2019 Off-Season

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I like the Hayes idea. I really don't like Duchene. 

I like Lee. It's fine, if extremely unlikely. 

I do find it interesting that a college kid goes straight to the top line while back to back first and second place point finishes in juniors goes to the AHL. 

I guess you're talking about Farabee?

I got him on the top line because he is good defensively unlike JVR and he is the best pure goal scorer they Flyers have of all their prospects and Coots and Giroux need a shooter.

And if he looks like he isn't ready then you can send him to the AHL and put Raffl on the 4th and bump everyone up on the LW or fix them how you like.

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess you're talking about Farabee?

I got him on the top line because he is good defensively unlike JVR and he is the best pure goal scorer they Flyers have of all their prospects and Coots and Giroux need a shooter.

And if he looks like he isn't ready then you can send him to the AHL and put Raffl on the 4th and bump everyone up on the LW or fix them how you like.

Well, Farabee, and Frost. 

Just found the wide difference interesting.  Not challenging it, necessarily. Just interesting. 

49 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Well, Farabee, and Frost. 

Just found the wide difference interesting.  Not challenging it, necessarily. Just interesting. 

Frost is more in the realm of a playmaker passer setup man.

And sure he is a shooter somewhat too.

But college your playing against more mature guys in the age range of 20-23 and 24.

Junior it's against a lot 16, 17 and sometimes 20 to 21 years olds and the 21 year olds who are still in junior aren't that good it's why they are mostly in junior still.

So the AHL could be a slight bump up progression.

And sure if he looks good in camp and preseason then you need to find room for him so it would be a good problem.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm a Brock Nelson fan. I think with the way the Flyers are built, Duchene will be out of the question. Don't forget that he talked about Tavares and free agency and honestly, I think he's looking for a $10+ million pay out. No thanks. If the Flyers bring in Brock Nelson, I'd construct things as follows:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

JVR - Nelson - Connolly (I really want Connolly from Washington to man the 3RW spot)

Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

UFA extra

I'm thinking we're going to see the end of NAK in the Philadelphia organization. I also like that this doesn't rush Farabee or Frost into the lineup. Let them go to Lehigh Valley and have a year uninterrupted. Let all these guys plays together (Laberge, Bunnaman, Farabee, Frost, Rubtsov, Ratcliffe, etc....) and just let them learn and win together. Winning breeds familiarity and then next season, when training camp rolls around, they can really push guys on the roster and can probably land spots. Just let them play in all situations and win together. 

As for defense, I do the following:

Provorov - Karlsson

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Meyers

Friedman

I thought Trouba might be the guy they target, but I think the asking price will be outrageous. With regards to Karlsson, if San Jose wanted him around, he would have been signed by now. I think there's some smoke to the story that his wife did not want to leave Ottawa and that she wants to be close to Ottawa, so the teams on the Eastern Seaboard will have a chance at him. Right now, the Flyers have the most money and the most assets to compete immediately. Having Karlsson onboard also means the Flyers have an all star veteran compliment to their youngsters, and I can only see positive things from Karlsson affecting Provorov, Sanheim and Meyers.

The sad news in all of this is that it means it's the end of Ghost here. I would have loved to keep Ghost here and learn from Karlsson, but it's clear that there's a disconnect between the Flyers brass and Ghost and that maybe he needs a new start somewhere else. I can see a deal centered on picks and prospects to keep the pipeline full in Philadelphia. The good news with Karlsson signing is that we'll finally see the end of MacDumbDumb and Hagg. Good riddance to both!

Finally, the Flyers need a competent and capable backup to Hart. Looking at the list of UFAs, there'd only be two guys I'd be interested in - Semyon Varlamov and Robin Lehner. You've got veterans who are capable starters and could help mentor Hart along. Some might disagree, but I think one of these guys would be a great fit. Remember, we're probably going to see some sort of sophmore jinx with Hart as well, so having one of those guys would certainly help in case that does happen. Having someone help lift the heavy load of expectations on Hart's shoulders will certainly help. 

