2019 Off-Season

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Since Philly hasn't been in the Playoffs for a while

Uh last year...maybe with a healthy Elliott they beat the Penguins but they didn't and go bounced.

Nylander is better than anything i would offer for him.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

His MNTC is a list of ten teams he can't be traded to. What we've learned these MNTC lists tend to be Playoff teams. 

Since Philly hasn't been in the Playoffs for a while, they may not have made the list. No offense.

But we've also heard rumors that Fenton has been pitching a tent over William Nylander and is considering offering Spurgeon to Toronto for him...

Not sure how much I like that for Minny.  No offense, but the last thing the Wild need is a soft player like Nylander. 

While I don't think Spurgeon is what the Flyers need at present, I think he'd be a great get for Toronto.  My real concern for Minny is giving up Spurgeon and a high pick for Nylander. I'm concerned they're going to overpay.  I don't know.  

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

His MNTC is a list of ten teams he can't be traded to. What we've learned these MNTC lists tend to be Playoff teams. 

Since Philly hasn't been in the Playoffs for a while, they may not have made the list. No offense.

But we've also heard rumors that Fenton has been pitching a tent over William Nylander and is considering offering Spurgeon to Toronto for him...

2017/18 was the last time the flyers were in the playoffs.  

Its not like it's been  long drought- but point taken , the organization has been a bit of a monkey fukin a football recently. 

• Like 1

@elmatus

Completely understood, moving from Minnesota to Philadelphia could be considered a lateral move.  I think though there are more quality prospects in Phila and the coach is better (now). So I do see a yellow arrow pointing up when I think about our team, I see a yellow arrow pointing sideways when I think of the Wild.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Not sure how much I like that for Minny.  No offense, but the last thing the Wild need is a soft player like Nylander. 

While I don't think Spurgeon is what the Flyers need at present, I think he'd be a great get for Toronto.  My real concern for Minny is giving up Spurgeon and a high pick for Nylander. I'm concerned they're going to overpay.  I don't know.  

The Wild seem to attract those types...must be the Minnesota Nice thing...

And considering that Fenton was originally going to send Granlund to Nashville and retain part of his salary in exchange for Fiala, I am not holding out much hope that Fenton is going to turn the Wild around...

• Uggh... 1

On 4/27/2019 at 8:28 PM, ruxpin said:

I don't think he's anything the Flyers actually need.

How about TJ Brodie??

Will be 29 this offseason has one more year on his current contract (4.6 mill). 

A right hand shot a solid vet like two defenseman.

Just looking around at options..i seen where Flames want to shake it up some.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about TJ Brodie??

Will be 29 this offseason has one more year on his current contract (4.6 mill). 

A right hand shot a solid vet like two defenseman.

Just looking around at options..i seen where Flames want to shake it up some.

I would consider it.  The only box he doesn't check off for me--and I may be over-exaggerating the definition, or even need, of this--is the "teaching" factor.   It's why Stralman attracts me.  The other thing that attracts me with him is the possibility of doing it without giving up assets.  Obviously, getting him necessitates someone else going because there just isn't room for everyone.  But the hope would be that piece (or pieces) could be used to get something else we need. 

I'm okay with Brodie though, I think. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I would consider it.  The only box he doesn't check off for me--and I may be over-exaggerating the definition, or even need, of this--is the "teaching" factor.   It's why Stralman attracts me.  The other thing that attracts me with him is the possibility of doing it without giving up assets.  Obviously, getting him necessitates someone else going because there just isn't room for everyone.  But the hope would be that piece (or pieces) could be used to get something else we need. 

I'm okay with Brodie though, I think. 

Good points.

So who goes to make room for Stralman??

Someone needs to be sent packing.

Provorov/Stralman

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Myers

Morin

I've buried Mcdud on the Phantoms for his last year.

Hagg???

It's who i would move if i have to pick....i mean if you someone else you might get a higher return...

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good points.

So who goes to make room for Stralman??

Someone needs to be sent packing.

Provorov/Stralman

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Myers

Morin

I've buried Mcdud on the Phantoms for his last year.

Hagg???

It's who i would move if i have to pick....i mean if you someone else you might get a higher return...

Yeah, I agree with your pairings and I agree on both counts on Hagg:  I think he's likely the odd man out, and I think you'd get more return if it's someone else. 

I still actually like Hagg more than most here seem to, but I'm coming to the conclusion that might just be stubbornness on my part. 

I'm thinking a team like Toronto could actually use someone young that actually hits. 

