offense would work given who they have and who could be available for them....goes with the small, fast, but SMART identity.

 

This of course, means the goalie will see some quality chances that he HAS to stop, particularly if the team goes offense first. Is Dubnyk up to that task? I want to say, yes, for the most part, despite him letting in a questionable goal here and there...thing is, if the team can really put goals on the board, they should be able to absorb any Duby lapses, so long as for the most part, he plays solid.

 

---Focus and developing prospects/ better scouts
I put those together because I feel they go hand in hand. Good scouts will seek out the prime raw talents and they should push for the refining of their finds, maybe work a bit with the actual junior and minor league coaches, to ensure those guys have a legit shot to be good NHL players.

Along with this, any scouts should NOT shy away from a bit of diversity with regards to countries of origin. A good player is a good player...regardless of whether he is Scandinavian, Russian, Czech, Slovakian, Latvian, or North American. 
Don't worry about language barriers, don't worry about past "butt hurts" due to some players from certain countries not working out.

IMO, they didn't work out because the scouts did a lousy job in gauging how much those players really wanted to be part of the Wild and the NHL....it is on the scouts to do their homework, find those guys who really want to be North American stars and play for the team. It's a people skills thing, I think. Do the Wild have such employees? That is a good question...

 

---Craig Leipold needs to keep his proboscis OUT of team operations.
Yes, he is the owner, and he has ultimate say what is done with HIS money, however, what is the point of hiring people....then not letting them do their jobs to their fullest ability...THEN want to hold them accountable when they fail?? Makes zero sense.

One thing the Wild could learn from a team I follow very closely, like the Lightning is, the owner has complete say who works for his organization, but once hired, he LETS THEM DO THEIR DAMNED JOBS! Unless one of his employees is constantly screwing something up, he basically, like you said, signs the checks, and just oversees and enjoys the fruits of labor of the people HE hired!

Let the GM be the GM, let the coach be the coach...owner should support the GM, the GM should support the coach, and so on.
I don't know what the dynamic of this Wild organization is right now, but if the owner is hockey's version of George Steinbrenner (back when ol George was always interfering with his own team...and yes, its a baseball reference for those who don't know), then this organization will have many more dark years to look forward to, and will have a HELL of a time attracting and keeping quality management, coaches, and yes, players.

 

----Managing ice time based on merit, not contract.
This is actually a no-brainer and goes on with MANY organizations, though obviously, contract usually dictates who is expected to lead the way (that IS why they are getting the big money, right?).

But for this to work, a strong chain of command infrastructure has to exist. There has to be a strong head coach who isn't afraid to make an unpopular decision...and have his GM back him up (note I said GM, NOT owner....because the owner should be backing the GM anyways if all is well).

It doesn't even have to be a "punishment thing" with managing players TOI, but rather a professional understanding that the head coach will need to ice and use certain players based on what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. Simple as that.
A real professional will understand that, and if a player wants to sulk, then he can sulk....it will only hurt his OWN reputation.

Once again, because I see how the organization is run, a team like Tampa Bay is so good not only because of talent, but because of how the players are managed.....they have guys making $5M+ on the 3rd or 4th lines due to how the coach feels best to deploy his team....but then again, the coach, GM, and owner all play their proper roles over there, and players understand, either you pull with the team, or you don't play, or even more strict, you are OUT....and the team isn't afraid to buy people out if necessary.

Things the Wild could learn to do as well.

Anyways, this post ran on longer than I intended, and didn't even touch up on everything swirling through my head.
Just a couple things that immediately jumped out at me reading your post.

I know one off season won't solve all these things and it will be extra tough to get the chain of command set straight, but some things like the scouting, development, and team identity CAN be done in one off season.....if the organization really commits itself to it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@EJ0226

 

Well, after looking at your points, I agree with some..

 

---Team Identity.
Definitely.
What kind of team are the Wild going to be? They were at their best when the team knew how they wanted to play, and everyone played to that tune and personally, despite the size disadvantage, I prefer the team stay small, fast, and smart......leave the big and lumbering for other teams, and unless the Wild can get ahold of some REAL power forwards, playing the "big man" game simply isn't the way to go for this organization.

Also, they need to decided whether they want to play as a balanced team, offense first, or defense first.
Here, I think either balanced or offense would work given who they have and who could be available for them....goes with the small, fast, but SMART identity.

 

This of course, means the goalie will see some quality chances that he HAS to stop, particularly if the team goes offense first. Is Dubnyk up to that task? I want to say, yes, for the most part, despite him letting in a questionable goal here and there...thing is, if the team can really put goals on the board, they should be able to absorb any Duby lapses, so long as for the most part, he plays solid.