So yeah, that's my lineup I want to see.

As for coach, I'm starting to think that Vigneault is probably going to be the guy they hire. Hopefully he gets to bring in his own assistants too. I want to see the end of Laperriere and Knoblauch. Let Rick Wilson retire gracefully and let Dillabaugh decide where he wants to go or if he wants to stay (he's done good work with Hart, so I see no reason for him to go -> I know some will point to Elliott, Neuvirth and Mrazek as reasons why he should go, but it's not his fault that Elliott fell apart, Neuvirth was always hurt and Mrazek never listened to instruction). 

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'd construct things as follows

I could see Brock Nelson as an option. But as an option if Hayes can't be signed.  

Hayes is a little younger and has experience playing RW too. Not sure of Nelson on the wing.

Plus Hayes is a better faceoff guy. Plus i think Hayes is better in his own end.

However the Jets could resign him.

14 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm thinking we're going to see the end of NAK in the Philadelphia organization

I would at least pencil him in as the 12th or 13th forward.

He is worth a look there and then maybe if you can't find a spot for him then i guess find another team for him. Myself i think he can help the team in the bottom 6 and he is good 5 on 5.

Plus he could bring some grit and snarl that is needed down there.

But who knows how the front office feels about hi he could become the Leier of 2019.

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Provorov - Karlsson

Sanheim - Gudas

Morin - Meyers

Friedman

Can they sign EK?? Not sure.

And to move Ghost and Hagg it needs to be for a very very good return otherwise i would keep Ghost.

Friedman could be in the AHL and then Morin or Gudas or Ghost could be the 7th. Sure that is not ideal but i would want to move Ghost without a helluva return if for no other reason to hold onto him and try at the deadline to move someone injuries always happen.

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

there'd only be two guys I'd be interested in - Semyon Varlamov and Robin Lehner.

Lehner will be resigned by NYI and i think Bob walks and Columbus could sign Varly...otherwise i have no objection to either of those guys if you can get them to back Hart up.

Curtis McElhinney would be worth kicking the tires on too.

I am for sure ready to put 2018-19 in the rear view mirror... 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Anyone can do this....

I'm all for Frost making the team if he earns it.

*IF* he spent this year trying to learn the game away from the puck like he was asked, then I'd be giddy about his making the team.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 mentioned keeping him in Lehigh with Farabee and some of the others.  I don't think that's a bad plan.  I mean, I'm impatient and want to see them NOW, but I think big picture, it's probably the smarter way to go.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

*IF* he spent this year trying to learn the game away from the puck like he was asked, then I'd be giddy about his making the team.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 mentioned keeping him in Lehigh with Farabee and some of the others.  I don't think that's a bad plan.  I mean, I'm impatient and want to see them NOW, but I think big picture, it's probably the smarter way to go.

I am fine with them all playing in LV and growing together.

They should have a stacked lineup.

Bunnaman

Frost 

Farabee

Ratcliffe

Kase

Rubtsov

Laberge 

Strome

Twarynski

Vorobyev

That is 10 good prospects to go with Goulbourne and whomever else is already there.

I wonder if they are going to sign Sushko or let him play another year of juniors.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Having Karlsson onboard also means the Flyers have an all star veteran compliment to their youngsters, and I can only see positive things from Karlsson affecting Provorov, Sanheim and Meyers.

Sorry I may catch some flak for this,  and I am fine with it but for the money EK is going to want and space he will require I just want to pass on him now.

He just isn't the same as 2 to 3 years ago.

He isn't good in his own end anymore and now his offense is missing in action.

Add to that a groin injury that just don't ever seem to go away for good and I have to say hard pass on EK for the Flyers.

I'd rather a guy who can fill a role on the blueline at a fraction of the cost.

Give me Stralman to help groom the kids.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I wonder what will happen to Brayden Point. Resigning him is going to be very difficult given they also have to fill in almost their entire defensive corps and only have 1.5M in space right now. 

