Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

pilldoc

Round #1 Eastern Conference: NY Islanders (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Round #1 Eastern Conference: NY Islandes (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Peguins (M3)  

14 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the series?

    • Islanders sweep
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7
    • Penguins sweep
      0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Peguins in 6
    • Peguins in 7


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Just crazy how fast Trotz has turned this team around.

 

And after they lost JT.

 

Who knew.

If the Isles would have  traded him instead of letting him walk, I wonder how much better they'd be now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, ruxpin said:

This is the way I went for almost exactly the same reason. I, too, don't think it's a particularly hard pick. 

 

So, of course, you're wrong. 

ahem.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

ahem.

For the record, I told you that you were wrong. Lol. 

 

I didn't see a minute of that (or any) series.  My exhaustion level is reaching critical mass.  But was this series about the Isles or the Pens? Or both?  In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

 

Both .... from the few minutes of each game I saw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New York Islanders Have Second Best Odds To Win Stanley Cup

Caps 5/1#Isles 7/1
Flames 8/1
Blues 8/1
Golden Knights 8/1
Blue Jackets 9/1
Bruins 12/1
Predators 12/1
Lightning 12/1
Leafs 12/1
Sharks 18/1
Stars 20/1
Jets 20/1      
Avs 25/1
Pens 40/1                  
Hurricanes 50/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Murray was pretty mediocre in this series, when I watched I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched.

The Pens had times when they were really bringing it, but so did the Isles...The difference to me was the Isles goalie didn't get beaten short side from bad angles and Murray did. 

 

For everyone wondering if the Pens kept the right keeper, the answer is becoming more clear by the day. 

 

And Kudos for the Islanders they played their structure, they played with good pace. Barry Trotz has gotten a lot more out of that roster than I thought was there for certain, I hope he is in consideration for the Adams because that has been a historic turn around. 

 

Edited by mojo1917

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

For the record, I told you that you were wrong. Lol. 

 

I didn't see a minute of that (or any) series.  My exhaustion level is reaching critical mass.  But was this series about the Isles or the Pens? Or both?  In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

They were on most of the time while I was watching the CBJ so I caught a lot at commercial breaks and whenever possible, I would say I watched 20-25 percent of the play, what I saw was Lehner looking like Battling Billy Smith in there, finally living up to the hype that he came into the league with. He absolutely deserves all the props that he has been receiving for marvelous play in the series. 

 Pittsburgh looked old and the defense looked slow, I know a lot of folks thought Kessel was going to be traded at the end of last season and I would bet he is the scape goat for the quick out, Malkin and sid are Gods in Pittsburgh and Guentzel is still a kid, someone has to take the blame, I think Kessel will see his head lopped as if he were Ned Stark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

:thinking:I wonder if the Pens now regret letting go of MAF?? :thinking:

 

Nope. Not at all. Murray has two Cups under his belt already. If they kept MAF they don't resign Dumoulin (quickly emerging as one of the best shut-down defensemen in the league). I'll take Murray/Dumo for Fleury every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Murray wasn't great but I don't put this on him at all. The team in front of him pretty much from top to bottom didn't play well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

They were on most of the time while I was watching the CBJ so I caught a lot at commercial breaks and whenever possible, I would say I watched 20-25 percent of the play, what I saw was Lehner looking like Battling Billy Smith in there, finally living up to the hype that he came into the league with. He absolutely deserves all the props that he has been receiving for marvelous play in the series. 

 Pittsburgh looked old and the defense looked slow, I know a lot of folks thought Kessel was going to be traded at the end of last season and I would bet he is the scape goat for the quick out, Malkin and sid are Gods in Pittsburgh and Guentzel is still a kid, someone has to take the blame, I think Kessel will see his head lopped as if he were Ned Stark.

 

Kessel as a "scapegoat" started well before the playoffs. If he goes (and I think he will) it won't be "just" because of this series. This could be the hypothetical nail in his coffin though. When you play iffy D under a coach like Sullivan and have a stretch of something like 2-3 months during the regular season without an even strength goal....well....let's just say I wouldn't be looking at new houses.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

For the record, I told you that you were wrong. Lol. 