 

---Focus and developing prospects/ better scouts
I put those together because I feel they go hand in hand. Good scouts will seek out the prime raw talents and they should push for the refining of their finds, maybe work a bit with the actual junior and minor league coaches, to ensure those guys have a legit shot to be good NHL players.

Along with this, any scouts should NOT shy away from a bit of diversity with regards to countries of origin. A good player is a good player...regardless of whether he is Scandinavian, Russian, Czech, Slovakian, Latvian, or North American. 
Don't worry about language barriers, don't worry about past "butt hurts" due to some players from certain countries not working out.

IMO, they didn't work out because the scouts did a lousy job in gauging how much those players really wanted to be part of the Wild and the NHL....it is on the scouts to do their homework, find those guys who really want to be North American stars and play for the team. It's a people skills thing, I think. Do the Wild have such employees? That is a good question...

 

---Craig Leipold needs to keep his proboscis OUT of team operations.
Yes, he is the owner, and he has ultimate say what is done with HIS money, however, what is the point of hiring people....then not letting them do their jobs to their fullest ability...THEN want to hold them accountable when they fail?? Makes zero sense.

One thing the Wild could learn from a team I follow very closely, like the Lightning is, the owner has complete say who works for his organization, but once hired, he LETS THEM DO THEIR DAMNED JOBS! Unless one of his employees is constantly screwing something up, he basically, like you said, signs the checks, and just oversees and enjoys the fruits of labor of the people HE hired!

Let the GM be the GM, let the coach be the coach...owner should support the GM, the GM should support the coach, and so on.
I don't know what the dynamic of this Wild organization is right now, but if the owner is hockey's version of George Steinbrenner (back when ol George was always interfering with his own team...and yes, its a baseball reference for those who don't know), then this organization will have many more dark years to look forward to, and will have a HELL of a time attracting and keeping quality management, coaches, and yes, players.

 

----Managing ice time based on merit, not contract.
This is actually a no-brainer and goes on with MANY organizations, though obviously, contract usually dictates who is expected to lead the way (that IS why they are getting the big money, right?).

But for this to work, a strong chain of command infrastructure has to exist. There has to be a strong head coach who isn't afraid to make an unpopular decision...and have his GM back him up (note I said GM, NOT owner....because the owner should be backing the GM anyways if all is well).

It doesn't even have to be a "punishment thing" with managing players TOI, but rather a professional understanding that the head coach will need to ice and use certain players based on what he feels gives the team the best chance to win. Simple as that.
A real professional will understand that, and if a player wants to sulk, then he can sulk....it will only hurt his OWN reputation.

Once again, because I see how the organization is run, a team like Tampa Bay is so good not only because of talent, but because of how the players are managed.....they have guys making $5M+ on the 3rd or 4th lines due to how the coach feels best to deploy his team....but then again, the coach, GM, and owner all play their proper roles over there, and players understand, either you pull with the team, or you don't play, or even more strict, you are OUT....and the team isn't afraid to buy people out if necessary.

Things the Wild could learn to do as well.

Anyways, this post ran on longer than I intended, and didn't even touch up on everything swirling through my head.
Just a couple things that immediately jumped out at me reading your post.

I know one off season won't solve all these things and it will be extra tough to get the chain of command set straight, but some things like the scouting, development, and team identity CAN be done in one off season.....if the organization really commits itself to it.

 

Some of the players can talk to the owner and get what they wish.  As long as that stays as it has...no coach or GM can succeed.  Same is true for Culture.  You can't change the culture if the main part that sets the tone for that culture still does its own thing with ZERO accountability.  The coach can try, but he knows he'll be fired if he does.  The GM can try, but he knows he'll be fired if he does.  

 

As far as the scouts go.  FIRE THEM ALL.  Honestly, its painful how many years they've been given considering how many failed picks we have.  Russo pointed this out rather correctly in his last podcast.  We can't even develop players for our 3rd and 4th lines on a consistent basis.  We often end up signing older vets at usually over a million or two-million per season to fill those spots.  Why?  

 

But back to the scouts.  Their last 1st round pick was so f%%ing awful, not even the Swedish National Team GM (Johan Garpenlov) even had heard of him.  He seriously had no freakin' clue who he was and then seem baffled we even drafted him let alone in the 1st round.  

 

But no one on this scouting staff should be retained.  Not one, especially if the goal is to get fresh eyes on this organization.  

