NHL Bracket Challenge for 2019

WordsOfWisdom

Having spent many a day at Canterbury Downs, These PO's with such a clear cut favorite in Tampa Bay reminds me of many races with a 3-5 Fav. Not worth even betting but ripe for an upset. 

Question is who?  and when?.  So, Why not?.....

Hope this works, I just did a screenshot of my picks the first day NHL.com put up the bracket.

Btw, LOL...Disregard the typo in "goals scored"😜 because you know #4 is so close to the #9

2019 PO bracket.jpg

Edited by ClusterChuck

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Having spent many a day at Canterbury Downs, These PO's with such a clear cut favorite in Tampa Bay reminds me of many races with a 3-5 Fav. Not worth even betting but ripe for an upset. 

I really DIDN'T want to pick Tampa to win..... because the favourite rarely ever wins the Cup.  I just couldn't select anyone else over Tampa because nobody impressed me among the remaining teams. It's really Tampa and everyone else. If there was anyone even remotely close in points it might have been intriguing, but there was no good reason not to select Tampa to win it all.  :)

• Like 1

FYI. I made a small change. I picked St. Louis to win Game 7 over the Jets in Winnipeg. I have 3 first round series going 7, Vegas over San Jose, NY Islanders over Pittsburgh, and the previously mentioned Winnipeg-St. Louis matchup. 

Edited by FD19372

13 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I really DIDN'T want to pick Tampa to win..... because the favourite rarely ever wins the Cup.  I just couldn't select anyone else over Tampa because nobody impressed me among the remaining teams. It's really Tampa and everyone else. If there was anyone even remotely close in points it might have been intriguing, but there was no good reason not to select Tampa to win it all.  :)

My theory is, unless the team's name is the Washington Capitals, I almost always go with the team that dominated the regular season like Tampa did.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I hear ya. I always look for an upset early hence me picking Carolina to upset the Caps. But like Bill Murray said...

It was good but, It just wasn't great ...So I went after the Bolts.:P The East overall is so much stronger, I figured if it happens it'll be there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

I'm dying to pick a Canadian team to win it all, but I just can't do it. It's a shame. No Canadian team has won a Cup since 1993. Hard to believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time a Canadian team entered the Stanley Cup playoffs as the favourite to win it all was probably the ~1989-90 Edmonton Oilers?  (Somewhere around there.)

Even that Montreal team that won in 1993 was an average playoff team. They weren't a juggernaut during the regular season. 

Unless I'm missing someone. Where did Vancouver finish during their Cup final season? How about the Sens from ~2007?

4 hours ago, fan4ever said:

Can I change my bracket?????  😏

I feel the same. I knew Pittsburgh/New York was a gamble, and I'd probably lose on that one. I had no idea Tampa was going to disappear in round one. Makes you wonder how they feel about their regular season now. Probably something along the lines of "why bother". 

A team that dominated the league for 82 games is about to be eliminated by a team that shouldn't even be in the playoffs to begin with.

• Like 1

I can't believe the NHL.com Bracket advertised a 'Second chance'. :bonkingheadonwall:

Boo Hoo, So your 'pick' failed. Take your participation trophy and watch some interesting Hockey now.

For the 1st time ever I went 0-4 in the RD1 West. So what??

I'm going to go out and shake my fist at some clouds now.:P

...and then watch and hope the Islanders go take the Cup.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

I can't believe the NHL.com Bracket advertised a 'Second chance'. :bonkingheadonwall:

Boo Hoo, So your 'pick' failed. Take your participation trophy and watch some interesting Hockey now.

For the 1st time ever I went 0-4 in the RD1 West. So what??

I'm going to go out and shake my fist at some clouds now.:P

...and then watch and hope the Islanders go take the Cup.

First I thought it was a typical whining Québec thing: "Boohohooo, we lost, we have been robbed by the mean WC teams, it's the league's fault, let's have a second chance, we deserve it". But... no. And if the 2nd round also finish with upsetting surprises like the Blues out in 4 and the Bruins out in 4, would there be a "NHL Bracket Challenge Third Chance", and then a "Fourth chance" if the results don't please the majority of the predictions ?!?! Lame and Stupid.

In that sense, why not replaying the 1st round for real ? All division winners are out, it's not normal, let's replay this.

I'm 2-8 overall in the first round, and that could have been worse if I haven't picked the Blues in 6, my only fully correct prediction... And the guys who didn't pick TB for the cup, well, congratulations to them. There's one poster who picked the Isles as SC winner, and they actually win, big up and much respect for him, no more no less.

I'll pass my turn on the losers' 2nd chance bracket.

Edited by Villette/Lavaux
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not changing my bracket.  I have the St Louis Blues to win the Cup and I am not changing that for all the whiskey in Ireland.  I say my bracket is going to win two years in a row.  I had Washington last year.  I do not think anyone that gets a second chance should win this if the Blues do win. It should be mine and you can put a crown on my head.  LOL.  I am going to take this sucker to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, pilldoc said:

ok ...since my son picked a team last night for HF.net ....here is his bracket ...

his moniker is (doc jr.) :)

image.thumb.png.aade4823dc99d0a741c3211b2e4f2406.png

I would say you are still kicking if you can beat my Blues in the Western final?  But I do not see that happening

On 5/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

Win or lose i think I have this for the second year in a row

How come I didn't get any points for St. Louis reaching the finals???  I had the correct team from the West and didn't earn any points in my bracket for it.  :(

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How come I didn't get any points for St. Louis reaching the finals???  I had the correct team from the West and didn't earn any points in my bracket for it.  :(

Well I am not the scorekeeper.  I thought I was the only one with the Blues?  I have them winning it all.  I think over Tampa like an idiot. I caved into conventional wisdom in the East.  Who did you have winning?  I have to go find yours. There are 14 entries.  I guess if you did better than me before the final you could still beat me.  If the Blues win, and I like them to, you cant win

No, I looked it up, I have you beat up to the final.  I have this.  Its over

Edited by Hockey Junkie
  • Uggh... 1

On 5/24/2019 at 4:52 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

You did get points.  But I got more

• 3 weeks later...