They have a little over 6 for next season and Point is an RFA with no arb rights.

But they clearly were all in for this year and it's almost bit them.

55 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have a little over 6 for next season and Point is an RFA with no arb rights.

But they clearly were all in for this year and it's almost bit them.

They have five of nine current dmen coming off the books this season as well. If they sign Point, it likely means they'll lose at least two of their vets on the back end -- possibly three depending on how much money he wants. Sergachev's contract is up next year as well.

Welcome to cap hell, Bolts.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, elmatus said:

They have five of nine current dmen coming off the books this season as well. If they sign Point, it likely means they'll lose at least two of their vets on the back end -- possibly three depending on how much money he wants. Sergachev's contract is up next year as well.

Welcome to cap hell, Bolts.

well, it's not entirely about what "he" wants - he is an RFA. Tampa has a little bit of the driver's seat and can qualify him and keep his rights. If he pulls a Nylander, it's not like they need him.

They also have some nice pieces at fairly respectable numbers they could move.

But, yeah, it is cap hell.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

well, it's not entirely about what "he" wants - he is an RFA. Tampa has a little bit of the driver's seat and can qualify him and keep his rights. If he pulls a Nylander, it's not like they need him.

They also have some nice pieces at fairly respectable numbers they could move.

But, yeah, it is cap hell.

Unless there is an offer sheet...

So the team's carcasses I was hoping to pick over are NOT cooperating by sucking in round 1- looking at you Columbus and you too NYI....

However maybe it's time to move on from the loser  core in Tampa? 

Point, Cirelli, Hedman... while  we're all dreaming of Sasquatch riding unicorns let's quit kidding around and really delude ourselves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So the team's carcasses I was hoping to pick over are NOT cooperating by sucking in round 1- looking at you Columbus and you too NYI....

However maybe it's time to move on from the loser  core in Tampa? 

Point, Cirelli, Hedman... while  we're all dreaming of Sasquatch riding unicorns let's quit kidding around and really delude ourselves. 

Voracek and McDud for Kucherov and Hedman straight up.

• Good Post 1

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry I may catch some flak for this,  and I am fine with it but for the money EK is going to want and space he will require I just want to pass on him now.

He just isn't the same as 2 to 3 years ago.

He isn't good in his own end anymore and now his offense is missing in action.

Add to that a groin injury that just don't ever seem to go away for good and I have to say hard pass on EK for the Flyers.

I'd rather a guy who can fill a role on the blueline at a fraction of the cost.

Give me Stralman to help groom the kids.

I'm not sure his offense is missing in action, but I think it will be and I definitely agree with the rest of it.  I don't want the money nor the term.  We'll be SCREAMING in the second half of it.  And I don't think the team he's currently on--which is much better than the Flyers--is going to win with him.  I just don't see the ROI unless one is talking about sweater sales.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I hadn't really considered the "Sasquatch riding a Unicorn" approach, no.

👺

Yeah, the offer sheet briefly passed through my mind as well (followed quickly by, "I wonder if we have any cheese").  

I just don't see the Flyers, in particular, going that route, and I don't see other teams having the stomach for it, either.  I think the teams are happy to continue with their collusion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@radoran   @OccamsRazor

Just for fun, not for reality probably.

You my fanboy thing for Frost.  But Frost (and maybe something--Ghost?) for Point gets them out of cap hell and gets us a young 2C. 

Counter or dismiss. 

I'm not moving on Frost. I think he hits his projected ceiling and he's the Giroux replacement for a long time. Honestly, I'd be more inclined to move Nolan Patrick over Morgan Frost.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm not moving on Frost. I think he hits his projected ceiling and he's the Giroux replacement for a long time. Honestly, I'd be more inclined to move Nolan Patrick over Morgan Frost.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to where you are on Frost.

If Patrick + got it done, I'd push you out of the way to make it happen. LOL   I really wouldn't even blink.