Cammalleri traded?

Guest JackStraw

Don't know anything about Holland but still seems like not such a great return for a guy with Cammalleri's scoring touch.

Yes and no. Camerelli has been very inconsistent throughout his career. 5 of the 7 years he has played in the nhl, he has only put up 50 points. The outlier years: 06-07 80 points with the Kings and 08-09 82 points with the Flames.

He mostly seems like a 25 g guy. Which is fine, but his contract of 6M is very steep. Just think how we bemoan Hartnells contract of 4m and he is essentially a 25 g guy prior to his career year this year.

So, the return seems light, yet Calgary is taking that monster contract for two more seasons after the current one.

Additionally, with Montreal moving that contract, they now have 8.2 in cap available without need for any LTIR relief. Where as the Flames are currently cap compliant, but they have players on LTIR. Once everyone is healthy, they will be 2.5M over the cap and will need to shed players / cap to become compliant.

When you look at it in that light, you can see why the return was not as significant as you might have thought it should be.

I think this is a smart move for the Habs. I like Cammalleri, but he's not a consistent player, and not one that makes his linemates better. And, I'm sure no one will ever admit this publicly, but 'tanking' seems like a pretty good approach right now. They likely won't make the playoffs, so why push a higher seeding for nothing when you have one of the deepest drafts in a long time coming up?

Additionally, with Montreal moving that contract, they now have 8.2 in cap available without need for any LTIR relief. Where as the Flames are currently cap compliant, but they have players on LTIR. Once everyone is healthy, they will be 2.5M over the cap and will need to shed players / cap to become compliant.

Adds a bit of creedance to the other rumors swirling around that Iginla will be traded away.

I think this is a smart move for the Habs. I like Cammalleri, but he's not a consistent player, and not one that makes his linemates better. And, I'm sure no one will ever admit this publicly, but 'tanking' seems like a pretty good approach right now. They likely won't make the playoffs, so why push a higher seeding for nothing when you have one of the deepest drafts in a long time coming up?

Nail Yakupov doesn't parlez vous francais. But I agree bre, the Habs need an influx of fresh talent. They are so bad.

Yes and no. Camerelli has been very inconsistent throughout his career. 5 of the 7 years he has played in the nhl, he has only put up 50 points. The outlier years: 06-07 80 points with the Kings and 08-09 82 points with the Flames.

He mostly seems like a 25 g guy. Which is fine, but his contract of 6M is very steep. Just think how we bemoan Hartnells contract of 4m and he is essentially a 25 g guy prior to his career year this year.

So, the return seems light, yet Calgary is taking that monster contract for two more seasons after the current one.

When you look at it in that light, you can see why the return was not as significant as you might have thought it should be.

Prorating the contract (using nhlnumbers here), Calgary is responsible for 2.822m against the cap this season. Next season, they have 12 UFAs that have been on the NHL roster, and 5 RFAs. They will easily make cap space, as Jokinen's 3m and Sarich's 3.6m both expire after this season.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/CGY?year=2012

Prorating the contract (using nhlnumbers here), Calgary is responsible for 2.822m against the cap this season. Next season, they have 12 UFAs that have been on the NHL roster, and 5 RFAs. They will easily make cap space, as Jokinen's 3m and Sarich's 3.6m both expire after this season.

http://nhlnumbers.co...s/CGY?year=2012

I plead ignorance. I borrowed my numbers from an article at tsn.ca. It would not be the first time they are wrong. Being the a-rentitive I am (and just like doing analytics), I will go "fact check". :-)