2019 Off-Season

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

What does my observation have to do with this

Uh i think you'll have to answer that you pointed it out.

49 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Watching Provorov play  this year I couldn't help but think there was/is something physically wrong with him.

See your comment so please answer yourself.

I was just pointing out the tourney starts May 10th so if he needs surgery or something why would he be playing.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Provorov wasn't good, it wouldn't have mattered if he was playing with Larry Robinson, he still wasn't taking slappers, displayed regression with is puck handling skill. 

Ok so it's a hypothetical, we'll never know if a better partner could have helped....thinking he had to do everything and was overdoing it making bad decisions sure...he didn't play well....he was their #1 playing against the best on every night. It was a not so well year for the kid i'm not that concerned he is just 22.

I have seen him play very very good he will get back there with some stability in the coaching realm...and this staff isn't it.

We seen Ivan, Sanheim, Hagg and Ghost all struggle this year.

But the whole team did.

Bottom line if he has a shoulder issue then he should take the time to rest and not play for Russia.

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure but i don't know how you can watch that top pair and say one guys looked bad and the other didn't. Travis was very shaky all year.

He had his moments where he provides offense. But to say one was not good and the other gets a bye is just terrible.

They both struggled a lot this year. Ivan is 22 Sanheim is 23. They both have a ways to go in their own end.

We have seen Ivan play well in his own end for a solid part of the season even though it was when he was younger.

I haven't seen it much yet from Sanheim. And they are going to have to play defense.

I guess you closed your eyes when it came to Travis then. He did as well. A lot.

Who said anything about Travis? I'm talking about Ivan.

I can see the Flyers giving Provorov getting a contract for close to what Ekblad signed if they want to go for 8 years into this UFA years.

So a 8 year 60+ type of deal could be a landing spot. Unless this past year scared year scared them and hey prefer to sign a shorter one.

Just now, brelic said:

Who said anything about Travis? I'm talking about Ivan.

I did. I guess you missed that somehow.

They were a pair the last half of the year...how you could watch one and say he struggled and that the others partner was on point is what i am trying to figure out.

I think Ivan will get back to what we saw in 2018-19. So i am not worried about it too much once they find a new staff.

If they recycle the staff then i can see him struggle again. 

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bottom line if he has a shoulder issue then he should take the time to rest and not play for Russia.

Absolutely.  100%  I hate these off season tournaments with a passion.

I would assume his entire arm didn't have the strength it should have and he may have been timid with the slap shot as a result.  

It may have even hurt a lot.  

That doesn't mean there's an underlying injury.  Some things take a long time to heal 100%, and even though he's very young (lord knows I healed faster when I was his age) it can prevent proper training and all that.  

The bigger problem in my estimation (because in honor of record store day tomorrow, I'm doing my broken record imitation again) was Hakstol.

When you read these quotes from Coots and Ghost (who recently admitted he was hurt almost all year) the recurring theme is that they're thinking too much.  That's Hakstol.  Coots was the big one talking about thinking too much at the start of games and that's why they fall behind and that's why he's better late because it takes him at least 20 minutes to shut off all that thinking.

That is absolutely one hundred percent Hakstol still in their heads confusing the living crap out of them with his complicated reasoning why his system and positioning really does work and why they're just not doing it right.  

A system doesn't have to be complicated to work.  Guys SHOULD be able to execute without thinking too hard.  They should be able to inherently know where there's supposed to go most of the time and be able to react quickly to having to adapt.   It wasn't like that Under Hakstol.

Now I guess it's possible that Hakstol had some scientific evidence that after 4 straight years of trying to execute his system, it would start to sink in for guys and they'd FINALLY know how to do it without having to break out an actuarial table for different situations.  

Maybe that's what he and Hextall knew all along?  That those Malcom Gladwellesque 10,000 hours of having to relearn hockey was almost up.  These guys were finally just about to "get it" for real.  My guess is NO, but I won't eliminate it from the realm of possibility.  What I will say is that even if that WAS the plan then they really should have made it public or something because otherwise it just looked like what it was (a coach that wasn't getting the NHL at all).  

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can see the Flyers giving Provorov getting a contract for close to what Ekblad signed if they want to go for 8 years into this UFA years.

So a 8 year 60+ type of deal could be a landing spot. Unless this past year scared year scared them and hey prefer to sign a shorter one.

Do we really think they offer him that after the season he had?  Isn't this a golden opportunity to "Simmonds" or "Coots" him and lock him at the lower rate?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I really can't see this happening.  Even if they keep Gordon.  And yes Lappy, even despite the PK turnaround, because if nothing else that showed us that Lappy apparently has NOTHING to do with it. 

I really want a new goalie coach while they're at it too.  

My guess is the Flyers will take a run at Matt Duchene and someone like Anton Stralman.  Coburn is available as well.. All I can is say after watching Talbot here in Edmonton for the past two seasons I hope the don't sign him. His game has regressed so much it's crazy.  I don't even know if he's an NHL goalie anymore.

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Do we really think they offer him that after the season he had?  Isn't this a golden opportunity to "Simmonds" or "Coots" him and lock him at the lower rate?

