2019 Off-Season

A few interesting names / ideas I've heard bandied about...

William Karlsson - Vegas is in a cap crunch because of the Pacioretty and Stone contracts... .Karlsson is an RFA. Ghost for Karlsson? He'd be a perfect 2C, and also very defensively responsible. 

Nik Ehlers - Not sure if/why he's on the trading block, but I've seen his name a lot. He's a LW and would be a huge improvement over a guy like Lindblom.

Edited by brelic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brelic said:

William Karlsson - Vegas is in a cap crunch because of the Pacioretty and Stone contracts... .Karlsson is an RFA. Ghost for Karlsson? He'd be a perfect 2C, and also very defensively responsible. 

Nik Ehlers - Not sure if/why he's on the trading block, but I've seen his name a lot. He's a LW and would be a huge improvement over a guy like Lindblom.

Not sure if the teams would do this for Ghost but these are the types of young forwards i would be willing to move Ghost for.

My biggest complaint with Karlsson is he isn't under contract and not sure what he would want contract wise.

Ehlers has 6 more years at 6 mill per so he is already more controlled.

Karlsson is the biggest need though. You could flip Giorux to the right side to accommodate Ehlers though.

Ehlers played on the Jets 2nd line is he ready for top line duty??

Ehlers - Couturier - Giroux would make a nice top line.

Karlsson would be bumped down to the Flyers 2nd line would he be ok with that??

JVR - Karlsson - Voracek would make a very nice 2nd line too.

However would these teams do this straight up?? I wouldn't want to include anymore young guys in the package.

I would be willing to include some picks that is about it.

I think i would like Ehlers better for 2 reasons. He is more proven and is younger.

You could go out and still sign a 2nd line center.

3 hours ago, brelic said:

Don't need help on the left side.  Need help on the right side.  

Reticent to give up Ghost without knowing for sure a solid Veteran like Tyler Myers or that other bloke from Winnepeg is coming in.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

So include Lindblom in the deal. Ehlers is better than Lindblom will likely ever be. Winnipeg has a cap crunch, so we can take some talent off their hands :)

G, JVR, and Ehlers is a pretty solid top 3 LW.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Reticent to give up Ghost without knowing for sure a solid Veteran like Tyler Myers or that other bloke from Winnepeg is coming in.

Yeah, I'm sure Fletch would be aware of that as well. So I'm building that assumption in that he will have a plan to plug any holes he creates. 

We're just so used to Homer creating holes, and then keep digging, and digging. 

20 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not really.

Ehlers - Couturier - Giroux

JVR - ?????? - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

This could work.

So go out and sign a Hayes or Nelson to plug into the 2nd line center spot and roll with it.

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

So include Lindblom in the deal. Ehlers is better than Lindblom will likely ever be. Winnipeg has a cap crunch, so we can take some talent off their hands :)

G, JVR, and Ehlers is a pretty solid top 3 LW.

Yeah, I'm sure Fletch would be aware of that as well. So I'm building that assumption in that he will have a plan to plug any holes he creates. 

We're just so used to Homer creating holes, and then keep digging, and digging. 

I'd rather get Trouba off their hands.

I really don't know about filling the holes.  Difficult at this point to know what Fletch sees as the holes.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not really.

Ehlers - Couturier - Giroux

JVR - ?????? - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny

Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

This could work.

So go out and sign a Hayes or Nelson to plug into the 2nd line center spot and roll with it.

I'd just as soon stop moving Giroux around.  But whatever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He played RW in juniors. He will be fine with the flip to the other side. Who knows maybe even more effective.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

He played RW in juniors. He will be fine with the flip to the other side. Who knows maybe even more effective.

He played RW when he first came up too I think.  That was 11 years ago now. 

I think you go after the best winger on either side you can get and I guess if it moves Giroux to the RW, then so be it.  It just wouldn't be my first choice.  

I just don't want to add two long contracts at fwd.  I'm feeling pretty confident that Frost, Farabee and Radcliffe are going to make things interesting in the next two seasons.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I just don't want to add two long contracts at fwd.

6 more years for a forward making 6 mill a year is very decent contract....the kid is 24 in January this will carry him till he is 30.

He is already a two time 60 point player. He dealt with some injuries this year but otherwise played 82 games the last two years.

Last year he put up 29 goals as a 22 year old...Giroux has only put up 29+ goals once in his career. I don't understand what is not to like about the deal....except having to give up Ghost for him. But you have to give to get.

You would still have a hell of a blueline.

Provorov - Stralman

Sanheim - Myers

Morin - Gudas

Hagg

Friedman for first call up duty.

If you were to go out and sign Anton just for the conversation's sake that is a solid group for next year.

In fact more than anything i would shocked to see the Jets trade Ehlers...but if they do i would be listening.

30 minutes ago, King Knut said:

His least effective stretches this year were when he was C and RW. They found a great spot for him on LW, so I'd rather they not move our best player around to a spot where he's less effective. 

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so what would???

Giroux Coots Marner

JVR  Pavelski  Voracek

Lindblom Patty  TK 

Raffl Laughton Hartman

Joking aside, let's not forget that Fletcher has his own RFAs to worry about as well.  

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

His least effective stretches this year were when he was C and RW. They found a great spot for him on LW, so I'd rather they not move our best player around to a spot where he's less effective. 