 

#20 dictates his ice time, his partner and all of his opportunities.  Hell, #20 was not even listening to his freakin' doctors and trainers.  He did what the hell he wanted.  He comes off the ice when he feels like it.  He probably almost hops over the boards when he feels like it.  

 

I don't really care how much they want to be on the Wild.  So, by that...the Wild were correct in sinking more money and limited no-trade clause into Staal just because he said he really wanted to be here?  C'mon...we really have to be what can you do for me now.  Not...what have you done for me in the past.  Otherwise we're doubling down on the same culture / work ethic / sense of entitlement you claim to want to diminish.  Sorry...its too easy to just say that, get the money you want and then kind of take up space.  Which is what we're mostly going to get out of #12 for the next two seasons.  

 

Take the freakin' homer glasses off.  This team is still hot trash...with a big opportunity to improve its situation or make it worse.  Based on the Bitetto addition and the demands to play that POS, the Rask / Nino trade, the Staal re-signing and the incredibly short-sighted 1-for-1 deal with a team in our own division in the Granlund / Fiala shame...I'm going to guess its going to be the latter.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Bruce Boudreau, rumor now is he may not be back?

 

That probably is for the best. I have nothing against him as a coach, but personally, never felt he was a "fit" for this team based on the personnel..... and unless the Wild are going to make drastic changes to suit Boudreau's coaching and playing style, he never will be a fit.

BB's teams in Washington were large, aggressive, offensive minded teams....and he had lots of star players to manage as well.
None of that really applies to Minnesota, and the Wild don't seem set on giving him the type of team he needs to fully implement any playstyle he may want to use.

Furthermore, if the Wild are going into a rebuild, then again, BB is not the guy for that. 

He is already 64, has coached some real good teams, and probably took the Minnesota job thinking, "This team is ready to win NOW....something I have yet to do as a coach".

I bet thoughts of rebuilds were the farthest thing from his mind.

This man likely will not have the patience for a rebuild....not at his age, not after the years he has poured into contending teams that never quite got the job done.

 

In that regard, I can't blame the guy if he wants out or if the organization just decides not to retain him.
Much easier to replace the coach than it is to turn over an entire roster in short order.

 

But long term, the Wild need a guy who is willing to be around for a roster turnover.
Still though, none of it will matter if the owner insists on playing GM and coach as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I was Boudreau, I'd hand in my resignation at the Dallas post game conference. 

 

And then I'd burn it to the ground...

 

As far as the next coach, who in their right mind would want to take over this dumpster fire knowing that neither the GM nor the owner have your back?

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

As far as the scouts go.  FIRE THEM ALL.  Honestly, its painful how many years they've been given considering how many failed picks we have.  Russo pointed this out rather correctly in his last podcast.  We can't even develop players for our 3rd and 4th lines on a consistent basis.  We often end up signing older vets at usually over a million or two-million per season to fill those spots.  Why?  

 

But back to the scouts.  Their last 1st round pick was so f%%ing awful, not even the Swedish National Team GM (Johan Garpenlov) even had heard of him.  He seriously had no freakin' clue who he was and then seem baffled we even drafted him let alone in the 1st round.  

 

But no one on this scouting staff should be retained.  Not one, especially if the goal is to get fresh eyes on this organization.  

 

I was really hoping Fenton would sent the whole crew packing, but he didn't. Looks like the only scout that left was Richard Park, and he was part of the Pro Scouting department. Instead he kept everyone from that clown show around and added two more scouts, Pat Baum and Frank Neal...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

Some of the players can talk to the owner and get what they wish.  As long as that stays as it has...no coach or GM can succeed.  Same is true for Culture.  You can't change the culture if the main part that sets the tone for that culture still does its own thing with ZERO accountability.  The coach can try, but he knows he'll be fired if he does.  The GM can try, but he knows he'll be fired if he does.  

 

As far as the scouts go.  FIRE THEM ALL.  Honestly, its painful how many years they've been given considering how many failed picks we have.  Russo pointed this out rather correctly in his last podcast.  We can't even develop players for our 3rd and 4th lines on a consistent basis.  We often end up signing older vets at usually over a million or two-million per season to fill those spots.  Why?  

 

But back to the scouts.  Their last 1st round pick was so f%%ing awful, not even the Swedish National Team GM (Johan Garpenlov) even had heard of him.  He seriously had no freakin' clue who he was and then seem baffled we even drafted him let alone in the 1st round.  

 

But no one on this scouting staff should be retained.  Not one, especially if the goal is to get fresh eyes on this organization.  