Yeah i could see it...and no i can't say what they will do...only speculate.

His 82 games played 17 goals and 24 assist for 41 points was a damn good year.

Karlsson's second year he put up 13 goals 32 assist for 45 points as a 20 year old. Not saying he is in Karlsson realm just pointing out the similarities.

Because Karlsson didn't have a bad 3rd year he had a better one. And his 4th one was a lockout year i think and it was meh.

But the 5th year was his true coming out party...and start of consistency.

So hard to say which way Ivan goes....and what the front office will do. 

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i could see it...and no i can't say what they will do...only speculate.

His 82 games played 17 goals and 24 assist for 41 points was a damn good year.

Karlsson's second year he put up 13 goals 32 assist for 45 points as a 20 year old. Not saying he is in Karlsson realm just pointing out the similarities.

Because Karlsson didn't have a bad 3rd year he had a better one. And his 4th one was a lockout year i think and it was meh.

But the 5th year was his true coming out party...and start of consistency.

So hard to say which way Ivan goes....and what the front office will do. 

Just to be clear, I'm not saying they shouldn't.  I'm saying it might be an opportunity to get away with it.  But that's 4.5 years of Hextall in my head maybe.  

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't want it. It time to hit reset on the bench.

What I was saying is that even if they Keep Gordon (which I understand you don't want) they should replace everyone else.  

As stated elsewhere, I'm in favor of replacing everyone AND Gordon, but not for the likes of a Capuano, Bylsma or Boudreau that they hire just because they have NHL experience.  

We need a real brain behind the bench as well as a motivator.  Essentially we need Laviolette, but Homer sank that ship a long damn time ago.  

14 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

My guess is the Flyers will take a run at Matt Duchene and someone like Anton Stralman.  Coburn is available as well.. All I can is say after watching Talbot here in Edmonton for the past two seasons I hope the don't sign him. His game has regressed so much it's crazy.  I don't even know if he's an NHL goalie anymore.

NO DUCHENE.  PLEASE NO.  It's no coincidence that every team he leaves gets better immediately and every team he is sent to falls apart almost immediately.

Stralman's a good idea depending on the term.

He'll likely cost a bit less than Tyler Myers who will break the bank (but I like him).

There's talk of the Jets being willing to trade Trouba's rights as well, but I think that's B.S. and can only imagine it happening if they decide to double down on the soon to be 30 year old Myers instead which feels unlikely to me.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

What I was saying is that even if they Keep Gordon (which I understand you don't want) they should replace everyone else. 

Yes i do not want this. But if they did they need to clean house below him and let him bring in his own guys.

My choices are Tippett, AV or if they want a new coach i would go with Keefe.

But i think they want a vet coach...just a hunch....

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes i do not want this. But if they did they need to clean house below him and let him bring in his own guys.

My choices are Tippett, AV or if they want a new coach i would go with Keefe.

But i think they want a vet coach...just a hunch....

Tippett and especially have proven themselves to be mediocre at best. 

Isnt' Tippett key in Seattle somehow right now?  Are we thinking he'd abandon that seemingly nebulous role for the sake of an NHL coaching gig?

I mean AV got swapped for Torts and then outperformed by him on TWO teams.  TORTs!  

I like Keefe.  I like that kind of hockey brain combined with a guy who knows how to motivate and knows how to work with young guys.  

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Tippett and especially have proven themselves to be mediocre at best.

I don't agree. He did a lot with a team who was spending at the floor every year in Arizona in fact won 50 games his first year in Arizona with the team being managed by the NHL. In fact his teams have won 50 games 3 times in his two tenures...that isn't just luck.

His just a senior advisor for Seattle so he is available to sign a contract.

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I mean AV got swapped for Torts and then outperformed by him on TWO teams.  TORTs!  

Huh?? Were did you get that.

Canucks were fresh off their back to back 50 game winning seasons the lockout year they lost in the first round and AV was fired.

Torts went to Vancouver and they missed the playoffs, the only year he coached in Vancouver and he went to Columbus.

AV went to NY and took them to the finals and went to the playoffs 3 more times after that, so i think you have your memory scrambled.

So i think AV is a better coach than Torts by leaps and bounds.

AV has won 50 games 3 times. Torts has done it twice.

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I was just pointing out the tourney starts May 10th so if he needs surgery or something why would he be playing

I guess you missed the part where it's an honor to represent your country and all...and if you're just "nicked" what's two more weeks ?

It's all good. I think he's physically not right in addition to all of your points. 

I think coaching and a lighter load may help to a degree, but I think some of what I saw wasn't mental.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I guess you missed the part where it's an honor to represent your country and all...and if you're just "nicked" what's two more weeks ?

No it's not the Olympics and he is supposed to sign a new contract before he plays so i expect his obligations to be with the Flyers first especially if they are about to sign you to a 60 mill deal for 8 years (also not saying they are going that route contract wise just an example).

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think he's physically not right in addition to all of your points. 

Exactly only he knows if he is healthy. F**k the worlds i'm being selfish. I want him rested up for next year.

