Game 81: Flyers at Blues; 4/4/19 at 8

Howie58

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What no go Eagles???

No go 6ers???

Yeah i know i don't do baseball or basketball...i got nothing to watch till kickoff time....

:bonkingheadonwall:

Go Beavers! 

(my SwiftKey keyboard tried to make that "Go Grabbers!" which  to me, is funny as hell) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is a good list i have no issues with it.

I wouldn't mind keeping Morin though just not ready to get rid of a 6-7 defenseman who can skate like he does and bring the snarl this team lacks.

Sorry i like all the players you listed but one thing that lack is toughness the NHL requires. TK and Coots are close.

This team already is soft. I don't want to make it softer especially if you move Hagg or Gudas.

But with Moin for the right return i could be persuaded. 

I forgot about Morin. He's a keeper. I think he's a guy that's going to hit 240 - 245 at his prime playing weight and he's going to be a monster on the ice. You need that big physical guy so that Tom Wilson doesn't get out of line. That's the reality - none of the guys right now on the club can handle him and Morin has already given it to him in a rookie game a few years back. I don't mind if Morin plays on a bottom pairing and only gets 16 to 18 minutes a night. He's a must. I don't see Hagg and Gudas as guys who can handle Wilson or guys of his stature. 

As for forwards with toughness, yeah, I get that nobody up front has that toughness. But toughness and skill are such a rare commodity now with the game is going, simply because speed kills and toughness/skill/speed don't seem to go together as players are often missing those elements. For instance, Tyrell Goulbourne is tough and has speed to burn, but doesn't have the skill. Nick Ritchie from Anaheim has toughness and skill, but lacks serious footspeed. So I'm not sure how to fix the toughness issue up front. I'm guessing that the Flyers have their fingers crossed that Wade Allison (who I've heard will sign later in the summer but that he wants to be healthy first) can be that guy. Ratcliffe is a possibility, but he's razor thin and will take some time getting acclimated at the AHL level.

In terms of the draft this year, there's really nobody who stands out in the first round that has the speed/skill/toughness quotient that the Flyers could use. I'd love to see them make a deal for Max Jones in Anaheim as I think he fits the bill perfectly with what the Flyers need on the wings and he adds that toughness/skill/speed factor that they lack. I don't know if Anaheim would move him or Nick Ritchie though, but those are two guys who would fit a definite need on the Flyers.

As for the pick, we're looking at probably the 10th overall pick and that's a premium pick when you consider it's in the top third of the draft. If the Flyers can't move it to get an impact defenseman (not sure who they can get, but if it were a guy like a Parayko or a Pietrangelo, that would be off the chart), then I could see them select a guy like Bowen Bryam or a Matthew Boldy. 

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I could see them select a guy like Bowen Bryam or a Matthew Boldy. 

I'm good with those. I'm starting to wonder, though if either are still there because they both seem to be rising. 

Cozens is starting to look like he could fall to 8-10. If so, I'll take the gift. 

He's not at all what you and OR are talking about (in fact, he's smallish) but if your guys are gone, I'm taking a long hard look at Cole Caufield. 

But if we're not winning a top 3 pick, I'd just as soon see us trade it. 

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm good with those. I'm starting to wonder, though if either are still there because they both seem to be rising. 

Cozens is starting to look like he could fall to 8-10. If so, I'll take the gift. 

He's not at all what you and OR are talking about (in fact, he's smallish) but if your guys are gone, I'm taking a long hard look at Cole Caufield. 

But if we're not winning a top 3 pick, I'd just as soon see us trade it. 

I've seen some scouting reports and Bryam and Boldy have fallen. I'd have no problems with Caufield either. DeBrincat and Gaudreau have shown that smaller players in Caufield's weight range can play in this league and not just play, but thrive. You simply can't hit what you can't catch. 

I have no problems trading the pick, but I really want it to go towards a defenseman that can really help make a difference on the club. I mentioned a player of Parayko or Pietrangelo's ilk, but I'd have no problems if the 10 was used to get a guy like Jacob Trouba or even Seth Jones (if Columbus is desperate). 

If the Flyers need a first round pick, that's where they could deal a guy like Ghost (not popular, but I'm getting the impression that management is not a fan of him) and recoup that pick (I look at Buffalo as a team that could really use Ghost and the Flyers could still get that 20 pick that belonged to St.Louis) and still end up drafting a player like Nathan Legare or Connor McMichael or Caufield. 

The Flyers have options and cap space (which should really help them in terms of being players and more important - being able to dictate trades from a position of strength in terms of finances and being able to take on bad contracts and get some sweet pieces). I'm not so much worried about Fletcher, but I have some concern with Nature Boy Brent Flahr being so close to Chuck's ear.

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

You must not have been reading very carefully.

I'm fine some back and forth, have a really good sense of humor and for the most part enjoy our interactions here even when they get heated.

Perhaps you're not familiar with the "pop culture sensation" Marie Kondo ?

tl:dr - she throws things away.

I do think coaching fixes many of the problems.

I also think the guys under 26 are where the strength of the team will be shortly, I think Hextall found some good players and with good coaching the team will be good and fun to watch again.  Right now though- ugh can't take it, they suck.

Also, find a person on this forum who has written more nasty things about Dave Scott than me...I'll wait.

here's a time saver- you won't. lumping me in with corporate douches...not cool-buddy, not cool

Sorry Mojo, honestly. That was sarcasm, one of our coping mechanisms up here during long cold winters with crappy hockey.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I forgot about Morin. He's a keeper. I think he's a guy that's going to hit 240 - 245 at his prime playing weight and he's going to be a monster on the ice. You need that big physical guy so that Tom Wilson doesn't get out of line.

Not sure if you caught this during the game but i laughed my ass off for several minutes after seeing this..llok how easily he just sends Robby Fabbri flying with a simple unintentional push...

...dude look like a rag doll...he wasn't even noticing him even...they certainly need him when they need a more physical presence in the lineup. They just need to find a coach who can sort the rest of the defense out and get them to actually play some defense.

It's nice to be able to add offense but if you can't keep the puck out your net does it even matter if you score if you turn around and give it right back up??

This whole team needs a new system to buy into and that is one thing i haven't seen from Gordon...he has gotten by on better goaltending but even when playing the top teams in the league it's not enough.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, OccamsRazor said:

What no go Eagles???

No go 6ers???

Yeah i know i don't do baseball or basketball...i got nothing to watch till kickoff time....

:bonkingheadonwall:

I’m 100% Go Eagles except for the fact they are out of season.  I’m pretty agnostic on the 76ers. I’ve tried and tried but have a hard time getting excited about basketball.