 

#20 dictates his ice time, his partner and all of his opportunities.  Hell, #20 was not even listening to his freakin' doctors and trainers.  He did what the hell he wanted.  He comes off the ice when he feels like it.  He probably almost hops over the boards when he feels like it.  

 

I don't really care how much they want to be on the Wild.  So, by that...the Wild were correct in sinking more money and limited no-trade clause into Staal just because he said he really wanted to be here?  C'mon...we really have to be what can you do for me now.  Not...what have you done for me in the past.  Otherwise we're doubling down on the same culture / work ethic / sense of entitlement you claim to want to diminish.  Sorry...its too easy to just say that, get the money you want and then kind of take up space.  Which is what we're mostly going to get out of #12 for the next two seasons.  

 

Take the freakin' homer glasses off.  This team is still hot trash...with a big opportunity to improve its situation or make it worse.  Based on the Bitetto addition and the demands to play that POS, the Rask / Nino trade, the Staal re-signing and the incredibly short-sighted 1-for-1 deal with a team in our own division in the Granlund / Fiala shame...I'm going to guess its going to be the latter.  

When Russo talked about how the Swedish GM never even heard of our # 1 pick I cracked up laughing. How the hell any of those scouts kept their job as soon as Fenton stepped in points to a very bad picture.

 

What really pissed me off is number 20 started off so good with us. But after a few years you got to see the decline in effort and care. Now it's just comical. If this was any other player they would have been cut. Instead Suter smiles after being asking how disappointing it is to miss the playoffs as he still chooses his TOI, being out in key moments and PP and basically who has to cover his ass after the other team comes into our zone every time. Could you imagine Spurgeon paired with a actually stud defenseman.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As for Bruce Boudreau, rumor now is he may not be back?

 

That probably is for the best. I have nothing against him as a coach, but personally, never felt he was a "fit" for this team based on the personnel..... and unless the Wild are going to make drastic changes to suit Boudreau's coaching and playing style, he never will be a fit.

BB's teams in Washington were large, aggressive, offensive minded teams....and he had lots of star players to manage as well.
None of that really applies to Minnesota, and the Wild don't seem set on giving him the type of team he needs to fully implement any playstyle he may want to use.

Furthermore, if the Wild are going into a rebuild, then again, BB is not the guy for that. 

He is already 64, has coached some real good teams, and probably took the Minnesota job thinking, "This team is ready to win NOW....something I have yet to do as a coach".

I bet thoughts of rebuilds were the farthest thing from his mind.

This man likely will not have the patience for a rebuild....not at his age, not after the years he has poured into contending teams that never quite got the job done.

 

In that regard, I can't blame the guy if he wants out or if the organization just decides not to retain him.
Much easier to replace the coach than it is to turn over an entire roster in short order.

 

But long term, the Wild need a guy who is willing to be around for a roster turnover.
Still though, none of it will matter if the owner insists on playing GM and coach as well.

Honestly, even the great Scotty Bowman could never coach this team to even the Stanley Cup Finals. As long as CL keeps being a fanboy of certain players and trying to be their best friend while also trying to make some GM decisions well our GM is trying to make some coaching decisions this team will never work. Never.

 

I wish with all of my heart they could chalk up Parise and Suters contracts as a very costly mistake(s) and move on. Hell even buy them out and get the team young and focus completely on them. We know that 11 and 20 are not good for the locker room or other players. We also know they can't lift the team up on their shoulders and carry them through a rough patch but they are going to eat up majority of TOI and always have to be out there during key situations but continue to fall flat doing so. It's just time to have CL get smacked in the back of the head and knock some sense in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sincerely, I had tears in my eyes when I have seen how our crowd/fans supported our team to put at least one goal into the Boston net last game. Last night was 10th shutout against us (7th on home ice). Is that team’s respect of the fans who spent money and time to drive and see those games for nothing? Just came a question - What it would happened if we will not sign 4-5 oldish unproductive players last summer and did not do any signings and trades during the season? Is that was necessarily or not to improve the team's production or that was just a better chance to bring our team to the last place? I have feeling that we will get the last place in our Division this season. Or maybe that was a strategic plan to get a better draft in 2019? I am still impressed about Carolina results by looking how just one player Nino(for the trade of Rask) helped to bring that team from nowhere in the mid of the season to the playoffs spot. Definitely Aho without Nino was not able to do that. Any goals, any points are counting in a professional sport.  That is the most matter part of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As for Bruce Boudreau, rumor now is he may not be back?

 

That probably is for the best. I have nothing against him as a coach, but personally, never felt he was a "fit" for this team based on the personnel..... and unless the Wild are going to make drastic changes to suit Boudreau's coaching and playing style, he never will be a fit.

