Round #1 Eastern Conference: NY Islanders (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

pilldoc

Round #1 Eastern Conference: NY Islandes (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Peguins (M3)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Islanders sweep
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7
    • Penguins sweep
    • Penguins in 5
    • Peguins in 6
    • Peguins in 7

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just crazy how fast Trotz has turned this team around.

And after they lost JT.

Who knew.

If the Isles would have  traded him instead of letting him walk, I wonder how much better they'd be now.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, ruxpin said:

This is the way I went for almost exactly the same reason. I, too, don't think it's a particularly hard pick. 

So, of course, you're wrong. 

ahem.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

ahem.

For the record, I told you that you were wrong. Lol. 

I didn't see a minute of that (or any) series.  My exhaustion level is reaching critical mass.  But was this series about the Isles or the Pens? Or both?  In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

• Sad 1

New York Islanders Have Second Best Odds To Win Stanley Cup

Caps 5/1#Isles 7/1
Flames 8/1
Blues 8/1
Golden Knights 8/1
Blue Jackets 9/1
Bruins 12/1
Predators 12/1
Lightning 12/1
Leafs 12/1
Sharks 18/1
Stars 20/1
Jets 20/1      
Avs 25/1
Pens 40/1                  
Hurricanes 50/1

I thought Murray was pretty mediocre in this series, when I watched I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched.

The Pens had times when they were really bringing it, but so did the Isles...The difference to me was the Isles goalie didn't get beaten short side from bad angles and Murray did. 

For everyone wondering if the Pens kept the right keeper, the answer is becoming more clear by the day. 

And Kudos for the Islanders they played their structure, they played with good pace. Barry Trotz has gotten a lot more out of that roster than I thought was there for certain, I hope he is in consideration for the Adams because that has been a historic turn around. 

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I didn't see a minute of that (or any) series.  My exhaustion level is reaching critical mass.  But was this series about the Isles or the Pens? Or both?  In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

They were on most of the time while I was watching the CBJ so I caught a lot at commercial breaks and whenever possible, I would say I watched 20-25 percent of the play, what I saw was Lehner looking like Battling Billy Smith in there, finally living up to the hype that he came into the league with. He absolutely deserves all the props that he has been receiving for marvelous play in the series. 

Pittsburgh looked old and the defense looked slow, I know a lot of folks thought Kessel was going to be traded at the end of last season and I would bet he is the scape goat for the quick out, Malkin and sid are Gods in Pittsburgh and Guentzel is still a kid, someone has to take the blame, I think Kessel will see his head lopped as if he were Ned Stark.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

:thinking:I wonder if the Pens now regret letting go of MAF?? :thinking:

Nope. Not at all. Murray has two Cups under his belt already. If they kept MAF they don't resign Dumoulin (quickly emerging as one of the best shut-down defensemen in the league). I'll take Murray/Dumo for Fleury every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Murray wasn't great but I don't put this on him at all. The team in front of him pretty much from top to bottom didn't play well.

21 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

They were on most of the time while I was watching the CBJ so I caught a lot at commercial breaks and whenever possible, I would say I watched 20-25 percent of the play, what I saw was Lehner looking like Battling Billy Smith in there, finally living up to the hype that he came into the league with. He absolutely deserves all the props that he has been receiving for marvelous play in the series. 

Pittsburgh looked old and the defense looked slow, I know a lot of folks thought Kessel was going to be traded at the end of last season and I would bet he is the scape goat for the quick out, Malkin and sid are Gods in Pittsburgh and Guentzel is still a kid, someone has to take the blame, I think Kessel will see his head lopped as if he were Ned Stark.

Kessel as a "scapegoat" started well before the playoffs. If he goes (and I think he will) it won't be "just" because of this series. This could be the hypothetical nail in his coffin though. When you play iffy D under a coach like Sullivan and have a stretch of something like 2-3 months during the regular season without an even strength goal....well....let's just say I wouldn't be looking at new houses.  

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Isles. The Pens couldn't (or didn't) play the kind of game needed to beat a team like the Isles. The better "team" won this series. If there is a silver lining, I'm really looking forward to Trotz facing the Caps (assuming the Cans don't pull a Blue Jackets) in the next round.

14 minutes ago, B21 said:

If they kept MAF they don't resign Dumoulin (quickly emerging as one of the best shut-down defensemen in the league). I'll take Murray/Dumo for Fleury every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Had they kept MAF maybe some other dominoes (don't) fall ? I don't follow your team the way you do, but it seems to me there are a fair number of guys that have developed into pretty decent defensemen that once skated for the Pens, Robert Bortuzzo is playing big, tough, minutes in StL pretty well...would he have been able to stick around ?  

The Pens don't win the last cup without MAF stealing the TBL series then being stand up teammate and going back to #2 once Murray came back.  

Flower has been critical to the success of the VGK, I will admit there is a lot of talent on that roster this year-but last year ?

MAF and Murray, It was a good problem to have at the time, and maybe Murray hits his stride next year ?

He can't seem to stay healthy, which is the thing talent can't overcome. Meanwhile MAF is playing 60 games a year and playing deep into the spring. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Had they kept MAF maybe some other dominoes (don't) fall ? I don't follow your team the way you do, but it seems to me there are a fair number of guys that have developed into pretty decent defensemen that once skated for the Pens, Robert Bortuzzo is playing big, tough, minutes in StL pretty well...would he have been able to stick around ?  

The Pens don't win the last cup without MAF stealing the TBL series then being stand up teammate and going back to #2 once Murray came back.  

Flower has been critical to the success of the VGK, I will admit there is a lot of talent on that roster this year-but last year ?

MAF and Murray, It was a good problem to have at the time, and maybe Murray hits his stride next year ?

He can't seem to stay healthy, which is the thing talent can't overcome. Meanwhile MAF is playing 60 games a year and playing deep into the spring. 

Good points. Remember though, Murray got his chance because of Fleury's injuries (concussions). 7-8 year age gap. $4,000,000 salary gap. At the time it was a no-brainer. I still think it is. Fleury has gotten better with age but I don't think anyone saw that coming.  Goaltending is the least of the Pens' concerns these days.

• Like 2