 

I didn't see a minute of that (or any) series.  My exhaustion level is reaching critical mass.  But was this series about the Isles or the Pens? Or both?  In other words, did I grossly underestimate the Isles or grossly overestimate the Pens? 

 

Isles. The Pens couldn't (or didn't) play the kind of game needed to beat a team like the Isles. The better "team" won this series. If there is a silver lining, I'm really looking forward to Trotz facing the Caps (assuming the Cans don't pull a Blue Jackets) in the next round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, B21 said:

If they kept MAF they don't resign Dumoulin (quickly emerging as one of the best shut-down defensemen in the league). I'll take Murray/Dumo for Fleury every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Had they kept MAF maybe some other dominoes (don't) fall ? I don't follow your team the way you do, but it seems to me there are a fair number of guys that have developed into pretty decent defensemen that once skated for the Pens, Robert Bortuzzo is playing big, tough, minutes in StL pretty well...would he have been able to stick around ?  

The Pens don't win the last cup without MAF stealing the TBL series then being stand up teammate and going back to #2 once Murray came back.  

Flower has been critical to the success of the VGK, I will admit there is a lot of talent on that roster this year-but last year ?

 

MAF and Murray, It was a good problem to have at the time, and maybe Murray hits his stride next year ?

He can't seem to stay healthy, which is the thing talent can't overcome. Meanwhile MAF is playing 60 games a year and playing deep into the spring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Had they kept MAF maybe some other dominoes (don't) fall ? I don't follow your team the way you do, but it seems to me there are a fair number of guys that have developed into pretty decent defensemen that once skated for the Pens, Robert Bortuzzo is playing big, tough, minutes in StL pretty well...would he have been able to stick around ?  

The Pens don't win the last cup without MAF stealing the TBL series then being stand up teammate and going back to #2 once Murray came back.  

Flower has been critical to the success of the VGK, I will admit there is a lot of talent on that roster this year-but last year ?

 

MAF and Murray, It was a good problem to have at the time, and maybe Murray hits his stride next year ?

He can't seem to stay healthy, which is the thing talent can't overcome. Meanwhile MAF is playing 60 games a year and playing deep into the spring. 

 

 

Good points. Remember though, Murray got his chance because of Fleury's injuries (concussions). 7-8 year age gap. $4,000,000 salary gap. At the time it was a no-brainer. I still think it is. Fleury has gotten better with age but I don't think anyone saw that coming.  Goaltending is the least of the Pens' concerns these days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      I don't know the WHOLE story, but I thought I read somewhere that Lehner battled not only with conditioning and weight gain, but also with demons regarding vices while he was with Ottawa and Buffalo. If I remember correctly, he was also dealing with symptoms of depression of some sort as well. He joined the Islanders in much better shape, and according to some insiders, seems to have kicked many of his self destructive habits, and is now, with the support of family and friends, much more fo
    • 2
      Post
      If the Isles would have  traded him instead of letting him walk, I wonder how much better they'd be now.
    • 2
      Post
      Good points. Remember though, Murray got his chance because of Fleury's injuries (concussions). 7-8 year age gap. $4,000,000 salary gap. At the time it was a no-brainer. I still think it is. Fleury has gotten better with age but I don't think anyone saw that coming.  Goaltending is the least of the Pens' concerns these days.
    • 1
      Post
      This is the way I went for almost exactly the same reason. I, too, don't think it's a particularly hard pick.    So, of course, you're wrong. 
    • 1
      Post
      Isles in 7. David Volek gets the GWG in OTin Game 7.😋
    • 1
      Post
      that seems to be the million dollar question right now ...dosen't it.    I find it comical how HJ thought the Sabres were cutting adrift junk.  I tend to go with the latter....Sabres and especially the Sens were/are very inept.   think about this stat .....Risto had a (-41) this  year with Sabres and for a career his is an astonishing (-143)!   so yeah ...I think Lehner had a rather porous defense in front of him.......
×
×
  • Create New...