Hagg obviously doesn't get you Marner or Nylander (and I can't say that I actually want Nylander, though buying low may be the time to do it).  I'd shoot for Kapanen, but I have a hard time believing he's the guy they'd move since it's the others that will push their cap and, to date, with no results so far. 

I wonder about Tampa. They might need to do young and cheap.  I'm not sure who I'd want back that would also be realistic. 

I can't think of who else, but if the idea is to build up the bottom six forwards, Hagg could be the piece to get that done. 

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I still actually like Hagg more than most here seem to, but I'm coming to the conclusion that might just be stubbornness on my part. 

I like him at times to me is a polarizing player i think....he does something well and then he will do some WTF was that stuff.

He is the Jake Voracek of the defense for lack of a better term....so someone has to go.

Someone comes in and makes me a better/solid offer for another defenseman on the roster i will listen.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone
  • Like 2

Give me Stralman, move Hagg, McDonald and if they decide to move Ghost, it best be for one hell of a good player or package of picks.

As for the kids, I don't think we'll see Frost or Farabee start with the Flyers. Gut feeling is that they're going to get the Giroux treatment via the AHL. Let them dominate down there.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Give me Stralman, move Hagg, McDonald and if they decide to move Ghost, it best be for one hell of a good player or package of picks.

As for the kids, I don't think we'll see Frost or Farabee start with the Flyers. Gut feeling is that they're going to get the Giroux treatment via the AHL. Let them dominate down there.

I agree. 

I have a feeling that if it's only one of Farabee or Frost starting the year on the Flyers that it's Farabee. 

This is admittedly insane, but pretend the Flyers draft Caulfield. I'd prefer to let Caulfield grow a bit, but a 4th line of Farabee, Frost, and Caulfield would have controlled ice time while presenting some matchup issues for other teams. 

If Eklund is to be believed, and he's what a 20% of the time right guy, the Flyers are interested in Mitch Marner.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=99211&blogger_id=1

He's saying offer sheet, maybe, but Toronto would match. 

Extending Marner might mean 3- 10 million a year forwards on the Leafs with zero help defensively.  The Leafs really missed Khadri's contributions once he was suspended...30 million tied up in 3 guys makes for some problems with depth, see Blackhawks: Chicago or Penguins: Pittsburgh. 

If this article were true, and I am considering the source so feel free so save your fingers from typing, "Well it's Ek", what would we the Flyers fan base be willing to give up to bring that talented guy to Philadelphia ?

He is a sick, filthy bitch. 

Can the Flyers extend him for less than 10 million a year ?

I think I would trade, Hagg and Ghost for him. I think I would trade Ghost and Gudas, I think I would trade Myers and Gudas.

I don't think I would trade Provorov, I know I wouldn't trade Provorov and Koneckny as the link suggests...would I trade Koneckny and Ghost ?  man I don't know,  I love how TK plays I know Marner is a stud, I'd rather see Marner and Koneckny together, would I trade Patrick with Ghost for Marner ?   that's a lot but I think I do it, even though I do like Patrick and think he'll be a handful soon. 

what are some other thoughts?

54 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Can the Flyers extend him for less than 10 million a year ?

I think I would trade, Hagg and Ghost for him. I think I would trade Ghost and Gudas, I think I would trade Myers and Gudas.

I don't think I would trade Provorov, I know I wouldn't trade Provorov and Koneckny as the link suggests...would I trade Koneckny and Ghost ?  man I don't know,  I love how TK plays I know Marner is a stud, I'd rather see Marner and Koneckny together, would I trade Patrick with Ghost for Marner ?   that's a lot but I think I do it, even though I do like Patrick and think he'll be a handful soon. 

Just playing along.

i don't know that we extend for less than $10.  You might get away with in the $9 neighborhood, but he has to at least get Draisaitl money, doesn't he?   He might be a good benchmark.  

As for giving things up.   Hagg/Ghost, NAK/Hartman, and our #11 pick.   I stay away from Konecny, myself.   You could potentially move Voracek afterward to try to make up for the added cap of Marner.

I think in such a deal Provorov, Myers, and Sanheim (I would think Sanheim would be a target for Toronto) and Konecny would need to stay off the table.

I think I'm okay with moving Patrick but would rather not.  He hasn't done much so far, but I have a suspicion he will yet blossom into a player we'll regret having moved.