BB's teams in Washington were large, aggressive, offensive minded teams....and he had lots of star players to manage as well.
None of that really applies to Minnesota, and the Wild don't seem set on giving him the type of team he needs to fully implement any playstyle he may want to use.

Furthermore, if the Wild are going into a rebuild, then again, BB is not the guy for that. 

He is already 64, has coached some real good teams, and probably took the Minnesota job thinking, "This team is ready to win NOW....something I have yet to do as a coach".

I bet thoughts of rebuilds were the farthest thing from his mind.

This man likely will not have the patience for a rebuild....not at his age, not after the years he has poured into contending teams that never quite got the job done.

 

In that regard, I can't blame the guy if he wants out or if the organization just decides not to retain him.
Much easier to replace the coach than it is to turn over an entire roster in short order.

 

But long term, the Wild need a guy who is willing to be around for a roster turnover.
Still though, none of it will matter if the owner insists on playing GM and coach as well.

 

This post is absurd.  Boudreau was just fine for the organization, IF IT LET HIM DO HIS JOB.  The problem is, it won't change the power dynamic that would undermine ANY coach this team has.  Russo seems to think Boudreau still has support from Leipold and he's still under contract (at $3 million per year) for 2019-20 and then another 2 years as an advisor.  

 

While Fenton may want to promote his friend Dean Evason...what will that really change?  You think Suter and Parise will suddenly start to listen to this guy who's never been an NHL bench boss before?  See Mike Yeo...

 

For all your want to get rid of Boudreau, this team never COMPLETELY GAVE UP on Boudreau the way they did with Yeo.  This team disappointed at home, yes.  But I think we recognize that isn't Boudreau's issue.  He's doing the job and quite honestly, the team needs him more than he needs the team.  He doesn't have to prove himself with this franchise.  

 

Ownership isn't as much playing the GM in this case; but he's allowing a toxic power dynamic to rule his franchise and the GM and Coach is supposed to sort of work around it.  The problem is...you can't.  You can try to shuffle other lines etc, but you have to always keep #20 and #11 happy first above anything else.  Above wins, anything...as long as those two are content and are not going to whine about their playing time and opportunity.  Sorry, that makes it untenable for any coach to really make it work; especially as these two highly paid, highly entitled players get older, slower and more fragile. 

 

The dope story is that Boudreau's dead man walking...but unless he leaves on his own, I think he'll stay for now.  After this season, unless we see a dramatic shift in the team's fortunes you're probably right.  But this season wasn't a dumpster fire because of Boudreau...it is because of the culture of very comfortable veteran players who show up and play when they feel like it.  And I don't think all of them really want to win it all.  I think many are fine with the low pressure, unreal autonomy to do as they wish and if that means the season ends in early April then so be it.  

 

Like others have noted...look who had a smile on his face after our recent home shutout loss against Boston.  That says it all right there...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      If I was Boudreau, I'd hand in my resignation at the Dallas post game conference.    And then I'd burn it to the ground...   As far as the next coach, who in their right mind would want to take over this dumpster fire knowing that neither the GM nor the owner have your back?
    • 3
      Post
      I don't think the Wild had any intention of not making the Playoffs. The signings they made (Fehr, Brown, Hendricks, etc.) were simply guys to fill out the fourth line. Nothing special. Even Pateryn was brought in to fill out the third defensive pairing. These guys were brought in as complementary pieces, something to shore up perceived weaknesses, not something that will push the team to the next level. But the fourth line and the third defensive pairing were not the Wild's problem.  
    • 2
      Post
      Even though it is two games early, the Wild are officially done with any playoff chases, so figured, wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling on some sort off season general thread where news, notes, fears, horrors, or miracles can be talked about....and hopefully this thread develops nicely IF Wild management makes some good decisions over the Spring and Summer. What ails the team will NOT be fixed in a single off season, but still, a good summer can ensure that perhaps some fans will be able t
    • 2
      Post
      I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with what the Wild do this off-season...
    • 2
      Post
      What does that even mean? If this is not a rebuild what is? We've already dumped the age group at the middle. We can't get rid of some and surely we aren't keeping the Browns and the Rasks in the long run. 
    • 2
      Post
      Fenton has a different definition of “rebuild” than most people do. The same way he has a different definition of “game breaker” than most people do...   Would not surprise me if Brown is buried in Iowa next year or even bought out. Rask  is going nowhere for at least a year, because if Fenton buys him out or trades him it means he made a mistake, and he’s not going to admit to that. 
×
×
  • Create New...