I have no evidence to back that up, but I fully support this assertion because it coincides with my POV :)

• Haha 1

I also read Anthony Mantha may be on the block and Detroit wants a defenseman.  Is Ghost for Mantha a fair deal? We really need a center and veteran dman the most. Lets say we signed Tyler Meyers and  Kevin Hayes, then trading Ghost for Mantha mike make sense. 

In making moves like this, we only give up one asset but add three pieces to the team.If we are going after a guy like Trouba, then Ghost would have to be used for part of that trade.

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I also read Anthony Mantha may be on the block and Detroit wants a defenseman.  Is Ghost for Mantha a fair deal? We really need a center and veteran dman the most. Lets say we signed Tyler Meyers and  Kevin Hayes, then trading Ghost for Mantha mike make sense. 

In making moves like this, we only give up one asset but add three pieces to the team.If we are going after a guy like Trouba, then Ghost would have to be used for part of that trade.

Question where would you put Mantha?

RW: Konecny, Voracek already.

You want him to slot in the 3rd line spot?

Ot bump the other two?

I'd rather trade for Anthanasiou than Mantha.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

6 more years for a forward making 6 mill a year is very decent contract....the kid is 24 in January this will carry him till he is 30.

He is already a two time 60 point player. He dealt with some injuries this year but otherwise played 82 games the last two years.

Last year he put up 29 goals as a 22 year old...Giroux has only put up 29+ goals once in his career. I don't understand what is not to like about the deal....except having to give up Ghost for him. But you have to give to get.

You would still have a hell of a blueline.

Provorov - Stralman

Sanheim - Myers

Morin - Gudas

Hagg

Friedman for first call up duty.

If you were to go out and sign Anton just for the conversation's sake that is a solid group for next year.

In fact more than anything i would shocked to see the Jets trade Ehlers...but if they do i would be listening.

I'm fine with Ehlers per se.  I think if you bring him in, you listen to any and all offers for JVR though.  

With Wheeler's contrat kicking in at the higher cap hit, the Jets essentially can't keep all of Myers, Trouba, Laine and Hayes.  Depending on what happens with their other RFAs, they may only be able to keep two of them.  If they plan on letting Myers go on 7/1, they may be listening to offers for the likes of Ehlers for a D man and plan on resigning Hayes at a discount.  It's not impossible I guess.  

Do you make them an offer before 7/1?  Something like Ghost and Lindblom for Ehlers and Hayes' rights?

21 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think if you bring him in, you listen to any and all offers for JVR though. 

Sure i get it i would listen to offers for anyone on the team. No harm in listening.

However i like what JVR brings to the team and he was and is intended to take Simmer's place in front of the net on the PP.

And i have to say if they can channel the tear he went on last year again with a better staff and a more experienced team in front of him there is no reason not to expect him to net 40+ next year. (i think he would have potted 40 last year had he not got injured to start the season and then get juggled all over the place.)

So not ready to move one of the most lethal scorers on the team right now.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure i get it i would listen to offers for anyone on the team. No harm in listening.

However i like what JVR brings to the team and he was and is intended to take Simmer's place in front of the net on the PP.

And i have to say if they can channel the tear he went on last year again with a better staff and a more experienced team in front of him there is no reason not to expect him to net 40+ next year. (i think he would have potted 40 last year had he not got injured to start the season and then get juggled all over the place.)

So not ready to move one of the most lethal scorers on the team right now.

Oh trust me, I'm also a bit of a JVR defender.  I think they got exactly what they expected and paid for from him.  27 g, 48 points in 66 games is essentially a 34 goal, 60 point season.  His injury was a bit of a fluke that could happen to anyone, so I don't worry about that either.  

If he does that in an off year when the PP isn't working for crap, imagine what he'll do if they even just bring the PP up to average?  

I only suggested him because he's got the highest paycheck with likely the fewest remaining years of upside.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If he does that in an off year when the PP isn't working for crap, imagine what he'll do if they even just bring the PP up to average?  

Bingo.

So i more want to add to this team before i start subtracting and that is even including Jake whom i have roasted on here for awhile.

Of course if the right deal comes along and it is the best for the team then i can roll with it.

Let's see what the new brain trust can do with this collection of misfits and go from there.

• Like 1

I expect a breakout season from Oskar Lindblom next year he has played well for team Sweden so far.

3 goals in 3 games last i looked. With the right linemates and minutes i think he pots 25 goals next year.

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bingo.

So i more want to add to this team before i start subtracting and that is even including Jake whom i have roasted on here for awhile.

Of course if the right deal comes along and it is the best for the team then i can roll with it.

Let's see what the new brain trust can do with this collection of misfits and go from there.

Only thing is, if Frost looks good in camp, I want him to get his shot... and not on the 4th line.  if they can pull in a 2C 3RW looks like a good slot for him.  

I know I know... we want to be patient and give him time, and I agree... I mean purely if he looks like he's a "special" player.  If he starts slow like Patty or most other Flyers rookies... ever...  just send him back down.

I don't want to sacrifice exceptional for the sake of good.  

However, I don't want to sacrifice good for the sake of a handful of magic beans.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Question where would you put Mantha?

RW: Konecny, Voracek already.

You want him to slot in the 3rd line spot?

Ot bump the other two?

I'd rather trade for Anthanasiou than Mantha.

I guess it depends if Voracek is traded, but I thought Mantha was a lefty? Anyway that story said Anthanasiou is also a trade possibility.