2019 Off-Season

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Right. So now we're back to guys like Kadri, Hayes, Eberle. 

Duchene will want term. Panarin would be a great boost, but he plays on a side of strength for this team (G/JVR/Lindblom). Not sure a $7M JVR on the 3rd line is the best use of assets.

William Karlsson would be my primary target. He had a down year so his value might be more reasonable with the expectation that he can bounce back at least somewhere between last year and the one prior.

Yes find another option and keep all these good assets they have acquired....stay away from the Holmgren move.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Right. So now we're back to guys like Kadri, Hayes, Eberle. 

Duchene will want term. Panarin would be a great boost, but he plays on a side of strength for this team (G/JVR/Lindblom). Not sure a $7M JVR on the 3rd line is the best use of assets.

William Karlsson would be my primary target. He had a down year so his value might be more reasonable with the expectation that he can bounce back at least somewhere between last year and the one prior.

Karlsson and Miller from Vegas for Hagg, Rubtsov, the rights to O'Brien and the number 11.

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

The biggest reason for pause, to me, is that Marner is unproven. He's done it once, let's see him do it again before backing up the asset and money truck. 

I just don't know if he's that good once removed from Toronto and the players around him.

Exactly and we don't even know how good Sanheim can be. I think he is a 60-70 point D man once he settles in.

Stay the course.

And for arguements sake what if Sanheim turns into a 70 point D man and TK turns into a 65-70 point forward.

You will have possibly given up 130-140 points for 94 and have a possible hole in the blueline.

I hope everyone here has come to their senses and were are chasing the dream...

..and Ghost was a 60 point D man one time too what if Marner is just a 70 point winger?

15 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Karlsson and Miller from Vegas for Hagg, Rubtsov, the rights to O'Brien and the number 11.

First gloss, I'm happy with this.   I liked the O'Brien pick when we did it and still have no idea what we have there, but neither does anyone else.  He'd be my pause, but I would do this move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly and we don't even know how good Sanheim can be. I think he is a 60-70 point D man once he settles in.

Stay the course.

I know that was the Hextall mantra, but that's clearly not Fletch's from his public statements and from those of Homer and Scott. They wanted a guy with a 'bias for action' and Fletch acknowledged in the nicest way possible that Patrick is not a 2C thus far. He also mentioned defensive help. 

I think we can count on at least 2 major moves this summer. They could be signings or trades, and I figure he'll try signings first. 

Just now, brelic said:

I know that was the Hextall mantra, but that's clearly not Fletch's from his public statements and from those of Homer and Scott. They wanted a guy with a 'bias for action' and Fletch acknowledged in the nicest way possible that Patrick is not a 2C thus far. He also mentioned defensive help. 

I think we can count on at least 2 major moves this summer. They could be signings or trades, and I figure he'll try signings first. 

Sure and find another option free agency hasn't even started.

Gut this team for a one season wonder and he will be unemployed before he knows it.

Marner with his lack of being a proven and the price tag that could put them in a Leafs type position when all their kids need new contracts too would be suicidal.

In fact the Flyers have arguably a top 3 farm system and a lot of young kids on the parent club and now other want to just blow it up for some magic beans before AV and his staff has even had a chance to work with any of them.

It has just gone off the rails here.

Guys step back from the ledge and let's not get crazy.

They have a lot of draft picks a lot of cap space and only a few holes let's not set ourselves back 5 to 10 years for a roll of the dice.

I get it with the frustration they aren't where they thought they would be.

But no one could have seen them need 8 goalies to finish the season.

Hell even with a little luck health wise there I think they would have made the playoffs.

But then we wouldn't know how good Hart could be.

Relax everyone.....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't know that that gets it done, but I'd do that if it does. Of course, the problem for Vegas is that unlike Toronto/Tampa who will go over the cap if they sign their guys, they can't afford Karlsson as it is - they are over the cap NOW. I was batting about with @OccamsRazor the bones of a Ghost for Karlsson/Miller deal. I think I'd be ok with that basis, and that's from a guy who doesn't want to trade Ghost. But that actually makes Vegas' problem worse. So if Karlsson does move, it will have to be for a prospect/pick quantity over quality deal, unless there is more salary coming back.

• Like 1

While everyone else is making offers to Marner , we should swoop in and offer Kapanen.  Toronto will certainly match for Marner so let the others waste their time. While Toronto is scrambling for cap space to pay Marner, they have no choice but  to forget Kapenan. 

