Panic Button Time?

As mentioned previously, I gave the Leafs a free pass a few weeks back for their poor play because we all knew they had a playoff spot secured and the games didn't really matter. I said that a team wants to get hot as they enter the playoffs so that they're playing well as round one begins. 

Well, now I'm concerned. Even though the last few games against Carolina, Tampa, and Montreal don't mean anything for Toronto in the standings, this is a valuable playoff "tune up" and the Leafs don't appear ready.  A rather uninspiring 4-1 loss to Carolina the other night is an issue. The Hurricanes are playing a playoff style of game right now.... and the Leafs aren't. 

Is this team going to flip a switch when game #1 arrives against Boston?  Or are the Leafs going to find themselves down 0-2 or 0-3 in the series before they finally wake up and start playing like it counts?  Thoughts?  :(

Well it was a nice effort against the Lightning last night, but the Leafs came up short. Probably the Leafs entire season encapsulated in one game right there. They're good enough to make the playoffs, but that's about all they can do. The NHL and NBA have this unique class of teams which enter the playoffs with no realistic chance of winning a championship (other than by injuries and dumb puck bounces). You can't say that about MLB or the NFL. That begs the question of: "Why have them in the playoffs in the first place?"  (See my separate thread on that topic if you're interested.)

The Leafs have one game left and one last chance to get over 100 points. They'll be playing a Montreal team that (like Toronto) has nothing at stake for this game and will probably be playing at "regular season" intensity level... so I'm predicting a Leafs win here to finish the season off. 

The Leafs are 3-7 in their last 10 games, entering the playoffs cold. A loss to Montreal and you can make that "ice cold".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What in the devil are the Leafs going to do this weekend?  Are there big trades looming?  It seems like their is a huge unrest here. They feel like they are closer than they have been in ages, yet some of the guys that could help get them over the hump seem to be ready to jump ship?  Is Babcock going to get the bilge pump going and keep the bloody ship afloat?  Or is going to scuttle it and jump overboard?   The Sharks are circling