If it's a nick than no big deal...but wasn't that were was it Giroux that got hurt and it ruined the following season because he was dealing with an injury that year or was it Ghost or am i just misremembering it all??

I don't i want a Cup it's all i care about so i wan my Flyers rested and ready to go next October.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't agree. He did a lot with a team who was spending at the floor every year in Arizona in fact won 50 games his first year in Arizona with the team being managed by the NHL. In fact his teams have won 50 games 3 times in his two tenures...that isn't just luck.

His just a senior advisor for Seattle so he is available to sign a contract.

Huh?? Were did you get that.

Canucks were fresh off their back to back 50 game winning seasons the lockout year they lost in the first round and AV was fired.

Torts went to Vancouver and they missed the playoffs, the only year he coached in Vancouver and he went to Columbus.

AV went to NY and took them to the finals and went to the playoffs 3 more times after that, so i think you have your memory scrambled.

So i think AV is a better coach than Torts by leaps and bounds.

AV has won 50 games 3 times. Torts has done it twice.

Sorry didn't explain it well becasue I'm trying to work while writing.

Vignault did better with the Rangers, but Torts did better with the Bolts and has since been better with the BJ's.  

Also, it should be known that I really kinda hate Torts.  

Regarding Tippett... It isn't pretty that Tocchet's doing better with that roster.  

I fully admit that I'm pretty biased against any former NHL coaches that aren't of the caliber of a Trotz or Quenneville.

Having been an NHL coach on your CV isnt' enough.

Edited by King Knut

54 minutes ago, King Knut said:

NO DUCHENE.  PLEASE NO.  It's no coincidence that every team he leaves gets better immediately and every team he is sent to falls apart almost immediately.

Stralman's a good idea depending on the term.

He'll likely cost a bit less than Tyler Myers who will break the bank (but I like him).

There's talk of the Jets being willing to trade Trouba's rights as well, but I think that's B.S. and can only imagine it happening if they decide to double down on the soon to be 30 year old Myers instead which feels unlikely to me.  

Problem with Duchene is his other teams have used him as a number 1 center. I think he fits perfectly as a number 2.  70 points in 73 games this year.  Will upgrade your power play immediately.  Not a lot of other choices out there with that type of offensive production.

16 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Problem with Duchene is his other teams have used him as a number 1 center. I think he fits perfectly as a number 2.  70 points in 73 games this year.  Will upgrade your power play immediately.  Not a lot of other choices out there with that type of offensive production.

Can he get paid like a #2 center that we plan to be a #3 in 2 or 3 years?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I did. I guess you missed that somehow.

They were a pair the last half of the year...how you could watch one and say he struggled and that the others partner was on point is what i am trying to figure out.

I think Ivan will get back to what we saw in 2018-19. So i am not worried about it too much once they find a new staff.

I didn't say that Sanheim was on point. I didn't even mention him. I understand that there are dynamics between players, just like forwards. 

But I can look at Provorov's game in isolation, and I saw some concerning patterns. I think he'll be fine long-term, and this is just part of development. 

Much like Patrick, though, Hextall expected these guys to take steps forward and they didn't. So bringing in more proven and experienced players removes those expectations, (hopefully) makes the team better, and allows them to grow and develop in roles that are more suited for where they are now. 

• Like 2

@brelic

So we'll try one of your suggestions....slow day. And a little different variation.

19 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 28 Claude Giroux 
27 Anders Lee  - 95 Matt Duchene - 93 Jake Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 38 Ryan Hartman 

12 Michael Raffl

Or...

19 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 28 Claude Giroux 
27 Anders Lee  - 13 Kevin Hayes- 93 Jake Voracek

12 Michael Raffl

So which one would be the better choice??

And before being asked i know it would be a lot to ask Farabee to come in and play on the top line.

But i am intrigued by a line that looks like that.

Plus i also like the way that 4th line looks i think it can be really productive with that combo.

And that 2nd line with 6-4 Lee and 6-5 Hayes  6-2 Voracek would be a huge line to grind with the other teams.

This is also if the guys i suggest don't resign with their current teams.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

@brelic

So we'll try one of your suggestions....slow day. And a little different variation.

19 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 28 Claude Giroux 
27 Anders Lee  - 95 Matt Duchene - 93 Jake Voracek

12 Michael Raffl

Or...

19 Joel Farabee - 14 Sean Couturier - 28 Claude Giroux 
27 Anders Lee  - 13 Kevin Hayes- 93 Jake Voracek

12 Michael Raffl

So which one would be the better choice??

And before being asked i know it would be a lot to ask Farabee to come in and play on the top line.

But i am intrigued by a line that looks like that.

Plus i also like the way that 4th line looks i think it can be really productive with that combo.

And that 2nd line with 6-4 Lee and 6-5 Hayes  6-2 Voracek would be a huge line to grind with the other teams.

This is also if the guys i suggest don't resign with their current teams.

I like the Hayes idea. I really don't like Duchene. 

I like Lee. It's fine, if extremely unlikely. 

I do find it interesting that a college kid goes straight to the top line while back to back first and second place point finishes in juniors goes to the AHL. 

Edited by ruxpin