Buy getting a quality young winger for basically a draft pick, we can then fill other areas via FA or trade. If we do have to trade a winger in a deal for a vet defenseman, by having Kapanen it doesn't hurt us  as much. So if we can get Kapenan,  sign a center, then all we have to trade for is a defenseman.  With this scenario,  we dont lose to many assets.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

While everyone else is making offers to Marner , we should swoop in and offer Kapanen.  Toronto will certainly match for Marner so let the others waste their time. While Toronto is scrambling for cap space to pay Marner, they have no choice but  to forget Kapenan. 

Buy getting a quality young winger for basically a draft pick, we can then fill other areas via FA or trade. If we do have to trade a winger in a deal for a vet defenseman, by having Kapanen it doesn't hurt us  as much. So if we can get Kapenan,  sign a center, then all we have to trade for is a defenseman.  With this scenario,  we dont lose to many assets.

So what is your plan where are you going to play him on the 3rd line RW spot?

Hopefully you are going to bump Konecny or Jake who have both been more productive than Kapanen...so is your plan after you get for arguements sake?

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hopefully you are going to bump Konecny or Jake who have both been more productive than Kapanen...so is your plan after you get for arguements sake?

I'd slot Kapanen in at 3RW, personally. He can continue to grow into a larger role, but if we were to do that and also get a solid 2C, we could be skating some pretty solid lines. 

The qurstion in this remains how high do you have to go to ward off Toronto yet not overpay someone who will be on the 3rd line for at least a season or two. 

But I'd be thrilled. 

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The added bonus is that I know two Maple Leaf fans that would be VERY upset. 

54 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd slot Kapanen in at 3RW, personally. He can continue to grow into a larger role, but if we were to do that and also get a solid 2C, we could be skating some pretty solid lines. 

The qurstion in this remains how high do you have to go to ward off Toronto yet not overpay someone who will be on the 3rd line for at least a season or two. 

But I'd be thrilled. 

I posited before that you could offer both him AND Johnsson. Bob McKenzie believes they're both going to get less than $3 million from the Leafs. Offer one at up to 4.2 per year for 5 years (2nd rounder), one at 4.3 for 5 (1st and 3rd). Force Toronto to make a choice. Now, if Johnsson files for arbitration, you can't sign him to an offer sheet. And unfortunately you can't go ~$4 million for each, because you only have one usable 2nd. So you'd have to play cat and mouse on which one you want more, and decide whether to offer that one low and hope Toronto goes for the higher compensation, or high and hope they don't match.

EDIT: That doesn't make sense. Higher compensation = not matching. I have a headache. 

Edited by AJgoal
  • Good Post 2

For now he can be the 3rd line RW and if we trade Jake for a dman or lose Jake in the expansion draft, we are covered. He only is costing us a 2nd rounder, so its worth the risk. Eventually as Jake diminishes and Kapenan improves, they can switch roles if Jake is still part of the team at that point.

Edited by RonJeremy

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

In fact the Flyers have arguably a top 3 farm system and a lot of young kids on the parent club and now other want to just blow it up for some magic beans before AV and his staff has even had a chance to work with any of them.

It has just gone off the rails here.

Guys step back from the ledge and let's not get crazy.

They have a lot of draft picks a lot of cap space and only a few holes let's not set ourselves back 5 to 10 years for a roll of the dice.

I get it with the frustration they aren't where they thought they would be.

But no one could have seen them need 8 goalies to finish the season.

Hell even with a little luck health wise there I think they would have made the playoffs.

But then we wouldn't know how good Hart could be.

Relax everyone.....

Here's the thing. There's only so many spots available for players. The Flyers have an embarrassment of riches that moving say a Sanheim or Meyers in a deal for Marner won't hurt as much because of the depth. That doesn't mean the team does it. It just means they have the pieces and it won't break the system. 

Personally, I'd love marner because he had gotten better by a significant margin every year he's played. And no, I certainly don't believe he's reached his pique. I also believe that last season, the Flyers just started scratching the surface of what Sanheim can do. 

In terms of the Karlsson/Miller deal I proposed, it's a deal that fills two specific spots on the roster, allows for flexibility of young players making the lineup and still allows the Flyers to make other trades to restock the cupboard (In looking at possibly Gudas and Ghost in particular) and it allows Meyers to play on a top 4 role. 

Anyway we look at it, this club is going to look very different in the fall. I'm also looking forward to Vigneault letting the forwards really push the play and I expect this should be an incredibly tough club to play against. There will be prospects departing though so I hope people are prepared for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

The added bonus is that I know two Maple Leaf fans that would be VERY upset. 

If you're first name isn't Mike, and your last name isn't Babcock, you're probably not their primary target.

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Here's the thing. There's only so many spots available for players. The Flyers have an embarrassment of riches that moving say a Sanheim or Meyers in a deal for Marner won't hurt as much because of the depth. That doesn't mean the team does it. It just means they have the pieces and it won't break the system. 