With JVR and Marner, we wouldn't have too many former Leafs, would we?  I mean, one is actually already too many.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

I wonder if we could trade MacDonald to Toronto.  He'd be a lot less than Marner's money, only has one year remaining, and would probably be the 3rd best defenseman on the Leafs.   Not one-for-one, but part of some package.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

As for giving things up.   Hagg/Ghost, NAK/Hartman, and our #11 pick.   I stay away from Konecny, myself.   You could potentially move Voracek afterward to try to make up for the added cap of Marner.

I think in such a deal Provorov, Myers, and Sanheim (I would think Sanheim would be a target for Toronto) and Konecny would need to stay off the table.

I think I'm okay with moving Patrick but would rather not.  He hasn't done much so far, but I have a suspicion he will yet blossom into a player we'll regret having moved.

I hadn't considered NAK as a resource,  I think I like that deal better.

I too am not wild about dealing Patrick because I do think he'll be really good and I dig his compete level.

I am not wild about Koneckny being included because that kid plays the way I think everyone should play. 

It is funny reading the comments on that post. 

Provorov would most likely be the best defensman in the building should he be traded- but there are the TML fans saying no way, they're riding and dying with Morgan Rielly.

#9 is better than Adam Larsson IMO and he was worth the 2nd best player on the Oil... and so if we were to trade Provorov, Marner is fair. Actually they need to send a pick, because defense.  

But there is no way i'm trading Provorov. 

Kind of fun to think about though, Mitch Marner is a true talent, generational ?  - i dunno, he's really good- I don't think I would give up a #1 D for him. maybe i'm not wise though.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

#9 is better than Adam Larsson IMO and he was worth the 2nd best player on the Oil... and so if we were to trade Provorov, Marner is fair. Actually they need to send a pick, because defense.  

But there is no way i'm trading Provorov. 

Kind of fun to think about though, Mitch Marner is a true talent, generational ?  - i dunno, he's really good- I don't think I would give up a #1 D for him. maybe i'm not wise though.

If it were straight up or we were getting pick/prospect back, I would consider Provorov.   Ultimately, I think I'd walk away.  We have so many kids coming on defense, though, that it would be tempting to roll the dice.

An eventual line of Farabee-Frost-Marner makes me giddy, though.   Even Patrick in there instead of Frost.   

And if we get out of it with Konecny still a Flyer, the possibilities are really tempting.

• Like 1

If we make an offer for Marner, Toronto will certainly match and just dump some other players to free up cap space. To me,  the best move is to offer sheet Kapanen . Why would they match when doing so would just  put them deeper into cap trouble  and make it that much harder to sign Marner. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we make an offer for Marner, Toronto will certainly match and just dump some other players to free up cap space. To me,  the best move is to offer sheet Kapanen . Why would they match when doing so would just  put them deeper into cap trouble  and make it that much harder to sign Marner. 

What do you want to do? Become the Edmonton Oilers part two?  They drove the price up on Vanek and stuck it up our keesters big time.  Came out of freaking no where and knew we would never let him get away.  Likely did it to stick it to us.  Bastards

Leafs will not let Marner go.  I don't know all of the ins and outs of the Leafs' cap position and player needs, but I'm pretty certain they will move whatever assets they need to move to free up cap space to keep him and they will do so before July 1 (probably at or close to the draft). 

Also, although everyone knows the Leafs need to free up cap space, I don't think Kadri, Nylander or Kapanen will come cheap.  There will be multiple teams bidding against each other which will keep the price up.  Do I think the Leafs get full value?  No.  But I don't see them having to take crumbs for these players.  Btw, I don't think Nylander gets traded.  I think Kadri is gone (although his on-ice antics hurt his value somewhat) and probably Kapanen as well.

Again, I think moves are made before July 1.  The Leafs are in win-now mode and want NHL Players.  Draft picks don't help.  Once they figure out who they can live without, they will move that player for NHL players and avoid a potential offer sheet where they have virtually no control.

Assuming that's the Leafs' timeline, it makes things very interesting for potential suitors.  Do you trade for Kadri or Kapanen or do you wait to see if you can get a center or winger in UFA?

I don't care what anyone says, i'm gonna keep dreaming the Mitch Marner pipe dream because he's a natural - the like of which we haven't seen since Mike Richards for West German BMW.

and this apple spot which is awesome.

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't care what anyone says, i'm gonna keep dreaming the Mitch Marner pipe dream because he's a natural - the like of which we haven't seen since Mike Richards for West German BMW.

and this apple spot which is awesome.

Nothing wrong with dreaming...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nothing wrong with dreaming...

In that case, we get both Point and Marner this offseason and they both like UPENN girls enough that they each sign extensions for $4M.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 2