Personally, I'd love marner because he had gotten better by a significant margin every year he's played. And no, I certainly don't believe he's reached his pique. I also believe that last season, the Flyers just started scratching the surface of what Sanheim can do. 

In terms of the Karlsson/Miller deal I proposed, it's a deal that fills two specific spots on the roster, allows for flexibility of young players making the lineup and still allows the Flyers to make other trades to restock the cupboard (In looking at possibly Gudas and Ghost in particular) and it allows Meyers to play on a top 4 role. 

Anyway we look at it, this club is going to look very different in the fall. I'm also looking forward to Vigneault letting the forwards really push the play and I expect this should be an incredibly tough club to play against. There will be prospects departing though so I hope people are prepared for that. 

from what i heard from fletch's article, sounds like there are no prospects coming in, alot of holes are going to filled with vets, alot of prospects that were playing morin, myers, hagg unless they set the world on fire, might be going back to the phantoms. got a feeling that gudas and ghost could be moved as well and they are not committing to hart as a full time starter which is a good thing because of his age, it's not uncommon, we have seen goalies have a great rookie seasons and fall back to having slumps, i think it's going to be goalie by committee whether it's hart one game and another goalie the next game.

im excited for this offseason.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

from what i heard from fletch's article, sounds like there are no prospects coming in, alot of holes are going to filled with vets, alot of prospects that were playing morin, myers, hagg unless they set the world on fire, might be going back to the phantoms. got a feeling that gudas and ghost could be moved as well and they are not committing to hart as a full time starter which is a good thing because of his age, it's not uncommon, we have seen goalies have a great rookie seasons and fall back to having slumps, i think it's going to be goalie by committee whether it's hart one game and another goalie the next game.

im excited for this offseason.

I read the article and it wasn't quite that. Prospects will not be gifted spots and they're going to have to earn it. If they earn it, they'll play. Fletcher said the last thing he wants to do is make cuts in April and May. He did say they were going to be aggressive in free agency, but he wasn't sure if they could fill their needs that way. He mentioned signing a couple of 30+ year old players to 1 and 2 year deals of he thought they could help, but he also mentioned using some of the depth to possibly target a 25/26 year old that they could sign for the next 7-8 years. And yes, he did mention that he doesn't want to overwork Harry as the starter and that he wants to find a real good backup to support and help him because there's going to be bumps in the road. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

alot of prospects that were playing morin, myers, hagg unless they set the world on fire, might be going back to the phantoms.

These guys will be on the Flyers.

Morin and Hagg would require waivers to be sent down so no way they get sent down and play somewhere else for free.

Myers could be sent down but after what i seen from his recent play on team Canada no way that happens he is up to stay the Flyers blueline will be as follows in some fashion.

Provorov

Sanheim

Gostisbehere 

Myers

Hagg

Morin

Gudas

And a vet D man will ore than likely be added.

For the right deal someone could be moved out too still.

Mcdud i think will see the waiver wire and join the Phantoms for his last year.

Goalies of course Hart will start and Talbot will get the chance to back him up.

Unless Fletch flips the script and goes out and signs another backup because there was something he didn't like from Talbot.

But Cam had one of his his best two years of his career with AV in NY as a backup. 

If we can get those numbers i would be happy with him.

34 games started and was 21-9-0-4 2.21 gaa 926% with 5 shutouts.

That would leave Hart 48 starts not a bad number i say for his second year.

But i think Hart could start a little more than that and around 28 games for the backup is doable.

I have faith in AV and what he envisions for this group he will try to ice the best lineup to win and he will have a lot of good talent to chose from.

If he can get Jake to get his head out his ass with all the turnovers i think Jake has a chance to have the best year of his career and that could be huge.

I know several have mentioned the Leafs and their cap issues but i think Vegas is in need up some help with their cap as  well.

They have 19 guys signed with zero cap space right now.

They have 12 forwards, 6 men and one goalie and more than likely give Dansk the backup role but Subban and Fucale need new deals so those two can be used in a trade i think.

But they are ripe for their bones to be picked by teams starting at the draft.

I can see the Flyers getting involved to help them out.

Karlsson and Miller have been mentioned as targets...i can see Chuck picking up the phone to start the process.

7 hours ago, tucson83 said:

alot of prospects that were playing morin, myers, hagg unless they set the world on fire, might be going back to the phantoms.

Morin and Hagg have to go through waivers, I'm pretty sure. If that's the case, the Phantoms aren't an option.  They may be traded, but if they're still Flyers' property, they'll be in Philly. 

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Prospects will not be gifted spots and they're going to have to earn it. If they earn it, they'll play.

So, the "hextall theory" or "what every NHL GM says"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1